IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
XZ7hpfb.jpg

Dec 12, 1991 (JP), Oct 15, 1992 (US), 1993 (EU)
Units Sold: 2.24 million
Media: CD-ROM, CD+G
CPU: MC68000 @ 12.5 MHz
Sound: Ricoh RF5C164

my man MikeMyers:

Released in the early 90's, the Sega CD (also known as the Mega CD) was an add-on for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive to serve as an answer for the PC-Engine's CD add-on. The Sega CD has met with a mixed reception over the years. Some have argued the Sega CD was the beginning of the end for Sega as a hardware manufacturer, while others have argued it helped give developers a head-start on how to develop for the CD format. Either way, the Sega CD has its gems and its place in gaming history.

i still find gems for this thing. biggest ones offhand:

• Snatcher - early kojima was best kojima
  • Sonic CD - US OST > JP, tell a friend
  • Lunar 1/2 - Working Designs alone justified this peripheral; 2 remains in my top 10 JRPG list
  • Shining Force CD - as a huge SF fan, this was such a crazy awesome deal. it's great for story between 1 & 2 as well
  • Space Adventure Cobra - more VN-like goodness, man i wish this was cheaper
  • Popful Mail - such a great action RPG from WD!
  • Panic! - perfect game to play inebriated
  • Wirehead - still the finest FMV title out there
  • Rise of the Dragon - great cyberpunk VN/action title. you'll want a guide.
  • Revenge of the Ninja - some favor Road Avenger, but this was my shit
  • Silpheed - i bought this cause of gamefan
  • Final Fight CD - the definitive home version, suck it SNES
  • Heart of the Alien - ill never finish these games, but what a cool package it was
  • Amazing Spider-Man vs the Kingpin - definitive version, with added baddies/open world/timeless cutscenes
  • Earthworm Jim - another definitive version of a classic
  • Demolition Man - god i love this game & having minimized movie scenes only helps that
  • Eternal Champions - fuck Mortal Kombat, this was the system's fighter
  • Robo Aleste - it wasn't MUSHA, but it wasn't bad!
  • Keio Flying Squadron - hahahahaha no one can afford this
  • Mansion of Hidden Souls - this was a weird, fun adventure title
tumblr_mgvbu28b8Y1r2pz7go1_500.gif

i think i got Ecco just for the OST. loved the pack-ins (arcade collection, sol-feace etc) and even enjoyed the Make My Music Video series more than i should've. also: ill never win that damn frog race in Willie Beamish.

byi99-ocqaa_lphkpsyf.jpg

also, NO POSTING THE BEAR YOU GUYS LET'S BE BETTER THIS TIME Y'ALL *sobs*

Last edited:

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Makes me happy to see this thread come back.

I've got a Lunar mystery to share with ya'll. Awhile ago I messaged Vic Ireland about this rare piece of dialogue from Lunar

83-update2669.png

It only pops up if you beat Myght, and then return to Cadin. Vic responded on the 19th of October and then the old site exploded. Glad to be able to take it here now. His response was really intriguing, so I'd like to get some folks' thoughts on what's going on here.

3IiauUK.png

Vic's Reply:
It's in a number of WD games, and maybe a GW game! Like the hidden audio tracks from the devil, funny hidden dialogue (and in one case a whole scene), hidden messages and other items I like to leave for people to find and figure out, this is a puzzle, too. I don't think anyone has connected the dots, and I wouldn't want to spoil it.

My first thought is that it's somebody's birthday. But I'm not sure what's going. Thoughts?

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
man, there's a thread at gaijinworks where Vic handles all these questions, if he hasn't already....one of us gotta ask there!

YakuzaArk92

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had the opportunity and great fortune to review Earthworm Jim with video game composer, Tommy Tallarico. Tommy also provides some 'behind the scenes' info about the making of EWJ. We also compared the SEGA CD/Genesis and SNES versions of EWJ.

Here's our review:

LJcQVCE.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This thread used to be a lot more lively on the previous forum.

Anyways, I picked up Rise of the Dragon and Fahrenheit. Really hyped to try them out.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Anyways, I picked up Rise of the Dragon and Fahrenheit. Really hyped to try them out.

I think it just comes and goes. It's not like there's much news about it. While I come here anytime there's a new post, I only really post when someone is talking about a game I love or it I'm playing a Sega CD title. Probably others are the same way. Being the end of the year, there's tons of other games to play and people's budgets are too stretched to buy tons of expensive retro titles.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the retro community went to the RGB-board, which is way more lively then this board when it comes to retro.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDK, the RGB forum isn't that lively either. Even when theres a MLiG vid, it barely moves. I'm coming to terms with it all being pretty much dead for now.

Everyone's run off into the woods and became a stalfos. Stalfos, stalfos, everyone's a stalfos.

Last edited:

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Can anyone help me with this? My Sega CD stopped spinning/reading discs a few weeks ago out of nowhere. It worked fine for the 24 or so years that I've had it.

Lemina Ausa

Nov 20, 2017
Netherlands
So glad to see the Lunar love in this thread! I think I like the PSX versions better overall, but Lunar is what got me into JRPGs in the first place and it has a very special place in my heart. I honestly didn't expect to see it mentioned at all when I opened this thread, and instead got a nice, pleasant surprise.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me with this? My Sega CD stopped spinning/reading discs a few weeks ago out of nowhere. It worked fine for the 24 or so years that I've had it.

Was going to suggest trying an audio CD as well, but if it's not even trying, maybe the motor died. It's also possible that's it's just not detecting the disc, in which case the laser lens just needs to be cleaned.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
I have wanted the bubble to burst for years, but yeah, it just doesnt seem like its happening :(

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's cheaper to sign up for Japanese classes at the local community college than it is to collect some English language retro titles.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Was going to suggest trying an audio CD as well, but if it's not even trying, maybe the motor died. It's also possible that's it's just not detecting the disc, in which case the laser lens just needs to be cleaned.
I tried an audio CD, but got the same result. I've cleaned the laser lens multiple times over the past few weeks (and just did again about a minute ago), but it doesn't change anything. I'm guessing motor is probably just dead, then...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think part of it is that this is in the "Hangouts" section and not the main video game one. I made a Master System thread in the main section not knowing one existed in here (even though I did a search ahead of time). I think some of the system threads I did that had a lot of posts (like the Commodore computer ones) would have been less active if they were in this section.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any recs for Japanese Mega CD titles? I have Fhey Area and remember reading about 3x3 Eyes in an old Gamefan, it looked cool.
Game no Kanzume Vol. 2 (a compilation of modem games, I like it for Penguin Land MD), Night Striker (there are more accurate ports of this arcade game but this has a pixelly charm to it), and uncensored Final Fight.

Oct 29, 2017
Any recs for Japanese Mega CD titles? I have Fhey Area and remember reading about 3x3 Eyes in an old Gamefan, it looked cool.

I feel like the most interesting ones are going to mostly be pretty text-heavy. There's what I understand to be a very good (and uncensored) Mega CD port of Shin Megami Tensei 1. Much has been said about the unique Mega CD version of Shadowrun, for which an English fan translation is in progress (if not already complete?).

Nostalgia 1907 seems like an interesting auteur-y period passion project of a game by the company (Takeru) formed by the creators of Mega Man and Strider, but it's so incredibly dense in text that I wouldn't recommend it unless you're fluent in Japanese.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I SAID NO BEARS IN THE OP *sobs again*

I think part of it is that this is in the "Hangouts" section and not the main video game one. I made a Master System thread in the main section not knowing one existed in here (even though I did a search ahead of time). I think some of the system threads I did that had a lot of posts (like the Commodore computer ones) would have been less active if they were in this section.

yeah, also the retro game boards prolly eats some of the traffic, but that's cool too. i loved your threads man, with the main retro one linked to them as well - also gotta check out your SMS one i missed

Game no Kanzume Vol. 2 (a compilation of modem games, I like it for Penguin Land MD),

there's that name, been looking for that one - back on the list it goes

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I love your threads, too.

I'm looking forward to if and when Shadowrun and Shin Megami Tensei get fully translated.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I picked up a Sega CDX but it came with a Model 2 plug. I ordered the CDX plug they have on Retro Game Supply. Is it still ok to use the Model 2 just for the Genesis part?

Also, I noticed that with NBA Jam Sega CD the disc spinning stops every so often. Game plays fine but with really long load times. Eternal Champions Sega CD ran perfectly fine though.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I am hoping one of you fine folks can help me. I managed to get a working Sega CD model 2 however it is missing every case screw. Would anyone mind measuring the screws so I can get the right size?

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a "for parts" Model 2 that wouldn't power on. Figured it was just a fuse, and sure enough it was. Soldered in a replacement.....and it powered on but wouldn't even spin the disc.

Freaked out, then realized it was just the lid switch not making contact :D

Good as new now.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
So I have decided to get serious about expanding my Sega collection again, both Genesis and CD. Picking up a big haul of boxed Genesis titles tomorrow that I'm excited about, including some uncommon games.

My question to you guys is this... What are the best ways to collect now a days without resorting to eBay? I feel like the possibility of stumbling on games at Goodwill, Pawn Shops and Thrift stores is so remote now, it isn't even worth the time. How are you guys finding games?

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yeah, out here i havne't seen a genesis game (even sports) at goodwill in years now.

craiglist might still be an option, i imagine deals trickle through once in a while if you're lucky but resellers usually scoop things up fast, same with garage sales. i'll still see people post an incredible haul from one of those two, but far less frequently in recent years.

i still think one of your best bets is forums like this. there's a ton of classic gaming forums about, and they all have buy/sell threads where people are often willing to let things go a little cheaper (especially if you're seen as a member of said community). honestly, ive prolly pieced more of my collection together from forum pickup threads than anywhere else over the years.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally started spotting home systems on regular shelfs at some goodwills again. I nabbed another early model 1 a couple of weeks ago like that. My friend grabbed some boxed SNES games.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I stopped in a thrift store in my hometown this afternoon and got a CIB copy of Madden 93 and 94 for $4. Not interested in sports turtle at all, but that's two less games I need in my collection! I'm excited about this hail I'm getting tomorrow... If it actually comes through I'll post some pics. It's Genesis not Sega CD, but I doubt anyone reading this thread cares about that

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
You'll have to resort to eBay+patience, or perhaps Goodwill's own online auction site. You can also hang around Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

Your other best bets are local retro game shops (which are rarely cheaper than eBay) and retro game cons/meetups (also rarely cheaper than eBay).

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Absolutely fantastic and criminally undervalued platform. Snatcher alone pushes it up to at least Nintendo 64 tier to me.

The most common game related comment that genuinely triggers me is when people lop in SEGA CD as not only a failure but the start of SEGA's downfall as a whole.

Whoa, this poor topic's been quiet for a long while...

Anyways, I just picked up a Model 1 Mega CD aaaand.....it doesn't work. It appears as though the spindle is not lifting the disc high enough to load.

Is this due to a weak/worn rubber belt on the front gears?

Also, I have Sonic CD coming in from Japan too. Pretty stoked to hear the music with that.