• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did any system ever have a better pack-in than the US Turbo Duo?

I actually have the Atari ST power pack and it IS amazing. Congrats on having an OP that had Bombuzal in it, unbelievably good game.

Nairume

Banned
If you really want to go for quantity AND diversity, it's honestly hard to top this

kPjuFTf.jpg

Gears Ultimate (thus Gears 1, 2, 3, and Judgement if you got it during the Gears promotion), Ori and the Blind Forest, and Rare Replay (already 30 games on its own)

AmyS

Custom Cover.

BOwuYyd.jpg

I just bought Gate of Thunder & Lords of Thunder on Wii Virtual Console on Saturday night.

I had played some of the way through Gate of Thunder back 1993 or 1994, after the TurboDuo was released in the U.S. and bought mine. It was pretty damn awesome. However I never bought Lord of Thunder, so last night was my first time playing it. Incredible game given the hardware.

Guys, I cannot help wonder what Hudson Soft (and Red) would've managed had they created direct sequels to both games. Imagine if, instead of using the PC-Engine + Super CD-ROM² format again, they used the more powerful SuperGrafx base machine, combined with the Arcade Card format. I know I'm purposely excluding the PC-FX here.

Anyway, with the SuperGrafx as a base, it afforded modest upgrades.

*Work RAM: 32K (instead of 8K)
*VRAM: 128K (instead of 64K)
*Max sprites: 128 vs 64
*Hardware background layers: 2 vs 1

The Arcade CD card added a further 2048 kB RAM cache. (aka 16 megabits for a total of 18 megs. What do you think?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Guys, I cannot help wonder what Hudson Soft (and Red) would've managed had they created direct sequels to both games. Imagine if, instead of using the PC-Engine + Super CD-ROM² format again, they used the more powerful SuperGrafx base machine, combined with the Arcade Card format. I know I'm purposely excluding the PC-FX here.

Anyway, with the SuperGrafx as a base, it afforded modest upgrades.

*Work RAM: 32K (instead of 8K)
*VRAM: 128K (instead of 64K)
*Max sprites: 128 vs 64
*Hardware background layers: 2 vs 1

The Arcade CD card added a further 2048 kB RAM cache. (aka 16 megabits for a total of 18 megs. What do you think?

I think it would have only been played by the only 200 people who had a SuperGrafx.

manzo

I think it would have only been played by the only 200 people who had a SuperGrafx.

For some reason this just hit me. The SuperGrafx was basically PS4 Pro back then. The biggest hindrance for both were that they used their original versions' processors. The SGX was a nice, modest upgrade, but the original slow HuC processor made most of the upgrades moot.

Some of the Sega bundles were arguably comparable, but the US Turbo Duo bundle is definitely up there and I'm pretty sure it was a launch thing.

AmyS

For some reason this just hit me. The SuperGrafx was basically PS4 Pro back then. The biggest hindrance for bith were that they used their original versions' processors. The SGX was a nice, modest upgrade, but the original slow HuC processor made most of the upgrades moot.

Yes indeed it was.

You're also right about the modest upgrades and the original processor being a hindrance.
I guess that can also be said about the PS4 Pro CPU, although unlike the SuperGrafx which had the same CPU clockspeed, the Pro's CPU is clocked higher.

For those that have not seen these, here are some homebrew SuperGrafx demos, both horizontal shmups. These were not even unfinished commercial products that got canceled from the early-mid 90s but much more recent homebrews.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQaUNabRiy8
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj0vkSPg20E

Nice parallax.

I'm just assuming of course this stuff was made within the real limitations of the SGX hardware.

Edit: And obviously, even the base PC-Engine is capable of good parallax, as seen in certain games. Like Dead Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzMKgbTS2Y

No SuperGrafx here, no extra CD memory either.

Spriggan Mark II is another good one, though its a SCD game. https://youtu.be/bPNM_tnIjZg?t=7m36s

jobrro

If you really want to go for quantity AND diversity, it's honestly hard to top this

kPjuFTf.jpg

Gears Ultimate (thus Gears 1, 2, 3, and Judgement if you got it during the Gears promotion), Ori and the Blind Forest, and Rare Replay (already 30 games on its own)

Was reading this thread and saw the NES mini stuff and immediately thought of Rare Replay but didn't know it was bundled. That bundle comes with Rare Replay and much more. I think it wins for sure.

When did they start packing Ninja Spirit with the Turbo Duo? That's an awesome game. At launch the Duo came with Dungeon Explorer as its game-card game, which was a fun Gauntlet clone.

For folks saying it sounds desperate to pack all that in, there were reasons. First off, Bomberman wasn't officially part of the pack-in games; it was a secret Easter egg on the Super CD and the publisher TTI may not have known about it. Second, they included one of each type of game media the device supported: CD, Super CD, game card. Third, the device was expensive as hell and competing with the Sega CD, so they needed to show value for it. The CD game, Ys Books 1&2, was the most popular CD game on Turbografx at the time, and a great game to show the potential with its amazing CD soundtrack, voice acting, and cartoon cutscenes. The SuperCD was the one TTI had made for the Turbo Duo; Bonk was the system mascot so of course his two games got on there, and Gate of Thunder was the packin that actually took advantage of the Super CD format so was there to show that off.

AmyS

It almost seems like TTI kept adding more pack-in games. I don't remember Ninja Spirit being included in my Turbo Duo, which I bought at Babbage's.

Oh hello nevermind, wikipedia entry:

TTI released the TurboDuo to consumers in North America in October 1992, at a retail price of US$299.99. The price was, in part, a consequence of the relatively high cost of CD-ROM drive manufacturing.

Since TTI understood that the price was too high for many people in their target market, they included a booklet of coupons for TurboDuo games and accessories, plus several pack-in games on two CD-ROMs: Ys Book I & II (1990) and a Super CD compilation of four of Hudson Soft's more popular TurboGrafx-16 titles: Bonk's Adventure (1989), Bonk's Revenge (1991), Gate of Thunder (1992), and Bomberman (1983). (Bomberman was hidden in an Easter egg.) The package also included one TurboChip game: Dungeon Explorer (Hudson Soft 1989). Later, TTI replaced Dungeon Explorer with one of a variety of TurboChip titles, such as Ninja Spirit (Irem 1988) and Final Lap Twin (Namco 1989).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboDuo

Mine came with Dungeon Explorer.

cantona222

Please provide a picture of the Turbo Duo package or ad that mentions the bundled games. I am really interested.

I agree with you banned OP, the bundle is great.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought my Duo used off Ebay in 2005, and the seller shipped it with the Gate of Thunder/Bonk CD... had no idea that Ys was also bundled with the system and either Ninja Spirit or Dungeon Explorer! That's one helluva lineup.

AmyS

My first two import games ever were Street Fighter II CE on HuCard and Neo Nectaris (would have been Military Madness 2 if released here) on Super CD. Got these both in late 1994.

SFIICE was a no-brainer, 20 meg of PCE-awesome. I think the largest HuCard ever.

But Neo Nectaris I wasn't sure of. It took a great article to convince me to get it, cause I was worried about not understanding the commands & units. EGM² issue #4 Oct. '94 had a two-page spread on Neo Nectaris and for the life of me, I cannot find scans of it anywhere.

note: I fixed the image for the 3rd PCE Duo article.

Top Bottom