Sega CD Rock Paintings CD+G and Hot Hits sampler discs includes Jimi Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I came across these two Sega CD sampler discs and thought it was cool.

[​IMG]

Rock Paintings is a CD+G disc, and Hot Hits: Adventurous New Music is just a sampler CD.

Here's a video showing what Rock Paintings CD+G looks like playing in a Sega CD:

The Rock Paintings CD+G Track Listing: 1. Those Feat'll Steer Ya Wrong Sometimes (Little Feat) 2. Teenage Warrior (Little Feat) 3. Gone Ridin' (Chris Isaak) 4. Western Stars (Chris Isaak) 5. Save Me (Fleetwood Mac) 6. When The Sun Goes Down (Fleetwood Mac) 7. What's On Your Mind (Information Society) 8. Walking Away (Information Society) 9. Fire (Jimi Hendrix) 10. Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix)

Hot Hits: Adventurous New Music CD Track Listing: 1. Haven't Got A Clue (Dramarama) 2. Hostile Youth (Saigon Kick) 3. The Edge Of Your Bed (The Escape Club) 4. Black Pearl (Yo-Yo) 5. A Girl Like You (The Wolfgang Press) 6. Mammal (They Might Be Giants) 7. Lost In The Storm (Chubb Rock) 8. Firepile (Throwing Muses) 9. Sweet-Talker (Sister Double Happiness) 10. For Love (Lush)

I just thought that if you were a fan of one of these artists or bands this might make for an interesting piece to add to your collection.

I don't know if any of the songs here are particularly rare or not.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I don't have that disc, but I do remember seeing it. However, I do have a few other CD+Graphics discs that I purchased when I had a Philips CD-i player (which had a graphics decoder and would automatically display them). Among the discs:
    • Behind The Mask by Fleetwood Mac
    • Eat Or Be Eaten by The Firesign Theatre
    • Laura Branigan by Laura Branigan
    • On The Cutting Edge - A GRP Digital Sampler which includes songs by David Benoit, The Rippingtons Featuring Russ Freeman, Lee Ritenour, and Diane Patitucci
    • Toyko Rose by Van Dyke Parks

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Check my signature for YouTube CD+G decodes of most of what was released. I didn't put Rock Paintings as it is a compilation of tracks from the other albums.

I also have a discography website at www.cdplusg.com

Platterpus, tremspeed and tmtomh like this.
  4. PaulKTF

A-ha! I was trying to find your site earlier but couldn't. I'll defiantly check out the YouTube videos. Thanks!

5. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I remember the Sega CD, but I had the version they came out with later. It was considered a prohibitively expensive type of thing at the time (or however 12 year olds would phrase that) and by the time the cheaper version came out (that I had) it was considered a has-been. I remember the original one came with a lot of pack-in stuff, including this disc. REALLY hard to imagine the average kid at the time being into any of that music. CD+G was a cool opportunity. I never had any but used the Sega CD as my CD player for quite a while...

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have the Hendrix - Smash Hits CD with the CD+G sticker that was on the long box. Kind of an odd concept since many people myself included had no computer, karaoke machine or whatever you needed to play and see these visuals.

7. PaulKTF

Yeah, I had the Model 2, too. :)

[​IMG]

I was also dumb enough to buy a Sega 32X and a Game Gear.

tremspeed likes this.
  8. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I had the old Genesis, the new Sega CD, and the 32X when it was at K-mart for like $29.99. Actually come to think of it the life cycle of that mutant "rig" was pretty comparable to how long I've had the PS3, so I guess it was a good idea, but I can't imagine how many of the 32X CD titles they sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.