• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever played a Wonderswan game?

• No

Votes: 284 65.7%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 51 11.8%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones

Votes: 79 18.3%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I never owned one, but did play a port? On psp you have a version of the game Gunpey, named after Gunpei Yokoi. I know that 2d Klonoa was also released on the Wonderswan before the GBA, but I don't think we can think of it like a port?

Anyone ever played a Wonderswan? I saw one in a used videogame store in Japan, but did not buy it.

Aske
this thread is for you.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, but this is probably the first of this type of threads where it's a barely. Gamestops (might have still been Funcoland at the time but probably this was shortly after they became Gamestop) sold them here in the US for a very short time when they were trying to sell some import stuff. I never bought it, I knew of it from a few mentions in EGM in the era but outside of the Final Fantasy ports nothing I heard was on it ever really interested me and I didn't speak Japanese so trying to play import RPGs sounded like a nightmare.

One of my friends though who was super into RPGs ended up getting one of them. I didn't know until we were hanging out playing Ogre Battle 64 on N64 and I was looking around his room and noticed it in his closet. I commented that he'd bought a Wonderswan, confused since I hadn't really even considered doing so. He mentioned that ya, he'd tried it to try the Final Fantasy ports, but without English he couldn't get far. I think I played like 10 minutes of the first Final Fantasy, which I knew pretty well since I'd had it on NES, and then put it down. That's my experience with it. Never even bothered emulating it.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Previous threads

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Gameboy game? Nintendo - Retro

I never owned one myself, but the big sister of my friend had the OG gameboy. I tried Tetris. Gameboy Color does not count, as it has 145 unique games. But GB Pocket, GB light for example count as real hardware.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played Virtual Boy game? Nintendo - Retro

One of Nintendos biggest failures, but an interesting machine still. I never even saw one in real life. I'd love to hear about day one buyers and your experience with it.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo (or Neo Geo CD) game? Retro

I never owned or even touched any of the neo geo hardware back in the day. But I've played ports on Dreamcast, Switch and other systems. Arcade is not included as real hardware. Just like Naomi wasn't in the Dreamcast thread.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) game? Sega - Retro

Have you ever played a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) game? This was the first console that was my own. My brother is 1 and a half years older. We both worked in carrot fields being 7 and 8 years old. With all the money we got, it was enough for a Sega Mega drive with Sonic the Hedgehog as a pack in...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Super Nintendo (SNES) game? Nintendo - Retro

Have you? I never owned one back in the day, as Sega Mega Drive was my console of choice. But I knew one guy in France that had Nintendo instead of Sega. And I played a soccer game on it, as well as Mario in stores. I later bought the Snes classic / mini. I also bought Snes games on wii vc and...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game? Sega - Retro

Have you ever played a Sega CD (Mega-CD) game? All these count as real hardware Genesis and Sega CD (original models) Genesis and Sega CD (second models) Genesis CDX Victor Wondermega RG-M1 Victor Wondermega RG-M2 Pioneer LaserActive

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo 64 (N64) game? Nintendo - Retro

So... in honor of Analogues announcement, now let's see about N64.

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Playstation (PS1) game? Sony - Retro

Playstation was my 2nd console, after the Sega Mega Drive. I bought it because some friends already had it, and I could borrow games. It was the console that made jrpgs my favourite genre. Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX were standouts. I do not have the console anymore, but I...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES / famicom) game? Nintendo - Retro

Now I expect less than 5 to say "no". But how many owns the hardware here at Resetera? And how many only played NES games through wii vc, nes classic mini, gba ports, animal crossing mini games or otherwise?

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Dreamcast game? Sega - Retro

I love the Sega Dreamcast. I imported it back in the end of 1998, and around Christmas I got Sonic Adventure from Japan. I had to play it in black and white for a while (Ntsc on a pal TV), until I got a vga box, but it still blew me away. I imported Buggy Heat, Powerstone, Dynamite Deka 2, Sega...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a SG-1000 game? Sega - Retro

Years ago, I thought SG-1000 was the Japanese version if Master System. But I now know it was Segas first console, never released where I lived. I have never seen any game for it, nor played ports or anything myself. NTMBK this is for you 🙂

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari Jaguar game? Retro

The results of the similar Sega Saturn thread surprised me. So I wanted to ask the same about another black sheep of the 90s, the Atari Jaguar. I never even saw the hardware in stores or other places. I did play the sega saturn (and playstation) port of the excellent Rayman though. Random...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Sega - Retro

Seeing the recent Nintendo vs Sega consoles thread, I was wondering how era would reply to this. So, have you ever played a Sega Saturn game? Edit: The Sega Master System thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-a-sega-master-system-game.773258/

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Master System game? Sega - Retro

I had 2 or 3 friends with Sega Master System, and I was a big fan of their games. They had Sonic games, Alex Kidd, Disney stuff?, and others. I had neither the Master System, nor the NES. I only got enough money for my first console in the 16-bit era. My favourite Sega Master System game is...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine game? Retro

Both games on the HU cards and the Cd-rom optical format with the TurboGrafx-CD add-on count. The Jaguar thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/ The Sega Saturn thread...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly yes - I didn't know it existed until I met my partner a few years ago who's Japanese.

I played Super Robot Wars compact very briefly at his house last time I was in Japan.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
Yes, because naturally all of the original handheld Digimon games were Wonderswan exclusives.

Digimon_Adventure_Anode_Cathode_Tamer.png

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I was in Montréal last year and found this retro game shop full of wonderswans and games. I mean it must have been hundreds of them. I regret not getting one.
To this day, I'm perplexed as to what the story is behind this.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I've played was the ports of Cardinal Sins and Judgement Silversword which were included as a bonus for Eschatos on the Xbox 360 (and probably the more recent ports of that game too).

I'm under the impression that the Klonoa game for the Wonderswan is a completely different game than the GBA games. Never played it though and it's the only game I would play if I had a 'Swan.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Judgment Silversword, but that's basically it. It's a really good, yet brutally hard wave-based shmup. It had ports to Steam and I believe some consoles in recent years.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbRlQ6ajMro

The only thing I've played was the ports of Cardinal Sins and Judgement Silversword which were included as a bonus for Eschatos on the Xbox 360 (and probably the more recent ports of that game too).

I'm under the impression that the Klonoa game for the Wonderswan is a completely different game than the GBA games. Never played it though and it's the only game I would play if I had a 'Swan.
Thank you. I kinda remembered it had some game ported to other systems, but google and Wikipedia did not help me much 🙂

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I have achieved my lifelong dream of becomin a guy who owns a Wonderswan.

I've got Gihren's Greed, Namco Super Wars, One Piece Swan Colosseum, Vaitz Blade, Rockman.EXE WS (unfortunately this cart isn't working), Final Fantasy (came with the Wonderswan). Maybe a few others that I've forgotten; I'm not at home right now so I can't check.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
No and I do not think I ever will. I do not know of any Wonder Swan game that I would want to play (outside of ports of other games, where I would still not want to play the Wonder Swan version in particular).

Oct 26, 2017
Yep! I have a small collection of Wonderswan games and a few consoles.

The screen on the WSC is truly terrible, one of the worst colour screen I've ever seen - it's near impossible to see under normal lighting conditions. Pop an IPS in that bad-boy and it becomes much better!

I'd say Wonderswan is probably one of the least friendly to collect, since not only are all of its games in Japanese (Bar one - a digimon title which has a full english translation) , the majority are RPG or otherwise text-heavy games so it's somewhat lacking on the games you can "just play without reading".

That said, there are a few titles out there that are worth having a look at. One Piece Grand Battle Swan Colessuem is a solid fighting game based on the first few arcs of One Piece, and Digimon Battle Spirits is another one which is a fun fighting title (Which was later ported to GBA I think), and the sort of rhythm-platformer Rhyme Rider Kerorican

There's also some cool strategy titles out there, like Blue Wing Blitz (WW2-style dogfighting turn based stategy with a FF:tactics style aesthetic).

It's a quirky console. The hardware is actually pretty powerful, and the fact that it runs on one battery is impressive! Just a shame the library isn't particularly diverse.

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
Yup I own a wonderswan color and FF I and II as I was living in Japan when they came out.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Still got my WS and WSC. Gun-Pey is one of the best game ever. We remade it on out old Ataris we loved it that much.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The only wonderswan game i own is arc the lad, a pretty good side/sequel to the second game. Never own a real console...

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Yep! I have a small collection of Wonderswan games and a few consoles.

The screen on the WSC is truly terrible, one of the worst colour screen I've ever seen - it's near impossible to see under normal lighting conditions. Pop an IPS in that bad-boy and it becomes much better!

I'd say Wonderswan is probably one of the least friendly to collect, since not only are all of its games in Japanese (Bar one - a digimon title which has a full english translation) , the majority are RPG or otherwise text-heavy games so it's somewhat lacking on the games you can "just play without reading".

That said, there are a few titles out there that are worth having a look at. One Piece Grand Battle Swan Colessuem is a solid fighting game based on the first few arcs of One Piece, and Digimon Battle Spirits is another one which is a fun fighting title (Which was later ported to GBA I think), and the sort of rhythm-platformer Rhyme Rider Kerorican

There's also some cool strategy titles out there, like Blue Wing Blitz (WW2-style dogfighting turn based stategy with a FF:tactics style aesthetic).

It's a quirky console. The hardware is actually pretty powerful, and the fact that it runs on one battery is impressive! Just a shame the library isn't particularly diverse.

Yup I own a wonderswan color and FF I and II as I was living in Japan when they came out.

Still got my WS and WSC. Gun-Pey is one of the best game ever. We remade it on out old Ataris we loved it that much.
Btw, offcourse Wonderswan Color is accepted as real hardware.

And I have read that Final Fantasy was great on the system.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Of all these threads you've made, I owned and played every single one until now. The Wonderswan totally passed me by. I'm in the US so that's probably not surprising.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Never real hardware but dug in a bit on the MiSTer core. But I pretty quickly realized a lot of the games I was enjoying were actually downsized ports of games I could find elsewhere. There are some neat exclusives too though, and they don't all require knowing Japanese.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The WonderSwan Color remake of Makai Toushi SaGa (The Final Fantasy Legend) is really, really good. It's a nice SNES style overhaul of the visuals with lots of bug fixes and added quality of life features. I really wish Square would remaster/port this version at some point, it's so much better than the Game Boy original.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I've known about it but never bothered to emulate. Nope. Remember seeing the name on the old ign site with the list of game consoles. It always sounded neat.

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Judgement Silversword, fun vertical shmup... but very expensive and hard to find, so I do not own a physical copy.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I came close to impulse buying an IPS screen modded Wonderswan Color once, but apparently these screens do 60Hz and not the native 75Hz of the original Wonderswan Color soooo I guess I'm never playing one. I wanna see that kind of fluidity that you can't get via emulation, but I need a backlight!

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Nope. I used to see the consoles at Babbages and had no clue what it was. In hindsight I wish I had bought one and some games, seems like it's up my alley.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I wandered into a used junk shop in Seattle about 15 years ago and they had one sitting in a cardboard box with a bunch of random stuff. It also had one game. Pretty sure it cost me about $10. I still only have that one game. But I've played a few of the others mentioned in this thread via emulation.

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. The only reason I knew what the Wonderswan was is because there's a Mega Man and Bass game on it, after reading about it on either Rockman PM or Sprites INC back in the day. Thought It was an obscure handheld that never made it to the states or something.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Got a Wonderswan Color and a Swan Crystal to play the Digimon games back in elementary school. I wanted the Mega Man Battle Network game for it but never got around to it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The WonderSwan Color remake of Makai Toushi SaGa (The Final Fantasy Legend) is really, really good. It's a nice SNES style overhaul of the visuals with lots of bug fixes and added quality of life features. I really wish Square would remaster/port this version at some point, it's so much better than the Game Boy original.
I want to start that series and was hesitating between this version or the gb one.

What's that? MORE niche video game hardware?
Yes, I do own that. And a decently solid library of the games!

If I recall, the system was developed with commutes in mind - making it a quick and easy lil' system to play for 10-15 minutes, then put away.
The battery lasts forever, too.

Love the WonderSwan. If I had to choose between WonderSwan and NeoGeo Pocket, I'd probably choose the WonderSwan series.
Really fun little library that has some super unique takes on video games.
Also, built-in TATE mode! What could be better?

Some interesting games include:
An excellent, exclusive Klonoa game
Exclusive Ghosts n Goblins game
Exclusive MegaMan platformer
Unique port of Rainbow Islands
A port of Crazy Climber
Solid handheld port of Beatmania (complete with little turntable attachment)
Rhyme Rider Kerorican (from creator of Parappa the Rapper)
Star Hearts - great action RPG...but all in Japanese.
Flash Koibito-Kun

And SO. MANY. PUZZLE GAMES.
Such as:
THREE versions of Gunpey
HAL Laboratory developed exclusive puzzler
Port of Xi Sai and Engacho! of PS1 fame
Sen no Millenium
Magical Drop (in TATE)
Tane o Maku Tori

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Absolutely! Fucking awesome system, actually. It's so cool how close the games feel to being technologically GBA quality with an incrdibly trim and novel form factor. Klonoa was tops, but I also really dug the Tekken card game and a lot of the interesting Square Enix titles like Blue Wing Blitz. Rockman EXE WS is really cool too, and I wish I could find a copy at a good price. Rhyme Rider Kerorican still has possibly the best/most interesting packaging on a video game, despite the game being kind of not great (It's by NanaOn-Sha and is basically a worse version of Vib-Ribbon, which they had released the year prior iirc).

I was in Montréal last year and found this retro game shop full of wonderswans and games. I mean it must have been hundreds of them. I regret not getting one.
To this day, I'm perplexed as to what the story is behind this.
I know exactly which shop you're talking about! Around the time they originally got them, the first model of Wonderswan could still easily be found in bulk in Japan at comfortably under 1,000 Yen per unit. I highly suspect they just bought a big lot of them for reselling. A lot of the ones at the store you're talking about are in bad shape, so they probably paid very little for the whole batch (which I think they were reselling at CAD $40/unit or something super inflated).

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Actually don't think I have... not even via emulation out of curiosity. However, looking at some of these posts has piqued my interest, especially those exclusives.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Just Judgment Silversword and it's sister game. They were in a bundle with eschatos on steam, and someone in the gaf shmup community spoke highly of the latter so I just bought all of them.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Back in the late 90's the import shop by me got a wonder swan and Neo Geo Pocket at the same time. I demo'd both and decided on the Neo Geo Pocket.
That's the last time I've seen a real WS with my own two eyes/held one. While I don't regret my decision on the NGP, I've recently started playing WS via emulation and have discovered it has a nice little library. The frame rate is surprising good too.

Klonoa on it has a real bite to it. It turns into somewhat of a sokoban puzzler, so it can get pretty frustrating towards the end, if that's not your thing-- but still worth a look

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Swancrystal and Klonoa Moonlight Museum. Easily the best Klonoa game. It is just awesome.

The GBA games are similar but they are not the same. The GBA games have some of the BS of the PS1/PS2 games. In the Wonderswan game, there is just the 30 gems to collect per stage and not a single one is missable. If you mess up, you can leave the room and come back to reset the puzzle elements. None of those stupid snowboarding segments where you miss a gem and have to replay the entire level over again.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Yes! I have achieved my lifelong dream of becomin a guy who owns a Wonderswan.

I've got Gihren's Greed, Namco Super Wars, One Piece Swan Colosseum, Vaitz Blade, Rockman.EXE WS (unfortunately this cart isn't working), Final Fantasy (came with the Wonderswan). Maybe a few others that I've forgotten; I'm not at home right now so I can't check.

That's my dream too! I'm just fascinated by this little machine with its absurd name. I keep watching YouTube videos about it and imagining it in my hands.

Thank you Tailzo!

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
seen one in person back in the day, but never played a physical one. messed with some roms, there's a weird ass "sim" game based on uzumaki (!) and that famous shooter that i forgot the name of....silver judgement?