Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
@alex_free, allow me to be the first poster to express my thanks and confirm that your handiwork is faultless. :)

Following the instructions to the letter on my 2011 13" MBP under El Capitan, a CD-R was burned for me at 8x on the internal optical drive.
GwaGnk7.png

I placed the burned disc into the Dreamcast and it was time for the moment of the truth.

xTvIQ8T.jpg

Hooray! It has reached the boot screen: so far, so good. :D

hOhTArx.jpg

The emulator has loaded. :)

ycqJfSw.jpg

Let's pick a game and have some fun. ;)

9wTfCoR.jpg

vBiIXkm.jpg

fQ97MKY.jpg

This emulator works perfectly! I no longer need to seek out a Sega Master System and the cartridges at inflated prices (due to retro greed) because I can play the titles on the DC for zilch and with the advantage of much greater flexibility and options. I'm now in a situation where the sky is the limit in terms of what I can explore on the homebrew scene and retail DC games because creating a bootable CD-R from a CDI file is an automated cakewalk.

Alex, thanks so much for your continued efforts on countless fronts that have brought us so many boons in the Mac world. Just a week ago I had no idea that I'd end up owning a Dreamcast and now look at what's available to me without having to mess around with one of my Win boxes.

Astounding! :)

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
@alex_free, allow me to be the first poster to express my thanks and confirm that your handiwork is faultless. :)

Following the instructions to the letter on my 2011 13" MBP under El Capitan, a CD-R was burned for me at 8x on the internal optical drive.
GwaGnk7.png

I placed the burned disc into the Dreamcast and it was time for the moment of the truth.

xTvIQ8T.jpg

Hooray! It has reached the boot screen: so far, so good. :D

hOhTArx.jpg

The emulator has loaded. :)

ycqJfSw.jpg

Let's pick a game and have some fun. ;)

9wTfCoR.jpg

vBiIXkm.jpg

fQ97MKY.jpg

This emulator works perfectly! I no longer need to seek out a Sega Master System and the cartridges at inflated prices (due to retro greed) because I can play the titles on the DC for zilch and with the advantage of much greater flexibility and options. I'm now in a situation where the sky is the limit in terms of what I can explore on the homebrew scene and retail DC games because creating a bootable CD-R from a CDI file is an automated cakewalk.

Alex, thanks so much for your continued efforts on countless fronts that have brought us so many boons in the Mac world. Just a week ago I had no idea that I'd end up owning a Dreamcast and now look at what's available to me without having to mess around with one of my Win boxes.

Astounding! :)
Thank you!

Seeing an unmodified Dreamcast boot a burned CD-R for the first time is something special, the Warez group that came up with the exploit are legendary. 100 CD-R spindles can be found for $30 or cheaper in retail stores nowadays :)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
This is the first of my PowerPC Mac apps that I've ported to Intel. I have made a release that works on Snow Leopard to Mojave (Intel 32 bit). This app allows you to burn bootable Sega Dreamcast software in the proprietary Windows only CDI file format on a Mac.

Website
MacintoshGarden
GitHub
Wow. I could never get that thing to work under PowerPC at all, no matter how many times I tried. My Dreamcast development system wound up being a TiBook running W2k under VPC, and I used all of the Windows tools available at the time to burn the CDs (via USB. Internal didn't work through VPC). Janky, but I wrote a few games for the system, and ported quite a few more. Nowadays I have a GDEMU, so my Dreamcast doesn't even have a GDROM drive anymore... :)

EDIT: Added a photo from 2012 of my Dreamcast development "kit"...

Attachments

• dev.jpg
    dev.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.