• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Demo Sampler Discs/Cartridges/CD-Roms

Well GAF it's time for my first thread. Did not expect it to be on this but hey why not.

So I was working at my desk in my room when I decided to play some DVD's to distract myself with. My PS3 stays in the den so my only option was to either play on my laptop or on my PS2. I chose my PS2. I turned it on and after taking FFXII (the main reason I still have a PS2) out and putting it in its case I left it sitting on the browser.

So i was fumbling through my shelf to get something to watch when i moved a stack of PS1 games I haven't touched in a long time. Now I'm already in a nostalgic mood from watching Based Bosman and that giveaway from Ramuh earlier in the "Free To A Good Home" thread so I pause for moment to see what I had. Klonoa, Legaia, Wild Arms 2, Crash 2, Crash 3, Interactive CD Sampler Disc Volume 4....................Nostalgia overload! (Seeing my Monster Hunter Tri Demo Disc and my Holiday 2005 Demo Disc for PS2 and my Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt
empty :(
case didn't help at all).

Needless to say i popped this sucker in immediately. This demo disc came with my PS1 so obviously it was a cherished memento to my childhood. The background music was godly and the demo selection was just mouthwatering. Parappa the Rapper, Armored Core, Croc, Raystorm, Steel Reign, Intelligent Cube, Ace Combat 2 + others. This thing D-E-L-I-V-E-R-E-D! I always kept it. At one point i thought it stopped working and I left it in crate-o-games at the time. Decided to clean it off years later and it was good as new.

So before I even load it up on the PS2 from the browser screen I was surprised to see that it had 2 audio tracks on the disc. GAF I wasn't ready. A demo disc from 1997 is STILL delivering!
EDIT: While typing this up the disc started playing trailers for each game. Didn't even know it did that smh!!!

This got me thinking about the best demo disc/carts/cd-roms around. Many of the ones I cherished have been lost in the sands of time so I'm proud to have held onto this Sampler so long. I had a Dreamcast demo sampler that had a demo of DOA2 on it which I played constantly (it was green if memory serves me correct). Also there was a PC demo disc I had that came with both Tomb Raider and FFVII PC demo's which I played the heck out of too (wonder if i can find those again somewhere).

I know I can't be alone in this. Anyone else have favorite demo sampler's they cherish???

Pic of said Sampler(s):
6320-2007.jpg

51nEqnnuyUL._SX300_.jpg

DREAMCAST-GAME-Generator%20Volume%202%20(demo%20disc).JPG

Want this again badly!

Rubixcuba

Banned
Sample demo disks that came with gaming mags and consoles were amazing, would end up playing respective demos for hours on end.

fleck0

I got many many hours of free entertainment from PC Gamer, but the first classic games collection blew my mind.

V4jDBlp.jpg

Plus... the Daikatana demo!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember having the Dreamcast sampler disc mentioned in the OP. Also, this was awesome to me because the idea of having demos at HOME was a new concept to me back then, considering I mostly played the store kiosks (& I didn't have a PS2/Xbox at the time so no magazine demo discs):

2e_33290_0_NintendoGameCubePreviewDisk.jpg

I don't know how many times I replayed the Viewtiful Joe & Billy Hatcher demos. I also remember the one that came with early copies of MK Double Dash. I also have one for Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 3 that includes the original first arcade game.

Duster

Demo 42 from the official UK playstation magazine, just providing my first experience of Metal Gear Solid would have made it one of my favourites but it also contained a Net Yaroze compilation, I still have it on hand today in case I fancy a game of Super Bub.

Magnus

The Playstation Underground (URNOT E) disc that had the playable FFVII demo on it. Fuck did that thing ever get worn out. :)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Also, this was awesome to me because the idea of having demos at HOME was a new concept to me back then, considering I mostly played the store kiosks (& I didn't have a PS2/Xbox at the time so no magazine demo discs):

I don't know how many times I replayed the Viewtiful Joe & Billy Hatcher demos.

I still have this lying around somewhere. So good.

120v

i found it mindblowing as a kid when magazines came with game demos. gaming on CD was truly a revelation

i still have a klonoa demo ... played it on the reg for about five years. and never played the full game :p

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
That orange PSX demo disc that had Crash Bandicoot 2 with the Snow Go level..Intelligence Qube..Croc..2Xtreme..I think Metal Gear Solid...Parappa the Rappa...Jet Moto...I vaguely remember if these are even the right games on the disc but I fondly remember Crash being there cause I played the hell outta it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
PS Underground Jampack Summer 2000, because it had a demo of Ore no Ryouri on it, which got me to fall in love with the game.

552e793509a0355844562110.L.jpg

I remember having the Dreamcast sampler disc mentioned in the OP. Also, this was awesome to me because the idea of having demos at HOME was a new concept to me back then, considering I mostly played the store kiosks (& I didn't have a PS2/Xbox at the time so no magazine demo discs):

I don't know how many times I replayed the Viewtiful Joe & Billy Hatcher demos. I also remember the one that came with early copies of MK Double Dash. I also have one for Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 3 that includes the original first arcade game.

Yup, still have this bad boy. I must have played the VJ and SCII demo a million times.

Oh man. Has to be Official Dreamcast Magazine for me. The Dead Or Alive 2 demo kept me busy for a long time. LOVED getting them in the mail. Wish there was a Shenmue demo but I believe they just had a video or something.

2nd favorite had to be Next Generation magazine for PC.

oh man, I still have most of the old PlayStation magazine demo discs. I think I played them as much as some of my retail games. Maybe I'll post a picture later.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The one with the Sonic Heroes demo and the exclusive downloadable Fire Emblem 7 items (not a demo), was it not?
Yeah, it also had demos for Mario Party 5 & freakin' F-Zero GX. Also TMNT & Rouge Squadron 3. A shame I don't have it anymore. I remember I was getting Double Dash for Xmas & my mom was nice enough to let me play the demo disc while I waited to get DD.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I got many many hours of free entertainment from PC Gamer, but the first classic games collection blew my mind.

V4jDBlp.jpg

Yep, I had that one. Was pretty incredible, especially as a kid who had no money.

This was probably the best PS1 demo disc:

medium.JPG

While I'd played the MGS1 demo on the OPM demo disc already, this had an extended demo that went up until you meet the DARPA chief. And it had Crash Bandicoot Warped's demo. Rad.

I also feel it's worth mentioning:

916562_48027_front.jpg

While I bought a Dreamcast for Soul Calibur, this disc had me really excited about the system's future. There were so many cool games on there. Power Stone, House of the Dead 2, Sonic Adventure -- I wasted a lotta time on this thing.

DryvBy

V4jDBlp.jpg

Man, that is a classic disc. Mine is the one with the original Halo gameplay video when it was a PC exclusive. Good times!

I can't remember what demo disc it was on but it was for the PS1, and it had Intelligent Qube as one of the games, along with some other great games... it could of been Playstation Underground or PSM demo disc... but just looking for that demo disc on google, I found I.Q. on amazon for $249.99... 249.99!!!

Intelligent Qube for $249.99

Fuck... Why must my childhood memories be pilfered by people who have hearts filled with greed??? :(

DSCF3211.jpg

DSCF3210.jpg

Not a demo disc but i searched my room and found this too. I only have the disc, not the OG sleeve. Had that SSX Tricky trailer on it!

demo3e2ym2.jpg

I played with that T-Rex more than Rayman and Battle Arena Toshinden.

OMG OMG OMG... YOU have no idea how long I've been looking for this thing!!!! I had no idea what the name was and what disc it was on. I was at my friends house when he showed me this demo and it blew me away. Such great times...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've got that GCN thing as well, sleeve included. I also got the Metroid Prime 2 demo disc as well. Think I got it either from Nintendo Power or they sent it to me for registering enough games.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
$T2eC16JHJIMFHJQK4R9sBSP0Gr5p6!~~60_12.JPG

I still own this disc, it's my favourite because it introduced me to Metal Gear Solid and it also has a large Net Yaroze collection on it.

Dreamcast was back when I was most into gaming so naturally I loved the ODCM discs. I spent a lot of time with the ChuChu Rocket! demo so I could be good against people online when the full game hit. I also found it very cool how 4x4 Evolution had an online demo. A lot of my pals on a DC message board would get on and use it mostly as a visual chat lobby and just screw around on the maps, which was just as well since the game wasn't terribly great.

+1 Pizza Hut demo sampler with Metal Gear Solid on it. I was very stingy with my allowance back then. I didn't buy the full game for a while even though the demo blew me away :x

A friend and I played the OPM demo disc with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on it quite a bit. We were like, wow this game is going to be awesome. Where'd this game come from?

I can't remember what demo disc it was on but it was for the PS1, and it had Intelligent Qube as one of the games, along with some other great games... it could of been Playstation Underground or PSM demo disc... but just looking for that demo disc on google, I found I.Q. on amazon for $249.99... 249.99!!!

Intelligent Qube for $249.99

Fuck... Why must my childhood memories be pilfered by people who have hearts filled with greed??? :(

Used copies from 44.99, man. I doubt there are too many unopened copies of IQ floating around.

I remember a disc that had the Metal Gear Solid and Soul Reaver demos on it.

I played the shit out of the Outcast demo I got from PCGamer (or CGW)

maxcriden

There was an OPM demo disc with Spy Hunter on it and a bunch of other good demos. I don't remember all of the other games on it I just remember it was a really good one. I want to say War of the Monsters wasn't on it, but that one was a great demo as well. I think this disc had maybe Ico, maybe Maximo on it as well? I want to say there was also a good demo disc with Rygar on it. I also eBayed a bunch of E3 stuff one year and got demos of Sly Cooper and one other game which is escaping me at the moment. At the time it was super cool to get to play that demo in particular.

Fonz72

The two most played discs on my PS1 excluding Gran Turismo 2 and Soviet Strike.

Demo-PS-1-Pizza-Hut-Disc-1.jpg

6316-2010.jpg

Played Einhander and Hot Shots Golf for hours and hours!

Tony Hawk blew me away with how fluid the controls felt........but man that Goldfinger song got old!

Used copies from 44.99, man. I doubt there are too many unopened copies of IQ floating around.

You know, after looking at that price I didn't even bother looking at anything else on that page... so good point, but still that's quite the price for a copy of that game, even if its unopened.

Top Bottom