• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever played a Neo Geo (or Neo Geo CD) game?

• No

Votes: 72 17.9%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 73 18.1%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / mini console / VC / clone

Votes: 202 50.1%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I never owned or even touched any of the neo geo hardware back in the day. But I've played ports on Dreamcast, Switch and other systems.

Arcade is not included as real hardware. Just like Naomi wasn't in the Dreamcast thread.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm one of the best Windjammers players on the East Coast and I play a decent amount of Twinkle Star Sprites. I've played both of those titles on arcade cabinets, ports and emulation for the rest of my time. I own ports of both titles.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Yeah I own a Neo Geo CD. I have a friend that has an AES and have played that, and of course played a bunch of MVS stuff.

My CD stuff:
1WXARMi.jpg

Favorites are Sengoku and Crossed Swords.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played a ton of Neo Geo in the arcade but never played the home AES system, nowadays I just play Neo Geo games on my Steam Deck.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Previous threads

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) game? Sega - Retro

Have you ever played a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) game? This was the first console that was my own. My brother is 1 and a half years older. We both worked in carrot fields being 7 and 8 years old. With all the money we got, it was enough for a Sega Mega drive with Sonic the Hedgehog as a pack in...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Super Nintendo (SNES) game? Nintendo - Retro

Have you? I never owned one back in the day, as Sega Mega Drive was my console of choice. But I knew one guy in France that had Nintendo instead of Sega. And I played a soccer game on it, as well as Mario in stores. I later bought the Snes classic / mini. I also bought Snes games on wii vc and...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game? Sega - Retro

Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game? All these count as real hardware Genesis and Sega CD (original models) Genesis and Sega CD (second models) Genesis CDX Victor Wondermega RG-M1 Victor Wondermega RG-M2 Pioneer LaserActive

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo 64 (N64) game? Nintendo - Retro

So... in honor of Analogues announcement, now let's see about N64.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Playstation (PS1) game? Sony - Retro

Playstation was my 2nd console, after the Sega Mega Drive. I bought it because some friends already had it, and I could borrow games. It was the console that made jrpgs my favourite genre. Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX were standouts. I do not have the console anymore, but I...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES / famicom) game? Nintendo - Retro

Now I expect less than 5 to say "no". But how many owns the hardware here at Resetera? And how many only played NES games through wii vc, nes classic mini, gba ports, animal crossing mini games or otherwise?

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Dreamcast game? Sega - Retro

I love the Sega Dreamcast. I imported it back in the end of 1998, and around Christmas I got Sonic Adventure from Japan. I had to play it in black and white for a while (Ntsc on a pal TV), until I got a vga box, but it still blew me away. I imported Buggy Heat, Powerstone, Dynamite Deka 2, Sega...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a SG-1000 game? Sega - Retro

Years ago, I thought SG-1000 was the Japanese version if Master System. But I now know it was Segas first console, never released where I lived. I have never seen any game for it, nor played ports or anything myself. NTMBK this is for you 🙂

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari Jaguar game? Retro

The results of the similar Sega Saturn thread surprised me. So I wanted to ask the same about another black sheep of the 90s, the Atari Jaguar. I never even saw the hardware in stores or other places. I did play the sega saturn (and playstation) port of the excellent Rayman though. Random...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Sega - Retro

Seeing the recent Nintendo vs Sega consoles thread, I was wondering how era would reply to this. So, have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Edit: The Sega Master System thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-a-sega-master-system-game.773258/

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Master System game? Sega - Retro

I had 2 or 3 friends with Sega Master System, and I was a big fan of their games. They had Sonic games, Alex Kidd, Disney stuff?, and others. I had neither the Master System, nor the NES. I only got enough money for my first console in the 16-bit era. My favourite Sega Master System game is...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine game? Retro

Both games on the HU cards and the Cd-rom optical format with the TurboGrafx-CD add-on count. The Jaguar thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/ The Sega Saturn thread...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
No arcade option? 😢

That's where the vast majority of people (myself included) have played Neo-Geo games, outside of emulation/ports.

Or are you just trying to get a feel for actual home console players?

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
It's the exact same hardware. That's why it was such an expensive console, and also why all (or nearly all) Neo-Geo games were arcade-ready.
I see. My reasoning is like this:

Mega CD gets a standalone thread, while neo geo cd doesn't, because the game library and the hardware is different between mega cd and mega drive.

Dreamcast doesn't include Naomi, although the hardware is very similar. But not all games were ported, so the library is not the same.

If I get a few quick replies disagreeing, I'll ask a mod to include arcade in the title.

I always thought neo geo arcade did not have 100% the same library as the home console. Sorry about that.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Mega CD gets a standalone thread, while neo geo cd doesn't, because the game library and the hardware is different between mega cd and mega drive.

Dreamcast doesn't include Naomi, although the hardware is very similar. But not all games were ported, so the library is not the same.

If I get a few quick replies disagreeing, I'll ask a mod to include arcade in the title.

I always thought neo geo arcade did not have 100% the same library as the home console. Sorry about that.

CD has a few exclusives still like Crossed Swords 2 is only Neo-Geo CD, but yeah the MVS and AES are the same.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA

I'm not 100% sure but aside from some Neo Geo CD exclusives, all games on the home console (AES) were just their arcade counterparts (MVS) slightly modified for home use.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've played on the MVS arcade systems a bunch of times, plus a ton of ports (I think I've played the majority of Neo Geo games by now through ports), but I sadly have never owned or played on a Neo Geo AES or CD system, though I have been tempted to at least get the latter since it's not too expensive. I do own a Neo Geo Pocket Color and few games, though, but that's not what this is about.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, now I'm not sure. Neo Geo is kinda weird for polls like this because because if you put the arcade into the fourth option it would skew it even harder. Maybe clarify it as a Non-arcade Neo Geo game poll to avoid confusion.
Alright. Thank you for your reply. I'll add a sentence about it.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I've played on the MVS arcade systems a bunch of times, plus a ton of ports (I think I've played the majority of Neo Geo games by now through ports), but I sadly have never owned or played on a Neo Geo AES or CD system, though I have been tempted to at least get the latter since it's not too expensive. I do own a Neo Geo Pocket Color and few games, though, but that's not what this is about.
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oct 26, 2017
Arcade only shouldn't be included because a ton of people had access to those.

I own both a AES and a (broken) MVS. I loved coming across the games in random stores back then (never had an arcade near me), but the AES was way beyond my means at the time. I bought one in the early 2000's and actually bought Matrimelee as it released, although sadly I sold it again (it's now super valuable). Also bought and sold Last Blade. Apart from those, I still have Samurai Shodown 2, Real Bout Special, Galaxy Fight, Burning Fight and King of Fighters '98. I should probably sell off my MVS carts since I don't intend to get that system running again.

It's a cool system, possibly the best looking console ever made, and those chunky carts and solid joysticks are amazingly tactile. But collecting it nowadays just doesn't make sense. Of the actually good games, only Samurai Shodown 2 is reasonably priced. All the other classics are insanely expensive now.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah I have. I own an AES and a 2-slot MVS that's cozily placed in a wooden cabinet that still stinks of tabacco and burnt electronics. Got about 12 games for the MVS but only 1 for the AES. Nonetheless, super happy with both systems.

The future is now

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Yes, but only on the Virtual Console. I remember seeing adverts for them in gaming magazines at Special Reserve and being horrified by the prices 🤣

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I wished as a kid my folks were rich enough to afford Neo Geo. The dream back then was arcade perfection and this was the only console that could actually do it. I was able to go to a game store that had it so that was the only way little ol' me was able to play.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I've ever seen one in person. Don't even recall seeing any Neo Geo arcade games either, though I assume some must have been around when I did pop into arcades occasionally. The games however I have played a lot of in some form or another.

Decoye

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Berlin
I was first playing it at a friend's house when I was a kid. Had no idea what I was doing there, the older brother owned one.

Today I have my own hardware since quite recently.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
My first year in Japan, I found a NeoGeo CD in the trash. Had no controllers or cables, but I picked it up, bought the required stuff and it worked perfectly.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My brother bought the aes system. Arcade perfect but the joysticks were pretty low quality and had no weight to them. Not worth the price. Found the Saturn with ram cartridge good enough for ports since we really only played the fighting games.

Had a friend that had the first iteration of the neogeo cd. It was terrible. That 1x cd drive and the analog stick. Yikes. You think bloodborne load times are bad…try playing king of fighters on one of these things.

View: https://youtu.be/40W1f42jNEg?si=R-QDyAvYDFFoneH9

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
yep first a boy in school, then my rich cousin bought one

with all the cool fighting games they had i still always asked to play alpha mission or nam 1975 though

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
right on time for our sunday retro threads, haha

i'd always wanted one, and a super potato in osaka when i was visiting in 2019 had an AES for $150, through in a boxed stick for another $30 or so. it needed a little work (a modder was able to fix the sound issues, but i think it largely puts out mono now? RGB looks fantastic though)

i'd had a few carts from when they were cheaper, but pulled the trigger on a Neo SD+ a few years back so i could really dive into the library on original hardware. it's so dope, the arcadey design means even sports games are fun

never played on actual cd hardware though, some games have seen conversion in recent years i wanna say

My first year in Japan, I found a NeoGeo CD in the trash. Had no controllers or cables, but I picked it up, bought the required stuff and it worked perfectly.

hot damn, what a come-up!

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Never owned a CD system, only home/mvs, the load times were ridiculous. Crossed Swords II is amazing.

I absolutely adore the Neo kidney sticks too, screw the haters

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Never owned the console but I love doing a bit of leaderboard chasing with the Xbox One versions of the games. I'm pretty good at some of them with top 5 placements on the global leaderboards. I think I've bought roughly 100 games in the ACA NeoGeo series on Xbox. There's just something special about the feel and the sprites of NeoGeo games.

Sadly never owned the console though. Both the hardware and especially software was priced out of my range. The value just wasn't there when I could buy massive RPGs for my other consoles at a fraction of the cost of a NeoGeo cart.

Last edited:

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Only through emulation and ports to other systems (ie some KOF games on PS2) but never played on the real system

justjustni

Oct 27, 2017
I answered yes before reading the "no arcade" thing.

In my mind the Neo Geo is the same in arcades and at home. The Neo Geo AES home console has a smaller library, and the CD has a handful of exclusive games, but otherwise it's all the same console in my mind.

And I feel like if people own real hardware these days it will more likely be an MVS/supergun combo, because AES prices are outrageous--MVS always seems a lot cheaper across the board.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm rich but not millionaire rich.

I think I played Samurai Shodown in a store kiosk once, actually. But this was years after the fact. At the time Neo Geo games were the current equivalent of €350 so I knew absolutely no one who had one.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
My only interaction with real SNES hardware back in the day was in store demo kiosks, but those things were freaking everywhere at the time. That's enough to have ticked your "yes I've tried real hardware" box in that poll. Playing a neo-geo at an arcade seems the same to me.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Yea. Own a Neo Geo AES and around 40 carts. Also a multi cart and few mvs from when I had a MVS cab…have a grey Neo pocket. Sold most of my Neo pocket games but still got sonic, Neo turf, metal slug first mission, real bout, samurai Shodown, puzzle bubble and a few others.
Love Neo Geo and SNK.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Had a home cart setup with most of the games. I sold most of it, still have a couple random consoles. I have 3 Neo CD and a lot of games that I need to sell. I also have most of the MVS kits and 2 cabs, but I need to sell the carts and. 4 slot. I haven't played in years.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Had a Neo Geo with Nam75, 8 Man, Last Resort, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown... I don't know how many school lunch money went into this but it was a lot ah ah ah.

I bought a Neo Geo CD later, what a mistake (except for the arranged tracks, those were incredible, especially Fatal Fury 3).

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I've played on Arcade and emulation/ports, in fact, is one of my favorite systems to play in my Miyoo Mini+

Oct 27, 2017
Not on the original systems, no. NG games were always amazingly expensive (which is why seeing them now being sold for £5 on PSN, etc always makes me chuckle on the inside), but after seeing the NGC and its slow loading depicted on Hi-Score Girl I don't think it's something I would have enjoyed at the time. (Doubly so, now.) But maybe it wasn't as bad irl?

mceNT

Banned
Aug 3, 2023
Back in the early 90s I had a buddy who had a Neo Geo and a bunch of fighting games. It was novel to be able to play games at home that exactly matched what was in the arcade, but I'd rather be playing SF2 Turbo on the SNES (not to mention the variety of RPGs and platformers).

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Not on the original systems, no. NG games were always amazingly expensive (which is why seeing them now being sold for £5 on PSN, etc always makes me chuckle on the inside), but after seeing the NGC and its slow loading depicted on Hi-Score Girl I don't think it's something I would have enjoyed at the time. (Doubly so, now.) But maybe it wasn't as bad irl?

Initial loads for games were long but between levels and stuff they're short. Crossed swords are only like 3 seconds long.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the early 90s I had a buddy who had a Neo Geo and a bunch of fighting games. It was novel to be able to play games at home that exactly matched what was in the arcade, but I'd rather be playing SF2 Turbo on the SNES (not to mention the variety of RPGs and platformers).

I'm sure anyone that had a Neo Geo and a bunch of games could probably swing a SNES too.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the Neo Geo MVS many times in the arcade - There were surprisingly a large number of Neo Geo machines in my hometown.

I have never played a New Geo AES or Neo Geo CD tho.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I had an MVS machine in my teens when both hardware and carts were quite cheap. I found it fascinating at the time that 15 year old hardware still had new games releases.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I remember the game shop by me in the 90's used to sell AES's and games and unlike other games from this era, I have no regrets not buying, because they were so expensive even back then.

An MVS, if you grew up in the 90's every laundromat in the western hemisphere had one and you couldn't avoid them if you tried.

re: the library, I've probably played every Neo Geo game at least an hour each. I love the system so much

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I'm pretty sure I have not even seen a Neo Geo console let alone played one. I don't think they were officially released here.

I have played quite a lot of Neo Geo games at the arcade and later as ports/emulation.