• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Athlete Kings was the fucking shit.

Yup. My first experience with the game was from the demo. I then made it my mission to find and purchase the full version. Me and my mates played the hell out of it, each of us trying to better each others score in each of the events. Fantastic game.

Shining The Holy Ark is still my favourite Saturn game. The story, battle system, perspective (loved Shining in the Darkness back in the day ) and music are all top notch. The battle music is one of my favourites out of any JRPG.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Best topic I have seen on any forum in a long time.

I wish the OP added the names for the games. One of them I don't recognise. Is that Cotton underneath Dark Savior?

If Sega released a Saturn Mini I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Same here. The Saturn remains my most played console till this day.

It is and it isn't. That unlockable mode is missing too many features from the original to count as a replacement.

What features are missing.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. I had one back in the day and it was such a lonely feeling, nobody seemed to care about the system including the press.
I had to spend a fortune on SSM just to have something to read about the console and its games.
Where were you people back then? :)

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
I wish the OP added the names for the games. One of them I don't recognise. Is that Cotton underneath Dark Savior?
It's Keio Flying Squadron 2.

169499-lunacy-sega-saturn-front-cover.png

Saturn gave me this jem.
This was named Torico in Europe and I remember liking it much more than the super-hyped Enemy Zero.

It had such an incredibly unique tone and atmosphere and the entire world had a very mysterious, eerie, feel to it. I've never played anything like it, it was kinda like exploring a David Lynch-style world.

Dark Savior

Last edited:

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah - I loved my Saturn. So many good memories.
And shout out to you OP for the Dark Savior love. <3

My favorite games:
- Sega Rally
- Virtua Fighter 2 (I still don't know how to be good with Akira lol)
- Exhumed
- Dark Savior
- Tomb Raider
- Panzer Dragoon 2
- Saturn Bomberman
- WorldWide Soccer 97
- NBA Jam Extreme

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I recently picked up another Saturn after the one that's been with me for the last 8 or so years failed to load one of the opening FMVs in Grandia. It was able to do so upon cleaning the disc off again (though it appared clean), but everything sounds like a struggle. I was lucky enough to find a "I picked this up (new) from a toy store that closed down a few years ago in my area" listing on Yahoo Auctions and ...

What a difference. It no longer sounds like it's in physical pain. I don't know if it's the case or not, but it sounds like it takes literally half the time to seek what it's looking for on the disc.

As for what the Saturn is great at, I guess the consensus would be shooting games and fighting games? Two genres I don't really play, but I love the Saturn regardless.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I remember we had the xmen fighting game, virtual fighter, panza dragoon, time crisis and another lightgun game. They were awesome

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Cyber Doll is a cyberpunk RPG. You build up your stats by destroying criminals and taking their body parts for your own. You can even equip brains. I don't know how that works but whatever. The combat is sorta similar to Front Mission in that every weapon has a certain usable range, plus you can target specific parts like arms, legs, chest, or head. You can render enemies helpless by destroying their arms, or go straight for the kill by targeting the head.

In theory I would be really into this title, even if it was nonsense, but the "AIDS" thing is just too me.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The Sega Saturn.

iWSair7.jpg

That lovable, awkward, brilliant, catastrophe of a console, devastatingly mismanaged by its creator. It lacked the affordability of the Master System, the boldness of the Game Gear, the popularity of the Mega Drive/Genesis, and the focus of the Dreamcast. The design was flawed and expensive, development was a nightmare and the launch was a debacle.

It's best selling title was a paltry number of NFL units, which lasted until the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64 graced the Saturn's market in the same way that M Bison graces villages on Tuesdays.

Despite all of these limitations, the Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER in particular measures. We're going to celebrate these small, arbitrary, selective victories here today, in a way that Sega never has.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… multitap multiplayer

If you had the controllers and the multitaps, the Sega Saturn offered something that – to this day – is unheard of.

Ten player simultaneous gaming on a single console, in one room, on one TV.

gmWK1S1.gif

Saturn Bomberman is the best incarnation of the franchise. It is supported by a range of modes, characters and arenas. (The single player story-mode, driven by lunatic anime cut scenes, is also an absolute winner). Ten player explosive fun on old-fashioned wired controllers.

NKB04sY.gif

Guardian Heroes offered six-player 2D battles with a range of combatants. Activating debug mode enabled all 50-something NPCs as selectable characters, ranging from peasants to Gods. As the single-player game had multiple narrative pathways with multiple possible final boss encounters, the multiplayer allows all six final bosses (and more) to fight it out in a chaotic battle of magical explosions and laser spells.

S9jaaU3.gif

Death Tank Zwei is a deceptive-looking game. Beneath its simple, functional graphics lies one of the greatest party games of all time. It's Worms in real time, with an economy, multiple options for movement, and surprise mode changes (Blitz Mode!). Rounds can last seconds, and games are played with dozens of rounds in sequence. Seven players, one screen, explosions and jump-jets, nukes and hover-coils, shields and homing-missiles – the game is frantic but the players are offered an enormous choice of tactics.

For console local multiplayer for over four players, these three games are an uncontested triad, and are only together in one place.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… demo discs

The Saturn didn't have many demo discs. But some were extraordinarily notable.

E4em9T9.jpg

This was the best Demo Disk Ever – the complete first disk of Panzer Dragoon Saga. I got twenty hours of fantastic gameplay from this disc, it had so much more content than most gamers anticipated.

r5TyyRC.jpg

Christmas NiGHTS. A special edition of Sonic Team's amazing NiGHTS into Dreams containing an enormous environment that transformed depending on the Sega Saturn's internal calendar. Load the game at Christmas, Winter, New Year, April Fools Day, and in other seasons to have a different experience, in which the title-screen, music, character models, graphics and weather effects all varied.

This was supported by an unlockables system which introduced new features upon completion, including Sonic into Dreams:

jYcqKaH.gif

A free 3D Sonic game played out in the NiGHTS engine including its own Doctor Robotnik boss (complete with a lovely Sonic CD Final Fever remix).

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… violent shouting violent advertising

In the west, the Saturn's adverts were unremarkable. In Japan however, something wonderful happened:

3yi6yeO.gif

Segata Sanshiro, superhuman martial artist, was the Saturn's ambassador. He threw his enemies so hard they exploded, and he shouted at children commanding them to play the Sega Saturn. Violence and shouting and more violence, juxtaposed very occasionally with bits of footage from the games.

Segata could not exist beyond the life of the Sega Saturn. In the run-up to the Dreamcast's launch, a commercial was commissioned that would be the end of the Sanshiro legend. As a fiendish competitor launched a missile towards Sega HQ, Sega Sanshiro threw himself in its path, guiding the missile into orbit. A safe distance from the planet, the missile exploded, killing the Saturn's hero, and allowing its successor to live. All of our amazing experiences with the Dreamcast, were paid for in Sanshiro's blood.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… playing Quake and Duke Nukem 3D on 32-bit (shame about DOOM though)

No one ever managed to port Quake to the PlayStation. It was a killer app, but no one was able to do it.

Lobotomy Software, the gods of Saturn FPS development, were able to get the game running incredibly well on the inferior 3D hardware, even adding in features missing from the PC release such as real-time coloured lighting. Some of the Saturn-exclusive levels were also impressive, including an ambitious arena mode, in which the QuakeGuy could summon enemies to fight each other in a best-of-three sequence.

Duke Nukem 3D was a masterpiece on the Saturn, not only bettering the PlayStation release in stability – but also bettering the efforts of the mighty Nintendo 64. The release was completely uncensored, and thanks to Lobotomy's skills with the hardware, also contained the updated real-time coloured lighting update.

DOOM unfortunately was a disaster, ported by the wrong team who had been forbidden from using the Saturn's architecture properly by iD – a decision they now regret in hindsight.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… 5th Generation 2D and isometric

When the fifth generation happened, the world went crazy for 3D. 2D was not cool, and did not sell. While the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were made for the 3D world, the Sega Saturn was not – and while some developers did 3D wonders with the Saturn's limited architecture, it was 2D where the real magic happened. The genres and styles of the Mega Drive/Genesis continued to evolve on the Saturn, and they were often weird and wonderful:

OpAx6LA.gif
5jLYpzP.gif

UbZ7Qzg.gif
VqC32gN.gif

3xEqGyE.gif
dVtQ7Pf.gif

The Saturn had a powerhouse of 2D and isometric games in an era that shunned them: Fighters, platformers, strategy, RPG, action adventure, puzzle, sports, point-and-click, and more. An extraordinary library.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… the best official magazine

The Official Sega Saturn Magazine was the best video game magazine ever.

There were a few reasons. It was really well written. It was often very funny. It did unique features ("Street Fighter vs. X-Men, what would REALLY happen" – "Zangief is just pissing in the wind [against Juggernaut]").

But what was really cool, were their constant subversions of what you would expect from an official product. They constantly alluded to importing, to modifying the Saturn to play 60hz, and made much reference to titles that would never make it to the west. As the situation became increasingly bleak for the Saturn userbase, Sega Saturn Magazine did all it could to keep spirits up, from giving the readers everything they knew about the rumoured Dreamcast, and as mentioned earlier, the best two demo-discs in the world. It felt that, while Sega wasn't on our side, Sega Saturn Magazine was. Never had an official magazine had to do so much for its fans, with so little.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… Sonic special stages

Sonic 3D Blast. A spin-off that some liked and some disliked. Its 16-bit release did done some interesting isometric tricks with the Mega Drive/Genesis hardware, but wasn't particularly notable.

Sega were desperate for a cheap Sonic game on the Saturn. They commissioned Traveller's Tales to port Sonic 3D to the console, with improvements to its visuals and music. But then, Sega had an idea.

The Special Stages. On 16-bit, these special stages were an unmemorable run-across-a-bridge minigame. For 32-bit, Sega tasked Sonic Team to make a brand-new Special Stage that pushed the Saturn.

kinPUJA.gif

What we got was spectacular. It is a reimagining of the Sonic 2 approach, massively expanded in ambition. There are tunnels through buildings, secondary routes through the skies, rises and declines, asteroids and clouds. It is fast, it looks amazing, it has the greatest special stage music that ever was, and is unbelievably fun to play.

No future re-release of Sonic 3D contained these amazing Special Stages – and either reverted to the 16-bit bridge model or a strange PC-release hybrid stage. All Sonic Special Stages, before and since, paled in comparison to the one type exclusively available on the Sega Saturn.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… Being uncrackable

The Sega Saturn took twenty years to crack. For a console this is remarkable.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… unique, un-re-released software

zkDwqJ3.gif

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Shining the Holy Ark - Shining Wisdom - Shining Force III - The Legend of Thor/Oasis - Fighters Megamix - Sonic into Dreams - Sonic Jam - Dark Savior - Keio Flying Squadron II - Saturn Bomberman - Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Albert Odyssey : Legend of Eldean - Astal - Magic Knight Rayearth - Deep Fear - Shinobi X/Legions - Burning Rangers - Grandia: Digital Museum - Lunacy/Torico - Iron Storm - Clockwork Knight 1/2 - Last Gladiators Pinball - Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari – Mystaria

These range from transcendent classics of their genres to unique curiosities. Each and every one of them has never been re-released on modern formats, or made available through virtual-console services. They are trapped in the past, a fate totally unbefitting such a unique and often astonishing library of games. And that takes us to…

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… Being completely mismanaged.

The poor Sega Saturn. It was never going to set the world on fire, with the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 each bringing astonishing new experiences. But it had its own strengths, as a 2D powerhouse and as a 3D machine full of surprises. It had a great library of exclusives. It had built in memory for saves, an expandable 4MB cartridge slot, the option for ten-player local multiplayer, and some absolutely fantastic control pads.

Every decision Sega could have made, they made wrong. No console was better at being so catastrophically mismanaged as the poor, wonderful Sega Saturn.

Acknowledgement: Off-screen Death Tank footage from this YouTube channel

#respect Brilliant post, the best console ever made

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The Saturn was the best console ever period.

It's a close second to the Amiga as the best system ever

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Street Fighter Zero 3 on Saturn is closer to CPS2 than any other version (apart from CPS2 of course,, yet has all the extra characters (forget that emulated 480i PS2 POS).

The PSP version has even more characters and has no frames of animation cut. There's also the obvious SF 30th, which is 100% the CPS2 version.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Cash money. That's how you do any of this. People will sell if you've got the dough. You just need to find the weirdo with an extra copy or someone getting out of the game because they need the money/space/to keep a spouse happy.
I might be getting out of the game :(
Seeing the Astal gif reminded me of this. I haven't played the game in about 20 years, but I still remember this track.

Dude, the soundtrack to Astal is magical. I won an auction for it in 2005. I was shocked to see that it didn't have a proper label, until I found out they were all that way ha. Definitely one of my favorite games on the system.

This is what pisses me off about video game availability in todays market. Sega would never ever consider re-releasing this game because the "market" isn't there and sadly they may be right.
It's a game that needs a re-release. I feel like with how well indie games are doing and some of which I feel like were inspired by Astal, even if partially so, seem to be doing really well.

I wanna see pics of peoples collections! I'll post mine tomorrow. I have half of my Saturn games in the closet.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
What a FANTASTIC thread!!! This actually makes me want to buy a Saturn. I've always wanted to play those multiplayer games.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you everything but demo discs and official magazine, PS1 wins those.

I remember my friend getting a Saturn with Virtua Cop and Sega Rally, we had some great times playing those.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who did not grow up with this and barely even considered it's existence, you've really impressed me with how much dope shit this console has. Bravo

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
one of my closest friends had this one, with a big ass television that in 90s was really not common

we spent months on In The Hunt

In_the_Hunt_%2528Arcade%2529_06.gif

giphy.gif

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The PSP version has even more characters and has no frames of animation cut. There's also the obvious SF 30th, which is 100% the CPS2 version.
I know that. The point was the Saturn is the best balancing point between extra characters and accuracy.

Saturn is closer to CPS2 than any other version, but has the extra console characters of PS1/DC, and is on a console that has native 240p RGB output.

PSP version has more characters added (kinda crossover/joke ones really, mostly from the GBA version, since the entire SSF2T cast was back by the PS1 version) but is stuck on a crappy dpad handheld with no 240p (ironically the PSP can do 240p and does for emulated PS1 games...). And the collection is an emulated CPS2 version with only the minimal cast, and stuck on HD consoles with no 240p output.

I own an actual CPS2 and would rather play the Saturn version.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna see pics of peoples collections! I'll post mine tomorrow. I have half of my Saturn games in the closet.
You don't have to ask me twice! My PAL and JP collection. The games with the stickers on them are clearance games from my old job, I got them for pretty much nothing so that explains the less than great quality of some (I would never have gotten Sega Soccer or something like Theme Park otherwise). Other than those outliers, I think I've got most bases covered. There's always games that remain elusive and I'm still actively collecting for it, but for the most part I'm pretty happy with it.

Btw, I forgot to post Nights, but I have that as well (the set with the 3d Pad) and I have a bunch of loose discs somewhere too like Doom, Virtua Cop 1 and Christmas Nights.

WkJcJND.jpg

AMd0hdu.jpg

5lG7UJh.jpg

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I know that. The point was the Saturn is the best balancing point between extra characters and accuracy.

Saturn is closer to CPS2 than any other version, but has the extra console characters of PS1/DC, and is on a console that has native 240p RGB output.

PSP version has more characters added (kinda crossover/joke ones really, mostly from the GBA version, since the entire SSF2T cast was back by the PS1 version) but is stuck on a crappy dpad handheld with no 240p (ironically the PSP can do 240p and does for emulated PS1 games...). And the collection is an emulated CPS2 version with only the minimal cast, and stuck on HD consoles with no 240p output.

I own an actual CPS2 and would rather play the Saturn version.
I usually play SFA3 Max on the Vita TV, which upscales it to 1080i.
It looks good-ish on a HDTV.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017

I only started collecting this year ( I owned one when I was younger though ) so my collection is very small. However, I made sure to pick up the most expensive games first as they just seem to be continually going up in price. Here are a few pics from when I picked these up in May and June.

DeDdJ_YWsAEP-3w.jpg
DeDdKD2W4AAG28C.jpg

DeDhryeX0AAGXsx.jpg

DeDd6ayW4AA8M0a.jpg

DeDd6a5X0AEvQUV.jpg

After acquiring those I set about finding a Saturn in good condition and that came with a few other games and demos.

DfQs5LdWAAEK5Zo.jpg

DfQs5LiW0AAf58M.jpg

DfQs5LxXkAAEcVq.jpg

DfQtWjqWsAAZ-K-.jpg

DfQtWoFX4AABpQW.jpg

That reminds me, I really must go and pick up a copy of Sega Flash Vol. 2.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot about these games. Excuse the Dreamcast pickups in the pic. :)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wonderful thread!

No one ever managed to port Quake to the PlayStation. It was a killer app, but no one was able to do it.
Yes they were. Lobotomy did a port and noted that it ran faster than Saturn hitting 60fps many scenes. It wasn't released due to lack of publisher interest (Quake 2 was the new thing).

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
LOVE the Saturn Japanese game cases. I specifically picked up alot of the capcom fighters( Alpha, Darkstalkers, Xmen COTA etc) just for the cover art.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I might be getting out of the game :(

Dude, the soundtrack to Astal is magical. I won an auction for it in 2005. I was shocked to see that it didn't have a proper label, until I found out they were all that way ha. Definitely one of my favorite games on the system.

This is what pisses me off about video game availability in todays market. Sega would never ever consider re-releasing this game because the "market" isn't there and sadly they may be right.
It's a game that needs a re-release. I feel like with how well indie games are doing and some of which I feel like were inspired by Astal, even if partially so, seem to be doing really well.

I wish I still had my saturn collection. It wasn't huge, but it was decent. Sadly I let my brother take my system to college and somehow he lost it and all my games.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This bundle couldn't have been too close to the end as I believe that was the bundle I got as well and they were still releasing games stateside for another year.

I mean... I'd consider only 1 year of support to be close to the end. If it's not getting any more games after a year it's pretty much done.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The only console I'd fork the money for a mini version... with the right games, easily €150/€200 without batting an eye

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not the best console. But it did have the best baseball game on home consoles at one point with World Series 98. Super underrated game that had features that most baseball games didn't have at the time, like signature baseball stances, and rain delays.

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018
It's honestly pretty nuts how much Saturn collecting spiked in the last 5-6 years. I got a complete US copy of Megaman X4 for $40 back in 2012. Goes for $120+ today.

This. I copped a copy of the PAL version of Megaman X3 on the Saturn back in 04 and it was rare then for about 80 bucks. Now you'd have to pay over $500+ for the game

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Great OP!!

Sega Saturn is so fun to collect games for. Although I remember pouring so many hours in Dragon Force only for my Saturn to crash all of sudden and lost all my saves T_T

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I loved the official art for the Capcom Vs games.I'm pretty sure one of the Official Sega Saturn magazines (UK) had a full page spread of this piece in one of their issues.

I was just googling this and it looks like there's two covers for the Japanese version( one being the image you posted)? This is the one I have:

USED-%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8BSega-Saturn-Marvel-Super-Heroes-VS-Street.jpg

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
Just two months ago I hosted a 6 player Death Tank session (we prefer the original to Zwei).

It really is a multiplayer experience like no other

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The best thing about the Saturn was the VDP2, when developer's used that and its mighty soundchip, was when the Saturn could really shine against the PS

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about the Saturn was the VDP2, when developer's used that and its mighty soundchip, was when the Saturn could really shine against the PS

I love Last Bronx. I still have my copy ;-)

I did always wondered why LB looked so good? Some of the background textures seemed from Nintendo 64.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I hated 3D Blast and so I don't remember the special stages. Never realized it was clearly the beginning of what became Sonic R. I mean...look at it!