Blu-ray Forum  

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rate Jason Bourne (after you have seen it)
One Star 1 0.67%
Two Stars 25 16.78%
Three Stars 53 35.57%
Four Stars 63 42.28%
Five Stars 7 4.70%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #801
Xenia
Expert Member

There was too much 80's action movie "destiny" bullshit in this one compared to the original trilogy.

I enjoyed it, and it was well made, but it wore me down. And don't even get me started on that outrageous Las Vegas set piece that belongs in an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, not a Bourne film.

This movie exists solely to perpetuate the franchise and does nothing to further the character or the world in which he exists.

I hope they do not make another one, because my personal Bourne "canon" is the original trilogy, which I think range from very good to legitimately great genre films with some really interesting filmmaking behind them.

Oh, and I like 80's action movies. I just don't want those elements in this movie. To clarify.
Xenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #802
jacobsever
Blu-ray Knight

Thanked 4,374 times in 2,332 posts

So I'm watching The Bourne Ultimatum for the first time, and I noticed it's available on HBO Go. So I started watching it there. I realized right away that the aspect ratio is different than the previous 2 films, which I found odd. The image filled my entire screen, when before the ratio was 2.35:1.

So it turns out HBO Go makes everything fit to your TV/Computer screen at the 16:9/1.77:1 ratio. What the heck?! This is so mind boggling. Why would a streaming service completely change the aspect ratio the director intended? So I ended up downloading the movie so I don't have to see a cropped image.

Then I compared the two, and I'm a little confused.

Original Aspect Ratio :

HBO Go:

So yes, the original aspect ratio is a much wider image. Therefor, the HBO Go version has cropped out part of the image on each side. Completely loses the Asian man eating.

But there is so much more on top and bottom for the HBO Go stream. I don't understand that. If the director released the film at 2.35:1, and that's the only version out there...where is the images coming from that HBO has? How do you get more information? In HBO's version, you can see the full outline of both their heads, while in the real version of the film, they are both cut off. So if they are cut off in the original image, where does the rest of the pixels come from? Do they keep a copy of the film without any color correction/cropping/etc somewhere? And then do they have to give that to HBO, and HBO converts it for their streaming service?

I feel like I wasn't explaining this well enough, so I photoshopped something...

So the image outlined in yellow is the original aspect ratio. The red outline is 1.77:1 (or 16:9). The red is what I assumed HBO would have to do in order to fit the ratio they want to present it in. They simply took the original image, and cropped off the sides to make it fit.

However, the blue outline is what we end up with. So my question is...where did they get the information where the question marks are? I work in photoshop all day long. If I simply took the existing image, and tried expanding it out of the frame...there's nothing to fill it in. There's nowhere I can go to create that additional photographic information. I'm so confused right now.
jacobsever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #803
Leonidas King
Blu-ray Archduke

Thanked 29,306 times in 10,851 posts

Moral of the story. Watch movies from their original source. Which is BD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leonidas King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #804
Mandalorian
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Thanked 40,828 times in 11,824 posts

It isn't surprising that they do this on the streaming service, since most of the movies they show on TV are also cropped. It's a surprise to me when I see the black bars.
Mandalorian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #805
AaronJ
Banned

Thanked 18,012 times in 11,751 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It isn't surprising that they do this on the streaming service, since most of the movies they show on TV are also cropped. It's a surprise to me when I see the black bars.
Yeah, it's usually only either big box-office recent films (something like Jurassic World) or true classics (like Lawrence of Arabia) that get the OAR treatment.
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #806
Foggy
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Thanked 15,134 times in 7,279 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
[Show spoiler]So I'm watching The Bourne Ultimatum for the first time, and I noticed it's available on HBO Go. So I started watching it there. I realized right away that the aspect ratio is different than the previous 2 films, which I found odd. The image filled my entire screen, when before the ratio was 2.35:1.

So it turns out HBO Go makes everything fit to your TV/Computer screen at the 16:9/1.77:1 ratio. What the heck?! This is so mind boggling. Why would a streaming service completely change the aspect ratio the director intended? So I ended up downloading the movie so I don't have to see a cropped image.

Then I compared the two, and I'm a little confused.

Original Aspect Ratio :

HBO Go:

So yes, the original aspect ratio is a much wider image. Therefor, the HBO Go version has cropped out part of the image on each side. Completely loses the Asian man eating.

But there is so much more on top and bottom for the HBO Go stream. I don't understand that. If the director released the film at 2.35:1, and that's the only version out there...where is the images coming from that HBO has? How do you get more information? In HBO's version, you can see the full outline of both their heads, while in the real version of the film, they are both cut off. So if they are cut off in the original image, where does the rest of the pixels come from? Do they keep a copy of the film without any color correction/cropping/etc somewhere? And then do they have to give that to HBO, and HBO converts it for their streaming service?

I feel like I wasn't explaining this well enough, so I photoshopped something...

So the image outlined in yellow is the original aspect ratio. The red outline is 1.77:1 (or 16:9). The red is what I assumed HBO would have to do in order to fit the ratio they want to present it in. They simply took the original image, and cropped off the sides to make it fit.

However, the blue outline is what we end up with. So my question is...where did they get the information where the question marks are? I work in photoshop all day long. If I simply took the existing image, and tried expanding it out of the frame...there's nothing to fill it in. There's nowhere I can go to create that additional photographic information. I'm so confused right now.
They probably got the open matte version of the film, used to be something they gave the early screenings on TV because people didn't like the black outlines. I know many shoddier made films ended up revealing boom mics and stuff. The UK release of Predestination is open matte and it's awful.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #807
imsounoriginal
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Thanked 26,684 times in 13,771 posts

Streaming services do this all the time, I believe Paramount/Netflix is notorious for it.
imsounoriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #808
Britnasty
Blu-ray Knight

Thanked 4,714 times in 2,286 posts
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

4/5. Saw it last night on $5 tuesday at a sold out 12am showing.

I had bought the Bourne Collection the weekend prior and marathoned it as I hadn't seen the films in god knows how long.

I found myself really enjoying this entry. Yeah, it was a little middling and unnecessary but I overall enjoyed it. The story didn't really need to be told but they went about it a proper manner.

Damon is Bourne, they should never recast the role because no one can top him in this role. I would love to see him in more based on the ending but if it's just a standalone film, I'm cool with that too.

That final car chase in Vegas was INSANE and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. It's like Greengrass said 'let's go balls to the walls' and they really did it.

I was pissed that they
[Show spoiler] killed Nicky off. I know Julia Stiles isn't a hot actress anymore and they were getting rid of her to pave the way for Vikander's character to take over but my god, Nicky was such an important part of Bourne's journey that killing her off did nothing. Bourne felt for a moment but then he moved on. I know he's an autonomous killing machine but Nicky was an integral part of him and I just thought it was tacky to kill her off. I get killing her off to impact the audience but more people in my showing were pissed about it than "oh no"
Britnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #809
imsounoriginal
Blu-ray Grand Duke

^ regarding your spoiler,
[Show spoiler]Marie was arguably just as important, if not moreso, and she barely made it into a second movie. Nicky dies almost the exact same way (not a coincidence, I'm sure), meaning that both of Bourne's main squeezes are now out AND Landy is pretty much useless. He's actually completely vulnerable for most of this movie and it's exciting as hell.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #810
Britnasty
Blu-ray Knight

Thanked 4,714 times in 2,286 posts
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
^ regarding your spoiler,
[Show spoiler]Marie was arguably just as important, if not moreso, and she barely made it into a second movie. Nicky dies almost the exact same way (not a coincidence, I'm sure), meaning that both of Bourne's main squeezes are now out AND Landy is pretty much useless. He's actually completely vulnerable for most of this movie and it's exciting as hell.
[Show spoiler]See, I didn't feel like Bourne felt vulnerable for longer than maybe one scene (the followup one when he goes to see Christian to figure out whats on the drive and learn the truth about his father). Vikander steps in twenty minutes later and uses him to get rid of Dewey but also helps him, so he's no longer really vulnerable to me for the remainder of the film.
Britnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #811
imsounoriginal
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnasty View Post
[Show spoiler]See, I didn't feel like Bourne felt vulnerable for longer than maybe one scene (the followup one when he goes to see Christian to figure out whats on the drive and learn the truth about his father). Vikander steps in twenty minutes later and uses him to get rid of Dewey but also helps him, so he's no longer really vulnerable to me for the remainder of the film.
[Show spoiler]I get you, but Vikander was always slimy in this. I never trusted her, never felt she had Bourne's back, so even if HE trusts or works with her in the movie, it's almost as if that made him even more vulnerable. She's clearly manipulating everything for her own agenda, but that final scene left me with a huge smile on my face

Wouldn't mind seeing her come back, though. She could become a very strong adversary in the future.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #812
Herb and Skills
Banned

2 stars

What a turd. I couldn't follow any of the action with cuts every 1.2 seconds. Wtf? GIve it a little room to breath GreenGrass!
Herb and Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (08-10-2016), donzo29 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #813
borgmatrix
Special Member

Quote:
[Show spoiler]She's clearly manipulating everything for her own agenda, but that final scene left me with a huge smile on my face
I was disappointed by that, as it felt like it took away ambiguity.
[Show spoiler]I'd have preferred to go into the next one not knowing for sure whether Bourne trusted her or not, and not knowing for sure whether we as viewers should.
borgmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #814
Leonidas King
Blu-ray Archduke

Quote:
[Show spoiler]I get you, but Vikander was always slimy in this. I never trusted her, never felt she had Bourne's back, so even if HE trusts or works with her in the movie, it's almost as if that made him even more vulnerable. She's clearly manipulating everything for her own agenda, but that final scene left me with a huge smile on my face

Wouldn't mind seeing her come back, though. She could become a very strong adversary in the future.
[Show spoiler]Agreed. That ending was great. Loved the way that played out.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #815
imsounoriginal
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgmatrix View Post
I was disappointed by that, as it felt like it took away ambiguity.
[Show spoiler]I'd have preferred to go into the next one not knowing for sure whether Bourne trusted her or not, and not knowing for sure whether we as viewers should.
Yeah but I'm glad they did that so it kinda wraps everything up for now.
[Show spoiler]There's no guarantee that there'll even be a next one, so best not to leave something dangling like that.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #816
Geoff D
Blu-ray Emperor

Thanked 134,879 times in 44,833 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
So I'm watching The Bourne Ultimatum for the first time...
Quite simply: it's how most films are shot, they use a larger negative/sensor area and frame it up accordingly, which is then matted down to the intended dimensions for theatrical release, Blu-ray etc. But TV peoples know that normal folks hate them nasty widescreen black bars, so they change the ratio by expanding into the picture area which was shot but not expressly intended to be seen. Other widescreen shooting formats like anamorphic or Techniscope don't allow that luxury, hence the classic chopped-in-half "pan and scan" of old because there's no room for any vertical expansion of the image. Make sense?
Geoff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (08-10-2016), jacobsever (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #817
Leonidas King
Blu-ray Archduke

The way it ended wrapped up everything perfectly. There shouldn't even dare give us another one.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #818
Walts Ghost
Blu-ray Prince

Thanked 4,153 times in 1,914 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
The way it ended wrapped up everything perfectly. There shouldn't even dare give us another one.

It's making money. There will be another.
Walts Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #819
imsounoriginal
Blu-ray Grand Duke

I'll happily take another one. At the very least I still want Legacy sequels.
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (08-10-2016), Walts Ghost (08-14-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #820
Leonidas King
Blu-ray Archduke

This aint a Fast and Furious franchise. They seriously need to stop after this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk