LaunchBox Community Forums

PC Engine CD / Turbo Grafx CD games. Cannot figure it out in 2022

chapel

I'm struggling to get my PC Engine CD games to work in LaunchBox

Most of the docs and vids are pretty old. I literally have like 6 games I want to play. They're all imported, I just can't get the emulators to work

The only success I've had is running them directly in TurboEngine, but that doesn't support full screen (crashes)

30 minutes ago, chapel said:

So, I have all the BIOSes.

But are they correct? Retroarch will tell you if it see's the bios files (which go in Retroarch/System by the way) If the retroarch UI says "Bios Missing" then your bios files are incorrect, so i would start there. If your bios files are indeed correct (or you find ones that are) then load a game in Retroarch to test it, this should ALWAYS be your first step, cause if a game does not work in the emulator then it is never going to work from Launchbox either.

So, yeah, it runs fine in Retroarch when I use Beetle. How do I get Launchbox to use retroarch/beetle?

I should mention, when I try to launch Launchbox with mednafenpce fast, nothing happens. it just doesn't do anything. I'm not entirely sure my bios is in the right location for Launchbox...

Edited by chapel

7 minutes ago, chapel said:

So, yeah, it runs fine in Retroarch when I use Beetle. How do I get Launchbox to use retroarch/beetle?

I should mention, when I try to launch Launchbox with mednafenpce fast, nothing happens. it just doesn't do anything. I'm not entirely sure my bios is in the right location for Launchbox...

OK, so at least it works in the emulator, so we now know you have something configured incorrectly in Launchbox. So, go to tools/manage/manage emulators/retroarch, and click on the "Associated Platforms" tab this lists all the systems that are launching in Retroarch (not a exhaustive list and can be added to and edited) find the entry for the platform, this platform name must EXACtLY match what you called the platform when you imported it to Launchbox. Then in the core box double click it and pick the core you want to use (mednafen and beetle are the same core, so in this case pick mednafen).

image.thumb.png.a2dd0afab40652156ade37191ee3e848.png

12 minutes ago, chapel said:

I'm not entirely sure my bios is in the right location for Launchbox...

Launchbox doesnt need or want bios, that is on the emulator and as i said previously goes in the System folder, but if games are launching in Retroarch then its fine.

2 minutes ago, chapel said:

Yeah, mine looks identical to yours except it doesn't say Missing Core File in the status.

When I double click a game it just shows me the hourglass for a second then nothing at all.

Then my only other guess is you did not call the platform "NEC TurboGrafx 16" at import. Can i see some images please, your "Associated platform" tab, like mine above showing the platform and core, and one of the "Details tab" both from the manage emulator screen, and can you right click a game in that platform and go to edit/edit metadata and take a shot of the "Metadata" tab, as well as the "Launching" tab, thanks.

3 hours ago, chapel said:

Yeah, it works in Retroarch, but I've tried other games too. played Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder this morning on Stream with RetroArch just fine.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 105447.png

Screenshot 2022-02-02 105543.png

OK, this might be a path length issue, can you copy that games folder to say your desktop, then editing the game in Launchbox to point at the new location for the .cue and see if it works. Windows has a path length limit of 255, i cant see your entire rom path, but boy does it look long.

G:\Arcade and Consoles\ROMS\PC Engine CD ROMS\Loom (US)

that doesn't seem too long to me.

the Cosmic Fantasy one is a bit longer but well under 255 (125 to be exact)

G:\Arcade and Consoles\ROMS\PC Engine CD ROMS\Cosmic_Fantasy_2_(NTSC-U)_[WTG990301]\Cosmic_Fantasy_2_(NTSC-U)_[WTG990301].cue

My goal is to get this all sorted out on my G drive on my desktop and then copy it all over to an external 500GB NVMe USB-C 3.2 enclosure/hub/video thing... https://shop.acasis.com/products/acasis-portable-10-in-1-hub-with-ssd-enclousre-kickstarter-hot-campaign to run it from regardless of computer I have it on.

I've been doing emulation the old fashioned pain in the ass way (MAME 0.161, individual emulators, etc...) too long and I've owned Big Box and LaunchBox since 2017 but never sat down and actually just did the friggin thing...

and then I got a new standing desk for my house and realized I could finally make the arcade I always wanted (sorry Player 4)

r/battlestations - And then I realized I could turn my standing desk into an 4 player arcade...

Apparently I lucked out and did MAME last because that new update made importing my MAMEset super easy (once I realized I needed to use my newer set and not my older one)

The TurboCD was my last major hurdle right now.

Edited by chapel

Ok, so when I did it this time it asked specifically for the syscard3.PCE file!

I made a copy of my Japanese one and renamed it to syscard3.PCE

I will honestly admit I don't remember it doing that on Monday... and I did update to the latest Launchbox today.

AND NOW THAT SUMBITCH RUNS!

So is there a way to point it to the syscard3.PCE file if you fucked it up (or missed it) before?