Budget/Rated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    Well I picked up Ford Racing 3 in CEX for ?2 today and colour me impressed! It is a good fun arcade racer with plenty of cars, track and racing modes wrapped in a decent overall package.

+60fps
    +60hz mode
    +Widescreen support
    +Pro Logic II
    +Decent visuals overall
    +Varied track design
    +On and off road racing
    +Low price point when new.

-Average sound
    -No major water splashing
    -Headlights do not light the road up
    -Very easy to start with.

Overall it's fun and well worth a punt.

After a few more hours of playing this is actually a really good game. It is fast, smooth and lots of fun.
    The racing line mode is really good. You have to stay on the racing line to accumulate boost and if you stray off it you don't charge but obviously you need to stray off to overtake. Also the boost system is excellent as it has good effect in every gear. Basically when you boost even at the redline it drops the rev counter back but around 2k and gives you extra speed in each gear. Makes for some superb down/upshifting moments on manual.
    Bought the Xbox 1 version of FR2 on the above recommendation, yesterday, 'twas only a quid (well, 95.5p, to be precise), would've been very rude not to.

Very impressed by it, it's a rock-solid, muscular, silky-smooth racer with lovely visuals that often channel vintage SEGA, and all the cars feel suitably beefy and have the most wonderful use of "shiny" to them. Only bad thing I can say is that it's not BC on the 360, it'll require an original XB to play, though it still looks nice thru RGB.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it, a really good title. FR2 was only ?14.99 RRP iirc, even more of a steal!

I still have mine, I was going to chop it in but something told me to keep it a bit longer.

Comment

Game 053 - Crusty Demons
        Playstation 2, Xbox - Description:
        "Crusty Demons combines the freeform tricking, high-octane stunt mayhem and bone breaking crashes in this free roaming world. It breaks new ground by rewarding players to engineer spectacular crashes and inflict massive injuries and pain to their rider.The infamous Crusty Demons are a group of extreme motocross athletes and the stars of the Crusty Demons of Dirt movies.
        During an attempt to perform a world-record breaking 5-rider triple back flip in front of an adoring crowd, the Crusty Demons are interrupted mid-flight by the Devil, who informs them that unfortunately they are all about to die.
        Satan offers the Crusty's the chance to become immortal giving them the ability to crash the most spectacular, bone breaking crashes and get up unharmed to ride again. The price for this immortality is the Crusty's souls for all eternity. Seemingly with no choice, the Crusty's sign away their souls.
        The Devil offers them a chance to win their souls back by playing the damnation game. The Crusty's must travel the world in a tour of destruction where anything goes, completing the Devil's Checklist at each world location in a bid to entertain the Devil.
        Completion of the checklist allows the Crusty's to race the Devil himself, and only beating Satan at his own game will allow the Crusty Demons to regain their souls and avoid eternal damnation."

Comment

Game 054 - Go West! A Lucky Luke Adventure
          Wii, Nintendo DS, PC - Description:
          "Go West: A Lucky Luke Adventure is based on the animated movie of the same name and basically a mini game collection. The basic story is that the Daltons escape from the authorities, rob a few banks and hide in a settler's track to California. Of course Lucky Luke is already on their tail...

The game consists of 40 linearly arranged mini games which follow the movie story - in fact after every solved game the player can watch a short movie clip. Most mini games can be divided into four categories: shooting sequences, movement (e.g. on a horse or in a plane) while dodging obstacles, drawing and rhythm games. There a also a few ones which don't fall into these categories, e.g. cooking. During these games the player alternately takes the role of all main characters. The game utilizes the special control advantages and graphic abilities of all platforms but the game itself stays the same."

Comment

Game 055 - Classic British Motor Racing
            Wii - Description:
            "An amazing range of high performance classic cars to choose from including Austin Mini, Austin-Healy, MG, Rover and Triumph
            Each car is accurately recreated under license and feature the real handling characteristics of the vehicles
            Designed to please Classic Motor fans! This is your chance to own and drive a piece of British Motor Racing heritage."

Comment

Game 056 - Rebel Raiders: Operation Nighthawk
              PC, Wii - Description:
              "Rebel Raiders: Operation Nighthawk is an arcade style air combat, set in a futuristic universe. The game is designed to quickly immerse players in scenarios of non stop combat. Pilot a wide variety of aircraft and earn points for a chance to fly top secret planes equipped with devastating weapons. Your missions will all be unique and challenging so you'll need the right stuff to be a true Rebel Raider"

Comment

Game 057 - Project Minerva
                Playstation 2 - Description:
                "A rogue terrorist force threatens the future of the human race. Information on the terrorist organisation is limited but the shadow of the powerful Minerva Corporation looms large over their activities.As the inspirational commander of a hand picked Special Forces unit you are given the task of unraveling the terrorist network and neutralising the threat."

Comment

Game 058 - All Star Fighters
                  Playstation 2 - Description:
                  "Originally part of the Simple Series, 14 Unique Characters from Bikini Girl to Chain Saw Boy! Learn your fighter's combos and special moves. If your energy level is running low use a Super Impact Attack to turn the tables on your enemy"

Comment

I ordered Project Minerva recently on the fact that it was published by Midas and they brought over a lot of interesting Japanese releases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midas_I..._Entertainment), stuff like Extreme Express and Battle Construction Vehicles. So have you played these games, are they recomendations? Just a little confused as the rate they're being uploaded seems a bit fast to have played them all and yet the text reads like recomendations.

Comment

This thread is more like a catalogue of games that were overlooked on release due to either timing or being budget releases and sharing thoughts on them. All the games listed can typically be picked up now for between ?1 and ?5 making them a low risk purchase too. I've dabbled with some in the past and have quite a few in my backlog but I'm not currently playing them. Hopefully we'll dig out some missed gems over time and I should be clearing my backlog soon. The history of some of these is quite interesting, the Simple Series gave us quite a few and ran for ages in Japan so will be an interesting dig.

Comment

Game 059 - Kid Adventures: Sky Captain
                        Wii - Description:
                        "Master the skies of Gloster Island as you take control of a daring pilot in Kid Adventures: Sky Captain, a colorful, action flight game designed to show the fun of flying to kids of all ages. Soar through and around three whimsical islands and complete 40 exciting missions that include sky racing, stunt flying, shooting targets, finding hidden treasures and much more. Flight skills are rewarded with unlockable plane skins and new flying machines including jet planes and UFOs! Zip through floating rings, swoop under bridges, skim across the water, and barrel roll through the valley in a bid to become Gloster Island’s resident Sky Captain!"

Comment

Game 060 - Kawasaki Quad Bikes
                          Wii - Description:
                          "Kawasaki Quad Bikes is the ultimate quad biking experience putting you in the driving seat of these awesome All Terrain VehiclesFeel the thrill of overtaking your opponents at high speed and pull offcrazyair to make the whole arena roar! Experience the world of quad bikes racing directly at your fingertips!"

Comment

Heads up peeps, the plan is to resume this thread starting from tomorrow

Comment

And... it's back!

Game 061 - Midtown Madness 3
                              Xbox - Description:
                              "Midtown Madness 3 provides gamers with madcap, over-the-top racing and driving excitement in two of the world's most fascinating cities: Paris and Washington, D.C.Midtown Madness 3, the latest in Microsoft Corp's popular Midtown Madnessfranchise, allows gamers to get behind the wheel of more than 30 vehicles while competing in exciting race modes such as Blitz, Checkpoint and Cruise. With a robust Career mode featuring 14 driving careers,Midtown Madness 3 delivers the rush and excitement of street racing while challenging gamers to put their driving skills to the ultimate test."

Comment

Game 062 - Yamaha Supercross
                                Wii, PS2, Nintendo DS, PC - Description:
                                "Ride your favorite off-road Yamaha bikes and cross the finish line first with Yamaha Supercross for the Nintendo Wii. With the Wii's motion-sensor controls and photo-realistic visuals, you'll have a more immersive experience than simply pushing around on a joystick. Yamaha Supercross makes it easy for beginners to pick up and play but offers the depth to keep experienced gamers on the edge of their seat."

Comment

Working...
                                X