• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Prompted by this tweet:

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1599055869869694979

PC_Engine_CD-ROM2_Interface_Unit.jpg

Behold the power of the briefcase!

The PC-Engine CD released 34 years ago today. This is what would be localized as the Turbografx-16 CD in North America. While it has a pretty beloved library, especially when factoring in the Japanese imports, the two most interesting factoids of the system is that it is not only the first game console to use CD-Rom as a media, but it is also the first device to offer CD-Rom games-- even before PC or Apple platforms.

Back in the 80s, limited storage sizes were probably one of the biggest hinderances for game development, CD-Rom was an alternative that gave what seemed to be limitless storage (at the time lol) to expand the scope of games, but also normalize voice acting/live music in games.

My personal first memory:

Ys Book I + II Intro

Due to YouTube embeds being wonky, here is a direct link.

Seeing this back in 1989 was like seeing something from the future. Full voice acting, awesome music! I couldn't believe my eyes and ears... My uncle was a huge fan of underdog game consoles and ended up having one of these instead of a Genesis/Mega Drive.

Though I had a Turbografx, I actually never got the CD system until I went to Japan in 2002.

My favorite game:

Dracula_x_%28j%29_front.jpg

Akumajou Dracula X: Rondo of Blood Intro

The first thing I purchased on my first trip to Japan was a PC-Engine & CD in the briefcase, just like in the linked image above. The small tatami room I was staying in had a little Sharp CRT beside the bed and I actually unboxed and played this while succumbing to jetlag in the early hours.

I felt like it was probably my favorite game ever, right then.

I still think it is.

I won't get into the whys & how, but I implore anyone that has an interest in action games or the Castlevania series in any way to play this game at your earliest convenience. It's one of those "sacred cows" that actually hold up to scrutiny.

Also the music whips ass (get it?):

Other notables:

The PC-Engine CD has so many notable installments, or originating titles, of legendary franchises in Japanese games that you'd probably be better served by actually looking at a list of the the library or finding a YouTube video that breaks down the library. These two are pretty good while giving historical context:

www.youtube.com

History of the Amazing PC ENGINE! [Book I]

Find out how Hudson and NEC's mighty little console took Japan by storm in the History of the Amazing PC Engine! [Book I] and became a best seller, crushing ...

www.youtube.com

THE PC ENGINE ROCKS! - Happy Console Gamer

PC Engine Review the TurboGrafx over hereLike the show? Support the show! Patreon us! https://www.patreon.com/happyconsolegamerSUBSCRIBE! and add me on Twitt...

Some titles I personally recommend are (I like shmups lol):

• Seirei Senshi Spriggan
  • Gate of Thunder
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Ys IV: Dawn of Ys
  • Sapphire
  • Gradius II: Goepher no Yabou
What are your favorite PC-Engine/Turbografx CD games? What memories do you have of the console?

Edit: Forgot to mention-- still the best add-on for a game console!

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I have always adored the eighties Japanese tech aesthetic of the CD-ROM². The weird name, "DIGITAL," "INTERFACE UNIT," it's all just so good.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many add-ons manage to surpass the base unit and become a console's dominant format? The PCE CD was that awesome.

I remember the first time seeing (and hearing) Ys Book I & II in store and being impressed with the technology. This was at Compucentre in 1990. The CD unit at launch was something like $600 CAD on top of the TG16 itself so I knew I wouldn't own one for a few years and some price drops.

Like with andy, Dracula X is my top game for the system.

One game that I really wanted to play when it was current but missed was Lords of Thunder. It became the first game I bought off ebay in 2001, and it lived up to the hype.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Was hella late to the party on this before the Mini outside of the rare ports like Rondo or Wii VC.

The mini got me into the library so deeply, I saved up and managed to get a Duo for a decent price. Been mostly just getting some of the inexpensive stuff but man, what a treat. I remember someone on Era saying the PC Engine in Japan was basically what the Genesis was to the US in terms of popularity, and I can totally see why. There was a point in time where this system didn't seem real to me outside of game magazines.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Was hella late to the party on this before the Mini outside of the rare ports like Rondo or Wii VC.

The mini got me into the library so deeply, I saved up and managed to get a Duo for a decent price. Been mostly just getting some of the inexpensive stuff but man, what a treat. I remember someone on Era saying the PC Engine in Japan was basically what the Genesis was to the US in terms of popularity, and I can totally see why. There was a point in time where this system didn't seem real to me outside of game magazines.

same, same.

i really have enjoyed the mini and would gladly buy a ver 2 with different games on it… not really knowing WHAT other games, just, more please.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember reading about it in magazines as a kid and it feeling like the future, but also that there was no way I'd be able to talk my parents into getting us one.

It wasn't until many years later I got a Turbo Duo and started collecting. It was largely in thanks to turbo games being released on the Wii VC that sparked those memories of wanting one back into existence. The fact that it was a system from around my favourite era of video games that I'd not yet experienced was/is just the best part about it. It was amazing discovering so many games or finally getting to play them.

Here is a shitty picture of my my small CD collection from over the years. Some North American releases, most not.
g2WuS3k.jpg

Lords of Thunder remains one of my favourites and probably always will.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gate of Thunder
Final Soldier
Ys III
Ys IV
Legendary Axe
Magical Chase
Cotton
Parodius Da!
Detana!! Twinbee
Son Son II
Sylphia
Valis (the remake of the first one)

There are honestly so many that it's getting exhausting to type this out lol
Also Devil's Crush, Shinobi, Super Raiden, Monster Lair, Gomola Speed, Download series, Psychic Storm, Terraforming, Aeroblasters, Coryoon, Kaze Kiri, Gekisha Boy, Avenger, etc.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017

/thread (great one by the way)

For me, memories of the TG16CD were at RadioShack seeing and hearing the Ys Book intro over and over again. It wasn't until 1994ish that I was able to borrow one from a highschool friend (he wanted my SNES with SF2 lol) and hearing the rest of the OST of the game. He also had Valis III whose OST was great at the time.

Of course, CastleVania was the highlight but the TG16 was great. For me, it was the alternative for the SNES in the 16-bit. I played more TG16 than Genesis at the time.

May 24, 2019
I wonder why people bought in to CDs for the PCE (most games were CD based by the end of it's life) and not for the Mega Drive.

Probably had to do with the PCE/TG16's user base being predominantly Japanese. Sega was more driven by the west who might be less inclined to get an expensive addon.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I wonder why people bought in to CDs for the PCE (most games were CD based by the end of it's life) and not for the Mega Drive.

The PC-Engine CD released in 88, nearly within a year of the Japanese launch, and development of games for it was prioritized over the Mega/Sega CD. Basically Japanese third parties that wanted to develop for CD were all-in on the PCE by the time Sega's released.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I still love the way the Duo looks. If Konami gave it the mini treatment I think I'd have no choice but to buy, even with the same games. 😓

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My most recent local PCE CD purchase is Road Spirits. I remember first seeing it in issue 1 of Super Gaming but couldn't tell from screenshots if it ran smoothly or not.

Super-Gaming-1-Summer-1991-U-0030.jpg

I still need to put more time into it. It's no Outrun but it seems pretty cool. It has a nice early '90s racing vibe with the music and graphics. And it's one of the cheapest games to buy on the system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwY1jr3xzo

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Interesting timing, I finally caved and got this a few weeks ago. I've had my CoreGrafx for a while now but always wanted to get this over a duo. Sadly needs a recap so I'm just waiting for those to arrive (powers on but video output less clear then the CoreGrafx and struggles to read discs, but the PCB is fine with no damage from leaked caps).

qbmAmM9rfN4HR-gfn5zYMWUYmD70JZNN9XF2PPgldKNKQSIN4h4ZzZXK9JB3D4Zs6MZBbJRk6oXQwsYQlxemQlj5qLfzOKwIf9bIpR7998lHnEERCDE8z3NR4AJPSW9BnpkfWy9V0Q=w2400

Still not entirely sure what games I'll get for it, the more I look into what to get I end up wanting to buy more HuCards instead. =/

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
My most recent local PCE CD purchase is Road Spirits. I remember first seeing it in issue 1 of Super Gaming but couldn't tell from screenshots if it ran smoothly or not.

Super-Gaming-1-Summer-1991-U-0030.jpg

I still need to put more time into it. It's no Outrun but it seems pretty cool. It has a nice early '90s racing vibe with the music and graphics. And it's one of the cheapest games to buy on the system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwY1jr3xzo

This one has always been on my radar.

Ohhh boy, this is kinda my thing.
I was pretty late to the party, but now I have a pretty solid collection for the system.

But I will contend that the PCE CD library is among the most esoteric of all retro game libraries.

Especially given the sheer numbers of RPGs that will never be translated.
Stuff like Sol Moonarge, Blood Gear, Tengai Makyo Ziria (amongst others), Emerald Dragon, an OG Popful Mail PC-88 port, Gulliver Boy - and that's just for starters.

Now throw in some Renny Blaster, Splash Lake, Bozaru de Gozaru, Galaxy Deka Gayvan, Moonlight Lady, Ane-San, Future boy Conan, Shubibinman 3 and I think you're starting to get a clearer picture of this wild library.

Now think about some shmups like Metamor Jupiter, L-Dis, Kiaidan 00, Rayxanber III, Psychic Storm, and yeah.
Oh and did you know there's an Image Fight II? There is, and it's on the PCE CD.

This library is super niche.

what are folks fave games not on the tg16 mini?

I don't remember what is and is not on it, but presumably Legend of Xanadu II (and the first, for that matter.) one of my favorite 16-bit RPGs, and I can barely read it.

Luckily Ys IV is translated, and I'd highly recommend that.

Dungeon Explorer II is a must-have.

For a straight forward action game, Iga Ninden Gao is one of my go-tos. I prefer it to Kaze Kiri, though Kaze Kiri has a better move set and graphics.

Many of the games in my post above are generally worth a look as well, though they're all closer to 5/10 to 7/10 games.

If one were to buy one today what model do you recommend?

Yeah, Duo or Duo-R.

Duo-R has the advantage of not having the surface mount capacitors and are more likely to be in working order due to that. Much easier to re-cap as well.

I prefer the case design of Duos over Duo-Rs by a small margin, though.

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
all old pics that I'm going to repost:

EDIT:
my pc engine and saturn old set up. I don't usually use the arcade sticks save for the odd photo
Hq7ZaEu.jpg

my controllers
30UneVz.jpg

Bunch of japanese pc engine gaming mags
lOKWc7J.jpg

Falcom games
VUThOhj.jpg

USA Falcom Turbografx-16 CD games
Gjzy5YY.jpg

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
^this is absolutely gorgeous Piggychan

so much love for the PCE, even if my cursed doujindace duo-r still has its issues over the years

honestly krizz announcing the next wave of turbo everdrives playing cd images like the sega one does feels like a godsend

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing library.

The Super Darius CD soundtracks are amazing.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
few more gifs of hidden gems

Bomberman: panic bomber
QWr8n9.gif

dragonslayer legend of heroes
V1Q1maX.gif

seiya monogatari anearth fantasy stories
E9E1xk.gif

izA3Diy.png

vWYfN6I.png

one of the finest tennis games of that era: final match tennis
4bBPObZ.jpg

Last edited:

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Never had one personally, but for a non-"major" console, it had a great lineup of games. Definitely one of the most underrated and overlooked platforms in the history of console gaming.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I have that same Hori stick. I wish I had more reasons to take it out of its box to use it other than SF2CE. =/

-edit-
I am probably going to pick up fighting street and the snk ports now that I have a cd drive.

if you got a Duo you might want to invest in an Arcade card if you don't have already or Arcade pro for the briefcase set up like mine. or if you have an SSDS3
ioA3N9e.jpg

IrishNinja Thanks.

Did you make all these??

Fantastic stuff all around.
Thanks, and yes. They were mostly used on other sites but somehow, they manage to make their way here too. Before it was easier to make gifs from youtube vids but not anymore.

and I just happen to have the real stuff with a bunch of games along with an old-ish capture device.
08MVbSx.jpg

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I go back to play shmups via the PCE/CD emulator on my tablet all the time. Some great games for that system.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame it never took off in the west… but I guess Nintendo was so dominant and Sega was the only one really willing to throw everything in the ring to break that domination.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
if you got a Duo you might want to invest in an Arcade card if you don't have already or Arcade pro for the briefcase set up like mine. or if you have an SSDS3
ioA3N9e.jpg

I posted a photo earlier in the thread but I recently got a Super CD Rom for my CoreGrafx. I'm most likely going to pick up an Arcade card, I know I won't need the pro model for the Super CD model (as it's the same as the Duo). :)

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a photo earlier in the thread but I recently got a Super CD Rom for my CoreGrafx. I'm most likely going to pick up an Arcade card, I know I won't need the pro model for the Super CD model (as it's the same as the Duo). :)

Some of these Neo Geo ports have strange quirks. Apart from the incredibly high difficulty level even easy/beginner is a challenge, you have to switch between the 2-6 button option on the stick/controller before the game boot-up otherwise the in-game config will only recognise and stick to whatever was the default button config at the bios screen.

EDIT:
pc engine ver. of Fatal Fury Special

View: https://i.imgur.com/GRDgctb.mp4

View: https://i.imgur.com/yU1cILe.mp4

also…….

Last edited: