Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch fan made hero

Hi Polycount! This is my first post, I wanted to show you all my Overwatch hero, let me know what you think :)

She's a 15-year-old Mayan Shaman with a wingsuit, she's athletic and has a sunny personality. 
The flower motif on her wingsuit was inspired by the flower embroidery from the village of Zinacantan in southern Mexico.
Marmoset Viewer at: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XZrWD

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The way her face has been sculpted reads not as sunny, but seasoned and wise.  She also doesn't look 15 within the context of the Overwatch universe.  Why did you add a prominent nasiolabial fold to her face?

Her overall design seems to relegate all the "scifi hardsurface" elements to the wrist device thing, which is in stark contrast to all the other hero designs in the Overwatch roster.  It feels off.  Her wingsuit should also have hard surface elements like the other heroes.

There might be some promise here, but so much comes down to the design of the character as opposed to the model in this case.  There's something about the cape that does help give it a unique silhouette.  I'd argue for a redesign, though.  It is unclear how she attacks.  It is unclear what her wrist device does.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Neat idea, to add to some thing @Brian "Panda" Choi mentions, I think you have some details that aren't balanced correctly. Take a look at this image from a presentation Blizzard gave a couple of years ago:

I personally feel like you're in the "Too simple" range, I think the reason for this is that you have some large details, small details but you are lacking in the medium details which Overwatch characters are built around. I did a quick paintover to show how simple adjustments to some of the designs in her suit makes her feel more balanced:

Another issue is the design on the cape is stretching badly. To some extent, this is unavoidable, however if you where to make the polyflow work with the design a little more it may be less obvious. If you have an edge loop going down the center of the designs and then in-between each "peak" it could be more friendly for stretching. You may need a few more for good measure but I think it could help that area a ton.

Hope this helps!
  • RakelFlowers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way her face has been sculpted reads not as sunny, but seasoned and wise.  She also doesn't look 15 within the context of the Overwatch universe.  Why did you add a prominent nasiolabial fold to her face?

Her overall design seems to relegate all the "scifi hardsurface" elements to the wrist device thing, which is in stark contrast to all the other hero designs in the Overwatch roster.  It feels off.  Her wingsuit should also have hard surface elements like the other heroes.

There might be some promise here, but so much comes down to the design of the character as opposed to the model in this case.  There's something about the cape that does help give it a unique silhouette.  I'd argue for a redesign, though.  It is unclear how she attacks.  It is unclear what her wrist device does.

Yeah, overall, I think I went too realistic with her, the face should've been more stylized for sure.
    I also agree that the design could be better, I'm no designer xD but I had to do my own design since this is part of my thesis project.
    She's meant to be a support character, and she also has a bird drone, which tests on her gauntlet to charge. :) The bird will be coming next.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    OH, this is homework/class project.

I heavvily recommend redesigning it when you have the chance.  There has been a historic thread with a lot of 3D game art, especially in Polycount, where for whatever reason, class work does not end up being good portfolio work in the given allotted time for many students.  It's the ones that take more time outside of class to polish it to their best that stand out.
  • RakelFlowers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja said:
    Neat idea, to add to some thing @Brian "Panda" Choi mentions, I think you have some details that aren't balanced correctly. Take a look at this image from a presentation Blizzard gave a couple of years ago:

I personally feel like you're in the "Too simple" range, I think the reason for this is that you have some large details, small details but you are lacking in the medium details which Overwatch characters are built around. I did a quick paintover to show how simple adjustments to some of the designs in her suit makes her feel more balanced:

Another issue is the design on the cape is stretching badly. To some extent, this is unavoidable, however if you where to make the polyflow work with the design a little more it may be less obvious. If you have an edge loop going down the center of the designs and then in-between each "peak" it could be more friendly for stretching. You may need a few more for good measure but I think it could help that area a ton.

Hope this helps!
    Oh yeah, this actually helps a lot! Thank you! 
    And yeah, for sure the design needs work, i struggled with the details part, actually. I This is my first time doing hard surfaces sci fi stuff and I was like: what even are panels and how do we make stuff even work? Lol
    But everything you pointed out was super helpful, thanks! :D
    I'll try to take care of the detail level for my male overwatch hero, which I'm working on now :)