• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
okay GUYS I've got one here that has driven me crazy for going on about 4 years now, maybe a little longer.

I never got to play the actual game itself so I have absolutely no idea what it actually is, but I remember the box art for it (albeit vaguely?)

So the box was one of those large PC game boxes, and this would have been either very late 90s or early 2000s that my parents had this box sitting on the computer's shelves.

The box itself had these circus characters on it, and I distinctly remember one of them was a clown. The clown was kind of cartoony looking but still looked a little warped and scary, so I don't know if this was some kind of horror game or something?

The actual art style of the box had that really early 3D rendered kind of look to it, with flat shiny textures on the characters.

I also seem to remember that some element of the background had a black and white checkered floor? It might have been set in a kitchen or something like that?

The characters on the box might have even been toys.

Lastly, I can't recall but the game may have been linked to Sold Out Software in some capacity, but looking through the entire Sold Out catalogue I couldn't seem to find this game ever being mentioned there, so I might be misremembering (we weren't a very well-off household, so most of our games were reprints via Sold Out).

Any ideas at all?? This has driven me crazy for years and years now and no amount of searching has helped me find the box art that I so vividly remember.
Twisted Metal?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I am trying to think of a Genesis game that was also most likely a coin-op arcade game as well.

The game was side scrolling action, late 80s-style war setting. Both you and your enemies have machine guns, bazookas, knives, etc. I'm sure it was some arcade during the 1988-1990 time frame and released on Mega Drive/Genesis sometime during 1990 and 1991.

Overall, the game looks plays kinda like Rush 'N Attack on NES (and arcade) but with 16-bit graphics, which even the arcade version of Rush 'N Attack does not have.

The first level is a jungle with several layers of parallax backgrounds featuring gray clouds.

I need the title of this game, not only so I can play the Genesis version again but more importantly, see and play the arcade version of this game that I am 99% certain exists.

Edit: It's not Dynamite Duke, which was closer to a first person perspective, but it's from that era.

Sounds a lot like Thunder Fox

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
okay GUYS I've got one here that has driven me crazy for going on about 4 years now, maybe a little longer.

I never got to play the actual game itself so I have absolutely no idea what it actually is, but I remember the box art for it (albeit vaguely?)

So the box was one of those large PC game boxes, and this would have been either very late 90s or early 2000s that my parents had this box sitting on the computer's shelves.

The box itself had these circus characters on it, and I distinctly remember one of them was a clown. The clown was kind of cartoony looking but still looked a little warped and scary, so I don't know if this was some kind of horror game or something?

The actual art style of the box had that really early 3D rendered kind of look to it, with flat shiny textures on the characters.

I also seem to remember that some element of the background had a black and white checkered floor? It might have been set in a kitchen or something like that?

Lastly, I can't recall but the game may have been linked to Sold Out Software in some capacity, but looking through the entire Sold Out catalogue I couldn't seem to find this game ever being mentioned there, so I might be misremembering (we weren't a very well-off household, so most of our games were reprints via Sold Out).

Any ideas at all?? This has driven me crazy for years and years now and no amount of searching has helped me find the box art that I so vividly remember.
Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child had some different art depending on what platform it was for, Dreamcast and PC art were very different. There was also some 3D video thing on VHS which had similar artwork to the PC version I think. Probably not it, but it was around the right time.
There was also an earlier game called Harlequin by Gremlin Graphics but I think that was on the Amiga and Atari ST only.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sounds a lot like Thunder Fox

Holy shit, I looked Thunder Fox up on youtube, both Genesis and arcade, that is exactly the game I was thinking of!

Thank you, I can enjoy the arcade version of this game now. I never owned the Genesis version back in the day, otherwise I would have remembered. I only saw 1-2 previews of it in magazines. I did play the Genesis version much later, around 2000 or so (20 years ago!) when I first got into emulation.

Anyway, for those who are curious, this is the game:

Arcade longplay

Mega Drive / Genesis longplay

GOk7jKU.jpg

CIGCOzD.jpg

Electronic Gaming Monthly issue 24, July 1991
gCpQIsb.jpg

a21ZKPQ.jpg

40XbVa8.jpg

review of arcade version on MAME.

Today's MAME review is for Thunder Fox on the Taito F2 Arcade hardware. It was a side scrolling action game made in 1990 which was ported to Sega Genesis/Megadrive as well as PS2, Xbox and Pc in the Taito Legends collection

Edit: Thunder Fox is on Taito's F1 System Hardware, not F2

youtube comment:
gamemaster14neo said:
7 years ago
The arcade hardware of the time was much more advanced then the game consoles so usually the console port was not nearly as good as the arcade but usually they made a halfway decent version.

Edit: Since it's a Taito 16-bit arcade game, it's interesting to know what hardware Thunder Fox ran on. Well, it was the same main board as Metal Black, however System16.com said in their notes:

4ZwKci3.jpg

System 16 - Taito F1 System Hardware (Taito)

System16 - The Arcade Museum. Detailed Hardware information on Arcade Hardware and Systems.

Edit: 2: ThunderFox is available on Taito Legends 1 (PS2. Xbox. Windows PC) and also on Japanese PS2 on "Taito Memories II Gekan"

Edit: 3 While ThunderFox is not a unique game by any means, and many games like it existed before its arcade release in 1990, it's noteworthy because unlike earlier efforts, many of which looked 8-bit (even in arcades) or "barely 16-bit" ThunderFox looked like it might be home on the SNK Neo Geo MVS / AES in 1990/1991, like some of its early titles like Nam-1975, Cyber-Lip, Ninja Combat, etc. It had nice 16-bit graphics where they clearly blow a lot of that visual POW on the first level.

Edit 4: Too Long Didn't Read -
If Rush 'n Attack (aka Green Beret) in arcades and on the Famicom/NES is like Double Dragon 1 arcade/NES, then ThunderFox is to Rush 'n Attack/Green Beret what Final Fight is like to Double Dragon in terms of graphics and audio.

Further reading on the arcade + MD/Genesis versions:

Thunder Fox – Hardcore Gaming 101

Last edited:

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
There was some PC game from like 1995-2005, it was like an isometric kind of rpg and you start in some castle area. I remember you had a health and mana bar that were short and vertical at the bottom of the screen. I remember the game was separated into like 5 or 6 "books". But thats about all i remember offhand. Ring any bells?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe Pandemonium or Pandemonium 2?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe a Kyrandia game?

6ae285bdbd7c0fed365fa6e818d99a12.jpg

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
There was some PC game from like 1995-2005, it was like an isometric kind of rpg and you start in some castle area. I remember you had a health and mana bar that were short and vertical at the bottom of the screen. I remember the game was separated into like 5 or 6 "books". But thats about all i remember offhand. Ring any bells?

Silver perhaps?

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
What's the name of a game that I use to play in the arcade i know there was a lv that was in a carnival and the enemies were clowns it was a beatem up like double dragon.

Oct 30, 2017

This is a long shot, but maybe it was Gearheads, and the 'clown' was the Santa being shocked.

2S7n29u.jpg

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

Was is any of these?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

That might well be Mystic Towers.

HXsXfCM.png

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
I can't find any images or names or companies but I used to play this PC game at my after school club, this must have been between 2004-2009 but obviously the game could have come out at any point before that because it was probably donated. You could make your own 2d platforming levels and you played as like a little egg type character but I think it was a 3d model, I have no idea what it was called, any ideas?

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I vaguely remember playing a demo of an Atari ST game from a magazine cover disc. I think it featured wizards and it was some sort of arcade puzzle game. The character was at the bottom of the screen and there was a grid/playfield above or possibly two side by side as it could have been 2-player. I also remember the music being catchy and the phrase "said the great priest".

Anyone?

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember playing a demo of an Atari ST game from a magazine cover disc. I think it featured wizards and it was some sort of arcade puzzle game. The character was at the bottom of the screen and there was a grid/playfield above or possibly two side by side as it could have been 2-player. I also remember the music being catchy and the phrase "said the great priest".

Anyone?
not sure about this but it made me think of wiz 'n' liz :

Serein

Mar 7, 2018

It wasn't Wiz n Liz. I know it isn't much to go on and I can't actually be sure I'm not mixing up a couple of other games or that it was even fully released. It was definitely on a magazine cover disc and wasn't the full game I played.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't Wiz n Liz. I know it isn't much to go on and I can't actually be sure I'm not mixing up a couple of other games or that it was even fully released. It was definitely on a magazine cover disc and wasn't the full game I played.

I wonder if there's a possibility it could be Boston Bomb Club:

I'm sure there's another puzzle game as well which features a figure looking down onto the playfield, but I can't quite remember it right now.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anyone?
Solomon's Key?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys but it isn't either of those. I'm taking my brain trying to think of anything else that might help.

Those are two rather different games in structural terms - Solomon's Key is fundamentally a platformer, while Boston Bomb Club is a 2D top-down view onto a grid. With the talk of "the wizard at the bottom", it's a little tricky to comprehend the perspective of the game, hence why mine had the characters looking down over the board whereas Solomon's Key has a wizard character who is actually controlled in the world (and presumably generally starts at the bottom of the screen, which still fits your description). Can you clarify which of those two it is, or something we're not thinking of?

Serein

Mar 7, 2018

Those are two rather different games in structural terms - Solomon's Key is fundamentally a platformer, while Boston Bomb Club is a 2D top-down view onto a grid. With the talk of "the wizard at the bottom", it's a little tricky to comprehend the perspective of the game, hence why mine had the characters looking down over the board whereas Solomon's Key has a wizard character who is actually controlled in the world (and presumably generally starts at the bottom of the screen, which still fits your description). Can you clarify which of those two it is, or something we're not thinking of?
Thanks for the help guys but I think I've got it.

This was driving me nuts so when I got back from work I searched for ST magazine cover discs with Google in the hope something might jog my memory. Eventually I got to ST Action and I'm pretty sure that the game I'm thinking of is Brain Blasters:

ZL6pkJ3J_o.png

I'm too tired just now but I'll fire it up on an emulator tomorrow to confirm but I'm fairly certain this is the game.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help guys but I think I've got it.

This was driving me nuts so when I got back from work I searched for ST magazine cover discs with Google in the hope something might jog my memory. Eventually I got to ST Action and I'm pretty sure that the game I'm thinking of is Brain Blasters:

ZL6pkJ3J_o.png

I'm too tired just now but I'll fire it up on an emulator tomorrow to confirm but I'm fairly certain this is the game.

Hah, I looked at that when browsing Mobygames but discounted it because I couldn't see it fitting much of what you described!

Arenow

Jun 10, 2020
This one has been haunting me for a decade. It was an arcade action platformer game from the 90's where the main character looked pretty much like a fake young Goku with a drawn ring in the middle of the Gi, you shoot energy balls to the enemies and I'm pretty sure there were power ups, levels and final bosses. I would bet there was a 2 player option as well.
Any ideas?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
This one has been haunting me for a decade. It was an arcade action platformer game from the 90's where the main character looked pretty much like a fake young Goku with a drawn ring in the middle of the Gi, you shoot energy balls to the enemies and I'm pretty sure there were power ups, levels and final bosses. I would bet there was a 2 player option as well.
Any ideas?

Thunder Hoop ?

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There was a Zelda style game on PC, it may have been a Zelda fan game I don't know. All I remember about it was that it was top down with "realistic" pre-rendered graphics. It kind of looked like Zelda's Adventure for CD-I but it was on PC and I don't recall it being emulation. Time period is somewhere between 1999-2001 I guess. Zelda Classic was pretty big on PC at the time.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a Zelda style game on PC, it may have been a Zelda fan game I don't know. All I remember about it was that it was top down with "realistic" pre-rendered graphics. It kind of looked like Zelda's Adventure for CD-I but it was on PC and I don't recall it being emulation. Time period is somewhere between 1999-2001 I guess. Zelda Classic was pretty big on PC at the time.
This probably isn't it but Silver came to mind:

silver2.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Dink Smallwood?

Yij9fQr.png

Entomorph?

lLVbpDV.png

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse?

m5Jlidv.png

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dink Smallwood?

Yij9fQr.png

Entomorph?

lLVbpDV.png

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse?

m5Jlidv.png

None of these. I remember it looking very similar to Zelda's Adventure

LY0v5J0hmkTRhlc12hT315aoujrDaeaHWxUOvHDqmum2gErPrzkroWjx1nKPhTogCwaItcIRLHs2LoBix1w3jcnWfcHu31AIeMob_FTJXDHoRig7SfjPzgXYAKDuFCVSbxE3bQW3PFLT

I've never played Zelda's Adventure and didn't even know it existed at that time. It's possible it was ZA that I played but I am 99% sure it wasn't an emulation. This was a native Windows exe.

It could have been a Zelda fan game? I remember playing a lot of Zelda Classic at the time.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
This one comes from a friend, so details might be a little bit more scarce. He recently told me that he wants to find a game that their parents used to play when he was a kid. We're talking late 90's / early 00's. It was an FPS for the Mac, and all he can remember that it was kinda sci-fi in aesthetic, and that it was set in some sort of cave in which there was a slime that scared him so much that prompted him to close the game immediatly. Also, I jokingly sent him a screenshot of Chex Quest and he told me that the aesthetic was definetely the opposite of that, it was somewhat realistic.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one comes from a friend, so details might be a little bit more scarce. He recently told me that he wants to find a game that their parents used to play when he was a kid. We're talking late 90's / early 00's. It was an FPS for the Mac, and all he can remember that it was kinda sci-fi in aesthetic, and that it was set in some sort of cave in which there was a slime that scared him so much that prompted him to close the game immediatly. Also, I jokingly sent him a screenshot of Chex Quest and he told me that the aesthetic was definetely the opposite of that, it was somewhat realistic.
It could be a Bungie game, maybe something from the Marathon series. Here's Marathon: Infinity:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This never came out, at least I don't think it has. It was a few years ago, it was a supposed PS4 exclusive (just because the developer wanted to make it exclusive, not because Sony had any involvement). I want to say it was from a European dev. I want to say it might have been mystery or horror oriented, and there was maybe some winter / cold imagery.

Been bugging me that I can't remember and googling doesn't help.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
This never came out, at least I don't think it has. It was a few years ago, it was a supposed PS4 exclusive (just because the developer wanted to make it exclusive, not because Sony had any involvement). I want to say it was from a European dev. I want to say it might have been mystery or horror oriented, and there was maybe some winter / cold imagery.

Been bugging me that I can't remember and googling doesn't help.
WILD?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Pathways Into Darkness?

I can't remember any slime in the Marathon games, but it's been a long time.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
It was probably a GBC game but could also be one of the more esoteric handhelds just as well, because I played it on an emulator.

The game was basically a track & field game (mash buttons to win) but with a "life sim" portion added. I remember you could improve your stats and also talk with different characters and buy stuff in the city. Like in the modern Personas.

I've been looking for this for ages and couldn't find it. It is possible that I played with a fan translation of some sort and it was a JP only game?

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
It was probably a GBC game but could also be one of the more esoteric handhelds just as well, because I played it on an emulator.

The game was basically a track & field game (mash buttons to win) but with a "life sim" portion added. I remember you could improve your stats and also talk with different characters and buy stuff in the city. Like in the modern Personas.

I've been looking for this for ages and couldn't find it. It is possible that I played with a fan translation of some sort and it was a JP only game?
Sounds kind of like Crash 'n the Boys Street Challenge. I don't think it had a GBC port but it looks like it might've gotten a regular game boy port - maybe Japan only.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I was watching a video that had footage of Cannon Fodder and I was like "oh man I remember this game!" Except I guess I didn't, because I was thinking of an arcade game. I tried looking into it and thought, well maybe I'm thinking of General Chaos... but the graphics don't look right to me? Does anybody know of an arcade game similar to these, I want to say with graphics more advanced than Cannon Fodder but in the same style perhaps? I can particularly remember going through a forest and slowing down in shallow water, which is actually a complaint I see about Cannon Fodder so that just confused me more.

There's another one I've tried asking about in this thread or previous incarnations on the old place many years ago but may as well try again. I don't remember much but...

I played in the late 90s on my PC, I may have only had a Shareware disc with it. It was 2D (edit: overhead third person) with nice big sprites, in my mind there's a similar masculine tone to it like Duke Nukem, but not as crude. I think the levels were extremely large, as I recall going around a plain desert setting with a fence and I couldn't figure out where to go. It was a shooter, I vaguely recall having a "minigun" weapon. It was on an alien planet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a video that had footage of Cannon Fodder and I was like "oh man I remember this game!" Except I guess I didn't, because I was thinking of an arcade game. I tried looking into it and thought, well maybe I'm thinking of General Chaos... but the graphics don't look right to me? Does anybody know of an arcade game similar to these, I want to say with graphics more advanced than Cannon Fodder but in the same style perhaps? I can particularly remember going through a forest and slowing down in shallow water, which is actually a complaint I see about Cannon Fodder so that just confused me more.

There's another one I've tried asking about in this thread or previous incarnations on the old place many years ago but may as well try again. I don't remember much but...

I played in the late 90s on my PC, I may have only had a Shareware disc with it. It was 2D with nice big sprites, in my mind there's a similar masculine tone to it like Duke Nukem, but not as crude. I think the levels were extremely large, as I recall going around a plain desert setting with a fence and I couldn't figure out where to go. It was a shooter, I vaguely recall having a "minigun" weapon. It was on an alien planet.
The second game sounds somewhat like Chasm (Blake Stone also came to mind but that's probably too old and I don't recall a desert).

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
The second game sounds somewhat like Chasm (Blake Stone also came to mind but that's probably too old and I don't recall a desert).

My bad, I forgot to mention it's a top down third person game, too! I edited my initial post. Edit again: or maybe isometric or something. I feel like the camera was static and maybe there was no screen scrolling?

Last edited: