• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
RV-Dreamcast-Featured-0.jpg

Every game console has this second or third party company that was legendary: Genesis had Treasure, Nintendo 64 had Rare, PlayStation had Squaresoft and Namco, and so on. It is practically unanimous that on internet Dreamcast has this very respectable reputation even if it was a commercial failure and, especially, had this sadly very small lifespan, so even if a lot of Dreamcast exclusives were released years later on PS2 and other platforms you still can have so much fun with it in 2020.

But... holy shit guys, I was a Dreamcast user in that era and I will always, ALWAYS be grateful for what Capcom did for this little machine. It was marvelous, like, every month you had something so valuable and fun.

Dreamcast was released in Japan in november 1998, 9/9/99 in the US and was discontinued in march 2001... and yet, in that really thin moment in time, we had:

Bounty Hunter Sara
Cannon Spike
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Dino Crisis
The El Dorado Gate games
Gaia Master
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon
Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Project Justice
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III W (New Generation AND Second Impact, both games in a single disc)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future
Taisen Net Gimmick: Capcom & Psikyo All Stars
Tech Romancer
Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service

Resident Evil Code Veronica was incredible, in fact my country was pretty rough with Sega in their Genesis era and Saturn was practically a "foreigner videogame magazine myth" that no one had, that game was the first moment that I truly remember a lot of mainstream and casual consumers here were finally interested in a Sega console for the first time, also you had RE2 and 3. The game was released tons of times later but it's still a "Dreamcast game" for so many people including me, it was so important even if some people don't like it.

Marvel 2 is still THE OFFICIAL VERSION for the competitive scene even today, Capcom vs. SNK 2 can be played on PS2 but the DC version is still the FGC favorite (and it looks so fucking beautiful on VGA), 3rd Strike was an exclusive for Dreamcast until the game was released on PS2 in 2004, that was four long years later for me (3rd Strike was the reason why I had a DC). Dino Crisis looks much better than the PS1 version and it's still awesome, without any Remaster on sight yet. If you were in Japan, you could play a lot of fighting games online with an almost Arcade perfect experience, the Super Street Fighter II X Dreamcast version was the source for more ports in the future (also I heard HD Remix was based on it).

And, yeah, you still have some really cool exclusives even today: probably by far the most "WE WANT THIS NOW" port that is still locked on Dreamcast is Project Justice, that is still so much fun. The Spawn game and Heavy Metal Geomatrix are pretty cool, Cannon Spike was pretty crazy at the time as a cool Capcom/Psikyo crossover and all the Takumi stuff was so awesome if you were into shooting games, in fact Gigawing 2 and Mars Matrix were one of the first experiences I had in the bullet hell/danmaku genre... also Mars Matrix has an "arrange mode" that is totally different to the Arcade version and is pretty cool and so much fun. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a much more popular franchise in the west now and is still a viable version... and I heard you can't buy the PS3/360 version now because of licence shit (I'm still not sure if that continues though). Power Stone 2 is still one of the best 4 players party/fighting games ever made and it's still only on Dreamcast excluding the PSP port.

Capcom also did a cool job as a publisher, I remember they did the Gunbird 2 distribution of the game (even in the US!) and Morrigan was playable on the game, it was that cool.

Yes, there's a lot of import stuff, but if you were into Dreamcast that was definitely part of the experience, or at least it was for me. I was and still I am an Arcade addict, and the experience of had a Dreamcast was the equivalent to have an Arcade machine at home, and Capcom did some great stuff on that too... damn, even Plasma Sword that is not really that good is still a Dreamcast exclusive!

Thanks Capcom... I clearly remember what happened next with the "Capcom Five" on Gamecube so, honestly, as a user of a "failed" system I'm totally in debt.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
A capcom Dreamcast collection switch(and all the other consoles) would be epic

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly even though it's not on par with the dreamcast they've done well this gen

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Those are the final days of capcom went full blast on arcade using the Sega NAOMI board and their DC conversions....

After this era, capcom basically went silent on arcade until Street Fighter 4.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, Capcom's support for Dreamcast was pretty amazing. I wish Capcom had released a fighting game controller for Dreamcast, as I can't say I enjoyed playing the Street Fighter games on Dreamcast, but Capcom Vs. SNK thankfully resolved that issue, as did the presence of some SNK fighting games. Also, I loved Mars Matrix.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They were excellent on Saturn and PS1 too.

...Actually, on all consoles from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s they supported, they were pretty special.

But yea, the Dreamcast in particular shined due to Capcom. They carried it as much as Sega.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the swan song of the arcade scene. No other console really embraced it after that as online gaming quickly took off and never looked back.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The joys of the Dreamcast being 100% compatible with Naomi arcade hardware.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Those are the final days of capcom went full blast on arcade using the Sega NAOMI board and their DC conversions....

After this era, capcom basically went silent on arcade until Street Fighter 4.
Yeah, one of the best things about the Naomi is that it was basically a CPS4 for Capcom, and that trickled down to the Dreamcast.

CPS2 was really Capcom's glory days for me, but there's some fantastic stuff on Naomi/DC too.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't have said it better, OP.

DC era was such a treat, it felt like an amazing new Capcom title was coming out every other week and some of them were budget priced. I remember getting my copies of Mars Matrix and Giga Wing 2 at Software Ect. for only $19.99 each when they were first released, unreal. So glad I kept all my DC games, I bought a Dreamcast s-video cable last year and I've been revisiting a lot of these titles, still a fantastic system.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Sometimes I'm fascinated by Capcom's relationship with Sega. They went from being a complete non-factor on Mega Drive to the undisputed #1 third party developer on Saturn and DC.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Capcom had been one of my favorite developers ever since the NES. They've been incredibly strong every gen EXCEPT the 360/ps3/Wii gen. They definitely slipped a bit back then.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That era was such a blast of great capcom arcade ports. So many blissful chilldhood memories of me & my friends playing 3rd Strike & Cap vs Snk 1 hours on end.