As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Exorcist 4K (Blu-ray)
€31.99
23 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One 4K (Blu-ray)
€20.99
21 hrs ago
Star Trek : Strange New Worlds - Saison 1 4K (Blu-ray)
€27.75
5 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem 4K (Blu-ray)
€20.87
9 hrs ago
The Last Emperor 4K (Blu-ray)
€27.99
20 hrs ago
The Exorcist 4K (Blu-ray)
€27.99
21 hrs ago
Titanic 4K (Blu-ray)
€19.99
31 min ago
Gran Turismo (Blu-ray)
€10.99
1 hr ago
The Last of Us: Season 1 4K (Blu-ray)
€39.99
23 hrs ago
La Trilogie d'Apu (Blu-ray)
€39.99
19 hrs ago
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Blu-ray)
€15.00
23 hrs ago
Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths - Part One 4K (Blu-ray)
€19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2022, 09:47 PM   #1
Special Member

May 2011
Rome, Italy
France Il bell'Antonio / Le bel Antonio (Bolognini, 1960)

So, this was released back in March by Lobster but the two French sites I know that test BDs have not reviewed it (Bolognini continues to be very underrated, methinks...). So I did it myself. This release sports the latest resto, done in 4K for the first time (the back cover states "in 2018", but it was actually restored in 2017).
Well, this film had allllot of troubles with censors in Italy, and being a historian I know every single line changed and the scenes removed. I didn't expect to find the uncut version, and indeed I didn't find it... it's the same print already restored in '96 that Bolognini had to revised more than once to satisfy the censors. At this point, unfortunately, I strongly believe this is another Italian film which we'll never see like their creators intended...
That said, the resto by Hivenchy and another Italian lab is seriously great. I only found a certain lack of stronger whites, as sometimes it almost seems there's too much grey, while in most cases it's an absolutely flawless grading.
Now, the puzzle: the ratio. The old Italian DVD was in 1.78, this new resto is in the Academy ratio (1.37:1). The sources of the time are not helping, 'cause they don't even specify if it was projected in a panoramic ratio or not. I hope to find some precious info in some books, but so far I haven't find any. Bolognini, at the time, was in a transition phase: I giovani mariti (1958) and Arrangiatevi (1959) were both shot in 1.37, like all his previous films, except for Guardia, guardia scelta, brigadiere e maresciallo (1956), which was an isolated "experiment" in Scope (2.35:1); with La notte brava (1959) he leapt to the panoramic ratio, then came Il bell'Antonio (1960), La giornata balorda (1960), La viaccia (1961) and so on. La giornata balorda too has had some 1.37 presentations but they're incorrect, as that was 100% shot in panoramic.

Judging from the caps, the DVD looks a kinda pan&scan to be honest, with a lot of info lost on the left. Anyway, I'd project this in 1.66:1. Strange thing is that in some scenes the 1.37 looks clearly opened up, in other it's perfect (cap #7, 9, 10, for instance). So I'll remain with this doubt until I find some doc, if it exists. However, the leap from the previous resto is awesome most of the time. Lobster only used 17,5 GB for a 102' film, though, which of course sometimes causes macroblocking in the darker areas; also grain is not so organic at times.

The two brief extra interviews add little, if nothing.
To date, despite some flaws, this is by far the best way to enjoy this great film, therefore I recommended it, as I don't see Arrow or Criterion releasing little-known Italian films (outside Italy, I mean). I remember mailing Arrow almost two years ago suggesting to release the two Lattuada masterpieces released (and ruined) by Tamasa in 2020... not even an answer.

DVD

Lobster Blu-ray
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France