Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently duel fuel with Igloo but am looking at going down the Octopus Go route for electricity and the whoever can give me the best deal on gas only. Octopus for gas weren't that great when I got a quote.

Not sure what smart meter I have installed but it is SMETS1 so I will need a newer one to work on Oct Go. According to Monet super market EDF were the best for EV tariffs, though when I got quotes they were a quite a bit more expensive than Oct Go.

I'm currently duel fuel with Igloo but am looking at going down the Octopus Go route for electricity and the whoever can give me the best deal on gas only. Octopus for gas weren't that great when I got a quote.

Not sure what smart meter I have installed but it is SMETS1 so I will need a newer one to work on Oct Go. According to Monet super market EDF were the best for EV tariffs, though when I got quotes they were a quite a bit more expensive than Oct Go.
I'm on Octopus Go with a SMETS1 meter previously installed by Scottish Power.

Looks like this if it helps?

SmartSelect_20210709-212947_Photos.jpg

Just got this back from Octopus...

Looking at the database your current meter is a Smets1 meter, which we will eventually be able to connect too but we are not quite there yet. I am not able to provide a date at this stage.

If you do not want to move over on our interim tariff now (although we would love you to join now) then I would suggest enquiring again in a few months and hopefully by then we would have started with the launch of being able to connect to Elster meters.

Hi,

Octopus haven't been able to get any signal for their recently installed smart meter. They offered (surprisingly quickly) a 100 pound credit on my bill as an apology given that car charging is now going to be ultra-expensive. Is it worth pushing for more?

I chose to avoid them following my father's similar experience to many others above. He has been waiting 3 months for them to sort out the technical problems with his smart meter that wont connect, they state it is an issue with their servers?? I decided to go with Eon drive tariff, that gives 4p per k/W

Last edited:
Just got this back from Octopus...
Well that's strange as I also have a Elster AS300P meter which was fitted by Scottish Power. I moved to Octopus Go in April 21 and Smart readings are feeding through from both the electricity meter and the gas meter (also Elster).

I understand that the SMETS1 meters are being centrally migrated to SMETS2, so maybe I got lucky and mine has already been migrated. That said, the SMART readings do occasionally miss a day and Octopus pull the missed readings at billing time.

Well that's strange as I also have a Elster AS300P meter which was fitted by Scottish Power. I moved to Octopus Go in April 21 and Smart readings are feeding through from both the electricity meter and the gas meter (also Elster).

I understand that the SMETS1 meters are being centrally migrated to SMETS2, so maybe I got lucky and mine has already been migrated. That said, the SMART readings do occasionally miss a day and Octopus pull the missed readings at billing time.
If it's done by region then being in Scotland, I would expect as to be at the "coos tail"!. If however it's done by meter make/model, then yeah it is strange.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I have read through this thread and can see that there are variable experiences with Octopus. My position is that we pay a fortune for electricity as our cold house although of modest size gulps the stuff via night storage heaters and water heating etc. We have no gas. Although we have a MS we dont charge at home as no drive so my main interest is in the Octopus tariffs that require a smart meter. We are in Edinburgh with no smart meter at the moment. I have contacted Octopus and they cant even offer a basic approximate date for when they could fit a smart meter ie 1 month/6 months/1 year although they have now confirmed via Twitter that "We can install a smart meter for you, there wouldn't be any issue with this."

So my issue is that if I switch to them I may have to endure a more expensive tariff than what I am paying with Green atm (14.94p day/11.12p night) without any control over when this might end ie when they would eventually fit the smart meter.

Is there anyone who has been in the same position as me recently - no smart meter and based in Edinburgh (or nearby) who can confirm how long they have had to wait from a switch to Octopus to actually get them to instal a smart meter? thanks

I had no response when I switched to Octopus and signed up to their 'I'm interested in a Smart meter' link. Chased it up with a named individual at Octopus who emailed over another account related point. Got an appointment to install the meter quickly and it was all done within two weeks. Great service in my opinion. If it helps anyone, I'm happy to share the contact details of the individual and her supervisor via DM.

I went from sign-up to being on a SMETS2 meter within 4 weeks - a week before my car arrived.

I have read through this thread and can see that there are variable experiences with Octopus. My position is that we pay a fortune for electricity as our cold house although of modest size gulps the stuff via night storage heaters and water heating etc. We have no gas. Although we have a MS we dont charge at home as no drive so my main interest is in the Octopus tariffs that require a smart meter. We are in Edinburgh with no smart meter at the moment. I have contacted Octopus and they cant even offer a basic approximate date for when they could fit a smart meter ie 1 month/6 months/1 year although they have now confirmed via Twitter that "We can install a smart meter for you, there wouldn't be any issue with this."

So my issue is that if I switch to them I may have to endure a more expensive tariff than what I am paying with Green atm (14.94p day/11.12p night) without any control over when this might end ie when they would eventually fit the smart meter.

Is there anyone who has been in the same position as me recently - no smart meter and based in Edinburgh (or nearby) who can confirm how long they have had to wait from a switch to Octopus to actually get them to instal a smart meter? thanks
I don't understand your delay, the Octopus rates will save you a fortune. If it doesn't you can leave without penalty.

Reactions: Rustybkts