Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Three-Phase posted:

I gotta see if there is a IIDX machine in Sandusky Ohio.

There is in Columbus if you feel like driving two hours to play offline Pendual :v:

https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcade.php?id=3320#games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
9dan get :)

Sinobuz 9dan and 10dan seem harder than copula. Invoker always wrecked me in copula 10dan but in Sinobuz I was able to make it all the way to Colorful Cookie. It ends in reunion though which is pretty tough.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

DanAdamKOF posted:

SPECIAL BEATMANIA III THE FINAL STREAM! Live @ Dragon's Lair! http://twitch.tv/danadamkof

haha poo poo I was there all night and forgot to hop on the cab with you :<

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
who's at magfest

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I wouldn't go if I couldn't get a room at the Gaylord tbh

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
BLUST OF WIND was my first 10 too, and one of my first 10 AAAs :)

The coolest thing I got at MAGfest is a legit LDJ IIDX motherboard to replace the bootleg PWorld PC build in my cab:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

DizzyBum posted:

If you own a IIDX cab, you should be legally obligated to play both Singles and Doubles. :colbert:

I'm DP shodan does that count :angel:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
babby's first 12 hard clear

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Headphones! I play with them even by myself. My R1 recently added headphone amps to their IIDX and it's the best.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I did a bad thing :ohdear:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
help I need to find more wall space since I got poster frames

my IIDXRED poster is already up since it's my favorite style but I might have to pick favorites among the rest (aka not SPADA). not pictured: Empress, RA, Pendual

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Zand posted:

what do you guys use for a stand for your controllers? my lovely keyboard stand wobbles from the force of my popn slaps

If you have the space for it try an IKEA Bekant desk. They're pretty cheap and are adjustable height.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Thinking about making a pilgrimage to Arlington, TX to check out Round 1 there - that place has Bemani machines, right?

They do, but go to Grapevine Mills instead since it's the center of the community :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Tyma posted:

* Slake is still the best IIDX artist.

That's a funny way to spell QUADRA :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

DanAdamKOF posted:

lol yes, I think this is a Betson manual I happened upon some time ago, which has a Konami logo and tells you to install a "special module" (replacement ROM/modchip which enables use of a specific set of bootleg upgrade discs): https://twitter.com/DanAdamKOF/status/683616987667251200

Not only bootlegging but prying with a screwdriver :gonk:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
just got my new Real Edition Double :v:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

DizzyBum posted:

j/k, that's awesome. Enjoy your keysmashing!

Code Jockey posted:

Ooooooooowns

REDs don't have coin slots :ssh:

I'm doing my first major cab disassembly in about a year for some stuff I couldn't easily do with it in one piece:

- Upgrading the 9th Style IO board (C02) to a GOLD IO board (IO2). Keys are absolutely fine on C02 but scratch is notoriously difficult due to the huge deadzone and weird reverse direction bug. I've cleared some scratch 11s like Naughty Girl and Digitank but they're harder than they should be on the old IO.

- Adding RGBW LED strips in place of the stock CFL bass lamps and turntable lamps. One of my bass lamp assemblies was missing entirely, the bulb in the other one burned out a few months ago, and that particular blue bulb is no longer manufactured. I hate when you can make out individual LEDs as bright spots so I'm doubling up on strips to avoid that. My controller is USB programmable so I'll be able to match cab color to game version really easily. The bass speaker boxes have a metal plate with plugs for the l/r audio and for the CFLs' AC 100v but there's just enough room between the end of that plate and the outer shroud for me to drill new holes for the 24v DC wiring.

- Fixing the cable management for official add-ons like the card readers and for the stuff I added internally. Everything will be zip tied to the metal sides or mounted to the wood inside.

I only got about halfway done this weekend and still need a few more parts so I guess SDVX will be my main game for a week or so :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Which one? I drove the hour to my nearest R1 last weekend and their machine was in awful shape again :(

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
5keys has Sudden but not adjustable Sudden, just on or off halfway down the lane. It's usually too low for me so I prefer to play at HS4 no-sudden than HS2 Sudden.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I got to check out Round 1 Puente Hills and Lakewood while I was in LA for AX. The two tricoro IIDX cabs at Lakewood make me jealous over how poorly my R1 maintains theirs :eyepop:

And I got a clear I've wanted for a long time on a really hard 11!

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
If you think the connection between the control board and the computer is dropping out then maybe USBLogView would be helpful. Maybe it's time to upgrade to an arcin :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

watho posted:

Speaking of FP7 issues, the LED of my 7 key isn't firing properly. It does very rarely so it seems more like a wiring problem than one with the LED itself to me, would that be a hard fix?

On my dao a lot of the connectors were really loose. I took needlenose pliers and crimped them all slightly so they were more snug.

infinite99 posted:

Anyway, what kind of springs would be worth getting? 60g? 20g? I guess it's mostly up to me and how they feel. Where would I even get new buttons and springs? I'm in Canada too so that probably makes things harder.

The springs themselves are so cheap compared to the shipping that you may as well get a couple different sets and try them all out. I ended up liking 50g switches with 25g springs the most. Now that I got used to it though it can be fatiguing to play on some heavy R1 cabs like at PHM. All my best play is at home :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I haven't gotten the chance to go to R1 very much lately so I'm glad to have the event over with. Some of the event songs are really amazing like Egret and Willow

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
What's up with both Lakewood IIDX missing their turntable grip? They both just have empty wells with an annoying ridge on the outside. They were the best R1 machines I've played aside from that.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Copula and older were VEFX on the result screen. Now it's 1 on the PIN pad. If you have a premium subscription 2 and 3 are for the second and third favorites list. And 0 on the PIN pad saves your result to eamuse so you can dickwag it on twitter.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Premium sub doesn't seem worth it. I just have basic

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
[ask] me about consistently failing 10dan 100 notes from the end :(

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Who else is at MAGfest? I got eliminated from the IIDX tournament but it was still fun and on a much better cab than was here last year. It’s cool that there’s profile support too so I don’t have to suffer default lane options.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
CANNON BALLERS opinions: it’s good

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
No ERM yet but I’ll probably head down when it is since everyone will come out. Just don’t plan to play much that day :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
You should have no problems using an eamuse card in the games but one gotcha is that you have to be sure to register your estate.573.jp web account as Japanese instead of USA otherwise you will be locked out of loading and using PASELI (Konami bux). R1 USA machines don’t have PASELI play modes available but you need PASELI to buy the basic eamuse subscription to set all your lane customizations and rival options for IIDX.

Pop’n music isn’t online or the newest version at any USA R1 for Reasons™ so you will be playing that as a guest and probably be playing Sengoku Retsuden or Tune Street.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Babby’s first 11 AAA :nyoron:

Who else is going to Big Deal next month?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The yearly score reset used to annoy me but I’ve come to appreciate never having stale scores throwing off my rival win/loss ratios.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Who’s at Big Deal?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I wasn’t planning to buy a second IIDX cab this week but scooped the parted out remains of the old Super Arcade cab for 8 hundo for our work arcade :iidx:

I will refurbish it. I have the power.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

enojy posted:

That's a rad pickup for $800! Some strange part of me would love to refurbish a IIDX machine.

It is fun! This will be my second refurb (and second time taking an old LA cab, sorry!!) after bringing the former UCLA game room machine home in 2016. It had busted turntables, no card readers, a tiny monitor, cracked keys with mismatched switch and spring weights, a ton of rust on the chrome, the effector panel and box just kind of sitting there after being ripped off the nails, missing bass lamps, missing spotlights, bootleg Pendual art, bootleg PC inside, and a bare board 9th Style IO dangling out the back of the cab being powered by the HDD power connector of a Twinkle. Now it’s the best machine I’ve ever played.

The Super cab will be a bit more of a project considering where and how it’s been kept, but I pretty much have all the parts I think I need. All that’s left is the effort and it starts with picking it up tomorrow 💪

WindyMan posted:

I got out to Super Arcade last night, the first time since it reopened last month. I brought Beatmania US for PS2 and played it to close out the night. Just like the good ol' days.

Are you the dude at Super I was talking to last night when someone took the phone from Ryan? :v:

I’m going to be at Lakewood R1 tonight after hitting some BookOffs and stuffing CoCo Ichibanya chicken katsu curry into my face. Y’all should come out

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

WindyMan posted:

Probably. Unless someone else there had a IIDX controller.
I like you. Let's be friends IRL.

Oh I wasn’t there last night but was on the phone with my friend who was. If you come to LWM tonight you can spot me wearing a blue and white baseball tee, probably drunk playing IIDX. The lakewood cabs are so close to perfect except for the missing turntable grips. It’d be fine if they had the turntable discs designed to not have the grip, but they have a plastic rim I constantly jam my finger on :/

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

kimcicle posted:

I'm super confused now; did you buy this cab from Matt? Or was the older Super cab a different cab than the one I'm thinking of?

Not from Matt. I’m not sure of the exact chain of owners, but I did find an old PW PASELI credit points card in the coin bucket. Thank You For Playing...

Yesterday I got the new monitor mounted and was even able to repurpose Eddie’s janky 2x4-raised monitor base for stability. I reinforced the lower world with a couple blocks of wood from the home depot scrap bin, drilled a hole in the raised section, and have the LCD mounted on a flipped bar-style ceiling mount. My buddy sold me another of the 39” Samsung display I really like on my own machine since he got his widescreen CRT fixed and doesn’t need it, so it should feel good for me to jump between home machine and work machine.

I need to find my spare legit tricoro motherboard in my storage, but for now I just dusted off my old PWorld build. The machine fired up for the first time in half a decade!

Still nowhere near playable though since the 1P turntable is dead (probably disconnected somewhere), I need to build serial cables for the card readers, the spotlights are missing, the neons don’t trigger, a bass lamp is burned out, there is drink spill damage all over the control deck, the keys all feel like poo poo, the control deck wobbles and needs to be rebuild structurally where it looks like someone sat on it and broke it off, the bass stage JST plug was cut off and redone with a lamp cord poking out between two pieces of metal, and a bunch of screws are missing all over. I’m waiting on a Rakuten order of 50g switches and 60g springs, so those, the 1P TT, and the card readers are my highest priority.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

km2 posted:

Hey, that's my cab!

The 1P turntable screws are kind of stripped!

(or rather, my brother is the last owner)

I’m glad I got to meet him! Just didn’t want to post his name on the internet :)

I’ve got plenty of replacement screws so as long as I can extract them somehow without destroying the bearing it will be fine. Lesson for all japanese amusement machine owners: Phillips and JIS screws are not the same thing!

It’s not immediately useful but I also picked up a first-gen BemaniPC for 9th - DistorteD on the LA trip.

Considering the industrial look of the later PCs I was surprised how it just looks like a custom built beige early 2000s gaming PC. Some time soon I hope to try setting up the 9-13, 14-19, and 20-24 PCs behind a KVM and serial switch. Anything older than Troopers won’t be designed with LCD in mind though so probably a curiosity at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Elephunk posted:

There's some weird threshold of "a nice mall with good location, but not TOO NICE and TOO GOOD OF A LOCATION" that is hard to quantify

Seems to be closer to the latter around the Bay Area. Both R1s are an hour from San Francisco and one of them is like gang turf and gets tagged and the restrooms torn up constantly. The Hayward shop that’s opening is closer, but I was really hoping they’d put one at that mall in Daly City that ended up getting Dave&Busters instead. At least they have DDR A there for all the SF arrowstomp people.

Also the shooting last year at APM :v