mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
djmaxrespectbannermdsqc.png

A lot of fans already imported the Asian or Japanese version of the game. However, for those who waited and newcomers alike, I created this thread to create some buzz prior to release.

Official thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/djmax-respect-ot-press-dj-for-max-respect.388/

What's DJMAX?
The game is an action-rhythm video game series created by Korean company Neowiz MUCA. The game features mostly experimental music and visual art from Korean DJs, artists and composers. Artists from other countries have also collaborated to the series as well.

The game includes a total of 146 songs -- new and from across all the past series installments. It's the best package for existing fans and newcomers alike.

Quick info:

When?
March 6.

Digital only?

Sadly, yes.

Price?
Probably $40. Nobody knows yet.

Do I need another plastic instrument?
Not really. Game was made with the DualShock controller in mind.

Hey, what if I want another plastic instrument?
There are a few available by 3rd parties: EZMAX, Virgoo Fever, etc. Hell, you can use your fight stick if you want.

Is it difficult?
Difficulty can vary -- you can use 4 buttons, 5 buttons, 6 buttons, or 8 buttons modes.

Isn't this Beatmania IIDX?
No... Maybe... Hey, what's that over there?!

Anything else I need to know?
It has: Local Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer, Online Rankings, Alpacas, Power Rangers, Zombies...

Media

West announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2OAb9Yor4s

Example of using a Dual Shock controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvipHSTxrY

Example of using a 3rd party controller:
- EZMAX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nBywepna0w
- Virgoo Fever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrcAhlaxzSw

djmaxpillowfrs8o.png

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that the DLC was compatible with my HK version

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I would like to know if a Beatmania IIDX PS2 controller with a Brook PS2-PS4 Adapter works well with this.

OP
OP
mztik

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for making this thread, I was literally thinking of making a hype-check or an info thread just now.

No problem. Hopefully this will get the game some exposure until your official thread is revived.

I'm basically new to the series. I've played Technika in the arcades before, but this will be my first game in the series to own.

OP
OP
mztik

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I would like to know if a Beatmania IIDX PS2 controller with a Brook PS2-PS4 Adapter works well with this.

There are videos on YouTube of people playing with their IIDX controllers, either using USB or PS2-to-PS4 adapters. I will probably be using my DJ DAO FP7, but I can't deny I would love to have that EZMAX or the Virgoo Fever controller.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Who is publishing this in the west ?
I played a lot o DJ Max in the Vita (PSP game).

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was too bad at this to play it at anything above 4 track.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
Feel like I'm the only one I know that even talks about this series lol. Loved the games since the PSP.

OP
OP
mztik

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Even resetera doesn't seem to be fond of the series or rythm games for that matter. Not much discussion for either DJMax or Bemani games. *Sigh*

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
Even resetera doesn't seem to be fond of the series or rythm games for that matter. Not much discussion for either DJMax or Bemani games. *Sigh*

Alas, most people who wanted to play the game have already imported the Korean version already. And Bemani...that's been dead for a long time. Unless you live near a Round1 arcade you're out of luck. The last home console relase of any game has been nearly a decade ago.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
This game is absolutely fantastic - I bought it a few weeks ago off the japanese store before the western release date was announced, which was kinda foolish of me really, but it was so worth it. It just plays so well, most of the songs are so good and the amount of content there for the price is insane. It's definitely a very difficult game, especially if you aren't used to rhythm games, but personally I feel as if Respect is more welcoming than DJMax Portable (or whatever the one that released in the UK PSN store was called).

Some of the maps seem more forgiving this time around for some reason, I dunno if it's because they've added some new, easier variants in or if I've just improved from when I played it on PSP, but it still feels better. A lot of videos online only really show off the incredibly difficult, finger breaking songs, but it's worth bearing in mind that there are four levels of difficulty in the game, and every song tends to have at least two unique maps for each of those, so it doesn't exactly throwing you in at the deep end. The game can be insane if you want it to be, but there's no reason you can't just stick to 4 Button mode (like me :p)

I bought the Trilogy and Clazziquai DLC packs today and almost every single song I've played from them so far is top tier; and the best part is, there're still even more DLC packs to come! The final song count for this game is gonna be crazy - there're already more than 200 songs in total with the DLC.

If anyone's interested, here're a few videos of gameplay from the easier difficulties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Hko3P4PQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsAgZrya_wA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYQESbdfQ0

Last edited:

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Neowiz!
The game will release for $49.99.
$50? Was kinda hoping for $40 seeing it is digital only but I'll take it. Glad I decided to hold off on an import to finish off some of my backlog since I won't be getting around to anything else for a while. Mainly because this'll be all I play the next few months.

Oh, it's $50? Neat, loaded $60 just to be safe & was kind of hoping for $40, but I'm content with that. Can use the rest for DLC, which I hope we get a schedule & pricing soon.

They said that all the DLC released in Asia so far will be out by the end of March. No comment on the price though.

Last edited:

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Checked PSN still no pre-order up for it. Gonna grab this on the 6th, I didn't have a chance to import it since I was in the middle of a move and I really wanna play this.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Time goes so quick from that Western release announcement!! Already destroyed most of the game with still quite a few things to do, especially the DLC's (999,999 combo felt gooood). I might have to get back into it and start streaming or something... I need my daily dose of Blythe and The Clear Blue Sky.

Did they say it was gonna be released digitally in Europe as well??

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait, been dying to play djmax again for a long time but my psp can't hold a charge cause the battery bloated. Gonna put in a lot of time when I get it.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
This is one of the best home rhythm game releases of the past decade. There's so much content, a lot of DLC, and a lot of...well, RESPECT for the source material and the modern content.

It's time for the West to get some Emotional Sense.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
They said that all the DLC released in Asia so far will be out by the end of March. No comment on the price though.
Oh that's right, we're suppose to get both Trilogy (which was about 1500 yen in Japan) & Clazziquai (about 2000 yen), then the Guilty Gear pack (500 yen) in a single month. So I guess here, it'll be about $15, $20, & $5 for each of those packs to match the Japanese pricing considering the game is 4800 yen, or $50ish.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Should be considering they put a post up on the European Playstation Blog. At least this isn't going to be the colossal fuck up that was the Technika Tune launch.
Ahhh I see... Technika Tune launch was messed up (it never came out in Europe for sure) but I swear Neowiz were going through a whole load of BS back in those days.

Once Black Square DLC arrives, RESPECT will be one of the GOAT. Looking forward to more people playing.

OP
OP
mztik

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This is one of the best home rhythm game releases of the past decade. There's so much content, a lot of DLC, and a lot of...well, RESPECT for the source material and the modern content.

I honestly agree. Kinda sad in this day and age. So many good rhythm series out there don't get amazing package treatment like this. I could only wish Konami was nice and respected fans enough to do more CS releases with all the Bemani games out now on arcade.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna double dip just to support them. Buy this game everyone! Best rhythm game released this gen

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Damn , this thread reminded me , that i was intrested..
Seems like it's full of content . I might buy it.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'll be buying this.

Do the DLC packs just contain songs or do they add additional DJs, notes, challenges, etc as well?

Honestly I'm mostly excited to get my old DJ Max Portable 1 and 2 songs back again. I miss Oblivion and a load of other songs. It'll be great checking out songs I haven't heard/seen before, though.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
I'll be buying this.

Do the DLC packs just contain songs or do they add additional DJs, notes, challenges, etc as well?

Honestly I'm mostly excited to get my old DJ Max Portable 1 and 2 songs back again. I miss Oblivion and a load of other songs. It'll be great checking out songs I haven't heard/seen before, though.
additional skins, reskin the entire game, new challenges

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be buying this.

Main menu themes, missions, gears, and notes, from what I can tell. Examples:

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Still hasitate to get this. I only play DJMax on portable so I'm not sure how it feel to play with DS4.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Looks like it's finally time to grab a PS4. Not joking lol. I had no idea this was coming to America, nice! It's a shame Konami stopped making CS versions of IIDX but this'll do just fine.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Still need to buy that Clazziquai pack
Clazziquai is the weakest DLC so far, the only new Respect song is fantastic though.
Still hasitate to get this. I only play DJMax on portable so I'm not sure how it feel to play with DS4.
It'll take some time if you were playing portable and ps4 version back to back, or else you should be fine!
Looks like it's finally time to grab a PS4. Not joking lol. I had no idea this was coming to America, nice! It's a shame Konami stopped making CS versions of IIDX but this'll do just fine.
Honestly I think it'll be worth it. Plus you have superbeat xonic etc if you're into rhythm games.
It's a fantastic game.

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
As a fan of Superbeat Xonic, I would like to buy this, but 2 things are cruicial for me:
Can you calibrate input settings?
And regarding gameplay mechanics:
I played one PSP game out of the DJ Max games, that was fever iirc and it lets you hit every button you want to hit every note ... it was weird and I lost interest after less than an hour.
Some people said there was some kind of patented gameplay mechanic or what not, so that they could not use the "normal" mechanics. I hope someone here knows what I mean and that the mechanics are like they should be, not this "hit what you want" stuff. ;-)

Ah, one more thing: Can someone compare the difficulty to SBXonic?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of Superbeat Xonic, I would like to buy this, but 2 things are cruicial for me:
Can you calibrate input settings?
And regarding gameplay mechanics:
I played one PSP game out of the DJ Max games, that was fever iirc and it lets you hit every button you want to hit every note ... it was weird and I lost interest after less than an hour.
Some people said there was some kind of patented gameplay mechanic or what not, so that they could not use the "normal" mechanics. I hope someone here knows what I mean and that the mechanics are like they should be, not this "hit what you want" stuff. ;-)

Ah, one more thing: Can someone compare the difficulty to SBXonic?
That weird "correction" thing from Fever is gone, it was removed when Portable 3 was released & it's not in here.

As for Xonic & difficulty, it's....kind of similar? Both have difficulty settings where you go from 4 buttons to 6 buttons to 8 buttons, except in DJMAX, you have a middle ground with 5 buttons, & it's left/top/right instead of top/left or right/bottom like in Xonic with what you press on the d-pad & shape buttons. I feel like overall, though, DJMAX is the more difficult game overall since it allows for more charts for each # button difficulty & the UI makes it so more notes can be displayed at once.

From what I've heard, yes, there's calibration settings.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
last thing i need to get over $100 for the $15 back so ill be angry as heck if this gets delayed for some reason!!

loved the dj max games on psp so it'll be nice to go back to some of the old stuff again

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ah! Can't wait! Discovered this game a few weeks ago when I walked into a small game shop in NYC where the trailer for this was playing on one of the TVs in the back. I'll certainly be picking it up when it releases!

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun 'yall. I've been playing it consistently since it released last July. It's a 5/5 game. Perfect package.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, kind of wish we got a demo earlier & it'll probably come out tomorrow in the US.

How many songs are in the demo? 11, based on that screenshot?