• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Apologies for so many images, but I just dug everything up and took some pics! Luckily I bought all this stuff when it was cheap in 2009 or so.

The Stone Blue console and the first batch of games are sealed, albeit with those damn price stickers on the plastic of two of the games. They don't seem easy to remove. I found some extra manuals and a sealed AC adapter after I took the pics.

YgsCmy1.jpg
IqseRor.jpg
OBuGM88.jpg
22hFhud.jpg
gn6PVdb.jpg
s1VH1lc.jpg
HN5YTis.jpg
A0jxDyo.jpg
oKWzOq0.jpg
XNhGg4h.jpg

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for so many images, but I just dug everything up and took some pics! Luckily I bought all this stuff when it was cheap in 2009 or so.

The Stone Blue console and the first batch of games are sealed, albeit with those damn price stickers on the plastic of two of the games. They don't seem easy to remove. I found some extra manuals and a sealed AC adapter after I took the pics.

YgsCmy1.jpg
IqseRor.jpg
OBuGM88.jpg
22hFhud.jpg
gn6PVdb.jpg
s1VH1lc.jpg
HN5YTis.jpg
A0jxDyo.jpg
oKWzOq0.jpg
XNhGg4h.jpg
That's a lot of money right there!

Just received my IPS screen, will install tomorrow!

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
That's a lot of money right there!

Just received my IPS screen, will install tomorrow!
I know, I just looked up a bunch of stuff on eBay, I may sell a few things, but I don't have doubles of quite a few.

Kinda mad at myself for selling so much at the time thinking it may never get expensive. I remember selling a sealed Platinum console for $120 lmao. I also opened the US clear console just to look at it 🤦‍♀️

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
That's a great collection, really envious of the Crystal versions of the console, they look so good.

Cardboard versions, I could never find them at a good price, but those 4-pack blisters is what my collection was made of back in the day. Terrific deal.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
That's a great collection, really envious of the Crystal versions of the console, they look so good.

Cardboard versions, I could never find them at a good price, but those 4-pack blisters is what my collection was made of back in the day. Terrific deal.
Yea, those were great. I just realized that Faselei is the JP version though. That's pretty weird, it's one of the few games that doesn't play in English based on system settings iirc. There is a US version and I think it was blister pack only, so why is mine JP? 😂

Kinda sucks, I thought that pack was worth quite a bit more based on that being an English release. Luckily I bought that PAL copy for myself though.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, I just looked up a bunch of stuff on eBay, I may sell a few things, but I don't have doubles of quite a few.

Kinda mad at myself for selling so much at the time thinking it may never get expensive. I remember selling a sealed Platinum console for $120 lmao. I also opened the US clear console just to look at it 🤦‍♀️
Well if you're looking to sell that loose copy of Dark Arms and US version of Neo Turf Masters, I'm looking for them! :P

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Well if you're looking to sell that loose copy of Dark Arms and US version of Neo Turf Masters, I'm looking for them! :P
Sorry I can't, it's my only copy of Dark Arms, and I'm trying to keep 2 copies of all multiplayer games that I have.

Edit: Dark Arms isn't too bad on eBay at least. And only the US copy of Neo Turf Masters is spendy.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
My word Cheesebu. What a collection. Take a bow.

I love that funky blue one.
Thanks! It took a few years of mostly buying lots and reselling many extras to get it all. There are a few games I still wish I had boxed but I'm probably done considering the prices now.

I had one in high school so I had a lot of nostalgia for it. Back then I had a camo blue, which I wish I still had but I sold it at some point. I was close to buying another but I had to stop buying the hardware at some point, or my now wife was gonna lose it lol.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! It took a few years of mostly buying lots and reselling many extras to get it all. There are a few games I still wish I had boxed but I'm probably done considering the prices now.

I had one in high school so I had a lot of nostalgia for it. Back then I had a camo blue, which I wish I still had but I sold it at some point. I was close to buying another but I had to stop buying the hardware at some point, or my now wife was gonna lose it lol.
Haha. At least you bought the stuff over time. I only got into buying it over the past few months because of this thread, mainly. I'd considered it before, but I definitely blame this thread now. It's all the fault of Vinegar Joe ;-)

I'm trying not to buy anymore games, they're too expensive for my liking. I have the NGPC with the backlight installed, now I want to get a backlight fitted into the slim model.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Haha. At least you bought the stuff over time. I only got into buying it over the past few months because of this thread, mainly. I'd considered it before, but I definitely blame this thread now. It's all the fault of Vinegar Joe ;-)

I'm trying not to buy anymore games, they're too expensive for my liking. I have the NGPC with the backlight installed, now I want to get a backlight fitted into the slim model.
That's awesome, I want to do that but I'm scared of it, and generally not good at that kind of thing. I ordered an Analogue Pocket so hopefully that will be good enough whenever they put the NGPC adapter up for sale.

Of course it won't be the same without the clicky stick and will be much harder to play many of the games, but it will be nice to have the option of playing on the TV.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome, I want to do that but I'm scared of it, and generally not good at that kind of thing. I ordered an Analogue Pocket so hopefully that will be good enough whenever they put the NGPC adapter up for sale.

Of course it won't be the same without the clicky stick and will be much harder to play many of the games, but it will be nice to have the option of playing on the TV.
Oh, I didn't install the backlight myself. I paid someone to do it! I don't think I'd ever attempt it.

I've got the Analogue Pocket on preorder too! For some reason I reckon I'll be fine on some games without the stick. I can definitely see myself being okay with the D-pad for MotM.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017

YgsCmy1.jpg
IqseRor.jpg
OBuGM88.jpg
22hFhud.jpg
gn6PVdb.jpg
s1VH1lc.jpg
HN5YTis.jpg
A0jxDyo.jpg
oKWzOq0.jpg
XNhGg4h.jpg

DAMN! You got a sealed 4-pack with freaking Faselei in it. :O

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Job's done! New IPS display with a glass screen.

3OAWD1w.jpg

Absolutely stunning results, I'm very satisfied! I don't regret doing the solder job to be able to adjust the display as well because it wasn't perfectly centered, so I really recommend it. A very thin, small hair seems to have gotten between the display and the glass, but I don't mind that much since it doesn't show while playing, you really need to look at the screen directly from a light to notice it.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017

3OAWD1w.jpg

Absolutely stunning results, I'm very satisfied! I don't regret doing the solder job to be able to adjust the display as well because it wasn't perfectly centered, so I really recommend it. A very thin, small hair seems to have gotten between the display and the glass, but I don't mind that much since it doesn't show while playing, you really need to look at the screen directly from a light to notice it.

I love my IPS screen too, it's excellent. Nice job!

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017

YgsCmy1.jpg
Amazing collection! Those crystal ones are a thing of beauty, I'm jealous.

3OAWD1w.jpg

Great job! And also good taste with the superior sliver ;) I've added this and most of the ones posted so far to the OP.

I regret nothing! Apart from not buying more UK boxed games when I had the chance.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great job! And also good taste with the superior sliver ;) I've added this and most of the ones posted so far to the OP.
Thanks! I was a bit hesistant at first to put the IPS screen in that OG case, after all it's pretty old and still in good condition, but in the end I bought it to play with it and wasn't willing to spend an extra 50$ for a new case, so I went with it. :P

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

3OAWD1w.jpg

That looks lovely.
Amazing collection! Those crystal ones are a thing of beauty, I'm jealous.

I regret nothing! Apart from not buying more UK boxed games when I had the chance.
I really regret not investing in this system back in the day when it was widely available for sale.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my relatively modest collection if anyone is interested:

czzyfGk.jpg

Some fun-ish facts about my collection:
  • Faselei! is obviously the attention grabber here, but it's not actually the rarest game - that would be KoF R-1. It's the B&W euro version which you hardly ever see.
  • I won the NGP in a giveaway on neo-geo.com (along with an AES copy of KoF 96 and a VW Beetle, but that's another story...)
  • Look close enough and you'll see some water damage on a couple of games. One spilt drink and a life time of tears... unfortunately most noticeable on KoF R-1 and Gals Fighters.
  • Yes I bought some US games, primarily because they were cheaper to import at the time than buying the UK versions. Damn my younger self.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

czzyfGk.jpg

• Faselei! is obviously the attention grabber here, but it's not actually the rarest game - that would be KoF R-1. It's the B&W euro version which you hardly ever see.
  • I won the NGP in a giveaway on neo-geo.com (along with an AES copy of KoF 96 and a VW Beetle, but that's another story...)
  • Look close enough and you'll see some water damage on a couple of games. One spilt drink and a life time of tears... unfortunately most noticeable on KoF R-1 and Gals Fighters.
  • Yes I bought some US games, primarily because they were cheaper to import at the time than buying the UK versions. Damn my younger self.
It's good stuff, great collection! At this point I just dropped the idea of collecting any boxed version, shit's too expensive and I should've went in way earlier. :P

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

czzyfGk.jpg

A beetle?????

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, some dude on neo-geo.com forums was giving away a VW Beetle to a random poster in a thread, and IIRC his 'secretary' liked the Fio avatar I had at the time so I 'won'. Now, this dude was based in Mexico so of course it never appeared and he suddenly went very quiet after that. I always knew it was bullshit, but it was fun to play along. I should go to Mexico and demand my Beetle...

At least the NGP and the AES game were genuine! I'm not exactly eager to go back to those forums, but I guess it wasn't all bad. Just a tad toxic.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

czzyfGk.jpg

Nice collection. I'd love to get the Metal Slug games but I think I'd settle for the ports on the Switch collection if they're included. I really wish I was buying this stuff when it was widely available.

I'm less fussed about boxed stuff for carts these days. Not much space plus too expensive!

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020

czzyfGk.jpg

Very nice collection! Is that boxed console a regular NGPocket, rather than Color? I've never played one of those.

Also, you need Dive Alert! It's pretty cheap nowadays. I haven't played it since launch but I remember really enjoying it. I can still remember some of the music.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some dude on neo-geo.com forums was giving away a VW Beetle to a random poster in a thread, and IIRC his 'secretary' liked the Fio avatar I had at the time so I 'won'. Now, this dude was based in Mexico so of course it never appeared and he suddenly went very quiet after that. I always knew it was bullshit, but it was fun to play along. I should go to Mexico and demand my Beetle...

At least the NGP and the AES game were genuine! I'm not exactly eager to go back to those forums, but I guess it wasn't all bad. Just a tad toxic.
Haha that's freaking wild, man.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice collection! Is that boxed console a regular NGPocket, rather than Color? I've never played one of those.

Also, you need Dive Alert! It's pretty cheap nowadays. I haven't played it since launch but I remember really enjoying it. I can still remember some of the music.
Yeah it's the B&W NGP. It has a really funky screen that's kind of difficult to describe without seeing in person. It's as if the black sits slightly higher than the white background, giving it a very subtle 3D effect. I find it slightly off-putting to be honest. It's not a good screen and suffers from bad motion blur.

If you try to use a colour game, it also displays different incompatibility messages depending on the game; some like MOTM show different artwork you can only view via an NGP. One game even has a mini game you can only access via this method which is pretty cool: https://www.obsoleteworlds.com/neo-geo-pocket---the-secret-screens.html

Other than that, there's really not a good reason to own one besides the novelty value.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
A few weeks back I ordered some new plastic cases for my loose games. Should be here soon, will let you know if they are any good.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
One of my white whales arrived today:

rw6y86u.jpg

In basically perfect condition too. The original was one of my favorite games from childhood, so I'm really excited to play this one. I read some Japanese, but man playing it on an unbacklit screen trying to read the minute, pixelated kanji is brutal lol.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
One of my white whales arrived today:

rw6y86u.jpg

In basically perfect condition too. The original was one of my favorite games from childhood, so I'm really excited to play this one. I read some Japanese, but man playing it on an unbacklit screen trying to read the minute, pixelated kanji is brutal lol.
Nice. I didn't know this exists. Was it released in the west?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Well, the replacement protector cases for carts arrived from China after about 2 months.

They look the part, but don't have any logos or marking on them. The issue is that they are very fragile, the plastic that unites the two halves is very thin, to the point that one of the 10 that I ordered was already cut clean. So I'm not going to even link to ebay, I don't think they are worth it. I was going to use them mostly for my doubles anyway.

Edit: now that I have all the games in their cases, I have changed my mind. They do their thing, they could be a little bit better.

Here is the link if you are interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333358475770

Last edited:

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I was going through some boxes and found a Metal Slug 1st Mission game that I bought from a KB Toys back in the early 2000s. I have no idea of its worth, but I believe it was resaled by them as the plastic wrap is hard and doesn't look like the factory seal in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUCMPpYnyk) or that I saw on eBay. I posted on the NGPC subreddit and they also thought it was a reseal. I can't decide if I should keep it "sealed" and throw it up on the BST thread or not.

Here are pictures: https://imgur.com/a/SfvlyrP

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the replacement protector cases for carts arrived from China after about 2 months.

They look the part, but don't have any logos or marking on them. The issue is that they are very fragile, the plastic that unites the two halves is very thin, to the point that one of the 10 that I ordered was already cut clean. So I'm not going to even link to ebay, I don't think they are worth it. I was going to use them mostly for my doubles anyway.

Edit: now that I have all the games in their cases, I have changed my mind. They do their thing, they could be a little bit better.

Here is the link if you are interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333358475770
Glad they worked out OK in the end. I wonder if they're the same as these? I'm tempted for the few loose carts I have hanging around...
https://www.zedlabz.com/products/ga...-protective-hard-plastic-3-pack-clear-zedlabz
I was going through some boxes and found a Metal Slug 1st Mission game that I bought from a KB Toys back in the early 2000s. I have no idea of its worth, but I believe it was resaled by them as the plastic wrap is hard and doesn't look like any of the factory seals I saw on eBay. I posted on the NGPC subreddit and they also thought it was a reseal. I can't decide if I should keep it "sealed" and throw it up on the BST thread or not.

I've never seen a sealed US game so can't really say. Nice find though!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I was going through some boxes and found a Metal Slug 1st Mission game that I bought from a KB Toys back in the early 2000s. I have no idea of its worth, but I believe it was resaled by them as the plastic wrap is hard and doesn't look like the factory seal in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUCMPpYnyk) or that I saw on eBay. I posted on the NGPC subreddit and they also thought it was a reseal. I can't decide if I should keep it "sealed" and throw it up on the BST thread or not.

If you do put it up for sale, could you also post in here to link to the BST thread, please? I may be interested.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
If Cifaldi hadn't blown it out on Twitter and instead emailed or messaged some folks that could've helped, they probably would have gotten it. Kind of his own fault tbh

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
If Cifaldi hadn't blown it out on Twitter and instead emailed or messaged some folks that could've helped, they probably would have gotten it. Kind of his own fault tbh

The chances of the person they were bidding against not being aware of the listing before Cifaldi's tweet are slim to none. If you're going to spend $15k on Neo Geo Pocket prototype carts, it's not on a whim immediately after noticing a tweet.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Yep, the arcade rom dumpers only disclose their biddings after they've been secured. This auction was handled poorly.