144634-sword-of-the-berserk-guts-rage-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg
203-Sword_of_the_Berserk_Guts_Rage-4.jpg

Sword of the Berserk

spawn-in-the-demon-s-hand-dreamcast-front-cover_Back_to_the_Media__Copy_.jpg
82911.jpg

Spawn In the Demon's Hand

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Eventhough it isn't an exclusive, I thought the Quake 3 port was really cool because it had VGA plus keyboard/mouse support and even had an exclusive soundtrack (afaik. Don't remember hearing the same music on PC).

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not a lot of 2d games on Dreamcast it's a shame, i would have loved to see more of what it could do.

I remember that one

727738-puyo-puyo-n-dreamcast-screenshot-she-actually-uses-that-bow.png

Cause believe me or not it was a SHOCK! for me, and for a reason, it was the first time i ever saw (and the last one?) CRT HD pixel art. The game is 640x480. The sharpness was surrealistic to see.
What the hell, this looks amazing.
How do we get M2 to port this to modern consoles?

kdillman

May 12, 2018
7 games were released. Not sure how long each of them were, if the story was finished, or if the games were good. It looks like something I could love though :)

Dynamite Deka (Dynamite Cop!)
Another game I just had to import. Made by Sega AM1 R&D Division in 1999. I could play everything in co op and beat people silly with a frozen fish and play the wackiest beat-em up ever. I love this!
17340-dynamite-cop-dreamcast-screenshot-punch-enemies-until-they.jpg
17345-dynamite-cop-dreamcast-screenshot-two-players-at-once.jpg
17343-dynamite-cop-dreamcast-screenshot-the-president-s-daughter.jpg
I love Dynamite Cop and will not let anyone not know that. It's distilled fun arcade fun and goofiness, solid recommend to play with a friend.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, yeah: Dynamite Cop is awesome. I didn't actually try it until about five years ago and was like, "What took me so long?!"

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
The Dreamcast was so popular in latin america back then, so I got to play plenty of games in it.

The one game that elluded me for so long was The Ring: Terror's Realm, some terrible survival horror that remains the only game based on the IP (and some random visual novel for the Wonderswan). I've always meant to give it a go because I'm a huge fan of the movies, but goddamn it looks terrible.

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Outtrigger
Developed by SEGA-AM2 Co., LTD. I bought the japanese copy in the end of 1999. And for a long time I thought I was alone in loving this very arcadey over the shoulder shooter.
22086-outtrigger-screenshot.jpg
22089-outtrigger-screenshot.jpg
22108-outtrigger-screenshot.jpg
I've got this one as well, though it was mostly used to play some local split screen matches.

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
36388-menu-Ooga-Booga.jpg

36388-ingame-Ooga-Booga.jpg

Olga Booga
While most of its marketing was geared around the online play aspect, this game actually had a split screen 4 player mode too. There were basically 2 modes, a point scoring death match and a 2v2 boar riding combat soccer mode. The death match mode was brutal, you could throw shrunken heads as basic ranged attack, shoot fireballs from a staff, ride random boars scattered around to maul people, raise totem poles as automated turrets and ride eagles for air raids across the various island levels. We used to play this religiously as our mainstay vs game in the Dreamcast era and if anyone knew the layout of an island half decently they could absolutely tear around causing serious destruction on any lagging players. The soccer mode was good too but it didn't ever generate the same level of seething rage as when some one would ram you with a boar into the water and spam the crap out of you with shrunken heads while you tried to swim to shore.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a copy of Maken X after hearing about it in this thread. Never played it back in the day, and am very excited to play it for myself!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Rent A Hero?

Also there was a neat horror RPG based in medieval Europe...can't remember it's name.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Maken X is super underrated but it deserves another look. It's a first person hack and slash game where you hijack the minds of opponents. The controls are wonky by modern standards but it's still cool.
You cannot have a weird dreamcast game thread without Maken X. Such a foreign and cool concept for a game. Loved every minute of it

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Maken X is super underrated but it deserves another look. It's a first person hack and slash game where you hijack the minds of opponents. The controls are wonky by modern standards but it's still cool.

1Z5YJpH.jpg

9hYX7NM.jpg
You cannot have a weird dreamcast game thread without Maken X. Such a foreign and cool concept for a game. Loved every minute of it

Based on these replies I watched this video now:

and wow this game looks really interesting alright! :o And that actually makes me wonder, I heard the type of music Maken X has in alot of 90's Konami games and SHUMPs, is this actually a specific genre of electronic music?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Based on these replies I watched this video now:

and wow this game looks really interesting alright! :o And that actually makes me wonder, I heard the type of music Maken X has in alot of 90's Konami games and SHUMPs, is this actually a specific genre of electronic music?

But this video does not show the coolest feature of the game. You can "brain jack" bosses after defeating them. Which means you take over their body and you get to use their weapon and abilities. Regarding the music, I am not sure if it is a specific genre but a lot of japanese games in the 90's, early 2000's used that style.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
But this video does not show the coolest feature of the game. You can "brain jack" bosses after defeating them. Which means you take over their body and you get to use their weapon and abilities. Regarding the music, I am not sure if it is a specific genre but a lot of japanese games in the 90's, early 2000's used that style.

So it's basically pseudo Mega Man, I really have to get my hands on this! And yeah that's why I asked, maybe I should open a extra thread for that because I never get tired of this style of music.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
What a trip down memory lane this thread has been for me!!

Dreamcast was such a special time for me.. the games were so different then what I was used to playing primarily being a Nintendo only gamer up until then.

Don't think I've seen Visual Concepts weird game - Floigan Bros mentioned yet!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Getting wrecked on a 56k connection in Unreal Tournament. Good times!

I also miss downloading save files with an interface directly to my memory card. Unlocking 200+ cars in Sega GT? Ptfff
Ain't nobody got time for that

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Record of the Lodoss War is a cool dungeon crawler hack and slash, feels like a western RPG of that era but was actually developed by Neverland of Lufia/Rune Factory fame. Worth playing for dungeon crawl fans. It's based off an anime which I've never seen but it's almost impossible to discern any kind of anime influence, for a while I was convinced this was a western developed game ported from PC.

Also, I own Rhapsody of Zephyr, it's a beautiful game and one of the first (to my knowledge) big Korean games. Supposedly the plot is based off of Count of Monte Cristo and Falcom had some involvement with the Japanese version. From what I've played, combat is a painfully slow SRPG, so I couldn't get much into it. Would still be a good candidate for translation.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Record of the Lodoss War is a cool dungeon crawler hack and slash, feels like a western RPG of that era but was actually developed by Neverland of Lufia/Rune Factory fame. Worth playing for dungeon crawl fans. It's based off an anime which I've never seen but it's almost impossible to discern any kind of anime influence, for a while I was convinced this was a western developed game ported from PC.

Also, I own Rhapsody of Zephyr, it's a beautiful game and one of the first (to my knowledge) big Korean games. Supposedly the plot is based off of Count of Monte Cristo and Falcom had some involvement with the Japanese version. From what I've played, combat is a painfully slow SRPG, so I couldn't get much into it. Would still be a good candidate for translation.
Yeah would be nice to see that one fan translated. I'm surprised Hundred Swords never got fan translated on Dreamcast, the PC version was localized but it's pretty inaccessible now and the game is more of a novelty on Dreamcast anyway.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
Speaking of anime games on the Dreamcast, there was also Nadesico The Mission, based on Martian Successor Nadesico.

It came at a time when anime was still very obscure in the US outside of a few titles, so it felt special when I got to play it. I have fond memories of watching the animated intro with my college anime club friends and trying to figure out what any of the menu items did. And shouting "Ruri!" like a bunch of idiots. We never got very far since I can't read much Japanese. The gameplay seemed like a pretty generic space combat turn based rpg. I doubt it will ever be translated, since it was nothing special. Apparently it continues the story from after the final movie, according to https://www.otakuusamagazine.com/attempting-to-bridge-the-nadesico-gap/ .

105153.jpg

T4997766300085.jpg

"baka bakka."

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of neat games here, some I never played. I'm going to go with this gem:

It came at the end of the Dreamcast and like Heavy Metal and other late DC games, you could get it dirt cheap. I paid something like $20 for it brand new at Gamestop on release day.

Not a lot of 2d games on Dreamcast it's a shame, i would have loved to see more of what it could do.

I remember that one

727738-puyo-puyo-n-dreamcast-screenshot-she-actually-uses-that-bow.png

Cause believe me or not it was a SHOCK! for me, and for a reason, it was the first time i ever saw (and the last one?) CRT HD pixel art. The game is 640x480. The sharpness was surrealistic to see.

Guilty Gear X on the Dreamcast also had 640x480 2D graphics. It looked amazing on VGA.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Skies of Arkadia
Overworks, Sega
2859screenshot2.png
2859screenshot3.png
2859screenshot1.jpg

I'm currently replaying one of my absolute favorite Dreamcast games. This sense of exploration, the cheerful characters, blue skies, great graphics, fitting music and awesome world. I love it!

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Skies of Arkadia
Overworks, Sega
2859screenshot2.png
2859screenshot3.png
2859screenshot1.jpg

I'm currently replaying one of my absolute favorite Dreamcast games. This sense of exploration, the cheerful characters, blue skies, great graphics, fitting music and awesome world. I love it!
I'm replaying the game as well! Just made it to disc 2! SoA is actually my favorite game of all time, and it amazes me how much it holds up today. The characters are charming, the visuals look fan-fucking-tastic in 480p on my CRT monitor, and the soundtrack is very memorable. Ship battles especially impress me, due to the cinematic camera angles that look so damn good. I fucking love this game! Just have to have the patience for the random battles, because the frequency is very high on the DC version lol.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
yesterday I played some sega Dreamcast 3D fighters. I had a lot of fun, but two games stood out to me, and one of them was

Project Justice
A Capcom fighter made fro Dreamcast and NAOMI in 2000 (Japanese release.). It is really fun and holds up really well. The team based nature lets you do a lot of wacky attacks and the art is sublime.
projectjustice-03-480x360.png
projectjustice-19-480x360.png
projectjustice-12.png

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
No mention of Kiss Psycho Circus: Nightmare Child? It's an fps based on the band Kiss. Such a weird idea for a game and it was an ok game. I had fun with it despite not knowing much about the band.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
No mention of Kiss Psycho Circus: Nightmare Child? It's an fps based on the band Kiss. Such a weird idea for a game and it was an ok game. I had fun with it despite not knowing much about the band.

I played a demo of this from the Official Dreamcast Magazine when I was kid. Shit was creepy. Honestly wouldn't mind getting a copy of this, because the aesthetic was interesting.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017