• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
8MSGawq.jpg

So I recently got an NGPC from Ebay and got 2 games: KoF R2 and Sonic Pocket Adventure.

I recently played through Pocket Adventure and beat it. It's a short game, and can be beaten in under an hour.

Sonic Pocket Adventure 2 is like...the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 8-bit the Master System and Game Gear never had.
Pocket Adventure uses stages from Sonic 2 as its base. They aren't 1:1 but you can tell what stages they are when you play them (YOU CAN'T FOOL ME SEGA! JUST CUZ YOU GET RID OF METROPOLIS' GREEN TO MAKE US THINK IT'S SCRAP BRAIN & CREATE A NEW TRACK FOR IT WON'T CHANGE THE FACT IT'S EMERALD INDUSTRIAL HELL IN DISGUISE! YEAH YOU BETTER HAVE MADE IT EASIER THAN OG METROPOLIS, SHOWS YOU LEARNED SOMETHING!). It also has the Sonic 2 Special Stages as well for fans of that type of special stage!

The overall game is actually quite easy and one thing neat it does, to make up for it having such a small screen is that wherever Sonic is facing the camera will quickly move to show what is in front of him. Furthermore, when Sonic takes damage he remains invincible for a much longer period of time, about 5 seconds I'd say.

Now getting used to the NGPC's stick to control Sonic is a little iffy but it works for the most part. The thing you need to be careful of in later stages is accidentally going into a roll when trying to jump from platforms. I had this happen to me a few times in Aerobase stage but it wasn't THAT hard overall.

Now the music is an interesting mix of Sonic 2 and 3 with most of the tracks being from 3. Their rendition in the NGPC's sound chip is for the most part pretty good, although hearing some tracks from 3 in certain stages is kinda weird like hearing Death Egg theme in Aerobase stage (Wing Fortress)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6f7sSwZXl4

There are also a few tracks that I know are from other Sonic games but I can't quite recognize them :P

Scattered throughout stages are puzzle pieces that when you collect them will let you form a picture of Sonic and co. drawn in the style of Sonic Adventure. I didn't care much for these since some pieces would be hidden in some specific locations that I need to go out of my normal path to reach.

Otherwise though it's a simple and fun game, and while it's a shame it may never get a re-release, I'd recommend it if you plan on getting an NGPC.

So that's the game but what about the NGPC itself? Well the model I got works well but it came without a Lithium battery! The Ebayer didn't mention it in the description but I think Lithium battries are restriced in planes that's why it wasn't included. Maybe. Thankfully I found one that is compatible and the little fella runs well
710x528_15200576_9040911_1469685674.jpg

I have to hold it at a specific distance since it has no brightness options and putting it close to my face makes it difficult to see things. One thing I'll say though is that either its because of my NGPC being a used model or that emulators output stuff more differently on-screen, the colors can be a little difficult to discern. Like I KNOW what colors I'm seeing, blue and yellow etc., but something feels a little bit off. Then again that might just be normal due to the type of screen.

The other game I got with it was KoF R2, but I don't have any interest in it so I'll prob. sell or trade it off.

As is the one game I want for my NGPC is Rockman Battle Fighters but man is this one pricey. I could've gotten it along with an NGPC but it was much more expensive than the one I got (3 times more pricier I think!), so I'll keep an eye out and see if I can snag a cheap copy.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
I had Sonic Pocket Adventure back during my childhood. Was a real neat game. Supposedly was made by the folks who would form DIMPs, which makes me wonder how they went from great (though not perfect) Genesis-like Sonic games like this to later portable Sonics which were... much more questionable, and then Sonic 4.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a NGPC sometime in the early 2000's at Gamestop/EB Games. It was a repackaged deal and came in a blister pack with (I think?) 4 games. Sonic, TurfMasters, PacMan and I think Puzzle Bobble. The whole package was maybe $60-$70.

I loved the clicky stick, which still remains one of the best sticks for platformers.

Edit: Might have came with 5 games? I swear I remember Samurai Showdown on it as well, which actually translated quite nicely.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I got a NGPC sometime in the early 2000's at Gamestop/EB Games. It was a repackaged deal and came in a blister pack with (I think?) 4 games. Sonic, TurdMasters, PacMan and I think Puzzle Bobble. The whole package was maybe $60-$70.

I loved the clicky stick, which still remains one of the best sticks for platformers.

Edit: Might have came with 5 games? I swear I remember Samurai Showdown on it as well, which actually translated quite nicely.
Was NGPC Turf Masters really that bad?

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
I got a NGPC sometime in the early 2000's at Gamestop/EB Games. It was a repackaged deal and came in a blister pack with (I think?) 4 games. Sonic, TurfMasters, PacMan and I think Puzzle Bobble. The whole package was maybe $60-$70.

IIRC the blister packs had 4-pack games and, I thought a system and 6-pack games.

As an interesting bit of trivia, certain NGPC titles only came out as these aftermarket blister-pack sales, such as The Last Blade.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the ever living hell out of Sonic Pocket Adventure. To me it was amazing that I was playing this on a handheld while the Game Boy was still outputting just stuff like Pokemon Red (talking graphics and technical fidelity here). I was loved that little thing, and was bummed when SNK pulled the plug so quickly. I had fun looking at all the different colors for the NGPC.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I personally don't like playing fighters on a handheld if they're the traditional 2D fare, which the NGPC has a good bunch of. I'd much rather have action games or platformers. I might grab the NGPC Metal Slug games in the future.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
The physics of SPA are so "off" compared to some of the other 2D games. Some levels are a slog. The graphics are gorgeous though

The fighters on this console are fun as hell also

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the blister packs had 4-pack games and, I thought a system and 6-pack games.

As an interesting bit of trivia, certain NGPC titles only came out as these aftermarket blister-pack sales, such as The Last Blade.

And US version of Faselei! I think they got re-release in japan in 4 pack game.

I really like this console, It got a bunch of exclusive stuff, like Robotron Unitron, Dark Arms. Capcom card game, etc. I would pay a lot to have a english version of Evolution on NGP.....

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game and the system. The puzzle pieces encouraged exploration of a sonic level which I never really go out of my way to do unless I am lost or see a better path. If I recall there was also a good time trial mode.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
And US version of Faselei! I think they got re-release in japan in 4 pack game.

I really like this console, It got a bunch of exclusive stuff, like Robotron Unitron, Dark Arms. Capcom card game, etc. I would pay a lot to have a english version of Evolution on NGP.....

Do you mean SNK Vs. Capcom: Cardfighters Clash? That one was great, and SNK Vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium is still one of my favorite casual fighting games (If only modern Capcom was willing to throw in as much single-player content nowadays as SNK did in that portable game, of all things!)

Of course, it's hard to think of a "bad" game for NeoGeo Pocket Color - if you enjoyed handheld gaming in the Game Boy Color era than NGPC has many of the best games in that era and some of them still hold up today. (Some of them are so good that it actually completely turned me off to SNK-Playmore's GBA releases because many of them looked like utter ass in comparison and just didn't play as good.)

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Sonic Pocket Adventure on an emulator and it's actually a pretty good game, created by none other Dimps who would go on to create the beloved Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series.

But I never finished it as I don't like playing emulator on a PC and I always kinda hoped that it would see a release in the future though for some reason Sega doesn't seem to acknowledge its existence, which is also the same for the Game Gear Sonic game.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Pocket Adventure is such a strange game, visually it's like a lost Game Gear title, yet the level themes are mostly from Sonic 2 (Gigantic Angel and Chaotic Space being S1 and S3 respectively) while the music is all from Sonic 3 and S&K and the artwork of Sonic is Adventure style. It's pretty good, but a shame that Sega seems to ignore it since I don't much enjoy using the NGPC's strange stick/d-pad thing.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Pocket Adventure is my favourite handheld Sonic game. A weird fusion of all the mainline 16 bit games but with a wonderful result. Also the Neo Geo Pocket Dpad is so nice for platformers. Heck, it's nice for anything. Shame to see some of you don't like the stick :(

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had Rockman Power Battles once...when I was a dumb teenager that sold it for likely a fraction of its actual worth....

But the Metal Slug games are solid, as is Falsei! I had a lot of fun with Cap vs SNK, but since KOF didn't interest you CvS is likely out. But the mini games in it were a blast!

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh shit. I used to see ads for this game, in some big ad for japanese import games, in Tips & Tricks magazine. never played it. haven't thought about it in 15 years.

how's that.... thumbstick or whatever that is? just looking at it, it looks like playing a platformer would suck with that

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I personally don't like playing fighters on a handheld if they're the traditional 2D fare, which the NGPC has a good bunch of. I'd much rather have action games or platformers. I might grab the NGPC Metal Slug games in the future.

If you like SNK fighting games at all, I will tell you that is a goof. SvC MotM is easily the best game out of the whole crop of Capcom/SNK fighter collaborations (Yes, even CvS2), and it has a ton of content/minigames that are fun on their own (and help you unlock SDM/Lvl 2 super moves). The Last Blade is an amazing port (with content from both LB1 and 2). And Gals Fighters is a super unique gem of a game too.

I consider MOTM, The Last Blade, Gals Fighters must haves for the system. Along with SvC Card Fighters (don't judge the originals by the later games like the DS travesty).

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I totally want to play this game... but I can't justify the system just for this one single game. Maybe one day...

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's actually a fun game and possibly my favorite of the 8bit Sonic games. Crazy how Dimps made two good Sonic games in a row, this and Advance 1 and just tapered off after that.

SKULLOMANIA

Nov 12, 2017
I enjoyed Sonic Pocket Adventure quite a bit - took some elements and stages from the various 16-bit Sonic games, and simplified them, but creating a brand new game out of it.
I also liked the NeoGeo Pocket quite a lot - was quite cheap to pick up over in the UK in the early 2000's from what I recall...

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean SNK Vs. Capcom: Cardfighters Clash? That one was great, and SNK Vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium is still one of my favorite casual fighting games (If only modern Capcom was willing to throw in as much single-player content nowadays as SNK did in that portable game, of all things!)

Of course, it's hard to think of a "bad" game for NeoGeo Pocket Color - if you enjoyed handheld gaming in the Game Boy Color era than NGPC has many of the best games in that era and some of them still hold up today. (Some of them are so good that it actually completely turned me off to SNK-Playmore's GBA releases because many of them looked like utter ass in comparison and just didn't play as good.)

Yeah sorry forgot the name SNK Vs. Capcom: Cardfighters Clash, i got the Capcom side complete, but never found the SNK side for a decent price.

I don't remember any game to be really bad (i'm sure there are probably a couple). There like 3-4 in my most wanted list on that system that i'm not sure to pay the asking price for a complete copy, like dive alert, look pretty average,

rumyhy

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I mean, it's an alright game. It's your typical 2D Sonic title just with 8 bit graphics & green eyes. It's biggest problem is that all of it's aesthetics and a lot of the level design are ripped off directly from Sonic 2. Granted, I think it has better level design than any of the Sonic Advance games and it certainly plays better than Sonic 4 but I still think you're better off just playing Sonic 2.

10/10 - IGN