• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*edit - going back to this thread, I'm not able to fix the pictures properly. It's keeping the dead links in addition to the replacement pics but those dead links aren't showing up when editing for me to even delete. It's weird. Sorry it looks messy now.

Krejlooc made a great thread on his Amiga hardware modification.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-am-towerizing-my-amiga-1200.13988/

I figured we could also use a thread for Amiga game discussion, too.

Introduced by Commodore in 1985, the Amiga was a line of 16-bit computers with a strong game development community. It was released at a time when their 8-bit Commodore 64 was only three years old and still popular but with rival companies making powerful new computers, it was important to get the system out to tackle the higher end market. Its primary competition was Atari's ST and Apple's IIGS. The latter never really took off but initially the ST was selling better than the Amiga.
2084fc33f488de0225831f66b6dce491903f4524.jpg
sys.jpg

Many games in the '80s were released on both ST and Amiga. The ST was a bit weaker in some ways and lacked hardware scrolling so many of these games were developed at ST level and didn't use the Amiga's full abilities (although they were still impressive). It wasn't until the '90s that I think the Amiga would really shine in the games department. By then the ST was becoming less relevant and the Amiga was getting more exclusives.

Similar to the jump from NES to SNES, or SMS to Genesis, the jump from C64 to Amiga was a big graphical improvement and many games were refinements of the previous system's concepts. However, I don't think the C64-Amiga situation parallels exactly with what happened with the consoles for these reasons:

• The Amiga's heyday coincided with other awesome games systems with exclusive games: Genesis/Mega Drive, TurboGrafx/PC Engine, SNES/Super Famicom and DOS PC. The C64 was in a position in the mid '80s where owning just it would cover you very well. Consoles were dying in support and many of 1984's NA console games were on C64. I love the Atari 800 and Apple II but many of their best games were ported nicely to C64. And DOS PC wasn't really relevant for games yet. I am speaking specifically about the North American market, though. Japan obviously had good Famicom and MSX stuff that most of us couldn't get to yet and Europe had Spectrum and Amstrad games.

• The Amiga computers remained at a price level competing with other high end computers while the C64 dropped closer to console prices, and could be hooked to a TV without needing an adapter. The Amiga had more of a reputation for non-gaming software than the C64.

• Despite Commodore being an American company (although founded in Canada in their pre-computer days), and the C64 having sold well in North America, the Amiga wasn't very successful in that region. This resulted in the Amiga's game development scene being largely European while the C64 had more of a NA/EU mix. A bunch of the Amiga's great games (LucasArts and Sierra adventures, Civilization, Dune II, Desert Strike, Prince of Persia, Ultima games, etc.) did originate from NA but these were straight ports mostly from PC and not originally made for Amiga.
Here are 20 quality Amiga games:
(Years ago, I made a much bigger version of this thread if anyone wants more game pics. It seemed like overkill to post that many. http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/threads/54727-Commodore-Amiga2 )

Agony (Art and Magic/Psygnosis)
This is one I admit I liked more for style over substance. It was still solid for gameplay but the art, detail, music, and animation were incredible.
7ec88ebef3ad03d3ea5b5ea4b7658fc704a08e30.png
agony.png

Another World AKA Out of this World (Delphine Software/U.S. Gold/Interplay)
I was amazed at the cinematic nature and surreal art style in this game. I had never seen or played anything quite like it. I was bummed that I didn't own an Amiga at the time but I ended up getting its first console port in 1992 (SNES) and it was a worthy conversion as were others. The Amiga version remained the best one visually until modern ports. This game was also a big influence on one of Japan's few Amiga owner-turned game designers, Fumito Ueda, the main man at Team Ico.
4698c4d5584f2c00d37bbbe892497d89b79b2f6c.png
another.png

Apidya (Kaiko/Blue Byte)
Although it took inspiration from Japanese games like Insector-X and Gradius in theme and power up system, this popular Amiga shooter was very European in look and feel. It has held up well over time for fans of methodical shooters.
583ff05cb7e5e4e079084056f80698581240b8c5.png
apidya.png

B.A.T. series (Computer's Dream/Esprit Software Programs/Ubi Soft)
I preferred and put more time into the second game (also known as Koshan Conspiracy). It was a hard game to categorize as it felt like an open-ended adventure game but had RPG stats/battles, arcade-y minigames, and 3d flight areas. It was quite ambitious for a 1992 game. I think the ST version might have come first but the Amiga and PC versions were very similar.
bd2391a320e46cd7f7879a9e07412e3c07f079e5.png
bat.png

BC Kid (Factor 5/Hudson Soft)
Yes, that's Bonk's Adventure on Amiga. It was quite a good port, too (most Amiga ports of Japanese games were hideous bastardizations). I missed the turbo switch super spin, and it was a little odd pressing up to jump, but it retained most of the look and feel of the TG16 classic. It played a little faster than the original and had some nice colour touch ups although I didn't like the new soundtrack as much. BC Kid along with R-Type and Katakis are available for free to download at Factor 5's site. http://www.factor5.de/downloads.shtml1
cca905105731b86f17c9574a48cdf64554821e01.png
apidya.png

Cannon Fodder series (Sensible Software/Virgin Interactive)
Kick ass action/strategy hybrid. It did manage to get console ports (even to the Jaguar) but the mouse control on Amiga was more intuitive.
fabdd4f6964687f3b4be6f0ea531673c61b157b2.png
cannon.png

Crazy Cars series (Titus Software)
This series didn't really get good until part 3. Crazy Cars III had both smooth motion and a great speed sensation.
2052d9c7a9268bc178584ac2053b709981126d5d.png
crazycars.png

D/Generation (Abersoft/Mindscape)
This blended genres really well (action, stealth, puzzles). The PC and ST versions might have been made first (I don't know) but the Amiga and CD32 got versions with enhanced graphics a few years later.
776ae352f1732554407e0782c250a10cb36aa4b0.png
dgen.png

Dreamweb (Creative Reality/Empire Interactive)
Dark, demented, and quite gory for its time. Opinions remain polarized on this adventure game. Some hate how it lets you pick up tons of objects you will never use but that never bothered me as the puzzles were logical enough.
33a1ecd34d52fee1ac8d4f2aa28d72e35a3b98d3.png
dreamwb.png

Flashback (Delphine Software/U.S. Gold)
Man, I loved this game. I figure most of you have played a console port of it if not the Amiga original. The Genesis version was the first one I played and owned.
dcc88f5b4b2e559f999f3c8dbe5a5df1b5a47f56.png
flashback.png

Future Wars: Time Travellers (Delphine Software/Palace Software)
A couple years before Out of this World, Eric Chahi did the graphics for this, one of better sci-fi graphic adventures of the '80s and still worth playing. The PC version was pretty close in quality but I think the Amiga one looked a tad nicer.
953baad47cc0242c52ce00f25cf99d33cd961986.png
future-wars.png

Hunter (Activision)
Like Mercenary before it, this was step towards modern GTA-style sandbox gaming with its 3d environment, ability to grab and use various vehicles, and freedom to choose missions. Games like this are an example of Amiga culture living on in future game eras despite the mainstream seeming to forget most stuff not on Nintendo systems.
e685b3b8dbdb0a449fb31e11e8f1d228b4be8152.png
hunter.png

Lemmings series (DMA Design/Psygnosis)
I hope no one missed out this breakthrough puzzle game as it was ported to nearly everything.
8efe7bfa0f4394c3ef8d3a76064bfaa7f373db01.png
lemmings.png

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge series (Magnetic Fields/Gremlin)
The first game came out in 1990 and it was so much smoother than any racing game you could get on console.
9e62cad2f72f79b578e979fad765c99111b6b932.png
lotus.png

Moonstone: A Hard Day's Knight (Mindscape)
A mix of real-time fighting and RPG leveling.
92caec17c807fd1986da8eceede8f7b142ee67d3.png
moonstone.png

Perihelion: The Prophecy (Morbid Visions/Psygnosis)
One of more overlooked RPGs of the early '90s. It was scarce for enemy encounters but it nailed the bleak cyberpunk vibe with cool computer hacking stuff. It also had an Elder Scrolls-like leveling system where skills upgraded through usage.
1790766ec3926dbbe7cd6783384c7bef8a3259bd.png
perihelion.png

Qwak (Team 17)
A remake of an older BBC Micro game. The Bubble Bobble influence is obvious but this could hold its own as a great single-screen platformer. It was later ported to PC and Mac but I think some of the charm was lost there.
fb9b43ba120344bb5ef79fc21557bce48850e9a0.png
qwak.png

Shadow of the Beast series (Reflections/Pygnosis)
My jaw dropped when saw the first game back in '89. It was the most graphically impressive home game I had seen, especially in motion with all the layers of scrolling. SotB 1 and 2 were good action-adventures but I feel SotB3 is the one that holds up best. Normally a series becoming easier and more linear is a red flag but I think in this case having a less frustrating game was an improvement.
efe643b32a47d9006af49d1f0874ade34395879d.png
shadow.png

Super Obliteration
Pang meets Asteroids in this freeware gem.
bc7f94dc338a8f70e803105c1ae864aaaf345173.png
super-oblit.png

Turrican series (Factor 5/Rainbow Arts)
You can't go wrong with any of the three Turrican games on Amiga. Part 2 is probably my favourite. It was a refinement of the first game's formula and more exploratory than T3 and the console games.
f938952298b273731773d8fe59b25138f19bcf69.png
turr.png

It's a system with a strong and influential history for games even though Commodore itself went bankrupt not long after attempting a console version of the system with the CD32 in 1993. Some links:
lemonamiga.com
http://oldcomputers.net/amiga1000.html

Last edited:

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Great picks, OP.

I've no idea how my parents afforded to buy me and my brother a 500+ back in the day, those things were stupidly expensive.

But my god was that Christmas the best ever. Only slightly better than the one where we traded it in for a 1200, mind. I still have clear memories of the multi pack games we got with it. Many hours wasted on Shufflepuck Cafe.

The 1200 is still going strong. I don't think I'll ever feel as attached to a piece of hardware as I will the Amiga.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Lots of great memories from my Amiga, so many fantastic games, Cannon Fodder, The Chaos Engine, Lemmings, Wings, It Came from the Desert, Beneath a Steel Sky, Syndicate, Flashback, Monkey Island and many many more

I still have my A500+ and a ton of games, could never part with it.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Amiga <3

My father got an Amiga 1000 back in 1987, then a few years later I got an Amiga 500 of my own and a few years after that an Amiga 1200.

Lots of great games in the OP, here are some games I think of when I think Amiga.

Agony, Another World, Barbarian, Beyond the Ice Palace, Cabal, Civilization, Defender of the Crown, Double Dragon, Dragon Ninja, Dune II, Elite II: Frontier, F/A-18 Interceptor, Final Fight, Flashback, Giana Sisters, Golden Axe, Gunship 2000, Hard 'n Heavy, Hero's Quest, Hostage, Hunter, Hybris, Into the Eagle's Nest, Lemmings, Lotus Turbo Challenge II, Marble Madness, Midnight Resistance, Moonstone, Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, North & South, Obliterator, Oil Imperium, Pang!, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Illusions, Pirates!, Ports of Call, Road Rash, Rodland, R-Type, Shadow of the Beast, Shufflepuck Café, Sky Chase, Speedball II, Stunt Car Racer, Super Cars II, Super Frog, Sword of Sodan, Syndicate, The New Zealand Story, Turrican II, Turrican III, X-out, Wing Commander

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK

I remember the first game I played on my new Amiga 500: Menace. A fairly simple 2D shoot-em-up. I hooked it up with an RGB SCART lead for glorious colours, and connected it up to a stereo sound system. What struck me first was the rich colour palette, then the sound. Oh yeah, stereo sound with frickin' bass. I knew I'd love this system.

Sound was by David Whittaker, published by the iconic Psygnosis, and developed by DMA Design (now the famous Rockstar Games of GTA fame). What a cast...

Favourite game on the system is Kick Off 2, a love it or hate it game. A football game of simple controls, fast with immense depth. Here is a collection of goals scored, which seem so basic, but anyone who has played the game will know the amount of skill involved:

Sensible Soccer was no substitute.

Amiga - an awesome system, stuffed full of custom chips. The designer, Jay Miner, had a similar history with Atari. RIP.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
They way the characters look running in Kick Off 2 is always funny to me. Great game.
Yeah, those sprites look so wrong running, yet so right!

This is such a criminally under appreciated thread for such an iconic computer.

The mod/ tracker scene was huge on the Amiga. Here's a selection of some gaming tunes:

Oct 25, 2017
The GOAT system.

It's been like 20 years but I regret giving my Amiga 500 to my cousins. Every time I think about the Amiga I get the urge to try and buy one again.

Oct 26, 2017
All hail the Bitmap Brothers.

Gods
maxresdefault.jpg

Speedball 2
maxresdefault.jpg

The Chaos Engine
c73888ce5bc805224a50f3153d2d7d18.jpg

Xenon 2: Megablast.
xenon1.jpg

They were a really consistent developer that had a fantastically distinctive graphical style across their games.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Amiga 500 and then 1200 kept me from console gaming for a very long time.

Favourite game was SWOS. So many hours put into sensible.

Championship Manager as well.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact the ST version of B.A.T. came with a sound card that connected to the cartridge port on the left side making its music very good and far more impressive than the Amiga's version

Also the STE closed the gap with the Amiga but it was too little too late ;-)

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fun fact the ST version of B.A.T. came with a sound card that connected to the cartridge port on the left side making its music very good and far more impressive than the Amiga's version

Also the STE closed the gap with the Amiga but it was too little too late ;-)

My friend is a music producer and the ST was his machine when we were hitting the Amiga.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
In the old place i was tagged: "the amiga brotherhood" :)

There are so many games missing in the op, sadly i think that many wouldn't hold up today:
Dune 2
Dune_II_-_The_Battle_for_Arrakis_1.png

Sim city
simcity_4.png

settlers
settlers_the_2.png

beneath a steel sky
520x293bb.jpg

eye of the beholder
Eye_of_the_Beholder_2.png

xcom/ufo enemy unknown
Xcom2.png

frontier elite 2
frontier-elite-ii_56.png

sindicate
syndicate.gif

sensible world of soccer
giphy.gif

battle chess
ST_Battle_Chess.png

monkey island 1&2
dc-1419-41316223742.jpeg

chaos engine
ChaosEngine1_s11.png

superfrog
487725-superfrog-amiga-cd32-screenshot-quick-i-have-to-escape-from.png

james pond games
James-pond-2-04.png

fire and ice
76408-fire-ice-amiga-screenshot-game-1.png

first samurai
first-samurai-amiga.jpg

robocop 3
PQ37PkB.png

pinball fantasies
Pinball_Fantasies_4.png

myth
MYTH-AMIGA-scrn-010.jpg

and many many more i'm forgetting now

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You complain about the lack of Chaos Engine but no one mentionned Magic Pockets :p

Haha! I remember that. I'd go with Godz and Speedball before that though. :)

In the old place i was tagged: "the amiga brotherhood" :)

There are so many games missing in the op, sadly i think that many wouldn't hold up today:
Dune 2
Dune_II_-_The_Battle_for_Arrakis_1.png

Sim city
simcity_4.png

settlers
settlers_the_2.png

beneath a steel sky
520x293bb.jpg

eye of the beholder
Eye_of_the_Beholder_2.png

xcom/ufo enemy unknown
Xcom2.png

frontier elite 2
frontier-elite-ii_56.png

sindicate
syndicate.gif

sensible world of soccer
giphy.gif

battle chess
ST_Battle_Chess.png

monkey island 1&2
dc-1419-41316223742.jpeg

chaos engine
ChaosEngine1_s11.png

superfrog
487725-superfrog-amiga-cd32-screenshot-quick-i-have-to-escape-from.png

james pond games
James-pond-2-04.png

fire and ice
76408-fire-ice-amiga-screenshot-game-1.png

first samurai
first-samurai-amiga.jpg

robocop 3
PQ37PkB.png

pinball fantasies
Pinball_Fantasies_4.png

myth
MYTH-AMIGA-scrn-010.jpg

and many many more i'm forgetting now

The memories T-T

Robocop 3 and Syndicate were balla.

How could I forget Dungeon Master? Probably because I don't have any graph paper to hand :D

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best personal computer ever. Sooooo many good memories, and I even owe my professional career to the Amiga (videographer).

I was dreaming back then of the Toaster (only available in NTSC), a mini TV studio with real time DSPs
videotoaster4000-2.jpg

From NewTek, with the then famous Kiki among core enthusiasts and AV journalists
tumblr_inline_oa4utxVdSv1t4hnx8_540.jpg

and the suite including Lightwave 3D

LightwaveV5_004.png

which would make us dream of doing stuff like that
babylon5ships.jpg

And of course the games

Another_World_Coverart.png

Future_Wars_-_Time_Travellers.png

1.jpg

start_046.png

main_small.jpg

Rocket_Ranger_2.png

hybris_title.png

z-out_63.gif

Last edited:

Kitaj

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit I remember and played almost all these games. Kick Off and Lotus are classics for me.

Another one I have found memories of was a strategy warhammer game.... memory's a bit fuzzy.

Don't know if you guys remember that one?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I remember we used to use a MegaDrive controller as a second joystick, and I loved the quarterback controls in TV Sports Football. You actually aimed the pass with the joystick and pass strength was determined by how long you held down the button. It was a lot more skill based than passing in Madden games at the time.

hqdefault.jpg

This video shows off the game pretty well, but you may want to mute the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4lJ5ObaYJM

Last edited:

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Let's not forget the demoscene as well, who were always pushing what the machine could do.

Demos like Phenomena's Enigma were classic:

The music!

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The machine that made me a gamer for life.

The birthplace of Rocket League?! (Have the devs been asked if they ever played Wild Wheels?)

Amnios

Disposable Hero

Baby Jo

Wild Wheels

Return to Genesis

Elfmania

Body Blows

Banshee

Naughty Ones

Traps 'n Treasures

Last edited:

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Amiga 500 was the first gaming system I ever had, I remember playing so many games on it.
My favourite were probably Elf and SotB2, played alot of Toki (arcade port), Lionheart and Risky Woods aswell.

Oct 26, 2017
Core Design achieved playable cartoon graphics with Heimdall and Premiere. Gods had a vocal track as the intro. The Killing Game Show had a rendered intro. Many Amiga games had somewhat messy gameplay but goddamn, they pushed technological boundaries. It's no coincidence that technical developers like Housemarque, Rockstar North and DICE started out on the Amiga.

Oct 26, 2017
Dungeon Master.

dm5.jpg

I found this game strangely terrifying when I was young, something to do with the way the enemies could just appear suddenly because they moved a square at a a time.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I still have my Amiga 600HD - sadly the massive 20Mb hard drive no longer works though.

Even all these years later the Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 intro is still absolutely amazing:

Several of my favourites have been mentioned - particularly James Pond 2, Syndicate, D/Generation, SWOS, Monkey Island 2 - but here are a couple of others:

Parasol Stars: The Story Of Rainbow Islands II
La8INJz.png

Rome: AD 92
wAKRufn.png

Epic
ckNVFHq.png

Indianapolis 500
KsjFSkJ.png

MrSpiffing

Oct 30, 2017
Though I had an Atari STe rather than a Amiga in my youth I still look back very fondly on the games of the era. Operation Stealth, Speedball 2, Wings of Death, Midwinter 2, Fast Food Dizzy, Dungeon Master (I remember my dad playing this and mapping out floors on paper from our dot matrix printer.) just to name a few. Amazing box art too especially on Psygnosis releases.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sensible Soccer, Speedball 2, Micromachines, Lemmings, F1GP, Leander, Monkey Island... I loved many Amiga games.