• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there been a good track&field or olympics game?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lillehammer 1994 for SNES.

sure it's winter olympic games, but it's the best i tell you, the BEST!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Summer/Winter/California Games, on C64, NES, etc, by EPYX were fun... Track and Field 2 was pretty cool too.

How is that Athens 2004 game? My g/f is interested in picking it up but doesn't really know too much about it.

DopeyFish

djtiesto said:
Summer/Winter/California Games, on C64, NES, etc, by EPYX were fun... Track and Field 2 was pretty cool too.

How is that Athens 2004 game? My g/f is interested in picking it up but doesn't really know too much about it.

it only has 7 events, 7! like wtf.

LakeEarth

hypr0011.png

WINNER

Honorable mention to...

decathlo.gif

decathlon.gif

For the colecovision, the first real good track game I played.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hyper Sports/Track and Field and the Epyx Games series were excellent.
And Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely the Epyx titles.

Pretty much my first experience of drunken multiplayer gaming with friends was to Epyx's titles on the C64.

If you like Track and Field for the Arcade/NES, then you may want to check out the PlayStation version. I had a whole hell of a lot of fun with that one. There's also a sequel on PlayStation, but I don't know if that's as good.

The best winter olympics game is Winter Heat for Saturn, bar none. I love it. EGM gave it game of the month. Lillehammer 1994 is also good fun as DopeyFish said.

Decathlete is pretty good, but Winter Heat kicks its ass, and for a summer olympics game I think PS1 Track and Field is better than Decathlete.

I still need to play the summer and winter olympic games Konami's put on PS2.

Avoid Sydney 2000 like the plague.

Haha, I remember Sydney 2000 for PC. Awful. I reviewed it for GA, got an e-mail from their PR:

" :( "

That was their whole e-mail hahaha.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
DopeyFish said:
it only has 7 events, 7! like wtf.
I know you've got some pent up hate with Sony. However, saying that there's only 7 events is not only wrong, but way off. There are over 20 events in Athens 2004. They include:
Shot put
Discus
Javelin
Long jump
Triple jump
High jump
Pole vault
100m
200m
400m
800m
1500m
hurdles
heptathlon
decathlon
100m freestyle
100m butterfly
100m backstroke
100m breast stroke
men & women’s floor exercises
rings
men & women’s vault
weightlifting
archery
skeet shooting (7 women events, 10 men events) shotgun, rifle, pistol, and running target
equestrian

It's not a bad game. Certainly not worse than the many other olympic games that have come to past. There are a lot events missing and graphic whores will have a field day dishing out the hate. Gameplay isn't all button mashing, but there's plenty of that present. In some of the events you can even use the DDR dance pad to control your athletes. Overall, I find it pretty fun.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
golem said:
so many epic battles of will and courage happened took place during the epyx summer games...

And after those summers, many of us faced epic battles of will and courage trying to get our joysticks to do anything useful :p

I think 1-2 weeks was the average length of useful life for a joystick during that gaming era.

My fave was the Speedking, the god-damned Rolls-Royce of C64 & Amiga controllers, although not so handy if you were a "lefty" :)

All hail...

sppedking.jpg

I loved Summer Games growing up, +1 to that - but also:

Numan Athletics and Mach Breakers are pretty fun and worth mention though not necessarily realistic representations of the olympics :)

numanath_a.png

Good ol' Namco.

DopeyFish

Laguna X said:
I know you've got some pent up hate with Sony. However, saying that there's only 7 events is not only wrong, but way off. There are over 20 events in Athens 2004. They include:
Shot put
Discus
Javelin
Long jump
Triple jump
High jump
Pole vault
100m
200m
400m
800m
1500m
hurdles
heptathlon
decathlon
100m freestyle
100m butterfly
100m backstroke
100m breast stroke
men & women’s floor exercises
rings
men & women’s vault
weightlifting
archery
skeet shooting (7 women events, 10 men events) shotgun, rifle, pistol, and running target
equestrian

It's not a bad game. Certainly not worse than the many other olympic games that have come to past. There are a lot events missing and graphic whores will have a field day dishing out the hate. Gameplay isn't all button mashing, but there's plenty of that present. In some of the events you can even use the DDR dance pad to control your athletes. Overall, I find it pretty fun.

i answered over 20 in the official olympics site and that was the question i got wrong so i entered 7 and it said i got it right. blame them for my Athens 2004 game knowledge deficiency!

epmode

i can't remember the name of the atari 2600 track and field game (was it track and field?) but i'm pretty sure the 1500m was responsible for more broken joysticks than any other game on the system.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
decathalete plzzzzzzzzzz

you old farts need to get off your ataris and play some sega goodness.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dang it, now I want to track down Decathlete and Winter Heat for my Saturn...

Agent X

epmode said:
i can't remember the name of the atari 2600 track and field game (was it track and field?) but i'm pretty sure the 1500m was responsible for more broken joysticks than any other game on the system.

The Atari 2600 had the original version of The Activision Decathlon, which was most likely the game you're hinting at.

s_Decathlon_2.png

Atari also released a conversion of Konami's Track & Field for the 2600:

s_TrackAndField_3.png

Atari 2600 Track & Field also included a special controller with two run buttons and a jump button, so you could play with arcade-style controls.

con_AtariTrackNField.jpg

I myself happen to own a genuine prototype cartridge of the unreleased Atari 5200 version of Track & Field. :D

s_TrackAndField_3.png

Rumors of a prototype Track & Field for Atari 7800 have spread over the last few days. Curt Vendel (of AtariMuseum.com) just discovered the existence of some long-rumored 7800 prototypes; a ROM image of the unfinished 7800 version of Rescue on Fractalus has been released as a result (click here if you want it). He's also hinted that there are more 7800 surprises to come in the near future, and Track & Field is said to be a possibility.

LakeEarth

For sure. So proud when you get a world record cause you KNOW you earned it. Getting my 9.64 in the 100 meters will always be my highpoint.

Phoenix

The Epyx _____ Games series is easily the champion in the home...
Track and Field was easily the champion in the arcade.

Just thinking about track and field makes the blisters rise....

Top Bottom