• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Herc's Adventures releasing on US PSN this week

Tizoc

A rather old LucasArts game, I've heard of it but never played it. Anyone played this before?
It'll be releasing this week as per the US PS Blog's drop of the week.

Kouriozan

Isn't that super hard game?
Loved playing in with my friend with my old PS1, never managed to finish it but it was fun and challenging x)
I remember we had hard time shortly after the minotaur labyrinth.

snaffles

The really frustrating thing about this game is the massive distance between save points. Other than that it is a pretty fun game, even more so in co-op mode.

I had this game on the Saturn and it's really fun. Beautiful 2D graphics as well. One of LucasArts' best non-adventure/non-Star Wars games.

NotLiquid

Only first heard of this game recently in JonTron's video about Herc games. It looks like a lot of fun. Hope it makes it to EU, I'd love to try it out.

Niahak

It has some balance issues, but it's a fun co-op action adventure game with a good sense of humor. It had a cool system where when you died you could fight your way out of hell. Wish money were easier to come by in the game, IIRC some save points charged for use and you needed it to advance in certain areas.

I'm pretty impressed that this game is seeing PSN release, physical copies are hard to find and it's not a very well known game.

It's a fun game, but not essential. I owned it on Saturn which seemed fitting because it's one of those games clearly too powerful for SNES, but didn't seem to fit in with the 3D games that Sony was pushing at the time.

I remember looking for it when I first got my Vita don't really have time now bummer, from what I can remember it was a great looking 2D with a good balance of platforming / action(with cool power-ups) but was way too short.

androvsky

I just think it's interesting LucasArts is putting out an old title, even though it's probably an extension of Disney putting whatever PS1 titles they have on PSN. Glad the OP managed to resist going with "90's LucasArts title to be re-released this week" for the thread title. :)

I think I will get this as my disc is scratched pretty badly and the sound cuts out.

If square enix put out Brave Fencer Musashi on the US store (I know it is on the JP store but I don't trust my Japanese anymore) I think I would be content.

Is the Saturn version any good? I'm curious why that version was only released in North America.

I've never played the PlayStation version so I can't compare but I seem to recall a topic on GameFAQs discussing it and most seemed to agree that the Saturn version was a bit superior because of how it handled 2D games better than the PlayStation. After checking out some videos of both I can't tell a difference, personally.

I found the game talked about on Hardcoregaming101 and there's a quote about it:

"The PS1 release was an inferior port of the Saturn version, so most people didn't get to play Herc's as we intended."

It's on down the page or just find the word Herc's to get to it quicker.

Oh, and the game came out in North American on the PlayStation.

Agent X

I've never played the PlayStation version so I can't compare but I seem to recall a topic on GameFAQs discussing it and most seemed to agree that the Saturn version was a bit superior because of how it handled 2D games better than the PlayStation. After checking out some videos of both I can't tell a difference, personally.

I found the game talked about on Hardcoregaming101 and there's a quote about it:

"The PS1 release was an inferior port of the Saturn version, so most people didn't get to play Herc's as we intended."

It's on down the page or just find the word Herc's to get to it quicker.

The PlayStation game seemed pretty competent at the time, but that quote ("most people didn't get to play Herc's as we intended") implies that there were major differences. I'm curious what was compromised on PlayStation.

Oh, and the game came out in North American on the PlayStation.

Yes, it did. I believe sixteen-bit was referring to the Saturn version, and the fact that it wasn't released outside of North America.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
sweet. I heard it was hard to find. I remember liking the demo I played on one of those Playstation Club things way back in the day.

This is relevant to my interest. You'll find it in the encyclopedia under "under-appreciated gem".

One of my top Lucasarts (NON-Star Wars) games.

As a young kid with an interest in Greek Mythology this game fueled my love.

Wish they added online coop or something for this port... but yeah. Still own my disc :)

OldRoutes

When thread with no pictures happen, I feel like I'm back in 1996.

197542_10825_front.jpg

195641-herc-s-adventures-playstation-screenshot-hercules-fighting.jpg

tbcdb132888cee952e7c25cdc3a00ced5.jpg

screenie2tg0.jpg

hercs_adventures.jpg

Holy shit, I loved the demo for this game on one of the PlayStation Jampacks but never got around to buying it. Will rectify that this week!

Occam

The PlayStation game seemed pretty competent at the time, but that quote ("most people didn't get to play Herc's as we intended") implies that there were major differences. I'm curious what was compromised on PlayStation.
Nothing, they look identical as far as I can tell. The Playstation version even has better looking FMVs.

i didn't know this game was expensive. i have the game on psx in complete condition. i don't remember how good the disc looks though, as i still gave games away to friends at that time
big mistake.
however, i remember how my first model hardware had trouble playing the voiced scenes with the gods. hopefully it wasn't the disc, have to check later.

anyway, this game was a blast with 2 players. we got lost and owned a lot, but it was fun. i don't remember if we ever beat it.

Nice!

I've been eyeing this for a while since I've been on a mild PS1 kick during the PS nostalgia love fest during the PS4 launch.

Most people compare this game to Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Seems like the type of game that would only mildly suffer from the shitty input lag of PS1 games on PS3 - but it should be perfect on the Vita! Color palate is really vibrant so dat OLED would make it pop.

L3E2

Man I loved this game when I was a kid, it was way too hard for me and my brother to beat though. Whenever I would goto the video store to rent games this would always be at the top of the list. I remember I couldn't get past the Minotaur, he was such a bastard lol.

Eusis

I remember how the timing of the release put it unusually close to Disney's Hercules.

Well, I guess they're both Disney's Hercules now.

Top Bottom