Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Life for a Kamdax Mig 15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Life for a Kamdax Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:45 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New Life for a Kamdax Mig 15

After about 150 flights on my glow powered Mig 15 I damaged the nose. It had a lot of wear & tear and hangar rash on it so I decided that the foam fuse wasn't worth fixing. Since it's such a blast to fly I didn't want the engine/fan and radio equipment go to waste.

To be different this time around I ordered the unpainted fuse and wing set from Kamdax, painted it in the red & white scheme and installed all equipment from the old one. I decided to put the landing gear on this time and also ordered the optional 7-blade fan for better performance.

Unfortunately it may be spring before I get a chance to fly it. Here's a few pictures.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63680.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	583053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67817.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	583054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi84439.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	583055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Na20616.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	583056  
Old 12-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Life for a Kamdax Mig 15

Hi Joe,

Just a curisorty question about this plane, can this mig with .061 glow can be called parkflyer or school yard flyer for personal selling needs?, i have seen one fly with brushless motor and it was moving preety good speed so i'd imagine with glow engine this can easily do over 60-70 mph!....
Old 12-24-2006, 05:36 PM
joeflyer

I'm not sure exactly what the definition of a park flier is. I wouldn't attempt to fly one in most school yards I've seen.

With the original fuse and no landing gear it hand launched easily and had a top speed in the 60-70 mph range. Initially it was a bit slower since it takes a while to break in the engine. It's probably faster than what most people would think of for a park flier.

Joe
Old 12-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Props4ever

Joe,

By no means i want to trash fellow modellers sale but seems like his description is not apporpriate, and he has been asked politely to fix it but his buddies have different approach altogather. So what is the defination of parkflyer and what type of edf or Df foamy jets fall under its defination?.

http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=28991

Let see what you and others have to say...
Old 12-25-2006, 12:57 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew mine in a school yard and a smaller park. It can be done but you're really using all of the area very fast but then again with the size of it, you can't get it too far away from you.

BTW joe great job on revising the mig!!!! looks awsome!! make me wish i still had mine.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Veritech

ORIGINAL: CONCORDEFAN

Joe,

By no means i want to trash fellow modellers sale but seems like his description is not apporpriate, and he has been asked politely to fix it but his buddies have different approach altogather. So what is the defination of parkflyer and what type of edf or Df foamy jets fall under its defination?.

http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=28991

Let see what you and others have to say...

I don't think Joe is the one classifying it as a Park Flyer, he is not affiliated with Kamdax at all form what I know so asking him to do so doesn't make sense to me. If you have a problem with the way Kamdax, or another company for that matter, market their items you should probably take it up with them and not with the ones building and flying their stuff.

I have seen Joe fly his Mig and I would not want to try and fly it in a small park, football field perhaps. I have the M2000 with brushless power I plan to fly next year, might try to fly it in a park near my house since it is electric and it does not take much support equipment…

Nice paint job Joe!

Old 12-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Veritech

I don't think Joe is the one classifying it as a Park Flyer, he is not affiliated with Kamdax at all form what I know so asking him to do so doesn't make sense to me. If you have a problem with the way Kamdax, or another company for that matter, market their items you should probably take it up with them and not with the ones building and flying their stuff.
The only reason i asked him is because he has same model and thats about it, My question is also for guys who fly this glow version model if they would consider flying this model in average public park or behind school yards, i personally have no problem with it if it can be flown at AMA or MAAC sanctioned flying fields, but its regarding safety issue of regular public as advertised to sell it.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:56 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Where did you get the fuselage and wing set? I have two engines and fans but no plane.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:11 PM
joeflyer

Concordefan,
I have looked through the Kamdax instructions, on the box, and on their website and nowhere do they refer to this plane as a park flier. Hopefully that answers your question. If you wish to debate the matter further or have an opinion poll please start another thread.

Joe
Old 12-26-2006, 01:54 PM
joeflyer

Irb75,
I ordered the parts directly from Kamdax in Hong Kong. Kamdax products were quite popular 1 - 2 years ago. When Tower was carrying them. Now they are getting harder to find. Stuff We Like still has some parts left, but they will not be carrying Kamdax any more and are selling out what parts they have left in stock.

What else do you have besides the engines/fans? If you need everything except the engine/fan it might be cheaper to just buy a whole kit. They frequently show up on Ebay. Also I have a spare NIB Mig 15 ARF kit I'd consider selling.

Another way to go, if you aren't planning on using the landing gear is to buy one of their gliders. That way you get the plastic wing tips etc., decals and control hardware. Then you just need to buy their mounting kit to mount your engine/fan in it. That's how I got my Kamdax Mirage after buying an engine/fan off of a club member who crashed his Mig.

You can check out what is available at:
http://www.kamdax.com/main.html
http://www.stuffwelike.net/store/home.php

I don't see the Mig Glider listed on Kamdax's website, you might have to ask. They were very responsive to my emails in good English. Prices are reasonable and shipping was $22.00. The package arrived from Hong Kong in 5 days. If you need a starter I also have a spare.

Joe
Old 12-26-2006, 10:00 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Basically I need a slope soarer to get back into the air. I'm alittle hesitant to go directly to the overseas MFG, but maybe it isn't that hard to do.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:30 PM
joeflyer

I was also a bit apprehensive. I know someone else who has ordered directly from them several times and all went smoothly.

My transaction was by email. They made up an invoice and emailed it back to me. The only tricky part is payment. You can bank transfer them the money, fax them your credit card information, or email the credit card info. I ended up emailing them half of my credit card info. in two separate emails a day apart just to be safe.

Joe
Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Props4ever

Joe,

Thanks for you time in answering my question, i am satisfied now, i just hope guys selling these jets can advertise them properly. You did beautiful job with repainting the mig into red and white scheme, it look very sharp and stand out alot better in this livery then all aluminum. what step did you took in repainting process of this jet, plus i might also get similar glow version of this Mig similar to yours.

Sammy

Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 AM
joeflyer

It's not a re-paint. I bought an unpainted (white) fuselage and wing set from Kamdax and painted it with Chevron Perfect Paint. I had to do some experimenting to find a paint that was fuelproof and wouldn't attack the foam.

Joe
Old 12-31-2006, 03:36 PM
joeflyer

Yesterday it was sunny, no wind and upper 40's outside. So I decided to test fly the Mig. It was a different experience taxiing out, taking off, and landing something this small with a landing gear. The flight went fine. It is a little slower now due to the extra drag of the landing gear, but still fun to fly.

Joe
Old 01-17-2007, 09:14 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I noticed the local hobby shop had three of these. At least I think it was this plane. There was no price on them, and no markings. The box listed three options and none were checked. I think it was like number 201, 202, and 203. Does the motor come with it. The owner wasn't there today and nobody knew anything.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:53 PM
joeflyer

No. 203 is the glow ducted fan version. It comes with the motor. fan, fuel tank, landing gear, hardware, electric starter, fueler, and workstand. All you need is the radio equipment to finish.
If your interested I have one NIB for sale in the Jets Classified section. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=253967

I bought this before I decided to re-do my old one. It retails for $250. I'm selling it for $175.

Joe