• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Been a long time since I've gotten a new US Saturn game. I think the last ones were Virtua Racing at Goodwill, and Last Bronx at a flea market, both like 5-7+ years ago. Last few Saturn games I got were Japanese versions.

I got Solar Eclipse since I found a cheap copy on eBay, and had watched a few video reviews on it from people that really liked it.

25MI548.jpg

Been thinking of ordering some other games like Saturn Bomberman, Grandia, Dynamite Deka, Decathetele, Winter Heat, Burning Rangers, Steep Slope Sliders, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2 (or the Fukubukuro release with both on one disc), Magical Drop 1/2/3, Magical Hoppers, Black Dawn, Wing Arms, Puyo Puyo Sun, Virtua Fighter Kids, Need for Speed, Shinobi Den/Legions/X, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Astal, Manx TT Super Bike, Amok...mostly been looking at the Japanese releases since those are pretty cheap, but some still have easily affordable US copies. Just not sure which ones to order yet.

You got one of the heaviest hitters out of the way.
Panzer Dragoon Saga? Until a few years ago, I didn't know that it was rare and expensive. I got it back at release. And boy am I glad I did.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Solar Eclipse is cool, it plays like StarFox but has Wing Commander-like FMV cutscenes between missions.

The biggest problem is the difficulty — I personally didn't feel like struggling for months to beat a 25-year-old game that I bought for like $10 so I used the cheat code that refills your shields and gun energy. What sucks is that you have to pause the game and enter like seven inputs, then unpause it, and if you mess up the inputs it'll actually select something from the pause menu instead, possibly causing you to quit the mission. >_< So that was a bit of a pain.

The code, BTW, is
Right, Down, Down, Left, A, Left, Left

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've really been enjoying the game. It's fun, and I love me some ol' FMVs. It's better than I thought it might be.

Haven't felt like using any cheats or anything, but I'll keep its availability in mind. My Action Replay actually has cheats for infinite live and missiles, and infinite energy built-in already, though. But thanks!

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm only just getting into Saturn emulation and really don't know what games I should be looking at. I started with this obvious stuff like the Panzer Dragoon games and Nights Into Dreams, as well as Blazing Heroes, Legend of Oasis, and Die Hard Arcade. What are like the big Saturn games that I'm missing?

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm only just getting into Saturn emulation and really don't know what games I should be looking at. I started with this obvious stuff like the Panzer Dragoon games and Nights Into Dreams, as well as Blazing Heroes, Legend of Oasis, and Die Hard Arcade. What are like the big Saturn games that I'm missing?
First you probably should finish those games. Then you could move into either the Sega arcade stuff (Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Manx TT), fighting games (SFA3, Vampire Savior, KOF97), RPGs (Shining in the Holy Ark, Shining Force 3, Dragon Force), shmups (ridiculous amounts of those), or other cool stuff (Burning Rangers, Enemy Zero, Deep Fear)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Been a long time since I've gotten a new US Saturn game. I think the last ones were Virtua Racing at Goodwill, and Last Bronx at a flea market, both like 5-7+ years ago. Last few Saturn games I got were Japanese versions.

I got Solar Eclipse since I found a cheap copy on eBay, and had watched a few video reviews on it from people that really liked it.

25MI548.jpg

Been thinking of ordering some other games like Saturn Bomberman, Grandia, Dynamite Deka, Decathetele, Winter Heat, Burning Rangers, Steep Slope Sliders, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2 (or the Fukubukuro release with both on one disc), Magical Drop 1/2/3, Magical Hoppers, Black Dawn, Wing Arms, Puyo Puyo Sun, Virtua Fighter Kids, Need for Speed, Shinobi Den/Legions/X, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Astal, Manx TT Super Bike, Amok...mostly been looking at the Japanese releases since those are pretty cheap, but some still have easily affordable US copies. Just not sure which ones to order yet.

Panzer Dragoon Saga? Until a few years ago, I didn't know that it was rare and expensive. I got it back at release. And boy am I glad I did.
Saturn Bomberman is pretty great. I like astal but it is a fairly short game.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
New fan-hacked version of SOTN released.

Supposedly adds QOL and performance improvements.
This is cool as hell to see 4MB expansion modded into games that didn't originally support it. I would love to see 4MB versions of Groove on Fight (as opposed to the 1M currently) or Alpha 2 Gold. Though come to think of it, I don't think they'd be a priorty since folks can just play the arcade versions instead, lol.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio

Fighting Vipers (Japanese version, it's mostly in English, don't worry)

Powerslave (aka Exhumed)

Radiant Silvergun

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Never thought I'd see the day, but it finally happened. Magic Knight Rayearth took the most expensive Saturn Game. Minus the Daytona Netlink edition.

I've also yet to find a damn Decathlete. I don't know how I got those rarer games before it, but here we are.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SSG is currently streaming some Gungriffon. He promises Bulk Slash if he gets enough viewers.
Edit: Streaming it now.
Edit 2: Done

(ignore the thumbnail, his Panzer Dragoon plans fell through)

Last edited:

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
What's everyone doing to preserve their expansion cartridge slot?
I've been using an Action Replay 4M+ for RAM expansion and memory backup, but I've started to have to slide it down 5/6ths of way down for it to register.
I've got a 4MB cartridge as well and it's the same story.
I'm planning on doing a shell swap eventually so I think I'll clean it, the pins don't look bent but the slot looks kind of gross.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When I had my Saturn I only removed the 4 in 1 when I had to box the system up for moves. The cartridge slots are prone to failure, more so than a standard cartridge based console.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
What's everyone doing to preserve their expansion cartridge slot?
I've been using an Action Replay 4M+ for RAM expansion and memory backup, but I've started to have to slide it down 5/6ths of way down for it to register.
I've got a 4MB cartridge as well and it's the same story.
I'm planning on doing a shell swap eventually so I think I'll clean it, the pins don't look bent but the slot looks kind of gross.
I just never take it out no matter if I'm playing a game that needs it or not.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never bother to take the Pro Action Replay 4-in-1 out of my Saturn, recently though it died for some reason (all of my saves from YEARS gone including PDS, it no longer booted up the PAR menu, could no longer boot imports.) but at least I had a spare lying around because I wanted one with the Com port on top, still lost all my saves either way.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I use official carts: mainly the backup one. I don't play games that require more memory
because i own the arcade PCBs for the ones I'm interested in
and had an action replay break one of my Saturns previously. I also really dislike how AR manages memory since it mainly works as a thing I can copy stuff to and from rather than being accessible in game.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to wait on Dragon Force to show up. Still nothing on Decathlete.
5SMkKy5.jpg
Keeping this thread alive. Hope you're enjoying this, had you played it before?

I really feel like this game is underappreciated for a number of reasons. First, the combat is... kind of awesome. Slashes, dash slashes, pierces, jumping downstrikes... there's a fairly diverse way to approach things. But also... villains sliding in half when you kill them as a standard animation is just 😚👌

I have a real soft spot for digitized visuals these days, so that's an instant gimme. And the soundtrack is excellent

Aaaaand the cutscenes. What really needs to be said about the cutscenes. They need to be experienced. I genuinely wish we could games with non-ironically produced FMV cutscenes like this again. They are truly a lost artform.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It's hard but rad as hell. I've never played it before buying recently but I'd put it up there with 2,3 and Shadow Dancer. I also am a lover of FMV and digitized characters, wish we would see more of it in modern games.

mr_chun

Oct 25, 2017
Dawg Country
Hey all. I've had my Saturn for about ten years, but was always scared to collect for it due to the price. I have a few questions.

I'm at the point now where I kinda want to rip the bandaid off and go for one of the big guns - Panzer Dragoon Saga. After watching a few auctions on eBay, it seems like market price is around $850. I remember thinking as a college student back then that $250 was ridiculous - and now look at it go haha. Does $850 seem about right?

Anything I should be looking for to spot a fake? It doesn't seem like many are in the Saturn faking business. What's the difference between the white and black sleeves for the extra discs?

Final question. If you had ~$100 to spend, which Saturn games would you get to kick-start your collection? The only game I have is NiGHTS.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Final question. If you had ~$100 to spend, which Saturn games would you get to kick-start your collection? The only game I have is NiGHTS.
I believe Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally Championship are both relatively cheap and are definitely must-haves for the console. Fighters Megamix and Fighting Vipers would be great as well, but are more quirky/idiosyncratic releases. Definitely give them all a look. But no self-respecting Saturn owner would be without VF2 and SRC.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

You can find the Saturn 3-pack for about $50 CIB. That'll give you VF2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA, which are all iconic Saturn Sega games. As for the remaining $50, have you considered buying a Saturn Action Replay Plus? That'll open up the ability to play imports. A lot of the best Saturn titles were left in Japan.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
$100 for a Saturn game?

Real answer: stick with Japanese games as much as possible. For $100, I would look at fighting games. VF, Megamix, etc. Also throw in Clockwork Knight and Panzer Dragoon.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Hey all. I've had my Saturn for about ten years, but was always scared to collect for it due to the price. I have a few questions.

I'm at the point now where I kinda want to rip the bandaid off and go for one of the big guns - Panzer Dragoon Saga. After watching a few auctions on eBay, it seems like market price is around $850. I remember thinking as a college student back then that $250 was ridiculous - and now look at it go haha. Does $850 seem about right?

Anything I should be looking for to spot a fake? It doesn't seem like many are in the Saturn faking business. What's the difference between the white and black sleeves for the extra discs?

Depends on your tastes but as someone above said, look into some of the Japanese import titles as they're usually much cheaper. In particular, the capcom 2D fighters( Xmen, marvel Super heroes, xmen vs street fighter, Street fighter alpha) are much cheaper on the Japanese side than the NA versions. And, subjective opinion, I think the cover art is better. I also recall paying something like $10 for the Japanese Christmas Nights into dreams a few years ago. According to gameye app the NA version currently tracks at $70 CIB.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i would mod my saturn for way less, or look into that memory card workaround

id then buy a spindle and think about the tens of thousands ive saved while exploring the fantastic library at my leisure~

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
$100 for a Saturn game?

Real answer: stick with Japanese games as much as possible. For $100, I would look at fighting games. VF, Megamix, etc. Also throw in Clockwork Knight and Panzer Dragoon.

Listen to this man. I've got 60 Saturn games and only 5 of them are US releases.

You can buy 2-3 of the "core classics" for $100 if you get Japanese releases (I recommend a JP buying service, not US eBay), you'd be lucky to get 1 CIB US release worth owning for that much.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Satiator has arrived today DHL from the US of A. Glorious. Just loading some of my ISOs on the SD Card, tried one title quick, menu is basic as hell, but its so seamless.

(copies of my legally owned collection - mods!)

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
Had a new arrival so I did some new years cleaning around my room and put most of my Sega games in a shelf I was using for books and amiibo.
G2RNJKn.jpg

gejEJkW.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a reprint, but the Sonic R is legit in an old DVD case.
kGdQ8tI.jpg

8lqksMS.jpg
7oVSUwY.jpg
The new arrival was Dead or Alive, which arrived shortly after I found a Hori stick for sale in my province.
Ndss8nv.jpg

Super fluid :D
F6ZrNK2.jpg

But I'm actually playing Shining The Holy Ark right now, it's super fun and the music is great. Honestly all an RPG needs to hook me is a fair encounter rate and a kick ass ost.
Don't think there's too many more Saturn games I'm realistically going to buy anytime soon, would love a copy of Shining since that's occupying my time right now but that's pretty dang expensive.
H4vDVWL.jpg

The current games I have burned that I'd love to buy one day/My stealth recommendation list in addition to what's in the picture:
Shining the Holy Ark
Albert Odyssey
Dragon Force
Burning Rangers (U)
Guardian Heroes
Saturn Bomberman
Panzer Dragoon Trilogy
Fighters Megamix
Sega Ages: Outrun
Groove On Fight
Bulk Slash
Daytona USA CE (J)
Groove On Fight
Fighters Megamix

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I was playing Dead or Alive earlier as well! Great pick up!

(In my case, though, I was playing the Xbox port of the Saturn port.)

Satiator has arrived today DHL from the US of A. Glorious. Just loading some of my ISOs on the SD Card, tried one title quick, menu is basic as hell, but its so seamless.

(copies of my legally owned collection - mods!)

Awesome to hear yours came in - I'm also glad to see others are enjoying it as much as I am.

The one aspect I wish was a bit more seamless is when the Saturn CD menu pops up briefly - I wish it could just boot directly to menu without going through that menu screen.

Speaking of games I'm playing on the Satiator - I'm working my way through this game for the first time thanks to the device. Pretty fun game, though the encounter rate can get a little grating. Not sure what else to expect though, from a traditional JRPG from this time.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I looked at the Satiator website and noticed the $10K price point, haha. I assume it's an out-of-stock notification thing but I wonder if there are any rich, impatient people willing to pony up, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
and I imagine that will go away when all of the patreon people who want one actually buy theirs...He'll probably change the price to reflect what his actual asking price is when all the orders have completed. it 250 or 260$

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Awesome to hear yours came in - I'm also glad to see others are enjoying it as much as I am.

The one aspect I wish was a bit more seamless is when the Saturn CD menu pops up briefly - I wish it could just boot directly to menu without going through that menu screen.

Agreed. I also find mine doesn't load on first time powering up the Saturn, I have to power cycle it once, then when it goes to the BIOS CD Menu then it loads.

It might be because my backup clock battery has died. The date and time screen pop-ups.

Also going to have to figure out how multi-disc games work, there was a Patreon post a while back detailing it - which comes to my first and only real complaint, despite the initial setup guide that can be found online, theres no manual for this thing, not even a downloadable .pdf. This would help detail all the little things you can/cannot do i.e folder support etc.

Whilst it still works great, it still feels very 'Beta', hopefully Dr. Abrasive builds a nice menu once the firmware has been sufficiently updated. It would be nice if some of the concepts he detailed early on get used.

More thorough documentation is much needed!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
In terms of emulation on Windows what's generally one of the best options these days

Yaba Sanshiro standalone emulator?

One of the Retroarch cores? (I believe currently there's Yaba Sanshiro, Beetle, Yabause and Kronos)

Or is there something else?

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what this unlabeled catridge is/does?

hAGguFa.jpeg

I'm wondering if it's either a RAM expansion card or a memory card instead.