entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
With the release of the NGCD style controllers by 8bitdo, NeoGeo has been on my mind. I'm a huge fan personally--see avatar ;)

However, I mostly interfaced with NeoGeo via the MVS arcade units as a kid and the ports and collections, which started around the PS1/SS era. The AES was too rich for my blood, not just the unit, but the actual software with carts going for 200 buck in 90s money.

To rectify this, SNK created a CD version of their hardware. Games were priced like contemporary competitors and finally the NeoGeo was available at home at reasonable prices. Problem was load times. I think the first unit was single speed. There was a faster CD-Z unit that doubled the speed. But we weren't used to load times at the time. Plus the NeoGeo had fast paced arcade games as its core, you couldn't really hide like other developers did on other machines.

But, even with that, I still missed the unit. I didn't have the cash to support another system, even with much cheaper games. I've thought of buying a unit and collecting CD games, but even those have been going up in price too! The NeoGeo Halo Effect is real. Windjammers CD is around 80 bucks used in eBay right now as a example. Although the fighters are pretty cheap! But there are better ways to play the fighters these days.

I do kinda wish I got one around 2011, before the retro market got crazy. I always wanted original NeoGeo hardware as a fan and that was my best bet pockets wise lol.

One cool thing, as a VGM fan as well, is that many of the CD versions of the games had arranged soundtracks. Some had other additions as well. I think Metal Slug had a training mode.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Load times killed it for me... I had a few games, Metal Slug, AOF3, some of the earlier KOFs... and honestly for fighters its a no go - you'll spend more time waiting for matches than playing them.
Back in the day sure it was a less expensive way of playing the games (Metal Slug especially) but the trade off wasnt worth it. In the end, Metal Slug was the only game I owned that I felt was worth while, beacuse the load time issue was nowhere near as bad as fighters.

These days I really dont recommend it... you can get NG original titles via Arcade Archives for 5 bucks (or close to that) and those are decent ports and no load times! Its really just for collectors who dont want to shell out for the superior MVS or AES hardware.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Load times killed it for me... I had a few games, Metal Slug, AOF3, some of the earlier KOFs... and honestly for fighters its a no go - you'll spend more time waiting for matches than playing them.
Back in the day sure it was a less expensive way of playing the games (Metal Slug especially) but the trade off wasnt worth it. In the end, Metal Slug was the only game I owned that I felt was worth while, beacuse the load time issue was nowhere near as bad as fighters.

These days I really dont recommend it... you can get NG original titles via Arcade Archives for 5 bucks (or close to that) and those are decent ports and no load times! Its really just for collectors who dont want to shell out for the superior MVS or AES hardware.

Even the CDZ?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I think it was an awful machine, it was worth it for the arranged OST of some games, those were incredible.

Oh, and they decided to make a localized 50Hz version for my region, so that's another stink to add to the awful loading times.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Even if I think it was an awful machine, it was worth it for the arranged OST of some games, those were incredible.

Oh, and they decided to make a localized 50Hz version for my region, so that's another stink to add to the awful loading times.
Which games had your favorite arranged OST?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You were looking at load times worse than the Saturn for SNK games (which itself still wasnt great for KOF, bar KOF 95 to some extent). The CDZ spead things up only a very small amount.
Trust me, these days its a curio and nothing but. If you really want to collect Neo Geo stuff physically - look into getting an MVS, still somewhat "affordable" for Neo Geo, but without any of the problems.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. You were looking at load times worse than the Saturn for SNK games (which itself still wasnt great for KOF, bar KOF 95 to some extent). The CDZ spead things up only a very small amount.
Trust me, these days its a curio and nothing but. If you really want to collect Neo Geo stuff physically - look into getting an MVS, still somewhat "affordable" for Neo Geo, but without any of the problems.
Oh, I'm good with not collecting at all for the SNK consoles. It's just insane lol.

I missed my time haha. Plus there's great stuff like Arcade Archive and other options like MiSTer

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm good with not collecting at all for the SNK consoles. It's just insane lol.
For sure. I have a modest AES collection, but its just getting way too expensive now. So Im basically just sticking with what I got! Im tempted to still get a affordable MVS multicart if one comes across my path one of these days though!

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted a Neo Geo CD but I already have a consolized MVS system and a decent number of carts and the CD system got much more expensive by the time I looked into it.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
There's even a XenoCrisis port to the NGCD lol

shop.bitmapbureau.com

Xeno Crisis - Neo Geo CD

Order Xeno Crisis for the Neo Geo CD system on a high quality pressed CD, complete with colour instruction booklet and presented in a shrink wrapped jewel case with spine card. Multi-region and playable on all Neo Geo CD consoles including the top-loader, front-loader and CDZ. Xeno Crisis is an...

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I've got a CD and a CDZ, and I like them. The load times aren't great, but I think they're reasonable on the CDZ. Would getting an MVS be a better experience? Yes, but there's something that I had to consider: space. Those MVS games aren't exactly small.

If I had one criticism of the system in addition to the load times, it's that SNK slightly knobbled the sound hardware compared to the MVS/AES. It's a small change, and one that has very little impact on sound effects, but it basically meant that the games had to use CD streamed soundtracks even if there would have been enough free RAM to run chiptunes.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Fatal Fury 3 is my favorite. KoF 94, Samurai Shodown 1 and 2 were also very good.

Too bad SNK doesn't own the rights on those anymore, they can't be included in the DJ Station of KoF15, that's a shame.
You were not kidding. Found some of them on YT. Wow.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I've got a CDZ, the top loader. I bought the Furtek ODE which helps immensly with load times. Due to this I use it more than my AES.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Its a 16 bit system loading data trying to fill 7 MB of RAM. Of course loading performance was going to be worse than a 32 bit system with half the RAM.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I got myself a Neo Geo mini International and I transferred all the roms off of it onto my Analogue Pocket for FPGA play.

I'd definitely like to pick up one of the 8bitdo controllers to use with it, but the trouble is it's far too cumbersome to use authentic controllers for every console I use with the Pocket. What I wish 8bitdo would come out with is some sort of controller selector switch: Something you can connect all their controllers to that lets you select with a switch which one you'd like to use as the primary input, and links to a gaming device via a single wireless dongle.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its a 16 bit system loading data trying to fill 7 MB of RAM. Of course loading performance was going to be worse than a 32 bit system with half the RAM.
And boy does it show. I get them wanting a cheaper alternative to the Neo Geo at the time but this was absolutely awful for certain 2D fighters (again, KOF).... Im amazed they supported it as long as they did...

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I have a working single speed unit. I bought it specifically so I could play Viewpoint on original hardware "affordably", which ended up being about $270 total. The load times are fine for a game like that. It takes just under a minute to load Viewpoint and it won't load again.

Old crappy videos of load time and me playing the game on original hardware through a RetroTink2x.

www.youtube.com

Neo CD Viewpoint Load Time

From start button to initial game boot up on a Neo Geo CD unit for Viewpoint.

www.youtube.com

Viewpoint on Neo Geo CD via RetroTINK-2x

Stick around to the end for a closer look at the screen in demo mode.The RetroTINK-2x is a line doubler that allows you to play your composite, component, or...