puntare sulla simpatia

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
I stumbled upon this phrase which seems to be like common joke, fixed phrase, or meme. See context below. Just wondering what the precise meaning is.

I take it to mean: "To count on sympathy" / "to depend on people's generosity" I don't understand the humor though. Obviously it's related to weight.

b7il40z6k2-la-prova-costume-anche-questo-anno-bisogna-puntare-sulla-simpatia-buon-weekend_a.jpg
maglia-donna-unicorno-puntare-sulla-simpatia.jpg
tumblr_n8rrfsRr9X1tbdjbeo1_500-300x300.jpg

• Hello.

It's not really a fixed meme. It's a play on prova costume and not being in shape (as symbolized by the two animals). Since we've failed to be in shape, and therefore we won't pass the "prova costume" (which in the thread I've linked above John has suggested to translate as "bikini test"), we'll have to "puntuare sulla [nostra] simpatia". This is a difficult expression to translate because both "puntuare su" and "simpatia" are difficult to translate.

A couple of threads on the former:
    Puntare sulla superiorità tecnologica
    puntare sulla qualità dei prodotti

In this context, I would say it's fairly close to "count on".

Simpatia does not mean sympathy; it's the noun form of the adjective "simpatico", which is a notoriously difficult concept to render in English:
    https://bit.ly/2TYvJnj

It's the quality of someone who's nice, fun to hang out with, likable, friendly.

Hopefully I've helped you get a better idea of the meaning. Let's see if someone can come up with a decent translation.

Last edited:
    I take it to mean: "To count on sympathy"
    How's that? Simpatia-sympathy is a classic false friend. Did you look in the dictionary? The meanings you want here are more like congeniality/pleasantness, which of course sound very bad, but convey the meaning at least.

How's that? Simpatia-sympathy is a classic false friend. Did you look in the dictionary? The meanings you want here are more like congeniality/pleasantness, which of course sound very bad, but convey the meaning at least.

I did, but the humor isn't rendering strongly. Perhaps it's also a matter of cultural differences in humor.

Perhaps the best translation is:

This year I have to count on my personality

A few more alternatives perhaps

count on my personal charms
    play up the amiable side of my personality
    dial up my personal charms

Back