Rhizotrochus Typus

plaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know if these are hardy and if they reproduce/can be propagated?
More curious than anything - prices are way too high for me now!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only picture I could find of it. Is this what you are talking about?

a0017072_1037128.jpg

OP
OP
P

plaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is it - I can't find out much about them though. Don't know if they reproduce, etc.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there another dendro/duncan type coral but i think a little more solitary type polyp which grows very slow.My gess why there very rare and very expensive none are being captive grown and are probly only coming in at very low numbers

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roesmarineworld had those as well when I ordered this week. I didn't pick one up because I just don't know enough about them...
:D
Laurie

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea checked them out not bad deals but i think to get one like ficklefin posted you'd have to give your next child up to get it lol, but may have to get one.

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they grow extremely, extremely slowly, I had one for a year that finally started to pop a baby off one side, and the baby took another 6 months to even get to a noticable size, definitely not a coral to pick up for propagation, but very nice either way though

dieselab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is a silverside that the rhyzo is eating. I pick it up about 4 months ago. Atlantis Aquarium and another seller on Ebay was selling one that looks bleached. It would be nice to get a picture of your organism with the baby polyp on the side. I have always wonder how they grow.

jendub

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mmm....rhizos

Here is my pink rhizo. I agree with organism on slow growing, not for propagation.
IMGP70390084.jpg

These are "runners", trying to attach to whatever is close by.
IMGP66160028.jpg

I do have to say these creatures are my favorite. They are super cool to watch and feed.

Here is a little info on them; family- Flabellidae. Flabellids are exclusively solitary in growth form -- never forming colonies -- but certain genera reproduce asexually by transverse division and budding from the thecal edge. They are exclusively azooxanthellate.(Cairns, 1989b)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back