Trifroce Netboot loading

jonhughes

vacBacker
Feedback
48 (100%)
Credits
1,008CR
I need some help with an installation if anyone is familiar with doing netboot loading on a Triforce please.

I have acquired a Triforce Type 3 and have the Piforce netboot hardware and have it up and running on my Sega Naomi. I now want to use it on my Triforce and the SD card is on the way to do this. Here is my system information:

DSCF0461.JPG

[sub][/sub][sup][/sup]

I'm hoping to run Virtua Striker 4 2006. I know this runs with boot version 3.01 so I need to upgrade it.

1st question - will the game give me the option to upgrade the boot version on start?

I've read some info on the net and according to this thread it could:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?272455-Triforce-Update

Although the user and game tries to load VS4 2006 on a Triforce Type 1 it still appears to update the boot version even though a Type 1 can't play the game.

2nd question - On the Naomi you have to set certain IP addresses in the system so it will load from the Piforce. I've noticed similar things in the Triforce. Do I need to set anything in the network settings to get it to load from the Piforce.

I'm currently running the system on GDROM with Virtua Striker 4. I know there are two jumpers on the board to change from GDROM to Netbooting - I can handle that part.

jonhughes2020-02-05 20:38:48

jonhughes

vacBacker
Feedback
48 (100%)
Credits
1,008CR
Monstermug said:
Never had a triforce before but on the sega naomi the ip address has to be set to 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0. Maybe try this?

I have a feeling that's going to be the case after further reading on Arcade Projects. The Naomi is extensively covered while the Triforce information is particularly sparse.

obcd

Credits
3,830CR
It's basic networking that the triforce and raspberry need to be able to see each other, so they should be on the same subnet. The raspberry is uploading the game to a specific network ip, so if you can't adjust that on the raspberry, you will need to use the same ip as you would give a naomi for netboot. You can only upload a game when you are in the boot screen with the triforce logo or in the test menu. Once the game is running, you can't upload another game. (At least it's like that on a chihiro 3). Also make sure your network cable is connected before you power the unit. On naomi, the system reboots when you attempt to start another upload. That's not the case on a type 3.

jonhughes

vacBacker
Feedback
48 (100%)
Credits
1,008CR
Thanks everyone, the SD card should arrive tomorrow. I'm sure it will work out, I thought I'd ask to simplify the process but this system is pretty limited on available games so it is to be expected that the information and knowledge is limited.

jonhughes

vacBacker
Feedback
48 (100%)
Credits
1,008CR
Here's my solution, I've never found a precise and concise narrative on how to set this up for the Triforce so I'm going to do one for reference:

Triforce-7.JPG

I'm loading the games to the Triforce on a Piforce netbooter, it has an onboard network card (Type 3). I've got Blast City cabs so to run the system I'm using a Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O for the inputs with a JVS Blast City harness for the power to the Triforce / Naomi etc. I can't talk about the software installation only how it is set up. The Triforce is an Export version.

My triforce was set to GDROM loading. To set the system up for Network I had to change a dipswitch on a board inside the casing. So first up remove the casing:

Triforce-1.png

Getting the two sections to separate is a PITA and easier said than done. There are hook plates on the top of the casing that make it very difficult for the two parts of the casing to separate (it was for me). It's an even greater PITA to put it back together.

Triforce-2.png

While it was open I changed the CR2032 battery, another fiddly PITA. The battery was down to 1.5V once removed so was a good idea.

Next change the dips to Network. The dips are located behind the upstand PCB for the pic chip.

Triforce-3.png

There are two dips on the dipswitch: 1-on & 2-off for GDROM and 1 & 2 on for Network. Once set I put the casing back together. Then I installed a Triforce type 3 zero pic chip in the pic socket.

I'm powering my Piforce with a hacked GDROM power cable coming off the JVS I/O and soldered on to a femal USB break out PCB. This then connects to a standard micro USB cable to the Piforce.

Triforce-5.JPG

I then run an ethernet cable between the Triforce and the Piforce.

Power on the system and the Piforce gives me this:

Triforce-8.JPG

Followed by:

Triforce-9.JPG

On screen I have this:

Triforce-13.JPG

Go into the test menu and select Network settings - Network type is ether:

Triforce-10.JPG

Next set the IP address to:

Triforce-11.JPG

I then exit the test menu back to the upload screen and push select on the Piforce and the Pifroce sends the game data to the Triforce.

The game then boots but tells me I need to update the system and should go into the game test menu. I access the game test menu and there is an option to update the system. I select the update and the game performs two updates to update my system.

System settings before:

DSCF0461.JPG

System settings after:

Triforce-12.JPG

Now when I boot the game I am presented with the analogue calibration settings for the joysticks. I need a connector to connect the 8 way connector from the control panel to the 26 way analogue connector to the JVS I/O PCB. Waiting until that arrives before going any further:

Triforce-14.JPG

For information - I initially tried to test the zero pic chip via the GDROM. After installing the zero pic the whole system went crazy. Voltages up and down game going up and down and a weird burning smell. I thought the system had bricked. It turned out the GDROM drive decided to die at the moment immediately after installing the zero pic chip - so another very good reason to bin off the GDROM.

jonhughes2020-02-07 17:48:58

jonhughes

vacBacker
Feedback
48 (100%)
Credits
1,008CR
To close this one out, my female adapter arrived today to connect to the male side on the CP.

JVS-2.JPG

JVS-3.JPG

Fitted it and then after a little trial and error found out what the specific pinout was for the game. I have a JVS to JAMMA I/O type 838-13683-02. Each analogue joystick requires an AVCC and AGND connection. The player 1 pot pins are pin 03 (AD 0) and pin 09 (AD 1) and the two player controls are pin 15 (AD 2) and pin 21 (AD 3). The wire colour coding on the original harness didn't quite match so just changed player 2 pins over.

JVS-1.png

Joystick calibration screen (hopefully on the dead zone).

JVS-4.JPG

and then at the full extremities.

JVS-5.JPG

All inputs good.

JVS-6.JPG

Reboot and attempt to master a quite difficult 1 player football game (it's not one of the easiest I have played but that should keep you coming back and would have been a coin guzzler).

JVS-8.JPG

JVS-9.JPG

Some quite impressive graphics and subtleties to this one.

jonhughes

vacBacker
Feedback
48 (100%)
Credits
1,008CR
Hi John,

No I haven't played the VS4 game yet. The flyer for the version 2006 game indicates more has gone into it. I do have the VS4 game and pic for GDROM but I needed to carry out all the input installation for the CP before I could use it. The trouble is I can't see me installing VS4 unless I'm really bored even through the network piforce (trying to get to grips with this 2006 version for now). The GDROM drive went bad for me so won't be putting that back.

[sub][/sub][sup][/sup]

Can't find a video of just VS4 on YouTube everything is ver 2006 and can't find a GDROM disc and pic of ver 2006.

Sbdesign

SEGA collector
vacBacker
Feedback
8 (100%)
Credits
1,362CR
After reading VS4 is pointless if you have VS4 2006, as its upgraded with more stuff

"Virtua Striker 4 2006 is the latest edition to a huge line of soccer titles with the most realistic and advanced character movement than ever before. This world-class sports game takes players across 12 new countries in addition to the existing 52 in the series. Virtua Striker 4 2006 includes the latest soccer player data along with new strategies. The button and joystick control are more responsive than ever, and the enhanced technology allows players greater control and rich game play. In addition, the camera work and player definition has been heightened revealing the expressions and emotions of the athletes in even more detail. Plus, Sega has added player dramatics, both on and off the pitch, for more realism, much like the true emotion witnessed at professional soccer competitions."