Dungeons 3

Dungeons 3

View Stats:
Windwalker Oct 20, 2017 @ 10:27pm
Similar to Dungeon Keeper 2?
Hey folks,

How similar is this game to Dungeon Keeper 2? Loved that game. Is there both an open b uild mode and a scenario mode?

Thanks!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
tdb Oct 21, 2017 @ 12:34am 
If you liked DK2, chances are you'll like this game. However, there are some significant differences.

Hiring creatures: In DK2 you have to build the requisite rooms and hope the right creatures appear through your portals. Here you can get exactly what you want, but it costs gold.

Population cap: Somewhat more strict than in DK2. You start with a cap of just 5 and can increase it to 20. A few creatures have separate caps of their own. Contrast to DK2 where converted heroes had no cap and skeletons were only limited by your prison's size.

Claiming territory: In DK2 your imps have to claim newly revealed tiles before you can use them. Here everything underground is usable immediately after digging it out.

Fill in areas: Not possible in DK2. This game allows you to correct your mistakes or remodel your dungeon by filling in empty tiles.

Overworld: DK2 doesn't have one. Here almost every mission requires you to go to the overworld to win, and in a few missions you don't even have a dungeon. The overworld works more like a traditional RTS where you control your creatures directly. You can't build anything there though.

Rival keepers: They don't exist here. Your enemy is always the heroes. Furthermore, there are no underground hero fortresses. The underground is fully your domain.

Those are the most important ones I think. As for game modes, there's a campaign consisting of 20 missions and skirmish with three different modes, one of which is an open-ended sandbox.
Warlord Oct 21, 2017 @ 8:31am 
I'd say this is really similar to DK2, but it makes some changes to differentiate it from that game. The above-world map in which you control creatures RTS-style is the major change. Otherwise, it feels a LOT alike. This game is a lot more parody, with the Stanley Parable narrator cracking jokes and a lot of 4th wall breaking. It's great, but you have to like games that don't take things seriously. Oh, and culture references. They can hardly go one sentence or name without it being a nod to a movie or game or something.

If you want an almost-blatant ripoff of DK2, though, check out War For the Overworld. It's kinda stupid-funny how similar it is (which is good), even down to using the same narrator voice from those games.
Windwalker Oct 21, 2017 @ 4:36pm 
Great, thanks guys! Sounds like I'll enjoy this game.
Verniks Jun 27, 2018 @ 4:36am 
I saw this passing a few times: breaking the 4th wall

What do you mean by that? I don't understand.
JVC Jun 27, 2018 @ 6:13am 
Originally posted by Verniks:
I saw this passing a few times: breaking the 4th wall

What do you mean by that? I don't understand.
Breaking the fourth wall is when a character on a stage steps out of his role and begins talking to the audience, not the other characters on stage. The narrator does this.
shoobers Jun 27, 2018 @ 7:45am 
Room efficiency is also a MUCH bigger issue. Even having more than 1 entrance drops it massively in dungeons without a door. Forget about two tile entrances.
Shadow Raider Jun 29, 2018 @ 1:15am 
it is kind of dumbed down compared to DK2. graphcis are a little better, but its really laggy unless you own a 1060+. It lacks a lot fo the deaper cntent, like special rooms that require specific setups of other rooms to unlock. On a positive note, there are no digger units so you can force the heroes to pathfind through your tunnell-o-death. It is possible to completely kill 4 max level groups of heroes within 15-20 blocks of the entryway using traps only.
tabla_redonda Oct 7, 2018 @ 4:22am 
It is not like dungeon keeper, it is a clone :D
The funny of it is the overwhelming positive reviews, I can't understand how a clone can get such reviews.
Every full 3d game is a clone of Quake.
Dragon Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:07am 
Dungeons 3 is not a clone of Dungeon Keeper.

Here's a bunch of stuff which Dungeons 3 has, but Dungeon Keeper does not:

1. Evil hero character who acts as the lieutenant of your army and protagonist of the game.

2. An Overworld.

3. Ongoing story & character development from each mission to the next.

4. A narrator and protagonist who both talk extensively to you, and each other, and your creatures, and NPCs...and they do that all of that a ton before, during, and after each mission (Dungeon Keeper has some brief narration, but it's much more limited in scope compared to Dungeons 3).

5. Enemy characters who talk to you extensively.

Now, if you were to say that Dungeons 3 clones some aspects of Dungeon Keeper, then you would have a good point.
Last edited by Dragon; Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:10am
tabla_redonda Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:37am 
Originally posted by Dragon:
Now, if you were to say that Dungeons 3 clones some aspects of Dungeon Keeper, then you would have a good point.
Clone its essence, mechanics, game play... It is just extended with updated graphics and some superfluous feature like those you mentioned. Those that doesn't make a game.
tabla_redonda Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:39am 
It is easy to see by yourself :D
https://youtu.be/jZ_SrTLxCKk?t=479
Dragon Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:48am 
Originally posted by tabla_redonda:
is just extended with updated graphics and some superfluous feature like those you mentioned.

The stuff I mentioned is certainly not superfluous. Those points are all integral to the essence of the game, and in all of those ways, Dungeons 3 is far superior of a game to Dungeon Keeper, which is more limited in those regards.

By the way, did you even play Dungeons 3?

Originally posted by tabla_redonda:
It is easy to see by yourself

See what, exactly? That both games have some similarities? No one is saying they don't. However, that doesn't make D3 a clone.
Last edited by Dragon; Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:51am
tabla_redonda Oct 7, 2018 @ 8:49am 
Dungeon Keeper is 20 years old :D
JVC Oct 7, 2018 @ 11:45am 
Dungeon Keeper is indeed 20 years old, it was released in the late 1990s. But the never produced Dungeon Keeper 3 was supposed to also include battles in an overworld.

I've never seen any details on the actual mechanics in DK 3, and it is likely that it never got further than the initial design stages, but Dungeons 2 and 3 are the first Dungeon Keeper inspired games that actually include an overworld.

But being limited to just an underworld is a very different experience than Dungeons 3; so in this respect War for the Overworld reminds me much more about the two Dungeon Keeper games.

The silliness in Dungeons 3, in that respect it reminds more about Dungeon Keeper 2 and Dungeon Keeper 1. DK 2 had a lot of cutscenes that were very lighthearted.

The basic "dig out tiles and place a room here" is basically the same in both Dungeons 2 / 3, War for the Overworld and the original Dungeon Keeper series.
Last edited by JVC; Oct 7, 2018 @ 11:47am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 20, 2017 @ 10:27pm