Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
banner.png

It's now May 12th in Japan, a day that marks the 20th anniversary of Capcom's Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, arguably one of the greatest fighting games ever made. The third and final instalment in the Street Fighter 3 sub series, 3rd Strike refined the 2D sprite-based gameplay and mechanics of its predecessors while systematically revamping the look and feel of the game with a new soundtrack (with multiple tracks written and performed by rapper Infinite), new stages, new voice acting, new endings and new UI.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike also saw the addition of five new characters, including series legend and fan favourite Chun Li. Boosting the roster up to 19 characters, 3rd Strike (and the SF3 sub series) was infamous for featuring very little returning characters from previous Street Fighter games, instead introducing many new characters led by Alex, the new protagonist over gaming icon Ryu.

f1df027983245.560b55188dbbb.png

3rd Strike improved greatly on the gameplay introduced in its predecessors New Generation and 2nd Impact. In addition to the infamous Parry System, 3rd Strike introduced the Red Parry, a more precise version of a Parry that allows players to parry during guard stun. Also introduced were player evaluations after each match, ranking a player from E (the lowest) to MSF [Master Street Fighter] (the highest). Brought back from New Generation and 2nd Impact were the Super Arts, three unique special moves for each character that ranged from powerful hadokens to brutal hyper bombs.

sfiii3.png
158490-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-dreamcast-screenshot-the-mysterious.png

158487-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-dreamcast-screenshot-twelve.png
158485-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-dreamcast-screenshot-another.png
158486-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-dreamcast-screenshot-there-are.png
158489-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-dreamcast-screenshot-third-strike.png

Since it's initial release in arcades 20 years ago, 3rd Strike has seen numerous re-releases over the years. In 2000 it was released on the Sega Dreamcast, its first appearance on home consoles. A PlayStation 2 version would be released in 2004, bundled together with Hyper Street Fighter II in North America and standalone in Japan, with an Xbox version included in a Street Fighter Anniversary Collection releasing the same year. In 2011, a new version titled Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 by Iron Galaxy Studios, with enhanced visual settings and GGPO-built online play. Online Edition reached #8 on the PSN download sales chart and still sees an active online player base today. The latest re-release of Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike was in May 2018, included in the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection with the other 2D sprite based Street Fighter games.

Over the years, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike has gained a cult following within the fighting game community, with its rise in growth attributed to the iconic Daigo Umehara Parry, otherwise known as EVO Moment 37. As we reach 20 years since its first release, 3rd Strike continues to have a very passionate fanbase, with numerous re-releases and hundreds of fighting game tournaments (including the annual Cooperation Cup in Japan) occurring over the last two decades. As it reaches its latest milestone, it feels safe to say that Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike has more than left its mark in fighting game history.

colorswap.php
"We await your return, Warrior..."
colorswap.php

So Era, it's been 20 years! Join me in celebrating this amazing game and share your memories and thoughts on it!

Last edited:

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
The game that got me seriusly into fighting games, third strike = evo moment 37. One cant be without the other.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
First time I played Third Strike was on the PS2 Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Let's just say I did not play Hyper Street Fighter II after getting my hands on Third Strike.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this game properly, but it has my favorite competitive gaming moment of all time attached to it.

The pixel art is beautiful.

I really don't know how I missed this game being a huge fan of SF2 and the EX and Alpha series at the time it was released.

What's the best way to play it today if I have a ps4 and a PC?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've never played this game properly, but it has my favorite competitive gaming moment of all time attached to it.

I really don't know how I missed this game being a huge fan of SF2 and the EX and Alpha series at the time it was released.

...the sf 30th anniversary collection that released last year :p

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is available on PS4 and PC and has 3rd Strike as well as the other 2D sprite SF games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
20 years later and there have still been very few games with spritework in the ballpark of 3S' beauty.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful sprites, great music, really cool characters... But what a shitty game when it comes to mechanics.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Beats and beats and beats
now they're in your head too

The animation is this game is still unmatched and will never be touched. Only Garou is close (2D games obv).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
...the sf 30th anniversary collection that released last year :p
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is available on PS4 and PC and has 3rd Strike as well as the other 2D sprite SF games.
These games are not always good collections from what I gather, and I pay little attention to older remasters of fighting games (not my scene), but that anniversary collection always did kind of interest me for the pure nostalgia of it...

As y'all are recommending it, I'll add it to my list. Thank you!

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
It was a shame that I was too infatuated with the "V.s" series of games to appreciate the greatness of SFIII when it just hit. "Capcom vs." just seemed so much cooler to me back then.

Now it seems like SFIII:3S aged better than most of those games.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
With ST the best Street Fighter games ever made. So many good memories, so many friends... I love this game forever. It was the reason why I got a Dreamcast in 2000.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely on a hunt to get a 3s arcade pcb and possible cab. Likely the cab part will have to wait but I need one. Anyone who has info on the best way to go about this let's me know if you'd be so kind. Last I followed of the 3s arcade scene was phoenix carts becoming a thing.

I have strong desires to have 3s in my home and make a versus setup. Even if I have to build the cabs myself.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the 30th anniversary collection is "mixed" on steam and sounds like it's not really worth it for someone looking to dip in and mess around with single player stuff. Bummer.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Game was great. Was the last street fighter game that I really got into. And that evo moment? Will never forget it

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like artist Motoki Yoshihara is sharing some of his previous 3S artworks in celebration of the 20th anniversary;

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
20 years, phew. I never played 3rd Strike in the arcades, but I was there the night they rolled SF3 in to my local arcade, we were pretty excited to get our hands on it. The excitement died down a bit by the second iteration, and I'd stopped going by the time Third Strike came out. Decline of the arcades in a single game.

Best SF? I'm a big fan of Alpha 2, but I'd probably go with 3rd Strike as best SF.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
story was weird though

Isn't Alex considered like the "chosen one" of the SF universe or something

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This still has the best atmosphere and vibe out of any of the SF games. A lot has to do with the soundtrack, but also the character and stage design. Everything "pops" and feels colorful, and the new characters have a very different feel to them than the older ones.

Also Remy > Guile, don't @ me

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
So how unbalanced did it end up being in the end? Years ago when it was getting its resurgence in popularity I used to see people talking about how broken Chun Li and Yun were and how disproportionately represented they were in competition.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite fighter of all time. I wish I knew someone in person to play it with me as much as I did some other fighters.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
3rd Strike's music is so good I used it in a video I made. With that said, it's a great fighting game that has absolutely stood the test of time. I played it a lot in the 30th Anniversary Collection. Beats are in my head, indeed!
216546f9a1b65c8b362969e832cac4f2.jpg

Dat artwork! So good!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Makoto in Third Strike is one of my favorite characters to play ever.
Makoto is the best animated sprite character in video games.

She was actually going to be in 2nd Impact but they ran out of time to implement her.

http://shmuplations.com/sfiii/

Ishizawa: Alright, I'll tell you guys a little secret. We actually finished Makoto's design during 2nd Impact's development. But for various reasons, we ran out of time to include her there, and resolved to include her next time. And so we did!

Murata: That happens a lot actually. Like Hugo, in the first SFIII game.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
best fighting game ost and it's not even close

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful art and music, but the rest not so much. Parrying is awful.

Vampire Savior is probably my tops Capcom 2D sprite based fighter. Then Alpha 2 and finishing out my top three with Super Turbo.