28 years later, a no-disc version of the Sega CD finally exists—and it works

Wait, is my old SegaCD worth $300? I may need to pull it out and hit Ebay. Well maybe after I finish Lunar again at least.

I was highly tempted by a CDX that I saw in the window of a shop in Manchester during a visit to the UK last month; that was £320. But I told myself: I'm sure it'll be cheaper on eBay, and then I won't have to fit it into my luggage.

Despite its reputation for terrible FMV games, the Sega CD could actually do a lot more than the Super Nintendo or any other console of the era. Core Design got a lot out of it for non-FMV gaming, see e.g. Battle Corps.

Upvote
29 (29 / 0)

Thad Boyd

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Fascinating. I've got a Mega EverDrive X7 and a Model 2 Sega CD; the latter's got a dead battery and I've been thinking of getting it fixed. (The X7 can emulate the memory cartridge, so I can still save games, but it's annoying to have to reformat the system memory every time I want to play a Sega CD game.)

The price on this is a bit rich for my blood at the moment, but it's something to keep an eye on.

ETA:

If you want another reason to spend so much, MegaSD apparently allows users to load Genesis, Mega Drive, and Sega Master System games by dumping them onto an SD card as ROMs (though exactly how you'll dump ROMs from your existing, legitimately acquired cartridges or CDs is up to you).

You can legally purchase Genesis/Mega Drive ROMs on Steam; no cartridge required. Sega's Genesis/Mega Drive Classics are just unencrypted ROMs bundled with an emulator.

Upvote
47 (47 / 0)
Upvote
18 (18 / 0)
Also Terra Onion is working on an adapter to connect the Mega SD to the Expansion port on the side and then you will be able to run the 3 32X CD games.

Wait, I have Fahrenheit, Corpse Killer, and Night Trap on 32X. I'm pretty sure Slam City was also 32X, so there are at least four.

Edit: A quick DuckDuckGo™ search reveals there were six.

http://www.poprewind.com/6-sega-cd-32x- ... they-made/

Specifically: the four you mention, plus Supreme Warrior and Surgical Strike. But I think every single one of the 32X/Mega CD titles had previously been available as a regular Mega CD title — they're all FMV titles which gain only a video quality boost in the rerelease.

Upvote
11 (11 / 0)

samred

Ars Tribunus Militum
I'm wondering if this works without the Sega CD BIOS? If not, then you still need the original hardware (though a non-functioning unit will suffice, legally, as long as it can be started to extract the BIOS).

You'll need to load a Sega CD bios into the MegaSD for it to function with software.

Upvote
28 (28 / 0)
Specifically: the four you mention, plus Supreme Warrior and Surgical Strike.

"Supreme Warrior" sounds like a bloke running around fighting people whilst wearing inexplicably fashionable clothes.

But I think every single one of the 32X/Mega CD titles had previously been available as a regular Mega CD title — they're all FMV titles which gain only a video quality boost in the rerelease.

Fahrenheit actually has both the SegaCD and 32X CD discs in one case.

Upvote
2 (3 / -1)

Dark Jaguar

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Does this device support a mode where it uses existing Sega CD hardware instead of it's FPGA if it detects the device is plugged in, yet still streams the ISO through the cart?
That would not be possible, since the Sega CD handles the optical drive itself.

I understand that, I'm wanting to use the rest of the Sega CD hardware and leave the optical drive out of it.

Upvote
-6 (1 / -7)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…
If only this could be sold as an attachment for the Sega Genesis Mini and in the shape of a Sega CD Mini. I'd buy on first sight.

Sega-Mega-CD-with-Mega-Drive_on_top.jpg

Upvote
20 (20 / 0)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Aurich

Creative Director
Ars Staff
I'll never understand why this niche FPGA based project isn't fully open source and community funded. It would benefit greatly the retro scene and wouldn't risk becoming an expensive, esoteric vaporware in the long run.
So go ahead and start it.

Or do you mean that you don't understand why other people aren't doing the work you want them to for free?

Upvote
72 (74 / -2)

IntelInside

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Wait, is my old SegaCD worth $300? I may need to pull it out and hit Ebay. Well maybe after I finish Lunar again at least.
Maybe the original motorized disc drive version in working order. But the model 2 SEGA CD's go for $100-150 on ebay.

I have two. One since I was child, and one I picked up last decade on ebay that included a Model 1 HDG Genesis.

I'm not selling either of these.

Upvote
3 (3 / 0)
What is the point of producing a game system that is that old? You can find simple browser games today that are far superior to anything that ever was on the sega. It was a good system at the time, my kids had a lot of fun with it, but resurrecting it just sounds really dumb.

0/10 troll, weak effort

Upvote
46 (46 / 0)

samred

Ars Tribunus Militum
Additionally, this means the TerraOnion product won't work with the shrunken Genesis 3 console.
As an owner of Gen 3, well dang it.

TerraOnion reached out to me to clarify that it *will* work with your model of Genesis, so the article's been updated. Apologies for my misunderstanding of the RetroRGB video.

Upvote
25 (25 / 0)

marsilies

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
I'll never understand why this niche FPGA based project isn't fully open source and community funded. It would benefit greatly the retro scene and wouldn't risk becoming an expensive, esoteric vaporware in the long run.
So go ahead and start it.

Or do you mean that you don't understand why other people aren't doing the work you want them to for free?
Someone asked about whether anyone was working on a FPGA Sega CD about a month and a half ago on reddit. Nobody knew of one
https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/com ... _projects/

Funnily enough, one person conjectured "TerraOnion could. They don’t announce products until they’re released."

Upvote
13 (13 / 0)
Additionally, this means the TerraOnion product won't work with the shrunken Genesis 3 console.

TerraOnion reached out to me to clarify that it *will* work with your model of Genesis, so the article's been updated. Apologies for my misunderstanding of the RetroRGB video.
Sweet, and actually how that model has always gotten the short end of the stick for often legitimate technical reasons due to it being a late life budget redesign I didn't have my hopes up. This is surprising and welcome news. Now to decide if it's worth the price tag etc...

Upvote
2 (2 / 0)

marsilies

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++

Sweet, and actually how that model has always gotten the short end of the stick for often legitimate technical reasons due to it being a late life budget redesign I didn't have my hopes up. This is surprising and welcome news. Now to decide if it's worth the price tag etc...
If this in reference to the "Genesis 3," that wasn't even made by Sega. That was made by Majesco under license from Sega for just the NA market.

That said, the official announcement video from TerraOnion shows Genesis 3 support. See the 26:25 point on this video:
https://youtu.be/8fE0GR9prQE?t=1585

BTW, it looks like the Nomad will have to be modded to play CD-Audio, and also maybe to play Master System games.
https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=998

Upvote
3 (3 / 0)

If this in reference to the "Genesis 3," that wasn't even made by Sega. That was made by Majesco under license from Sega for just the NA market.

That said, the official announcement video from TerraOnion shows Genesis 3 support. See the 26:25 point on this video:
https://youtu.be/8fE0GR9prQE?t=1585

BTW, it looks like the Nomad will have to be modded to play CD-Audio, and also maybe to play Master System games.
https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=998
You're right that it wasn't made by Sega and by the company you mentioned.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Exnor

Ars Scholae Palatinae
AFAIK the Megadrive and MegaCD are world wide name of the consoles with the exception of the USA market... So why do you keep using the localized name instead of the world wide one?

It might made sense in the early 90s when the US market was the biggest one, but its 2019.... Here in EU, and Asia i bet, (that has more people than the US) we all know this machines by their original names:

Sega MegaCD and Megadrive. (And this now is the MEGASD... Not the SegaSD).

Genesis was a cool localized name but SegaCD was not (imho). MegaCD is way cooler.

Upvote
-13 (10 / -23)

marsilies

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
AFAIK the Megadrive and MegaCD are world wide name of the consoles with the exception of the USA market... So why do you keep using the localized name instead of the world wide one?
Because Ars is primarily a US run publication, for a primarily US audience, and this article was written by a US author.

That said, Ars did refer to "MegaCD" in an article a UK author wrote:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/ ... -to-html5/

Upvote
14 (18 / -4)