ENSLAVED™: Odyssey to the West™ Premium Edition

ENSLAVED™: Odyssey to the West™ Premium Edition

View Stats:
SillyGoose Oct 6, 2014 @ 10:53am
Is it worth it?
I remember seeing this game at a store (PS3 version) and watching a trailer and thinking to myself that it looked pretty cool. But never got around to actually buy it.

Is the PC version a good port?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
.o8--GBH--8o. Oct 6, 2014 @ 11:18am 
Other than some fixable glitches with the shadows during cutscenes, I encountered no problems with the port that I can remember.

It's a great fun game and definitely worth it in my opinion
Konke Oct 6, 2014 @ 11:36am 
I've played this game on PS3 and loved it. It's a great tale but when it comes to the characters, few games show a even match. I never played the DLC though and I remember that the PS3 version was pretty laggy, low fps.

I'm too wondering how the PC port is working. I've read that some experience severe problems with the mouse or camera. Since I still have a PS3 I'm not certain wether to get it again on console and live with the low fps or get the PC version and hope for better fps, and hopefully without any other glitches.
Broccoli Oct 6, 2014 @ 2:40pm 
This was one of my favorite games of the last generation.
TRAITOR Oct 6, 2014 @ 6:48pm 
Loved the game on the PS3. Low FPS really sucked. I too would like to know about the FPS issues for the port
DarklordKyo Oct 6, 2014 @ 10:18pm 
Originally posted by Misunderstood Dreamer:
Loved the game on the PS3. Low FPS really sucked. I too would like to know about the FPS issues for the port

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West#High_frame_rate
bean Oct 6, 2014 @ 10:32pm 
Originally posted by DarklordKyo:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West#High_frame_rate
+1
gonzobear Oct 6, 2014 @ 10:33pm 
i say go for it its cheep and im sure it will be fun :flyingkick:
ChunkyMonkey Oct 7, 2014 @ 8:28pm 
I played this game on Xbox 360 and had no frame rate issues at all. It is a great game for more than one reason. If you like a decent story then it definitely has that. Memorable characters that do meaningful things and say relevant dialogue.
If you only care about the gameplay then you should decide if you like beatemup style games. This is one of those games where you need to use combos and various upgrades to beat enemies faster and more efficiently. I personally liked this aspect of the gameplay a lot.
There is platforming involved as well. That is something I was not a big fan of.
The world and levels themselves are a surprisingly well made vision of a post apocalyptic future. At first I thought the levels where you jump around and survive around the grass covered ruins of some city took too long, but later the game switches to other interesting environments

As for performance, I assume if the game ran well on Xbox 360 then you can at least expect it to run well on the PC if you have PC that is on par with Xbox 360, as long as you set the resolution lower.

NOTE: The Hard difficulty really is harder when you have to beat up a bunch of enemies. HOWEVER, it is kind of rewarding because when you play on Hard you see additional small cutscenes that do not change the story, but do add something interesting or funny to the main story.
Some people said the ending is different too, but I couldn't find evidence of that. Make sure you do not look up the ending or it will spoil the game in a big way.
TRAITOR Oct 7, 2014 @ 9:31pm 
Originally posted by ChunkyMonkey:
I played this game on Xbox 360 and had no frame rate issues at all. It is a great game for more than one reason. If you like a decent story then it definitely has that. Memorable characters that do meaningful things and say relevant dialogue.
If you only care about the gameplay then you should decide if you like beatemup style games. This is one of those games where you need to use combos and various upgrades to beat enemies faster and more efficiently. I personally liked this aspect of the gameplay a lot.
There is platforming involved as well. That is something I was not a big fan of.
The world and levels themselves are a surprisingly well made vision of a post apocalyptic future. At first I thought the levels where you jump around and survive around the grass covered ruins of some city took too long, but later the game switches to other interesting environments

As for performance, I assume if the game ran well on Xbox 360 then you can at least expect it to run well on the PC if you have PC that is on par with Xbox 360, as long as you set the resolution lower.

NOTE: The Hard difficulty really is harder when you have to beat up a bunch of enemies. HOWEVER, it is kind of rewarding because when you play on Hard you see additional small cutscenes that do not change the story, but do add something interesting or funny to the main story.
Some people said the ending is different too, but I couldn't find evidence of that. Make sure you do not look up the ending or it will spoil the game in a big way.
Can't go wrong for $5 as well
Rumsy Oct 11, 2014 @ 4:24pm 
I played this game on hard setting with an Xbox 360 wired controller for PC and had a blast. I had to swap controllers because I broke my X button half way through and didn't notice. I got some freezing in the game, and a little bit of graphical lag/stutter at some parts but it did not hamper my experience of the game. I chalked it up to having a ♥♥♥♥ (9 year old) computer and just looked at my phone for the 10-15 seconds before it would fix itself. I would say it did this every level for me once or twice and there are like 15 levels. Graphically amazing even though as I said my specs are terrible. The art and characters really carry it.

TL;DR port is worth it because it's cheap. Any way you can experience this game is a good way.
Last edited by Rumsy; Oct 11, 2014 @ 4:25pm
Atomblonde Oct 15, 2014 @ 12:45pm 
I play it on the PC and it takes a bit of getting use to because it's def made for a console but it's doable. I had to remap a few keys but once I did it was alright.
ChunkyMonkey Oct 18, 2014 @ 12:20am 
Originally posted by Lulu:
I play it on the PC and it takes a bit of getting use to because it's def made for a console but it's doable. I had to remap a few keys but once I did it was alright.

I don't know whether you can afford an Xbox controller for your PC, but if you're serious about playing games on PC a controller is pretty much a must. And in my opinion a wired, or wireless controller is the best for PC games that support controllers since most developers use that controller as their template.
If you already have an xbox 360 controller from your console, then you should get one of those Xbox 360 controller wireless adapters to allow for use of the same controller wirelessly. I bought a non-Microsoft, generic Chicnese adapter for the controller, and it works perfectly. If you pick a generic one you should be saving at least $20 or so.
TRAITOR Oct 19, 2014 @ 2:41am 
Originally posted by Lulu:

I don't know whether you can afford an Xbox controller for your PC, but if you're serious about playing games on PC a controller is pretty much a must. And in my opinion a wired, or wireless controller is the best for PC games that support controllers since most developers use that controller as their template.
If you already have an xbox 360 controller from your console, then you should get one of those Xbox 360 controller wireless adapters to allow for use of the same controller wirelessly. I bought a non-Microsoft, generic Chicnese adapter for the controller, and it works perfectly. If you pick a generic one you should be saving at least $20 or so.
sorry but you don't need a controller to play games on a pc. if your in that mindset, you must just have a pc for convenience of not owning a console.

there are so many fantastic games on the pc you're missing out on it seems like.
ChunkyMonkey Oct 19, 2014 @ 10:45pm 

sorry but you don't need a controller to play games on a pc. if your in that mindset, you must just have a pc for convenience of not owning a console.

there are so many fantastic games on the pc you're missing out on it seems like.

I didn't mean anyone literally "needs" a controller to play games on PC. I've been a PC gaming enthusiast before I had any consoles. But many games are quite simply more fun and easier to play with controller, without any loss of control or functionality. Additionally, many games that are popular on the PC have been designed with console controllers in mind, so they would be better to play with a controller.

Another reason I prefer the xbox controller, if it is well implimented is because it is more comfortable on the hands. Often I get wrist pain when using keyboard and/or mouse. That's just me, that isn't something everybody might suffer from, but I know a lot of my friends prefer controllers for same reasons.

There is also the gradual input, or "pressure sensitive" triggers that most controllers have. Sony's controllers have that, xbox controllers have them, as well as Logitech ones. Personally I like that much more than pressing shift + forwared to walk slower.

Obviously I would not recommend it for 3D shooters on the PC, but various 2D games, or 3D non-shooters are very well suited for controllers. And of course complex strategy games, or RPGs are almost always better with a keyboard and mouse. No doubt about that.

jclosed Oct 20, 2014 @ 5:30am 
Well - some games (like this game) are best played with an controller, while other games (like TES: III/IV/V, Fallout 3/NV, Metro 2033 etc.) are best played with Mouse+KB.

There is an third range of games that need an joystick. Those include flight simulators and space games (like X2, X3, X Rbirth, Evochron, Freespace series and a lot of others). And there are other games that just beg for an steering wheel.

I don't mind to use the right combination/controller for an game, if that makes the game more playable and enjoyable. Enslaved is an game that is simply played best with an Xbox360 controller. I tried Mouse+KB, but that feels like you trying to play piano wearing boxing gloves. It just does not work that well.

I have an Xbox360 controller, an joystick and an mouse+KB - and I am not afraid to use them (so look out). It is not the controller that can make an game better on the PC. It is the more flexible (and better) hardware, like graphic cards, powerfull processors and memory (and modding) that makes an game shine on the PC.
Last edited by jclosed; Oct 20, 2014 @ 5:43am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 6, 2014 @ 10:53am