• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta choose VF2 for the tight gameplay, razor-sharp graphics, fast/smooth framerate, awesome soundtrack, and a bit of nostalgia. I'm more of a 2D Capcom kinda guy, but man, VF2 on the Saturn was downright amazing at the time.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I still pop in my copy of KOF 95' about once a year just to get the Psycho Solider credits song.

hqdefault.jpg

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
So many great memories of Saturn fighters, despite never owning a Saturn myself. Would spend some summers in Isfahan, and a kid I knew there had a PC with a pirate copy of Last Bronx installed (I was psyched to play it after seeing adverts in my Spider-Man comics). I'd never seen tonka before and thought they were so cool.

In the summer of '99 as i was getting hyped for the Dreamcast i was in Manchester, England, and a friend of mine had a PlayStation and a Saturn. We ended up spending nearly all our time on the Saturn, playing King of Fighters '95 with the 4MB memory expansion cartridge and Virtua Fighter 2 until I had callouses on my thumbs for months afterwards.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many awesome choices. FMM, Last Bronx, and VF2 were standouts for me. FMM was so fun to play with friends and LB blew me away at the time.

Oct 26, 2017
When I was in high school there was a Japanese dude that bought over his Sega Saturn and had this weird ass fighter called "Ninku" that was a mix of 2D and 3D. Completely forgettable game, I don't think it ever saw a western release.

Oh crap, I found a video;

I've never seen this before and I unironically love the look of it.

I'm happy to see plenty of Last Bronk appreciation here. The thing I loved about that game wa how meaty the impacts were, when you did a leg sweep on somebody it really did feel like you were kicking somebody's legs out from under them. The "thwack" sounds were awesome.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Fighters Megamix and Darkstalkers 3 were my jam. Love them both.
But the saturn has a large number of other excellent fighters too.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I've never seen this before and I unironically love the look of it.

Honestly it doesn't look bad, there are lots of 3D backgrounds and there is a fair bit of 2D animation. It's just nothing outstanding when it comes to gameplay or design, no memorable characters and by the number mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, it is not Primal Rage bad or Kasumi Ninja bad, more like Battle Arena Toshinden average.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today, I'd say Fighters Megamix. There are better ways to play most of the games that were ported.

At the time, I think I'd either go with Virtua Fighter 2 or Vampire Savior. It's a tough call.

Last edited:

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
really close between street fighter alpha and virtua fighter 2. guess i'll go with virtua fighter 2 since i also played alpha on the arcades a lot.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in high school there was a Japanese dude that bought over his Sega Saturn and had this weird ass fighter called "Ninku" that was a mix of 2D and 3D. Completely forgettable game, I don't think it ever saw a western release.

Man, this is something else. At least the music is cool

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't know this existed, wild! I actually have a Game Boy game based on the same anime that I bought used at a... k-mart??? in the 90s.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Janet is otherwise fucking awesome, however, because she's actually Aoi from VF3. Besides the obvious gun move, she has Aoi's moveset. The secret to FMM is that it's quietly a port of VF3 for many characters. Characters like Jacky have their entire VF3 moveset in the game, which makes them play radically different from VF2.
FMM also had music from VF3. I think it was Sega's "this is kinda VF3 for y'all but not so enjoy!"

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I didn´t get to play many fighting games on the system at the time, but I love threads like these, so many gems I´d never heard about.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Oh man I love my Saturn and it was almost exclusively a fighting game machine.
X-Men Vs Street Fighter and KoF 97 hold my fondest memories. I imported them at great cost, as well as Vampire Saviour and Pocket Fighter.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
It would be X-Men vs Street Fighter as that is like one of my most fav fighting games ever in general! But I never really got that import on Saturn until well after my main days playing the system so the truth would be:

2D: X-Men Children of the Atom
3D: Figthers Megamix

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
My favorite one has changed over the decades, so probably I'd pick FMM or SFA 2 Gold today. Here is what I recently wrote about Megamix , it really holds up and to me is as fun as ever. http://www.sega-16.com/2018/07/fighters-megamix/

Waxing on a bit, a lot of these Saturn fighters were incredibly exciting when they were released. Seeing VF at home , and then VF Remix, was incredible. I love the high definition SOUND in these 2 games. As soon as VF boots up to the character screen, you can feel the Sega arcade goodness because of that music.

Then VF2 hit and it seemed to be on a more powerful console in comparison! Wow, buttery smooth animation and fantastic fast gameplay. We played this for hours , days, weeks and never got sick of it.

But the 2D Capcom SF Alpha games were also so exciting because (gasp!), arcade perfect! I loved Alpha 2. I also had the two VS games which were mind blowing with the 4Mb cart.

And ... Saturn controller was the best!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So many good choices. This one's a little unconventional, but Virtual On takes it for me. With Twin Sticks of course

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Sad we never had Fighters Megamix. Didn't that game have movesets from VF 3?

Outside of the Alpha series I only played one but don't remember the name. You could play as different monsters. Don't think I'd put it as best though.
I remember such a game where the energy bars were candlesticks. Maybe that? Can't remember the name though.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
I never knew there was a classic fighting game with a fucking Nascar as a playable fighter. I want a Saturn just to play this shit. Fighters Megamix looks bad ass. Thank you this thread.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Here's another Japanese oddity D-Xhird.

It features a lighting/shader system with a gourad shaded look and a character that had a transparent polygonal skirt, which is probably achieved with a half color sample blend. Generally transparencies are hard to pull off in 3D on the Saturn.

Never seen this outside of Japan

Edit - Reading up on it, the game is apparently terrible and made by the same team who made BA:Toshinden

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Primarily because they weren't released on subsequent generations of more powerful hardware, is the Saturn home to the best ports of

X-Men: Children of the Atom
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

(Are there any others?)

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I very recently got to play several fighters on the Saturn, I quite liked Last Bronx which I had never heard about before. I had been wanting to try Fighting Vipers ever since I saw the ad on tv as a kid, but I really don't get what's good about it ? Movesets are limited and not very interesting, and the characters are among the most distasteful I've seen in a 3D fighter...

Fighters Megamix seemed cool but I didn't spend much time with it. From what little I played, it looked like VF2 and FV smashed together, but I know there's more to it.

I played Marvel Super Heroes as well which looked and played pretty nice, and from what I read it's supposedly one of the best Marvel fighters, so I'm a bit surprised to not see it mentioned here (unless I missed it).

I'll be honest, VF2 hasn't aged well for me at all (it was the very first 3D game I played as a kid and had later gotten it on PC so I knew about it already). I have no interest in playing it now.

Last edited:

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Well... it's gotta be Street Fighter Alpha 2, on account of it being the best fighting game ever made that also happens to be on Saturn. It's a nice port and those SEGA arcade joysticks make this a real banger.

Oct 27, 2017
SF vs X-Men ! My friends and I would play that game for entire weekends. Having a competent tag fighter on a home console was just unbelievable at the time.