Switching Disk Images Whilst The Emulator Is Running

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

RyanFialcowitz
Space Cadet

Switching Disk Images Whilst The Emulator Is Running

Post by RyanFialcowitz »

I have a four compact disc game and thus need to be able to switch discs whilst the emulator is running. The problem is that the discs are bin/cue files and the only way I could figure out to get them into the emulator was to mount them like hard disk images. This works but the game only sees the first disc, although the operating system sees all four. So, what would be the best way to resolve this problem?

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, not all games are smart ;-) There is no direct way to change cd images, this is not even fully supported with real cd-roms.
Perhaps the virtual cd driver from http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility can help you.

Best,
Cat_7
ianthine9
Space Cadet

Post by ianthine9 »

Any other place to grab the vintage mac apps like that that isn't mac garden? Cause mac garden's down, and I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to install something spread between two disks, and it won't work.

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

ianthine9 wrote:Cause mac garden's down
Happens frequently. It always comes back.
ianthine9
Space Cadet

Post by ianthine9 »

So, I feel like such an idiot (the last time I was really good with Mac was back in like, the Apple II days,) but trying to expand the .sit for the virtual CD thing gave me an error "sorry, but a disk error (file not found) has prevented the operation from concluding". So I googled the error, and someone on a different site recommended a program called MindExpander, which I got from tucows, and when I tried that, it completely crashed Sheepshaver.

Like, I opened it up, and next thing I know I'm back at the windows desktop.

I already tried redownloading the .sit to a different location on windows, and it's the same problem-and no one else on macgarden seems to have that issue, so I don't thing it's an issue with the .sit. Any ideas?

This is what the .sit looks like after it's been expanded-in windows http://i.imgur.com/9TwVe.png and in sheepshaver http://imgur.com/q4iRG.png there's a hidden folder that I discovered when I hit print screen to take the cap, when I first opened the folder it just been the text "this program is pretty self explanatory" and the virtual dvd-rom file with no extension. The "hidden" folder is called "explantory" and is completely empty.

My guess would be a corrupted .sit, but no one else has seemed to have a problem with it, and I'v tried downloading it more than once.

EDIT: I also have issues with attempting to use diskcopy for anything-could these be related, and be the fault of a bad OS install? I had to try about four different images (one of which had been ripped from a friend's old PowerMac, but considering that it's a 12 year old computer, I don't think it ripped correctly)
Last edited by ianthine9 on Thu May 05, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which is the .sit archive that you downloaded from Macintosh Garden?
Shouldn't the archive be expanded in MacOS rather than in Windows?
ianthine9
Space Cadet

Post by ianthine9 »

I had expanded it in 8.6, not windows, but I had taken a peek at the folder in Windows to see if that gave me any hints as to what went wrong. the sit is the one from the download link here http://s3.amazonaws.com/macgarden/Virtu ... v1.0d0.sit

Like my edit-I couldn't get diskcopy running either, so maybe it's an OS install issue?

EDIT: looking at it in StuffIt for windows, it looks like the archive is what it should be-two icons, and then the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility. But when I tried to extract it in windows, it does come up with two empty folders, and then a 0kb extensionless file, which is what I get when I tried to expand it on 8.6. Which makes me think that the .sit is corrupted considering that it expanded the same way both times, on two different OS's.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
the last time I tried that file, it was working fine.
Please give Stuffit7 or 5 a try with your Mac OS.
I made a DiskCopy image here deflated with Stuffit5 : http://www.mediafire.com/?kc3vc9koiecsqmk
You might also try that one. If you have trouble with DiskCopy images, you might consider
a fresh install of your MacOS.
Best wishes!

Edit: The original img was damaged during upload/download, sorry.
ianthine9
Space Cadet

Post by ianthine9 »

I think it might just be the install of the OS, because this time trying to expand the archive I get a shrinkwrap error (-36....i./o error?), and while it expands, when I go to run it I get another error (-199). And it's not disk copy images I have an issue with, disk copy itself won't run, say's "certain required support is not provided". So I'm guessing something went wrong with the OS install and I'm missing a driver or something somewhere.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ianthine9 wrote:I had to try about four different images (one of which had been ripped from a friend's old PowerMac, but considering that it's a 12 year old computer, I don't think it ripped correctly)
and
ianthine9 wrote:I think it might just be the install of the OS, because this time trying to expand the archive I get a shrinkwrap error (-36....i./o error?), and while it expands, when I go to run it I get another error (-199).
Did you actually install the system from (a disk image of) a system installation disk, or did you copy a system? A copied system may not be compatible with the machine that SheepShaver emulates.

ShrinkWrap is third party software. Did you install ShrinkWrap yourself?

-36 is a File System error (ioErr I/O error)
-199 is a Resource Manager error (mapReadErr Map inconsistent with operation)

Are you sure that you have the .sit archive on a Mac (HFS or HFS+) volume inside the emulator before you start expanding? Maybe you should try to download the archive with a browser in 8.6 and not to the Windows host first.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

As far as I remember, ShrinkWrap relies on the Stuffit Engine.

I would try this in your place:
Create an empty image of the size you wish with the SS GUI,
Download this: http://www.macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-904
Unzip the file with Windows. You should get a file named Mac OS 9 Retail.toast
Add this image in the SS GUI.
Boot SS from that one,
let the MacOS initialize the new image you created above and install OS9.

Download this: http://www.macintoshgarden.org/apps/stuffit-expander-55
Unzip the file with Windows.
Add the HFV image in the SS GUI
Install Stuffit Expander.

After doing so, you should be able to inflate the CD ROM utility and try your images.
Good luck!