• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks SEGA's Dynamite Deka (Cop) series' 20th anniversary

Tizoc

4xdMNM5.jpg
RVwDutP.jpg

dkH3djv.jpg
XPJDYc9.jpg

DcKp83N.jpg
XzlCzQM.jpg

Dynamite Deka/Dynamite Cop is a series of 3D beat'em-ups by SEGA.

Originally released to arcades in 1996, the game would be more popularly be known in the west as Die Hard Arcade, which is fitting since the main character, Bruno, and the large building the first game takes place in is inspired by the first Die Hard movie.
D. Cop 1 was released on the Saturn and then on the PS2 years later.
The game had you fight through a tall building against criminal goons and robots, using whatever you can get your hands on be it a mop or a rocket launcher.

D. Cop 2 was released in Japan in 1998 and then worldwide and to the Dreamcast in 1999. The game forgoes the setting of the first game and has you infiltrate a ship that's been taken over by terrorists, like the first game you battle your way through the ship collecting power ups and weapons to take down enemies, eventually you end up fighting a giant octopus that's made it's way to the inside of the ship.
Needless to say the developers intended for such ridiculous things to be in the game especially when the villain of the game is an honest to god Pirate
dynamitedeka2-2.png

In 2006, SEGA released a 3rd Dynamite Deka game called Dynamite Deka EX. This game was only released to Arcades and features 3 playable characters. It is a mishmash of stuff from the first and second game. I sadly never knew or got to play the game so I can't comment on it much.

I really wish SEGA could somehow get a Compilation release of 3 games made. I played the first game on my PS3 and while it had some bizarre performance issues, I felt like the gameplay still held up.
As for DD2, I have hilarious memories of playing the game years ago at an arcade and I find the series in general great for drunk playthroughs ;P

Dynamite Deka 1 footage
Dynamite Deka 2 footage
Dynamite Deka EX footage

HG101's article on the DD series

Ah yes, the best video game adaptation of my favourite movie, though it took a fair amount of creative liberties.
Someone get me a gif of one of those lovely quick time event animations.

Memory

One of the best things Sega has ever done. kickstarter needs to stop shitting out metroidvanias and platfomers and start on games like this.

Lol at the Manga, i'm sure they have a perfect explanation why they have a school girl front and centre on the cover and story.

Tizoc

One of the best things Sega has ever done. kickstarter needs to stop shitting out metroidvanias and platfomers and start on games like this.

Lol at the Manga, i'm sure they have a perfect explanation why they have a school girl front and centre on the cover and story.

The best part is that the schoolgirl's shirt is rather short :V

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i find the dreamcast version very difficult to play even with the arcade stick. even basic commands like P+K don't register consistently.

Tizoc

Just had a 2 questions regarding this.

1. Will this game work on a NA Playstation 4?

2. Do you need a Japanese Playstation account?

It only works on PS3s mate. Make a JP PSN account, download to PS3, play on any account you want.
There are no JP PS2 games for the PS4 atm.

Sgblues

Yeah the PS2 version of DD1 which is part of the Sega Ages collection is great as it adds a lockon option which helps out a lot as the original arcade didn't have it.

But I'm glad Bruno Delinger hasn't been forgotten about, he has shown up in Project X Zone with the track "High-rise to hell" play as his theme, he also had a cameo in SeHa Girls.

Also Wolf Hongo has nothing on Hans Gruber!

i find the dreamcast version very difficult to play even with the arcade stick. even basic commands like P+K don't register consistently.
To be fair, the arcade version isn't exactly the most responsive control-wise either

Still. Trying out Die Hard Arcade with no previous knowledge of it at Galloping Ghost was an awesome surprise. 3D brawling SEGA goodness (with guns!)

I always vastly preferred the art direction/scenario of the first game. The second has its moments but is just too zany for me, and the visuals aren't as crisp and eye catching to me.

The second one even has a Golden Axe tribute level.

Some of y'all are downplaying how amazing these games were. Like, legit could 1cc the game without too much bullshit, which was a tall order for any arcade game back in the day. So long as you had enough skill, you could do pretty well, meaning it was more about learning how the game played rather than battles of attraction.

The battle system was basically Virtua Fighter laced over a full 3D realm, and because of that, the game plays very tight and without too many terrible hitboxes (IIRC, anyway).

Also, the Sega Ages game is among the best of the series. Not only did they have the original mode inside it, they also had a bunch of extras, like an Easy Mode with Golden Axe characters and items, and things like Arrest Mode.

Crazy great games.

i like zombie revenge a lot more, but love me some Dynamite Cop

saw someone streaming Dynamite Deka EX the other night and it looked pretty shit, actually. It ups the crazy by a 1000 but the gameplay looked terrible. the transformations are useless and the animations for the transformed characters are hilariously awful.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i still need to get the sega ages version. i adore the dc port of deka2 (although i wish they didn't bother with all the fmv)

Cipherr

Loved this game in co-op. Won a copy of it from the Sega Trivia contests Sega employees used to hold on Segas IRC server back during the Dreamcast days. They would join #Sonic and run contests and mail you prizes if you got top 3 after you PM'd them your info. I won Dynamite Cop, Crazy Taxi (already owned it) and Bass Fishing
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I really miss stuff like that.

TreIII

Spent so much time with this game back in the day. And the Ages release for PS2 just did it all over again.

Would love to see this series make a revival in some way.

Chillz0r

Banned
Played 2 on DC the 31st with friends. Still as fun as i remembered, throwing cake slices, pepper and rockets doesnt get old.

Would buy a HD collection day 1, as i never got to play EX :(

Played 2 on DC the 31st with friends. Still as fun as i remembered, throwing cake slices, pepper and rockets doesnt get old.

Would buy a HD collection day 1, as i never got to play EX :(

After playing EX tonight. It's very disappointing. It's a re-skin of Dynamite Cop but a lot of grapple combos are removed and they removed the power meter for costume changes for each of the three characters. If you love weird stuff. EX is a game to play. But I think it's the worse out of the three.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Reminder: Bruno is an unlockable skin in House of the Dead 2's Original mode:
latest

I hadn't played and didn't know of the Dynamite games at the time, so when I unlocked this I had no fucking clue why Bruce Willis was in HOTD but that just made it even more awesome.

I recommend watching the Super Replay of Dynamite Cop if you want to see the literal embodiment of the game's target demo get their hands on it (it's Dan--it's Dan Ryckert)

Top Bottom