• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiga CD32 Memories

Krejlooc

Banned
27la6li.jpg

Anybody have one of these? One of the coolest systems of that era IMO. All the fun of an Amiga 1200 in a nice, console-shaped package. I have a tricked out model with an SX-1 expansion installed, 2mb fast ram, a CF-IDE kit installed, plus a Gotek Floppy Drive emulator, along with a PS/2->Amiga mouse converter and PS/2->A4000 keyboard converter. I also have two competition pro CD32 pads:

GZWPQP7.jpg

I have some great games for my CD32, like:

VXTtIJN.jpg

Fightin' Spirit

1OssPfd.jpg

Shadow Fighter (1 button fighting game!)

0MQQEIL.jpg

Flink

5pN47kr.jpg

The Lost Vikings

gnDQSjn.png

Marvin's Marvelous Adventure

y6SJgwS.png

Lotus Trilogy

syL0Klj.png

Zool 2

et6KONq.png

Fire & Ice

mOYJvvz.png

Beneath a Steel Sky

wSAFfNd.jpg

Chuck Rock 2

Jungle_Strike_screen.png

Jungle strike

I also have the hyper rare, ultra obscure, and extremely terrible Super Street Fighter II Turbo port:

8totRG5.jpg

Most say the 3DO was the only system to get a home port of SSF2T, but the CD32 got one as well... and it really sucked.

What is interesting about the above games is how they would sometimes be slightly changed. Zool 2, for example, has an entirely new level and Fire & Ice features new backgrounds.

The CD32 died within months and took Commodore with it. It only launched in Europe officially, although a few NTSC units have surfaced since then. It apparently stormed out of the gate but couldn't maintain. Anybody else have some memories of this thing?

My single biggest gaming waste of money.

I really thought it was the future. That was a Pachter of a prediction on my part.

Krejlooc

Banned
My single biggest gaming waste of money.

I really thought it was the future. That was a Pachter of a prediction on my part.

It is a great way to get into Amiga gaming today, however. Mainly because CDs are holding up better these days than floppies.

Of course, you can buy a CF->IDE kit or a gotek floppy drive emulator and that point is moot.

Despite being an enormous flop, the CD32 is technically home to so many great games just because it can play the entire amiga library (provided you shell out for the SX-1 expansion)

Handy Fake

Have to say, it was one of the few Commodore related machines I was never really interested in, looked like a white elephant even to the stupid child I was.

For some reason though I was extremely interested in the SAM Coupé.

Piccoro

It is a great way to get into Amiga gaming today, however. Mainly because CDs are holding up better these days than floppies.

Of course, you can buy a CF->IDE kit or a gotek floppy drive emulator and that point is moot.

Despite being an enormous flop, the CD32 is technically home to so many great games just because it can play the entire amiga library (provided you shell out for the SX-1 expansion)

So the CD32 was backward compatible with Amiga 500 software?

BibiMaghoo

I had one. It was cool. For some reason it was supposed to come with Microcosm but didn't. I forget why, but sure I got something else instead. The controller was, and still is, fucking hideous though :D.

Cannon Fodder for life. I would play that still. Why is there not a recent CF game? I demand action Gaf.

Lijik

Has the best version of Zool imo. Only real downside is it doesnt have the iconic theme, but I really dug the new music otherwise. My understanding is its the first game where the entire soundtrack was off the cd (while earlier cd music games had a few midi tracks here and there like Sonic CD)

Krejlooc

Banned
So the CD32 was backward compatible with Amiga 500 software?

The A1200 in general has spotty backwards compatibility with the A500 normally, but over the years patches for many disk games and things like WHDLoad(32) have fixed almost all the compatibility problems. A good 95% of all amiga games will work one way or another. You might have to do some stuff like booting into OCS mode, but I haven't run into a single game I can't play on my CD32, and I have a lot of Amiga titles.

Now, where the CD32 has problems is if you use the much cheaper floppy drive, this model:

1hSqJP3.jpg

the reason being that this drive requires drivers which takes up a tiiiiiiny amount of ram, but just enough so that games which use up the full stock default ram can't run. An SX-1 expansion properly fixes this.

Krejlooc

Banned
I had one. It was cool. For some reason it was supposed to come with Microcosm but didn't. I forget why, but sure I got something else instead. The controller was, and still is, fucking hideous though :D.

Did yours come with Oscar and/or Dangerous Streets? Or perhaps Liberation?

Cannon Fodder for life. I would play that still. Why is there not a recent CF game? I demand action Gaf.

There WAS a recent cannon fodder game, in 2012. It is terrible.

Wow, i didn't know that ST was released on CD32... i'm on YouTube right now and it looks like shit.

As someone from South America for me the only way to know the existence of "Amiga" computers and CD32 was from Spanish videogame magazines. I was always interested because of the crisp graphics in the screenshots.

Krejlooc

Banned
Has the best version of Zool imo. Only real downside is it doesnt have the iconic theme, but I really dug the new music otherwise. My understanding is its the first game where the entire soundtrack was off the cd (while earlier cd music games had a few midi tracks here and there like Sonic CD)

I don't really like any version of Zool 1, but the CD32 version of Zool 2 is great. One of my favorite games on the system by far. I also have the normal A500 version and the Jaguar port, but the CD32 version remains my favorite.

Wow, i didn't know that ST was released on CD32... i'm on YouTube right now and it looks like shit.

As someone from South America for me the only way to know the existence of "Amiga" computers and CD32 was from Spanish videogame magazines. I was always interested because of the crisp graphics in the screenshots.

So in addition to running at like 10 FPS, the controls are fucked. It uses the 6-button CD32 pad, but the button configuration is wrong. Since the controller is shaped kinda like an SNES pad, you'd figure it'd be set up the same way. So, looking at the picture, you expect L to be weak punch, green to be medium, and yellow to be hard, and so forth. Instead, the buttons are arranged vertically - red is weak punch, green is medium, and L is hard punch (and similar for the kicks).

WTF?

Looks great in still shots, though, and the intro is faithfully recreated. The uglier SSF2 A500 port is much better to play, even if it looks worse than the genesis version.

nkarafo

Of the games you showed, the most beautiful looking is Flink and that looks the same as the Genesis version.

Was there any game to justify its "32 bits" and AGA chipset?

nkarafo

The m68k has a 32 bit instruction length, word size, and bus. Dint know how you could imply it's not 32-bit, nor how you'd be able to tell just by looking as screenshots.
Isn't the CD 32 a consolized version of the Amiga 1200? Featuring a 68020 (not a 68000) and an AGA chipset?

I didn't say its not 32 bit, i asked if there is any game that actually makes use of the hardware and doesn't look just like an Amiga 500/Genesis game, like those screenshots.

Oppo

didn't have a CD32 but I did have a CDTV, A500 and A1200 at one point. loved the Amiga.

Mr Ed

Banned
Never had a CD32 as it wasn't really available in my country. But piracy was so huge that most CD32 version games eventually got a cracked A1200 version. So i didn't miss much.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sprites size in ST are enough "32-bit" for me, too bad it was a bad port, who made it Krejlooc?

Gametek produced and published it, and it was developed by human soft. It really has to be played to understand why it's such a terrible port. Funny enough, it runs faster depending on how much fast ram or what type of processor you have - get it going on a 50 mhz 060 in a desktop a1200 and it runs at a reasonable speed, except it's still missing a good 75 percent of the animation. Ryu's jump flip is like 2 frames!

It's also not that noticeable in videos, but there is a huge input delay on top of everything else.

Real shame because it's a looker. Fighting spirits or shadow fighter gets my nod as the two best amiga fighters imo.

vio

Weak hardware, especially considering SNES was already out for long time and PS1 released in `94 in Japan. Commodore lol.. I did love my Amiga1200 and C64, great times!

jeremy1456

I have been trying to track down one of these for a while now.

Would definitely love to try it. The Canadian version is so rare though.

Occam

I own one, but wouldn't recommed it to anyone but collectors.
An Amiga 1200 with CF-PCMCIA, Blizzard 1230 IV, RAM upgrade and WHDload is so much better.

Krejlooc

Banned
Today, there is a movement to port as many amiga 500 and 1200 games into self booting cd32 titles as possible. Places like rgcd offer things like shadow of the beast trilogy or turrican trilogy. The amiga cd32 bundle of "rtypes" - rtype 1 and 2 on one disc, is in particular well done.

I did the golden axe port myself. It now supports extra buttons on the cd32 pad. I was working on a pc kid (bonk) port as well but it hangs after the 4th or so level.

petran79

Banned
I remember the Amiga systems were much more attractive computers compared to Macintoshes and IBM PC clones up to the mid-90s. No one could have predicted the demise of the company back then

Also I heard good reviews about Shadow Fighter as one of the best 2d fighting games back then and the CD32 version had CD music too.

Superfrog

I used to be a die-hard Amiga fan in the early to mid-90s. I had an A500 and later an upgraded A1200, but never a CD32. Eventually sold everything (includung 50+ boxed games) and of course regretted it shortly after.

Years later I bought a CD32 because it's the least painful and most convenient way of playing non-emulated Amiga games. No worries with crappy old 3.5" floppies, it's CDs all the way!

Nowadays I have two CD32s (a German unit and a French unit with an RGB-enabled 8-pin mini DIN port instead of the regular s-video out), two Honey Bee pads, numerous Competition Pro joysticks, and two Amiga mice. I also just bought a used Panasonic 4:3 LCD TV in great condition for €40. Image is good, but I might end up buying a proper CD32 scandoubler/flicker fixer at some point. They're quite expensive, though.

In terms of games I have around 20 boxed CD32 titles and the rest on several of those fantastic homebrew compilations.

Krejlooc

Banned
I remember the Amiga systems were much more attractive computers compared to Macintoshes and IBM PC clones up to the mid-90s. No one could have predicted the demise of the company back then

Also I heard good reviews about Shadow Fighter as one of the best 2d fighting games back then and the CD32 version had CD music too.

It has surprising depth. Despite being a 1 button fighting game, it feels like you have the full array of street fighter basic moves, plus special moves. Fightin spirits is prettier and perhaps more palpable because it's modeled after street fighter and fatal fury, but shadow fighters is unique and great in its own way.

The closest comparison would be the body blows series, but all of those move too slow and stiffly for my liking. Shadow fighters moves briskly.

BibiMaghoo

Did yours come with Oscar and/or Dangerous Streets? Or perhaps Liberation?

There WAS a recent cannon fodder game, in 2012. It is terrible.

Liberation is the only one that rings a bell, so possibly that. I don't recall ever playing or owning the others. I just googled that new Cannon Fodder. I think I'll stick with the old one after all.

Edit: My old man will know which game it was, I'll ask him.

Superfrog

Today, there is a movement to port as many amiga 500 and 1200 games into self booting cd32 titles as possible. Places like rgcd offer things like shadow of the beast trilogy or turrican trilogy. The amiga cd32 bundle of "rtypes" - rtype 1 and 2 on one disc, is in particular well done.

I did the golden axe port myself. It now supports extra buttons on the cd32 pad. I was working on a pc kid (bonk) port as well but it hangs after the 4th or so level.
Those "re-releases" are fantastic, people even include mods, custom intro movies and stuff like that. It's absolutely amazing that the scene is still alive and kicking!

Krejlooc

Banned
Just noticed Beneath a Steel Sky there.

Tremendous game.

I've got the full big box, mint. Both floppy and cd32 versions. It comes on like 20 floppies!

I also have xcom, both floppy and cd32. The cd32 version is a huge improvement because you don't need to change 10 flopies every few seconds.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I had a CD32. The controller was the worst thing I had ever used in my life. The console itself was good. The game Whales Voyage was awesome, as was Zool. There was a FMV based tunnel shooter that I enjoyed but can't remember the name.

Edit: Zool, bloody autocorrect.

baphomet

I really need to pick one of these up soon.

It is a fucking sexy machine though. And as terrible as the controllers are, they look awesome.

Krejlooc

Banned
I used to be a die-hard Amiga fan in the early to mid-90s. I had an A500 and later an upgraded A1200, but never a CD32. Eventually sold everything (includung 50+ boxed games) and of course regretted it shortly after.

Years later I bought a CD32 because it's the least painful and most convenient way of playing non-emulated Amiga games. No worries with crappy old 3.5" floppies, it's CDs all the way!

Nowadays I have two CD32s (a German unit and a French unit with an RGB-enabled 8-pin mini DIN port instead of the regular s-video out), two Honey Bee pads, numerous Competition Pro joysticks, and two Amiga mice. I also just bought a used Panasonic 4:3 LCD TV in great condition for €40. Image is good, but I might end up buying a proper CD32 scandoubler/flicker fixer at some point. They're quite expensive, though.

In terms of games I have around 20 boxed CD32 titles and the rest on several of those fantastic homebrew compilations.

I keep a souped up a1200 for my scan doubler. Got a blizard 060 inside at 50 mhz, running wbclassic.

I should also note I live in the us. All my systems are pal. I use an atlona cdm 660m to convert pal-> ntsc svideo from the cd32. Obviously with a scan doubler in the a1200, outputting to a monitor is no problem.

Dunno about that, the two earliest CD games I played (Wonder Boy III and Fighting Street) had nothing but a CD soundtrack iirc.

Krejlooc

Banned
I had a CD32. The controller was the worst thing I had ever used in my life. The console itself was good. The game Whales Voyage was awesome, as was Zool. There was a FMV based tunnel shooter that I enjoyed but can't remember the name.

Edit: Zool, bloody autocorrect.

The stock cd32 pad is indeed awful. It's like as big and flat as a dvd cover, and super flimsy. The competition pro cd32 pads, out honey bee controllers as they're sometimes called, are way better.

The game you were thinking of is probably microcosm.

baphomet

I keep a souped up a1200 for my scan doubler. Got a blizard 060 inside at 50 mhz, running wbclassic.

I should also note I live in the us. All my systems are pal. I use an atlona cdm 660m to convert pal-> ntsc svideo from the cd32. Obviously with a scan doubler in the a1200, outputting to a monitor is no problem.

That's exactly what I was about to ask. So after the initial purchase of a pal cd32, what would I be looking at to get a good NTSC video signal out of it?

Krejlooc

Banned
Amiga bring you the mother?

The uk has weird rules on plurals regarding groups. Bands, for example, are referred to using plurals. "The who are a great band" instead of "the who is a great band."

In this case, amiga is treated like a group. Hence bring, instead of brings.

I know, it's weird coming from the us.

Flappy

Banned
It was a sexy looking console let down by really cheap build quality and plastics.

I quite like the pad though.

Superfrog

Yeah, the Honey Bee/Competition Pro controllers are the best. The original controller is indeed probably the worst official peripheral ever.

Here's a better image of a Honey Bee:

img_5899_7mun2.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
That's exactly what I was about to ask. So after the initial purchase of a pal cd32, what would I be looking at to get a good NTSC video signal out of it?

Your options are either an indivision scan doubler which you would output to a modern tv or monitor (dvi or vga) or a pal -> ntsc converter. I went through so many converters before I found that atlona cdm that works. Most will either accept an interlaced or non interlaced image, not both, and few converters advertise that. The cdm can handle both interlaced and non interlaced images. The cd32 boot screen, as an example, is non interlaced, where some games are interlaced.

I can notice some studdering from the pal->ntsc pulldown, particularly when the screen scrolls, but I have to be looking for it and it doesn't ruin the experience. The actual video output of the cdm 660 is great and no input lag.

Krejlooc

Banned
So ice to see this great game get some recognition on GAF. Big fan of the Amiga 500 version.

I recently picked up the rare Master System version from Brazil:

Wp6962q.jpg

Which is fun because it's almost like a mini-sequel in that it features entirely new level layouts. Nothing from the original is retained besides level themes and (obviously scaled back) graphics.

Oh, I forgot another game I converted to CD32 - Toki. I was a huge fan of the genesis version, but had no idea how much it deviated from the arcade original. The Amiga port of Toki is very faithful to the arcade version, so when I finally got a chance to play it, it was awesome because it was like an entirely different game.

I needed a trainer to beat it, though, haha. Really good port, though.

Krejlooc

Banned
The advert boasts "State-of-the-art technology" but it was painfully evident, even with the Amiga 1200, that Commodore was living on past glories.

To be fair, in 1993, CD-rom based gaming was pretty state of the art, as was the hardware chunky to planar converter.

Ignoring the FM Towns Marty, the CD32 was the first western console to rely entirely on CD roms.

Firebrand

I own one game for my brother's CD32, Bubba'n'Stix. I couldn't beat the second level. :(

My favorite game on the system would be Pinball Fantasies, and then Pirates! Gold I think. Shame P!G ate up nearly all of the built-in save blocks.

Top Bottom