5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Greetings, I've decided to start the fifth chapter of my blog! Recently I have been completing some of my favorite games of the past. I primarily do not use cheats codes to complete any video game, occasionally I will use save-states in the beginning on particular stages which I note. Default difficulty settings is Normal. I also do not log any arcade games since they allows for infinite continues. I will answer a few questions about my self below:

What does the blog title mean? The name of my first blog I started back in 2005, eventually purchased a domain re-name it as Special Attack and posted weekly until 2008. I would move to GameSpot (2), GameFaqs (3), GiantBomb (4), and now HowLongToBeat hence (version) 5.

What Is Your Video Game History? I'm a retro video-game enthusiast, preferably arcade style software on home consoles. I started playing computer games twenty-five years ago- started off with arcade cabinets, MS-DOS computer floppy discs, NES, GB, and SNES. Through the 32-bit generation onward SAT, PSX, DC skipping N64. Eventually owning a GC, PSP, and DS not having much interest in XBOX or PS3. Recently sold my PS4 since I am still content with my 360. The past several years I've been catching up playing 3DO, GEN, and TG-16 until today.

What Video Game Genre Do You Like? I enjoy traditional 2D Fighting, occasional 3D Fighting. Action/platform, run'and gun. traditional Shoot'em up, occasional Bullet Hell. competitive Puzzle, logical/sokoban, stacking, block breaker. Rhythm, JRPG, Strategy, Beat'em up, Card/Board, and Pinball games.

What Are Your Favorite Game Systems? SEGA Saturn, TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine + CD + SGX, Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, SEGA Dreamcast, PlayStation, NEO•GEO, Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom + Disk System, SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive + CD + 32X, PlayStation 2, and Nintendo DS.

What Are Your Favorite Video Game Franchise? Street Fighter, Gradius + Parodius, The King of Fighters, Star Soldier, Virtua Fighter, Bomberman, Classic Mega Man + X. Kirby, Bonk/PC Genjin, Ray, Galerians, Pocky & Rocky/KiKi KaiKai, Twinkle Star Sprites, Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu, Umihara Kawase, Puyo Puyo/Puyo Pop, Columns.

What Systems Have You Omitted? Despite owning and playing a number of games I have completed an insufficient amount in each. That includes SEGA Master System/Mark III Sega Card, Xbox 360, Nintendo GameCube, Game Boy + Color + Advance, Atari 2600, and Nintendo Entertainment System.

What About Arcade Emulation? Arcade emulation is omitted since they allow for infinite continues essentially cheating to victory. Although home console ports of arcade games are allowed since they offer a normal stock lives system, difficulty is therefore determined how the the developers intended it to be.

What Game Related Sites Are You On? GiantBomb, Listal, MyVideoGameList, Backloggd, Completionator, GameFAQs, Blogspot, Fightcade, Weebly

User Image

What Do You Post On Giantbomb? I've compiled 80 comprehensive lists regarding multiple genres, system, series, arcade exclusive with majority at 100 games. roughly 7000+ unique games listed in total and 3000+ game related images posted.

What Do You Post On Listal? I've compiled 65 comprehensive lists regarding Fighting game genre on particular systems, and various video game related lists. Rated 3700+ games.

What Do You Post On Backloggd? I've rated 1800+ games and compiled roughly 20 lists. Primarily use it for backlog purposes; Wishlist section for heavy-text Japanese games I wish to play once they are fan-translated in the future.

What Is On Weebly? Comprehensive guide to every Sega Saturn fighting game. As well as RAM cart information, and exclusive software comparison to Sony PlayStation library.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
Games Played/Completed in July-August:

I'm currently playing R-Type on TurboGrafx-16, and Gradius II on Turbo CD. I've just completed for the first time Gradius III: From Legend to Myth on Super Nintendo. I used emulation, with save states, no cheats. Last week I've completed for the first time Gradius on TurboGrafx-16. I used emulation, with 2 save states, no cheats.

User Image

Gokujo Parodius – Pursuing the Past Glory (極上パロディウス ~過去の栄光を求めて~) by Konami / 1994 on Super Famicom

I've just completed using Michael the Pig character on Normal difficulty settings. The beginning stages started off easy, and the slow-down in the cake stage helped maneuver those pesky stray bullets - Thanks SFC! Last week I've completed Parodius Da! on PCE between the two this game was slightly easier until the final stage, in a particular area around the corner I've lost several lives just in that section alone. Overall very fun game with a assorted cast, on to Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius.

User Image

Star Parodier (スターパロジャー) by Kaneko Hudson-Soft / 1992 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

This game started off easy until Stage 5 (Snake Chamber) boss Pharaotto. Then the difficulty kicked up similar to previous Star Solider games.

User Image

Detana!! TwinBee - Bells & Whistles (出たな!! ツインビー) by Konami / 1992 on PC Engine

First play-though on normal difficulty setting. Final stage took three life stock. Still need to get the hang of juggling those bells for the correct items.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Pop'n Twinbee (ポップンツインビー) by Konami / 1993 on Super Famicom

First play-through on Normal difficulty settings. They removed the charge shot this time around to replace it with a move that scatters multiple twinbees that covers the entire screen. The punch mechanic is good at times, although mostly not practical since you must be very close to your enemy for it to hit. The final boss pattern was on the easy side but without a strong weapon it lasted well over five minutes. I used the punch attack to sever it's limbs quicker. Having a health bar in a shooter was also surprising, it was helpful towards the later stages. I've had 5 extra unused credits at the end.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Psychic Storm (サイキック・ストーム) by Alfa System / 1992 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

Average difficulty shooter with fantastic music throughout. Had two unique mechanics, instead of a bomb attack you transform into a large 'insect-like' space craft that has enhanced firepower. In 2P cooperative mode once transformed the second player controls a small cross-hair to aim and fire repeatably. After each stage it allows you to change character, and mid-way through the game you can choose which "planet" (stage) to complete next. Final Boss is similar to Gradius and Parodius series which doesn't fight back/is defenseless. No save states, Normal mode setting, no cheats, had 2 extra lives at the end.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Bulk Slash (バルク スラッシュ) by CAProduction / 1997 on Sega Saturn

May 23, 2006 I wrote my review of Bulk Slash on my initial blog, later posted on GameFAQ review. Back then I made it to the final stage but did not complete the game. Decided to re-play it today. 15 years 2 months 15 days later I've finished the game. Final boss I used five lives.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Atomic Robo-Kid Special (アトミック・ロボキッド・スペシャル) by UPL / 1988 on PC Engine

Finally completed the final stage using several save states primarily because my grenade weapon was under-powered. The hybrid of shooter, and run'and gun takes a bit to get familiar with not moving the screen too fast to usher in a slew of enemies which stick around to fire at you once you passed them. Four variations of stages; side-scrolling, maze, versus 1 ship, and boss. The special edition follows the arcade original and has six more stages than the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive port. Moderate difficulty, no cheats, save states on final stage.

User Image

Kaizō Chōjin Shubibinman (改造町人シュビビンマン) by NCS Masaya / 1989 on PC Engine

Early amateur action platform game that only improved on follow-up games of the series. Since all the menus were in Japanese I bought at random at the item/shop screen. The final stage has an invisible magnet area you must jump over, gliding 'wings' item, and a strange anti-gravity passage. The ending boss would have been easier if I were equipped with a stronger sword, but after 3 save states I managed to defeat it. Easy difficulty, No cheats, 3 save states.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Kaizō Chōjin Shubibinman 2: Aratanaru Teki (改造超人シュビビンマン2 新たなる敵) by Winds / 1992 on PC Engine

Average follow-up to a lackluster debut. Graphics and controls have been updated although the slippery walk persists. Large creative bosses, boring stages and enemies, an overall mediocre experience. Below average sound effects, story-line. The added shoot'em up stages are a plus, although again mediocre with the exception of the final "chasing stage". Moderate difficulty (although the 2nd to final boss has an inescapable fireball blast that will require an item or high health to defeat). Used several save stages, (1) full health cheat on 2nd to final boss.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

I own all the home console systems including attachments and half of the video games. A brief description of how I categorize my video game library below.

Playing: Currently on rotation playing through several stages coming back to them and eventually settling down to completing one game at a time.

Next Up: Follow-up games, in queue for playing next.

Pause: Half way completed, played years ago, plan to continue until completion in near future.

Backlog: Never before played games I plan to start playing until completion in the near future.

Hiatus: Started off playing, played years ago. majority are Role-playing games that I do not have the time to complete.

Retired: Played years ago, and do not plan to resume playing or complete.

User Image

My ratings start at three score being the lowest grade to ten being the highest grade. A brief description of how I rate my video game library below.

🔺 Score 10: Masterpiece. Phenomenal. A+ tier. What dreams are made of.

🔺 Score 9: Excellent. Exceptional. A tier. Hair off the mark.

🔺 Score 8: Great. Solid. B+ tier. Would Recommend.

🔺 Score 7: Good. Average. B tier. Casually recommend.

🔺 Score 6: Passable. Below Average. C+ tier. Flawed.

🔺 Score 5: Borderline decent. Stalemate. C tier. Some flaw.

🔺 Score 4: Avoid. Bad. D+ tier. Major flaw(s).

🔺 Score 3: Abysmal. Terrible. D tier. Critical flaw(s).
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
Gran Chaser (グランチェイサー) by NexTech / 1995 on Sega Saturn

Below average futuristic racer. Graphics are average- overall frame rate, draw distance, stages design are better than Hi-Octane also on Sega Saturn. Unfortunately weapons usually miss hitting the opponent, frame rate drops significantly in 2-Player mode, and the voice acting is terrible. One highlight was the soundtrack consisting of heavy metal tracks throughout. Completed 'Standard mode' (first, second, and third place) and in the process of completing 'Advance mode' which requires you to place first on ever course.

User Image

DownLoad 2 (ダウンロード2) by Alfa System / 1991 on PC Engine CD-ROM²

Very creative shooter that borrows inspiration from Gradius, Star Wars, and even Adolf Hitler makes an appearance. A step up to Down Load in every department; visually, gameplay, story, audio, and has a cinematic feel to it. Levels are either in the real world or 'jacked-in' in the digital world. A stage and boss are taken directly from Gradius - Volcano, and Moai patterns. No cheats, no save states. The game has infinite continues that set you back to the beginning of each stage.

User Image

Wolf Fang: Kuuga 2001 (ウルフファング 空牙2001) by Data East / 1997 on Sega Saturn

What a fantastic hybrid of run'and gun and shoot'em up gameplay! You pilot a giant robot that can dash, jump, crouch, slash, bomb, and shoot your way through a slew of enemies coming from all angles including behind you. In the beginning you choose your robot or you can customize parts to make your own that suits your play style for example having a long-sword and homing missile combination. Overall excellent action-packed 2P experience that spans more than ten stages. Once your robot is destroyed you eject similar to Metal Warriors and are now allowed to fly and shoot thanks to your jet pack - once you collect three power item pieces then you can re-build your robot suit. Admittedly I've used more than ten continues. No cheats.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Burning Rangers (バーニングレンジャー) by Sonic Team / 1998 on Sega Saturn

Super ambitious unique action-adventure game that pushed Saturn to it's limits! I was pleasantly surprised how the gameplay changed up several times. For example the first stage you are becoming familiar in a linear fire-extinguishing experience with a cute dolphin mission. Next you must turn on switches to unlock doors and it becomes a horror-survival genre. Then you find yourself in a ice cave where you must swim though to the other side. Once emerged, you have a aircraft rail-shooter stage leading into the most platform oriented level in the game- where you must climb narrow blocks without falling down to your demise. Boss stages were creative and the animation + soundtrack were top notch!

User Image

Kuuga Operation Code Vapor Trail (空牙–オペレーション コード 蒸気 トレイル) by Data East / 1991 on Mega Drive

Average shooter that has a 2P co-up option. Stages 1-4 difficulty were average but in stage 5 the difficult increased exponentially, especially when the black helicopter formations showed up- that required precision aircraft placement. After stage five the game went back to being an average difficulty, surprisingly including the final boss. No cheats, (1) save state on stage 5.

User Image

Skull Fang Kuuga Gaiden (スカルファング~空牙外伝~) by Data East / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Luscious pre-rendered 'pseudo 3D' graphics, stages are straight-forward when it comes to vertical shooters although the bosses have a unique distance radar indicator that you must keep an eye on. Overall average experience. No cheats, save states were used.

User Image

Touryuu Densetsu: Elan Doreé (闘龍伝説エランドール) by Sai-Mate / 1999 on Sega Saturn

Unique weapon based arena fighting game riding on dragons, a real one of a kind game. Closest similarity would be Taito's Psychic Force, where you have 360° freedom to move and attack. At first I underestimated the depth but combos exist, special moves, super attacks, meter management (you must allocate in order to win) techniques to recover once your knocked off your dragon and more. The final boss took several attempts to defeat. No save states, no cheats.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Chouzetsu Rinjin Beraboman (超絶倫人ベラボーマン) by Namcot / 1990 on PC Engine

Charming super hero themed platform action game. Nearly average all around from gameplay, sound, music, graphics, and presentation although features a few unusual attacks and high difficulty in later levels. Your main character uses his arms, legs and head to stretch and hit his opponents. Parody enemy designs with tiny tanks, ninjas, children hiding under baskets, and goofy bosses that include sumo wrestler, female ninja, sea dragons and more. Being an arcade port I expected a short game, but 21 stages need to be completed. Half way through the game you do get repeated boss battles, enemies, only on stage 16 onward you will encounter new stages. A nice break in pace were the underwater shoot'em up levels. The final stage, which is a boss rush leading up to the final boss, became very frustrating one instance is having to fight a clone of yourself, again, that mimics your moves which was a headache to defeat. Admittedly this game took longer than expected to finish, partly due to his 'Bravo jump' technique that is needed in certain areas that is awkward to perform on the controller. Hard game in later levels especially given the limited continues. No cheats, I did use save states from stage 16 onward.

User Image

Mr. HELI no Daiboken (Mr.HELIの大冒険) by Irem / 1989 on PC Engine

Excellent free-roaming action shooter game. Rewarding currency and item system. Overall average difficulty although final boss on stage 2 is very hard to defeat unless you have a mid-high health because of its frantic pattern and touch of death. Multi-directional stage layouts and variety of enemies and unique boss battles. Gameplay is comparable to Atomic Robo Kid but with more freedom in stage design. At the end of the game you continue playing a 'Special' mode, I'm not entirely sure what the difference is since it starts at the beginning of the game with your power-ups intact. No cheats, (1) save state was used on the final boss of stage two.

User Image

Cyberbots (サイバーボッツ) by Capcom / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Detailed 2D fighting game similar to Vampire Hunters but with a unique 'boost' mechanic that features a cast of robots. Continuation of Powered Gear series that doesn't disappoint featuring characters with short range attacks to long range. Decent length for a fighting game. No cheat, no save states.

Gekirindan (逆鱗弾) by Taito / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Tons of personality in stage backgrounds and audio department. Nice use of pseudo-3D graphical effects combined with an pulsating soundtrack. Reoccurring boss greets you with several robot battles fought throughout different time zones from the past, present, to the future. Average challenge for a vertical shooter. No cheats, no save states.

Batsugun (バツグン) by Toaplan / 1996 on Sega Saturn

Precursor to the bullet-hell genre, reminiscence of DonPachi in gameplay department. Final boss was very difficult having excess health. Overall challenging game that bridges the gap between traditional shoot'em up games to modern. No cheats, save state on final boss.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Madö King Granzört (魔動王マドーキンググランゾート) by Mutech / 1990 on PC Engine SuperGrafx

A SuperGrafx exclusive! Challenging action platform game with various stages, enemies, and bosses throughout. Ability to switch anytime between three armored warriors each with different attributes. Average difficulty, although stage seven you must run a gauntlet against a sea of enemies that will test your patience. Sharp controls, fair enemy re-spawns, detailed graphics, and large creative bosses. No cheats, several save states in the beginning of each level starting on stage four.

User Image

Mashin Eiyuden Wataru (魔神英雄伝ワタル) by Advance Communication Company / 1988 on PC Engine

Below average action platform game. Sloppy hit detection, leaps of faith jumps, amateur programming- where enemies are allowed to walk on spike floor and re-spawn indefinitely, mundane stage design where every level is recycled and use the near exact backgrounds with only a slight color hue changes. The game is split up into two worlds 'overworld' and 'underworld' - the overworld is a slow slog where you must repeatedly attack tiny enemies to collect coins to purchase upgrades, and the underworld you pilot a super-deformed robot that has slippery controls walking through until you reach the bottom where the boss appears. A good change of pace are the shops to upgrade your weapon and purchase magic, although they do not look very different than the previous weapon/magic you already are equipped with. Bosses are even recycled as enemies throughout later stages. To top it off the final boss has a glitch when you stand too close to it doesn't attack back! No cheats, (6) save states before each level.

User Image

PC Genjin 2 (PC原人 2) by Red Entertainment / 1990 on PC Engine

Pithecanthropus Computerurus is taking revenge in this follow-up. Enjoyed the overall improvements on level length and plentiful hidden bonus games. Stages also have more variety to them and difficulty has increased slightly from the original. The original PC Genjin was so quirky it felt more like a novelty or parody of mascot-type platform games of the time, whereas this game is more fleshed out and could hold its own in the genre. It still retains it's strange elements with wacky enemies and bosses. No cheats, (1) save state on final stage.

User Image

L-Dis (エルディス) by NCS Masaya / 1991 on PC Engine CD-ROM²

Very solid horizontal cute'em up with spectacular music, and voice throughout the game. Colorful graphics with use of parallax-scrolling in later stages, visually very appealing. Item and weapon power-ups are greatly inspired by Gradius having a similar method of upgrading and choosing a set at the start of the game. Definition of a ' hidden gem ' that is was never localized and remained exclusive to the console. BUT do not let the cute visuals fool you, this is a very challenging game once you reach stage 5. Prior stages are manageable with the (sparce) continues, becoming increasing harder stage 4. The fifth stage will test your patience, ability to navigate tight corridors, that include a boss rush ahead. Once you get passed the lengthy final boss you are greeted to the stage from HELL - gravity controlling split second reactions are required. No cheats, but I did use the most save states (10) majority on stages 4 onward.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Gaiares (ガイアレス) by Telenet Japan / 1990 on Mega Drive

Could have been a spectacular exclusive shoot'em up if it wasn't for the increased difficulty. Unique ability grabbing mechanic allows you take use of enemies weapons. Changing your ship move speed frequently is essential for defeating bosses and navigating certain stages, that's why it is mapped to button A (instead of select for example). An overall difficult shooter, but in a totally different way where reflex and bullet recognition isn't the factor but recognizing deceptively placed pattern order and navigating though a AI that predicts your last ship placement is. Things are not as they seem, before you progress the scrolling screen wait for a traps to be released on several stages.

An HCG101 article describes it the best "... enemy locations and firing patterns are not fixed but based upon player position, meaning the game constantly adapts and is almost procedurally generated. You can’t simply memorize their locations, you need to be ready to adapt with them. In conjunction with this, speed changing is essential." No cheat, save states were used before each stage and (2) on the sixth boss.

User Image

Gate of Thunder (ゲート オブ サンダー) by RED Entertainment / 1992 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

Masterpiece shooter. This is the pinnacle of console based shoot'em ups aspire to be; graphics, music, audio, gameplay, cut-scenes, all top notch with the guidance of Hudson-soft debuting in 1992. Fair reflex and pattern recognition, with seldom deceptive enemy craft re-spawns. Average difficulty with options to increase to hard mode for shooter veterans. No cheats, No save states.

Air Buster / Aero Blasters (エアロブラスターズ) by Kaneko / 1990 on PC Engine

Average horizontal shooter that is 2-Players just bumping the score to Seven. Stage three on-ward difficulty increases, particularity the anti-gravity 'ice-like' sliding movement stage. It was a nuisance to navigate through. No cheats, (5) save states

User Image

Thunder Force III (サンダーフォースIII) by Technosoft / 1990 on Mega Drive

Very solid early SEGA shooter. Average difficulty with fantastic level design. No Cheats, (3) save states and (3) on the final boss.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Eliminate Down (エリミネートダウン) by Aprinet / 1993 on Mega Drive

Very creative, challenging, exclusive, Japanese-import shooter! You have three weapons that you power-up gradually, straight forward shot, backward shot, bottom & top shot. You also have an option to change the speed of your ship, a few moments they are necessary navigating tight corners and Stage 7 final boss. Interactive stages, strange mini-bosses is an overall experience. Difficult shooter but not impossible, no cheats but save states were used before each level.

Rabbit (羅媚斗) by Aorn / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Surprising a very solid 2D fighting game! Chinese zodiac spirit animals are summoned for additional attacks and super moves. Features running, two jumps, knock-down attacks, and even high and low parries that once performed can follow up with an counter combo. Final boss has SNK boss syndrome that is nearly impossible to defeat, took several attempts. No cheats or save states.

XDR: X-Dazedly-Ray (エックス・ディー・アール) by UNIPACC / 1990 on Mega Drive

Early linear average exclusive shooter that is great for beginners to intermediate players. Nothing flashy; graphics, gameplay, audio and music all average with a difficulty that is below-average until you reach the final stage it bumps up a notch. Nearly 1CC it on the first play-through although on Stage 6 I got hit, also on final boss I got hit. No cheats or save states.

User Image

PC Denjin Punkic Cyborg (PC原人シリーズ PC電人) by Red Company / 1992 on PC Engine

Super colorful and addicting cute'em up! Features plentiful of weapon power ups, various additional allies help you out, unique charge shots that are particular to the weapon you have equipped, and a giant pink turd (rocket) as bomb. Awesome 😎. No cheats, no save states.

User Image

Whip Rush: Mystery of the planet Voltegas (ウィップラッシュ 惑星ボルテガスの謎) by Vic Tokai / 1990 on Mega Drive

Average shoot'em up that features a whip ability to smack your enemies. Moderate difficulty that is ideal for beginners. No cheats, no save states.

Verytex (ヴェリテックス) by Opera House / 1991 on Mega Drive

Going to be a bi-polar review because of the sharp spike of difficulty on the final boss. Overall borrows heavily from Star Soldier series with near identical power-ups, stage design, vertical scrolling speed, with little slowdown. Fantastic music that is also played throughout. Initially was going to recommend for beginners in the genre that allows forgiving continues, plentiful power-ups, fair mini-bosses and end bosses. Although the final boss last version is near impossible to defeat the difficulty ramps up to 11/10 where no amount of bombs, shields collected will save you! Average, borderline shooter lacking identity, that is more or less a watered down PC Engine game on Mega Drive. Final boss on the level of SNK boss syndrome where elements exist that can exploit the enemy pattern in order to defeat. No cheats, (1) save state on final boss - that took several attempts to defeat.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto (奇々怪界 謎の黒マント) by Natsume / 1992 on Super Famicom

Outstanding run'and gun 2P action game that only improved on the original! Smooth animation, detailed sprites, graphical effects, and above all challenging difficulty. This time around you do have a life meter, but it took me several continues to complete the final stages. Normal difficulty settings. No Cheats, yes save states were used.

User Image

Pop'n Magic (ぽっぷ'nまじっく) by Riot Telenet / 1992 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

Colorful and quaint 2P exclusive home console action game. Wonderful visual cut scenes with great voice dialog. Gameplay borrows heavily from Bubble Bobble series but with it's own unique twist. Large sprite bosses, and decent length to complete. Difficulty increases slightly on the last world leading up to the final boss. No cheats, yes save states for convenience since it was a long game.

User Image

Cratermaze (ドラえもん 迷宮大作戦) by Hudson-soft / 1990 on PC Engine

Mediocre maze action game that misses the mark. Variation of the original 1987 arcade game by Nihon Bussan which featured a more frantic & challenging experience. This version tones down the gameplay exponentially, perhaps appealing to novice video game players. Unfortunately difficulty remains the same throughout the game - as for bosses, only 2 exist that go by very quick. No cheats save states were used for convenience since it was a long game.

User Image

Battle Mania (バトルマニア) by Vic Tokai / 1991 on Mega Drive

Easily one of the most unique Mega Drive games with tons of personality. Everything from characters, bosses, and most importantly gameplay- where you control two lead pilots at once! Choose between an array of bomb attacks before the stage begins. No cheats, No save states. Normal mode.

Battle Mania Daiginjou (バトルマニア大吟醸) by Vic Tokai / 1993 on Mega Drive

Fantastic follow-up! More co-pilot action but now being twice as difficult as the original. Innovative stages and abundant surprises around each boss completion. No Cheats, (2) save states on the last two levels.

Gynoug (ジノーグ) by NCS Masaya / 1991 on Mega Drive

Intriguing early exclusive shooter. Forgiving continues, plentiful power-ups, beautiful soundtrack. I'd like to mention speed power-ups could be detrimental to accumulate when navigating tight corridors, tunnels, and could make it more difficult to dodge bosses bullet patterns. Default difficulty settings was Easy. No cheats, no save states were used.

Psycho Dream (サイコドリーム) by Riot Telenet / 1992 on Super Famicom

The definition of visual aesthetics for a platform game. Everything from the settings, character design, and mist graphical effects have distinct ambient dream-like quality to them. Unfortunately the gameplay is average and isn't breaking any new ground. Overall you have a mixed bag exclusive home console game. No Cheats, no save states. Normal Difficulty.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
Games Played/Completed in February-June:

It's been awhile since I updated, the past months I've completed a handful of games for the seventh and eighth generation systems. Hudson-soft's Bomberman 2, Konami's Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Ambrella's Pokémon Dash, Namco's Pac 'n Roll, EnjoyUp's Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, HAL Laboratory's Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby: Squeak Squad, and Kirby: Canvas Curse on Nintendo DS. Next HAL Laboratory's Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Nintendo's Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Retro Studio's Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on Nintendo Wii and Wii U.

User Image

Vectorman (ベクターマン) by BlueSky Software / 1995 on Mega Drive

Beautiful visuals, sloppy programming. Liner stage designs that become predictable. Interesting mini-games that take advantage of the hardware some better than others. Save States were used before each stage for convenience. Used several on final boss.

Vectorman 2 (ベクターマン 2) by BlueSky Software / 1996 on Mega Drive

A step down in the visual department, still retains sloppy hit detection. Appreciate the tweaks in the stage design that breaks up the monotony of the original. Bosses are less creative, a few broken that are easily defeated. No Save States were used.

Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ) by Sonic Team / 1991 on Mega Drive

A Timeless classic. Don't let the first stage fool you, later stages the pace of the game slows down for tight platforming action. Zero Emeralds were collected. One Save State was used, normal continues until Final Boss - 4 Save States were used.

Formation Armed F (フォーメーション アームドF) by Manjyudo Takanori Tanaka and team / 1990 on PC Engine

Several steps down from the arcade original overall; average graphics, slow gameplay, although the unique 'formation' feature is in-tact. Difficulty ramps up on stage 5 onward. I had trouble recognizing what was in the background and foreground maneuvering my ship. Tricky stages that requires the proper formation, but the bosses are a breeze once powered up. No cheats, save states were used at stage five onward.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin (スカッド: 使い捨ての暗殺者) by Syrox Developments / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Great memories reading the comic book series years ago, around the time the exclusive game was released. I rented it a few times but could never progress that far. Finally going back all these years later to complete it! That being said, it is a charming game that draws you into the world that allows for 2P co-operative gameplay and use of the light gun. Changes up from a standard run'and gun, platformer, arcade first-person shooter, to name a few. Downside is the sloppy hit detection whether jumping platform to platform, dodging explosions, and falling through micro cracks near elevators. I found a few mechanics such as roll-dodging, and jump kicking detrimental overall. No cheats, save states were used before each level.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Tetris Plus (テトリスプラス) by Natsume / 1996 on Sega Saturn

Very good twist on a classic.

Browning (ブロウニング) by Riot Telenet / 1992 on PC Engine CD-ROM²

Average robot action games with great cut scenes, too bad the game is very short to complete. Save states were used on final stage boss.

Three Dirty Dwarves (スリー・ダーティ・ドワーブズ) by SegaSoft / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Rough beat'em up with cartoon graphics, a product of it's time! Once you get used to reviving your allies it becomes easier to play. Save states were used for convenience.

Elemental Gearbolt (幻世虚構 精霊機導弾) by Alfa System / 1997 on PlayStation

Beautifully animated cut-scenes with average light gun gameplay. Used a standard controller, no light gun. Completed Training mode "Easy mode". Might return in the future to complete on Normal difficulty settings.

Shienryu (紫炎龍) by Warashi / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Solid vertical shooter with a ridiculously long final boss! Without spoiling try to save as many bombs as possible for the final stage.

Thunder Force VI (サンダーフォース VI ) by Sega / 2008 on PlayStation 2

Seamless experience but lost it's charm of the original series. No cheats or save states were used.

Willy Wombat (ウィリーウォンバット) by Hudson-Soft / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Definition of an underrated! The most captivating story-line (in English) for an action-adventure game of the 32-bit generation. Graphics are good keeping it simple with engaging gameplay through 27 stages. Solid experience. Beautiful opening and closing music as well! No cheats, save state were used on final 4 stages.

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On: Operation Moongate (電脳戦機バーチャロン) by Sega AM3 / 1996 on Sega Saturn

Greatest Robot Versus Game by SEGA! Transition from arcade to home console kept its core gameplay in-tact.

D-Xhird (ディ・サード) by Takara / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Intriguing exclusive weapon based 3D fighting game, with rough controls.

Last Bronx (ラストブロンクス -東京番外地-) by Sega AM3 / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Wonderful memories playing this on the arcade years go, awesome port!

Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau's Adventure – First Volume (クロックワーク ナイト ~ ペパルーチョの大冒険・上巻~) by AM7 / 1994 on Sega Saturn

Early 3D done right, straight-forward 2.5 platform adventure game that is short but sweet.

G Vector (ジーベクター) by Soft Office / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Underrated rail shooter that delivers. Save States were used on the 2 final bosses.

Soukyugurentai (蒼穹紅蓮隊) by Raizing / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Wonderful atmosphere on par with the best shoot'em ups has to offer! Not to mention excellent original soundtrack worth buying.

SteamGear Mash (スチームギア マッシュ) by TamSoft / 1995 on Sega Saturn

Fun exclusive isometric action-adventure game! Completed without English translation, it is possible.No cheats, No save states were used

Blast Wind (ブラストウインド) by Technosoft / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Feels like a crisp PC Engine shooter on steroids, very good!

Planet Joker (プラネット・ジョーカー) by IMP / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Charming albeit below average 3D shoot'em up. Game abruptly ends after a cut-scene. Easy Mode. No Save States.

Layer Section II (レイヤーセクションⅡ) by TOSE / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Cinematic experience! No Cheats. Easy Mode, Max Continues, Max Lives. Save States were used on the (2) final stages.

Layer Section (レイヤーセクション) by Ving / 1995 on Sega Saturn

Final boss had to pause multiple times to properly space. Normal mode. Save states were used.

Radiant Silvergun (レイディアント シルバーガン) by Treasure / 1998 on Sega Saturn

Masterpiece anomaly of the 32-bit generation. Save States were used. Easy Mode. No Cheats.

NinPen Manmaru (忍ペンまん丸) by TamTam /1997 on Sega Saturn

Colorful early 3D platform adventure game, bare-bones but fun.

Thunder Force IV (サンダーフォース Ⅳ) by Technosoft / 1992 on Mega Drive

One of the best shooters on any system. Normal Mode. Used Save States on Final 3 Stages.

Thunder Force V (サンダーフォース Ⅴ) by Technosoft / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Phenomenal experience for a creative 3D shoot'em up! No cheats

AMOK (アモック) by Lemon / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Ambitious action game with no slowdown. Ending unlocked Hard difficulty settings. Normal difficulty. No cheats.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
Rabio Lepus Special (ラビオレプススペシャル) by Minakuchi Engineering / 1990 on PC Engine

Tricky cute'em up! Starts off as your average early horizontal shooter equipped with homing missiles. Unique items such as the bow-tie that increases your missile ability, what appears to be ancient sake cups increases your score, carrots for health, and the rare Tanuki statue that renders you invincible for a short time while flashing and glowing in bright rainbow colors. Fair life bar, and continue options. Now here comes the tricky parts - some items can get stuck on the bottom ground frame that will become unattainable. A few spoilers ahead the final two stages have their share of surprises with an unexpected progression to reveal the final boss. The snake boss I highly suggest having (2 minimum) missiles in order to defeat since the pattern is very difficult to maneuver without dying. At the final boss if you attempt to defeat him you will be greeted by two lightening fast homing fireballs from behind that will quickly take you out! What must be done is punch the castle wall behind the boss once he fades away to reveal the true final boss. I learnt the hard way decided to share a few tips!

No cheats were used. Save States were used starting on Stage 4 onward.

Barunba (バルンバ) by Zap / 1990 on PC Engine

Early multi-direction shoot'em up that is just off the mark of being a good game. Original rotating mechanic that fires in multilateral directions, plenty of enemy variation, large boss battles, weapon power-up, scarce life power-ups. One issues I had was understanding the weapon power-up gauge since my weapons primarily stayed the same. Lot of trial and error on unexpected enemy placement, and realizing what weapon to use on particular bosses. What makes this off the mark is only have (5) lives and (0) continues! Normally I condone any use of cheats but in this case the built-in Continue cheat is recommended.

Pro Tip #1 you can touch any part of the stage without taking damage.

Pro Tip #2 Play similar to a run'and gun video game and use stages with sharp angles to calculate your next maneuver without taking damage.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Johnny Bazookatone (ジョニー・バズーカ) by Arc Developments / 1995 on 3DO

This game was cryptic!
definition of cryptic: having a meaning that is mysterious or obscure.

On the surface you have a delightful pre-rendered 2D run 'n gun that included platforming, item collecting, unique hovering mechanic, complete with boss battles. What's not to like? The moment you press start to begin your journey on the first stage it became clear something is off. Several things are wrong. What is considered background and foreground in order to jump on, slippery walking and running controls, hit detection of enemies, hit detection of your gun. But that isn't game breaking, more of a nuisance instead - besides it wasn't programmed by some big name developer. Then you realize you need to utilize the flying mechanic of shooting your gun down while doing a running jump in order to hover over obstacles such as spiked vines. Tricky at first but eventually will need to become second nature to progress throughout later stages.

So far not a terrible game, sloppy but not terrible. Still in the 5-6/10 Score. Now I will explain the cryptic elements. Spoilers ahead. Stage 3 has you needing to move by shooting, a briefcase to use as a trampoline in order to jump on a roof of an exit door. A second one in order to collect a poorly visible ticket stub in the air. Bosses show little to no indication they are being attacked. Your charge shot ability takes fifteen seconds to shoot that is practically useless since enemies will walk into you or shoot you from across the screen. Charge shot also doesn't damage bosses and certain enemies. I'm still unsure what the importance of collecting musical notes were. On top of all this is the quick deaths from leap of faith jumps, soon your credits will expire.

I will give credit to the Kitchen stage, and tunnel they were not as obscure on the requirements to complete them. The second to final stages falls back to being cryptic returning to several elevators, melting monsters, and retrieving headphones to name a few. The wheelchair stages were a good change of pace. Overall a very amateur, sloppy, experience with a fantastic soundtrack. If it wasn't for all the issues it would have been a 5/10 but it suffers from several that make it unnecessarily more difficult then it should be.

User Image

Flopon World (フロポ・ンワールド) by WARP / 1995 on 3DO

Space Flopon is the main shooter strategy RPG hybrid game that allows you to visit shops, level up, and defeat bosses on the map. Each skirmish is called a Phase with a wave of enemy ship patterns you must defeat, score is based on accuracy. Score points are currency where you can buy items in the shop. The final boss took several attempts to defeat. Other modes in this compilation game end with score. The Final boss takes many shots to defeat. Other games in this compilation are score based and multiplayer.

Trip'd (フロポンワールド) by WARP / 1995 on 3DO

Bare bones clone of the popular puzzle series of the time. Features single-player mode that gives you a high score. Versus mode against a computer opponent or human player that allows you to break Deow'Nz and send them one on their side. A strange mode called Trip'Dance that allows you to create patterns of art and music. Would be a solid score higher if stages changed, or had a story. No cheats save states were used for convenience.

AutoBahn Tokio (アウトバーントキオ) by Sanai Enterprise / 1995 on 3DO

Abysmal frame rate resembling a picture slide-show. Graphic glitches from pop-ins, texture warping, and chopping image clipping when turning your wheels on stages. Good music and subpar sound effects. Three courses that allows for Automatic or Manual transmission. Would have been the lowest score ranked but I've used emulation to boost CPU speed allowing for smoother gameplay. Still a very poor 32-bit 3D racing game, one of the worst! Completed 3 courses on Easy Mode.

User Image

Puzzle Bobble (パズル・ボブル) by Taito / 1994 on 3DO

Iconic spin-off series that took off. Besides a 2-Player mode the limited options are to be expected. Single player has you completing (100) stages with different backgrounds and difficulty changes throughout- starting on stage 70 it increases noticeably. A single final boss exists which was a surprise. This port had a great soundtrack, minimal loading times and overall was fantastic. Normal difficulty, No cheats.

Another World (アウターワールド) by Delphine Software / 1994 on 3DO

Epic one of a kind experience. Trial and error progression on determining your next moves to escape. At times cryptic, but never impossible to come to realization on the correct path order. Two areas bewildered me in the beginning and towards the end. This port background was detailed and conveyed an alien planet along side the atmospheric soundtrack that complemented the gameplay. No cheats.

User Image

Powers Kingdom (パワーズキングダム) by Micro Cabin / 1994 on 3DO

Aesthetics. The first impression is pure originality. Visually the idea of blending pre-rendered super deformed small Golem units in a fully textured realistic world would sound preposterous- but it was pulled off majestically! What a unique looking strategy RPG, heavy on the tactical battles rather story, complete with a shredding soundtrack. This is one of the most straight-forward games I've played, which to some can be a bad thing, but with its simplicity comes micro managing stats, items, weapons, armor or bodies. One item allows the player to capture the enemy to have them join your party. Another cool feature is the combo attacks where you must connect to a fellow party member to dish out a devastation spell that damages multiple enemies. If you want to dive in to gameplay, pick-up and play game this is for you. Appreciate save option that is readily available during a stage and when you exit the stage. Only drawback is the final few stage layouts become a disorienting since you must rely on warps to find your way around. No cheats were used.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Grid Runner (グリッドランナー) by Radical Entertainment / 1996 on Sega Saturn

Addictive gameplay especially in 2-player multiplayer mode. Essentially a capture the flag objective- by running into, tagging your opponent you can regain access to flags. You have have a unlimited gun attack that slows your opponent down, no life bars in this game instead whoever reaches the flag goal wins. Several magic abilities you can use by collecting according colored pellets scattered throughout the stage; speed increase, teleport to nearest re-spawn station, and slow attack to slow down your rival. Average audio, music, cut scenes, with slightly above average gameplay and graphics that get the job done. Plenty of stages, only negative critique is you cannot unlock bosses to play as in 2-player mode, and the stage select is random. No cheats were used.

User Image

Hyper 3D Taisen Battle Gebocker (ハイパー3D対戦バトル ゲボッカーズ) by Riverhillsoft / 1996 on Sega Saturn

Ambitious pre-rendered arena fighter with full-range of movement including double jumps. Link cable support allows for non-split screen versus mode. Responsive controls, large areas at times barren, unique set of characters with individual special attacks and move speed. Short game that is overlooked. No cheats or save states were used. Normal difficulty setting.

User Image

Rockman 8: Metal Heroes (ロックマン8 メタルヒーローズ) by Capcom / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Capturing the best elements of the previous generation elevating them in it's 32-bit glory. Well thought out stage designs, weapon upgrade shop system that has you re-visited completed stages collecting currency. Beautifully drawn animated cut scenes in the beginning and end of the game. Easter eggs throughout from the bonus artwork, characters cameos and more. No cheats were used. In-game save states were used for convenience.

User Image

Riglordsaga (リグロード サーガ) by Micro Cabin / 1995 on Sega Saturn

One of the Greatest Strategy RPG on Sega Saturn! Distinct pre-rendered graphical style with the characters complete with 3D map locations. Battles are the most satisfying unlocking new abilities and party members. Primary focus on the strategy aspect with a linear story-line and small world map. Role-playing elements are second in talking to town locals, shops, and story progression. Some optional side-quest are available but not necessary to complete the game. No cheats were used. In-game save states were used and (1) save state on the final stage.

User Image

Short Warp (ショートワープ) by WARP / 1996 on 3DO

Collection of nine mini games one of them being a sequel to the puzzle game that has an endless 1P mode and VS Player and VS CPU mode with different difficulty settings. Novelty and product of it's time.

Family Feud (ファミリー・フュード) by Eurocom / 1994 on 3DO

Loyal to the original television series complete with voice acting. Several options to change game rules such as time limits, difficulty, and amount of participants. Team customization to personalize your characters from name, hobby, age and other stats. The most complete version of the game from this era across all home console platforms. Overall average game that is enjoyable in short bursts preferably with a friend.

Twisted: The Game Show (痛快ゲームショーツイステッド) by Studio 3DO / 1993 on 3DO

Ambitious early experimental board game that utilized the strength of the hardware. Digitized characters on a animated background participate in a collection zany mini-games from matching, jigsaw puzzle, and others. Product of it's time that has great replay value.

Crash 'n Burn (クラッシュ・アン・バーン) by Crystal Dynamics / 1993 on 3DO

Phenomenal draw distance, surprising stable frame-rate, good visuals and graphical effects on courses. That's where the positive remarks end. Single player only, weapons seldom cause any affect on opponent racers. Music and sound are below average. Stages while different in textures are unfortunately similar in track layout. Full-motion video scenes are also present for better or worse.

User Image

Doctor Hauzer (ドクターハウザー) by Riverhillsoft / 1994 on 3DO

One of the pioneers in the genre to use use fully rendered 3D environments and character models opposed 3D pre-rendered graphics. Good puzzle solving, trial and error pace complete with unique death animations. Short but sweet experience that includes a good introduction and ending cut scene that ties the story together. Would have been a low 4 score for its abysmal frame rate due to lack of hardware knowledge and or hardware limitations. Since I completed it on emulation I was able to boost CPU speed allowing for smoother gameplay in that case would be a high 6 score.

D (Dの食卓) by WARP / 1995 on 3DO

Cult classic that hasn't aged well. Ambiance was captured very well starting with the opening until the ending of the game. The use of only full-motion video animated cut scenes, not digitized actors/actresses, opposed to in-game graphics was ambitious at the time. Although that comes at a slow pace loading each video. You can argue the slow pace adds to the haunting atmosphere the game portrays. Short but unforgettable experience. No cheats were used.

PaTaank (パタンク) by PF Magic / 1994 on 3DO

On the surface a unique concept that may have potential to be fun. In reality a bizarre looking, boring chore of a game. Painfully average graphics, unstable frame rate, headache inducing sound effects including abrupt music changes. Actual gameplay is terribly simple complete with wonky 'pinball' physics that jerk around. Short game with similar stage layouts. Once you get passed the novel idea it becomes dull very quickly, cannot recommend.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Sword & Sorcery (ソード アンド ソーサリー) by Micro Cabin / 1995 on 3DO

It's easy to brush off the early use of 3D polygons blending with 2D sprites but this was released in 1995. It utilizes the systems strengths of texture warping, multiple camera angle choices, daytime nighttime cycle, to name a few. The battle system is to the point with your usual turn-based style although having obstacles like trees and shrubs in the way where you must plan your next move or attack.

The soundtrack is a major stand-out and high point of the game as well. Your journey begins right away and you quickly become familiar with the menus, town, map, and over world. Average story-line that progresses with the allies you meet. At times becomes predicable, and is lacking optional side missions. Majority of the caves are linear with a few routes leading to hidden treasures but nothing additional.

Overall a quaint role-playing game on your quest to aid your master and defeat Death Shadow. Save states and cheats used to allow Lucienne 999/999 HP.

Bazaru De Gozaru No Game De Gozaru (バザールでござーるのゲームでござーる) by Game Freak / 1996 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

A truly underrated timeless puzzle-strategy game. Simple yet charming gameplay of guiding your main character through obstacles in order to reach the goal.

Puyo Puyo Tsuu (ぷよぷよ通) by Compile / 1995 on Sega Saturn

Stalemate for the best port that is faithful to the arcade original.

Magical Tarurūto-kun (まじかる☆タルるートくん) by Game Freak / 1992 on Mega Drive

Fantastic 2D platformer on the short side. Beautiful graphics, large bosses, that can be finished in one play-through.

Kat's Run: Zen-Nippon K Car Senshuken (キャッツ・ラン 全日本Kカー選手権) by Varie Corporation / 1995 on Super Famicom

Another glorified kart clone this time with seamless courses after crossing the finish line. Nothing spectacular.

Puyo Puyo (ぷよぷよ) by Compile / 1992 on Mega Drive

Greatest puzzle game of all-time. Superb port from the arcade original.

Mizubaku Daibouken (ミズバク大冒険) by Taito / 1994 on PC Engine

Overlooked platformer disguised as an static arcade puzzle game.

Puyo Puyo Tsuu (ぷよぷよ通) by Compile / 1994 on Mega Drive

Follow-up to the iconic classic puzzle game. Subtle tweaks to the gameplay still very good overall.

Mizubaku Daibouken (ミズバク大冒険) by Taito / 1998 on Sega Saturn

Closer to the original arcade release with more frames of animation being a highlight.

Totsugeki Kikan (Karakuri) Megadasu!! (突撃機関!メガダす!!) by WARP / 1994 on 3DO

Easy to brush off as an un-finished tech demo compilation with previews of upcoming games- but it is complete if you give it time. Ring-out gameplay by shooting your opponent in order to stun them then rushing towards them to bump them off the stage to win. Each map has random item such as lightning, poison, kisses with unique attributes. Later levels have teleport portals to maneuver on-coming attacks. Average gameplay including 2P multiplayer mode with very solid frame-rate.

User Image

Puyo Puyo Sun (ぷよぷよSUN) by Compile / 1997 on Sega Saturn

Perhaps the greatest port of the bunch. Colorful cast of characters with addicting gameplay.

Hihou Densetsu Chris no Bouken (秘宝伝説 クリスの冒険) by Arc System Works / 1991 on PC Engine CD-ROM²

Definition of underrated! Charming action-adventure with platforming elements and quality voice acting and cut scenes.

Strahl: Seven Hidden Lights (シュトラール 秘められし七つの光) by Data East / 1994 on 3DO

5% game 95% film by Toei Animation. Despite decent quality video playback gameplay felt like a chore.

Puyo Puyo CD Tsuu (ぷよぷよCD通) by Compile / 1996 on PC Engine CD-ROM²

Although missing animation frames, with smaller sprites it holds it own albeit not nearly as good as other ports.

Kikou Keisatsu Metal Jack (機甲警察メタルジャック) by Atlus / 1992 on Super Famicom

Painfully average side scrolling action game. Mediocre gameplay, and lackluster bosses.

Puyo Puyo CD (ぷよぷよCD) by Compile / 1994 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

Compact disc audio goes to vocal sound effect samples instead of music. Sup-par port.

Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter (アンホーリー・ナイト・ザ・ダークネス・ハンター) by Foxbat / 2017 on Super Famicom

Prototype that needed much more work before being officially released. Poor gameplay, graphics, sound, music, animation and frame-rate.

Dinoforce (ダイノフォース) by Athena / 1993 on PC Engine

Below average horizontal shooter without any dinosaurs!
IGN Plus!#
hellobion
's Avatar
IGN Plus!#
Nice blog.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
Replying to hellobion
Thank you! ツ゚ I've been busy with life but am playing a few games casually plan to update soon.
5 Yrs#
stealthrush
's Avatar
5 Yrs#
User Image

Ghen War (ゲン ウォー) by Jumpin Jack Software / 1995 on Sega Saturn

Taking cues from Electronic Art's Shockwave series comes a worthwhile 3D first person shooter system exclusive action-adventure game. For an early 1995 release (North American) environments have minimal graphical pop-ins with little frame-rate slow down towards the final stages. Variety of missions from exploring large maps on the Moon and Mars to navigating corridors in Australia with the final mission taking place in NORAD.

The story progresses with live-action actors and actresses, with the opening theme a rockabilly theme song that could have been omitted. Once you get familiar with the controls, reading the on-screen map and status screen map, strafing becomes your primary way to dodge enemy attacks. A few later mission objectives are vague in order to complete them for example having to collection 20 energy cubes return them to the X icon to destruct the large boss, having to collect 2 red donut shaped energy power-ups in order to destroy generators. It doesn't help on one of the NORAD missions a graphical glitch seems to be the only way to complete the stage - by using strafe on the corner of the silo to not fall down in order to cross. Bringing the overall score down to 6 only to be brought back up for it's replay value taking several hours to complete. No cheats were used although save states were used before each mission - maximum (2) per stage.

Nexzr (ネクスザール) by Naxat / 1992 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

Absolutely stunning everything from the polished looking sprites- large bosses, and colorful cut scenes. Taking advantage of the hardware, graphically comes off marvelously particularly related to the fluidity of sprite animation despite the backgrounds having a standard space color black on majority of stages. Sound and music are average, and overall weapons are nothing to write home about. Slightly above average experience that doesn't disappointed.

ImageFight (イメージファイト) by Irem / 1990 on PC Engine

On the surface everything from the graphics, controls, and overall presentation seems to be the usually fare until you realize you not only are responsible in completing stages without losing but are responsible for hit accuracy that affects your score. If you have a poor outcome you are sent to a penalty zone in which you are greeted with a horde of over-powered enemies where you must survive in order to return to the regular game. A challenging game which I frequently re-visit with satisfying weapons, power-ups, and boss encounters.

Kiaidan 00 (キアイダン00) by Riot Alfa System / 1992 on PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM²

Large robot battles straight from a manga, anime complete with co-pilot assistance. Unique weapon options with several already default, charge shot for each allowing for a more devastating attack. You will need to use specific weapons in certain stages and bosses in order to complete them without deterrence.

Shock Wave 2: Beyond the Gate (ショックウェーブ 2: 門の向こう側) by The Advanced Technology Group / 1995 on 3DO

Versatile gameplay with a choice of three different vehicles with unique stats for each. Some missions require you to protect allies, eliminate certain structures, retrieve particular items, or blasting away all enemies on the screen. Useful start screen allowing you to choose up to three weapons for each mission from missiles, extra fuel tanks, lasers. Voice guidance on each stage helps you out by giving tips and location coordinates. Story progresses with live-action video with actors, actresses that engages the player in completing each mission. Difficulty spikes up toward the final stages, flying enemies become less visible, mission objectives become less clear. Trial and error is necessary since you have unlimited continues.

Geuk Cho Ho Kwon (극초호권) by Viccom / 1996 on 3DO

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - once you get passed that idiom is where the fun begins. Single and Team versus modes that allows you to tag your partner to battle. Each character has several normal moves, and special moves ranging from your typical fireballs, daggers, to staff magic, and back-flip attacks. You must activate scrolls in order to perform your super moves. Solid frame-rate with detailed sprites complete with good sound effects and music.

The main issue is the difficulty when it comes to the CPU, and how you must resort to spamming knockdowns in order to defeat each opponent. The first final boss took several attempts to knock-out resorting to Save State after round 1. That's not it! The true Final boss arrives which has has two forms. Without spoiling they shouldn't take nearly as long to defeat as the first final boss. Overall an average fighter to play with your friends, below-average fighter to play alone.

Demolition Man (デモリションマン) by Virgin Interactive Entertainment / 1994 on 3DO

FMV meets (minimal) gameplay. Novelty of it's time to say the least.

Armageddon (아마게돈) by LG Software / 1996 on 3DO

Has potential but plays like a in-development game. Below average incomplete game.