• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
So here's the idea: let's pretend that you work for Sega and you will choose the 19 games for Dreamcast that in your opinion should be in a Dreamcast Mini and 2 more games as a bonus content (see below the bolded text where I explain what it is). Then in 2 weeks I will compile the lists and make a list of the most recurrent games and talk about these games.

Since online was a vital part of Dreamcast hardware it would have online options. Don't worry about lightguns, maracas or fishing rods: choose the games that you want/a realistic list or think that would make it and sell well. But in this slots the games should be in english or playable without the language barrier (for example: "KOF 2002", "Super Gem Fighter 2 Online" or "Border Down" are allowed but "Shiren the Wanderer Gaiden" is a RPG that is Japan only so it's a different thing because it needs a translation to be played).

Then there are 2 slots of Bonus Content that I will call "Dream Content" where you can choose whatever you want for Dreamcast that weren't released in the West or everywhere but something that is possible. For example:
Do you want that unreleased game #01? Yes, you can list it but only if the game was in development before being cancelled (I will check if the development of the game really started).
A Atomiswave or Naomi game port that didn't had a Dreamcast version? Sure, because it's possible since these Arcades are based on Dreamcast hardware.
A port of Final Fantasy 7? No way, because Square never worked in that game for Dreamcast.
A translation of that japanese game that you always wanted to play? Hmm... since Sega now has Atlus USA to work in translations, why not?
Don't want to use any Dream Content because it's a stupid name? So use the extra 2 slots for another 2 games

So, here's the options of lists:

*19 games + 2 dream content or
* 20 games + 1 dream content or
* 21 games and no dream content or
* Less than 19 games

By the way: the atomiswave games are listed here:
https://segaretro.org/Atomiswave

And the Naomi games here:
https://segaretro.org/Sega_NAOMI#List_of_games

I won't list the cancelled games.

So using the previous example, Shiren the Wanderer Gaiden could be listed as a Dream Content (but please use the official/japanese name if possible - in this case I just used this name as an example and this isn't the official name of it).

If there are 3 DC (Dream Content) in your list I will count the first 2 and ignore the third one. The same for the lists with more than 21 games.
Next Saturday I will ask for corrections that must be made (and of course, no one must correct anything if don't want to) and will close the votes in August 14th at 0:01. The results will be post some days after that.

By the way, the previous thread with the Saturn most voted games is here. And below, is the timer. So let's begin!!!

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:00 PM

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 1 + 2
Soul Calibur
Soul Reaver
Chu Chu Rocket

Dream Content Cancelled Soul Reaver 2, an alternate Shenmue 3 made with the old engine

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom vs SNK 2
Power Stone
Rival Schools
Sonic Adventure

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Toy commander...

Tokyo extreme racer.
Chu chu rocket.
Sonic A.

(Will add more most likely.)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Bangai-O
Soul Calibur
Soul Reaver
Evolution
Evolution 2
Power Stone 2
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Fighting Vipers 2
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
Grandia 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Virtua Tennis
Mars Matrix
Border Down
Blue Stinger

Bonus:
El Dorado Gate
Segagaga

taking out Skies of Arcadia as the GC release is superior (except for music :/)

Last edited:

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
- Cannon Spike
- Capcom Vs. SNK 2
- ChuChu Rocket!
- Crazy Taxi
- Crazy Taxi 2

- Jet Set Radio
- Metropolis Street Racer
- Resident Evil: Code Veronica
- Rez
- Samba De Amigo

- Seaman
- Sega Bass Fishing
- Sonic Adventure
- Sonic Adventure 2
- Space Channel 5: Part 2

- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
- Toy Commander
- Typing of the Dead
- Virtua Fighter 3

The two bonus games being translations for Sakura Wars 3 and 4.

Last edited:

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Jet Set Radio
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Rez
Cosmic Smash
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
Soul Calibur
Rival Schools 2
Tech Romancer
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Power Stone 2
Zombie Revenge
Blue Stinger
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Crazy Taxi
Bangaio

Bonus:
Half-life
Panzer Dragoon Orta or GUNVALKYRIE version before Xbox development shift

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
Copied a list from sir crocodile barring a few changes.

Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Skies of Arcadia
Soul Calibur
F355
Project justice
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Star gladiator 2
Sega rally 2
Grandia 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Virtua Tennis
Mars Matrix
Jet set radio
Ready 2 rumble boxing
Vf3tb

Bonus:
Pop n music (with the controller)
Seaman

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Samba de Amigo, and re-release the maracas with a USB interface you cowards

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Toy Commander
Soul Calibur
Rez
Space Channel 5
Jet Set Radio
Chu chu rocket
phantasy Star Online
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Rival Schools 2
Mars Matrix
Bangai-O
Power Stone 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Skies Of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Virtua Tennis
Cosmic Smash

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
  1. ChuChu Rocket!
  2. Crazy Taxi
  3. Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue
  4. Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
  5. Grandia II
  6. Jet Set Radio
  7. Power Stone 2
  8. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
  9. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
  10. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica
  11. Sega Rally Championship 2
  12. Shenmue
  13. Shenmue II
  14. Skies of Arcadia
  15. Sonic Adventure
  16. Sonic Adventure 2
  17. Soulcalibur
  18. Space Channel 5
  19. Toy Commander
  20. Worms Armageddon
There's more, of course, the Dreamcast was ace, but between potential licensing issues (Daytona USA, Metropolis Street Racer) and external peripherals (Samba de Amigo, House/Typing of the Dead, Seaman), this seems like a well balanced list. Maybe a bit platform heavy, and of course these are all games already translated into English so we're missing out on some classics, but I think this genuinely seems like both a high quality and realistic list.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sega Rally 2
Sonic Adventure 1
Power Stone
Virtua Tennis
Jet Set Radio
Soul Calibur
Samba de Amigo
Space Channel 5
Sega GT or Metropolis Street Racer

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
1. Shenmue
2. Shenmue 2
3. Crazy Taxi
4. Jet Set Radio
5. Phantasy Star Online
6. Sonic Adventure
7. Sonic Adventure 2
8. Skies of Arcadia
9. Ecco the Dolphin
10. Daytona USA
11. Virtua Fighter 3
12. Soul Calibur
13. Space Channel 5
14. Space Channel 5 Part 2
15. Chu Chu Rocket
16. Project Justice
17. Capcom vs SNK 2
18. Ikaruga
19. House of the Dead 2
20. Power Stone 2
Bonus: Segagaga

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Could've easily made a list of 100+ but here goes...

Border Down
Under Defeat
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Bangai-O
Soul Calibur
Soul Reaver
Crazy Taxi
Capcom vs SNK 2
Power Stone
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Jet Set Radio
Grandia 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (beta version = Arcade ver A)
Virtua Tennis
Sonic Adventure
Skies of Arcadia

Bonus:
Propeller Arena (Unreleased)
Fist of the North Star (Atomiswave)

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
Hmm this is a tough one as the Dreamcast had so many amazing games.

1. Sonic Adventure
2. Sonic Adventure 2
3. Toy Commander
4. Daytona Usa
5. Headhunter
6. Soul Calibur
7. Chu chu rocket
8. Skies of Arcadia
9. Power Stone 2
10. Jet set radio
11. Shenmue
12. Shenmue 2
13. Phantasy Star online v2
14. Crazy Taxi
15. Space Channel 5
16. Super Magnetic Neo
17. Rez
18. Ecco
19. Space Channel 5
20. Tony Hawks pro skater 2
21. Virtua tennis 2

This is difficult cos NFL 2k2 should probably be there for the American fans, Le Mans 24 is an awesome racing game, samba de ameigo, house of the dead and Resident evil should all be there. That's forgetting stuff like quake 3, canon spike, f355, seaman, rayman, project justice. Stuff like Tokyo bus guide, EGG, and a million other Japanese exclusives. That's ignoring anything Naomi or think about it cosmic smash, Ikaruga and even lower quality stuff like ready to rumble, incoming and a whole bunch more.

But the list I have covers all the heavy hitters, a wide range of genres but the games I think are what made the Dreamcast the Dreamcast. What a console.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Picking from a mix of games that are first and third party, cover most of the Dreamcast's key genres and franchises, and have either no licensing problems, or probably solvable licensing problems.

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Jet Set Radio
Skies of Arcadia
SoulCalibur
Crazy Taxi
Ikaruga
Rez
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Cosmic Smash
Hydro Thunder
Phantasy Star Online
Worms World Party (or Worms Armageddon is fine too)
Rayman 2
Sega Rally 2
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Capcom vs SNK 2

Bonus games:
Monkey Ball
Segagaga localisation

Jet Set Radio has music licensing issues but these were largely solved for the HD re-release so could potentially be solved here again (with some tracks cut). Crazy Taxi has a bunch of licenses but the game has been re-released enough times to suggest those are solvable. Sega Rally 2 has some licensed cars, and historically they're a big problem, but the number of vehicles in Sega Rally 2 is small enough to make it doable. Capcom vs SNK 2 would require Capcom and SNK to get over whatever is stopping those games from being re-released (and they both re-release a ton of stuff, so clearly there is something that's a problem), so it might be unrealistic. If so it can be swapped out for another Capcom fighter.

Sega Rally 2 and the Worms games both are among the small number of Dreamcast games that use Windows CE, which has caused emulation difficulties in the past. I'm not sure where emulators are on that now so that could be a problem.

If licensing turned out not to be a problem then I'd have Virtua Tennis and MSR as well (Virtua Tennis perhaps with players transformed into generic models with generic names, but MSR is unlikely to be possible under any realistic circumstances).

I'd have Bangai-O in there somewhere as well, if the Dreamcast mini came with something other than a standard Dreamcast controller.

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Capcom vs SNK 2 would require Capcom and SNK to get over whatever is stopping those games from being re-released (and they both re-release a ton of stuff, so clearly there is something that's a problem), so it might be unrealistic. If so it can be swapped out for another Capcom fighter.

About Capcom vs SNK 2, I think thats doable. It looks like the relationship between Capcom and SNK isn't as bad as it was in the past. So I don't think that's impossible if Sega puts enough effort for it (but maybe SNK would demand one of their titles in the mini):

The recent re-release SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium for the Nintendo Switch as part of the NeoGeo Pocket Color Selection certainly turned heads, and SNK is apparently down to do more crossover work in the future now.

Adam Laatz, Producer of the NGPC and other SNK collection titles, gave multiple interviews where he spoke about his experience working with Capcom on the release and what he hopes it could mean moving forward.

"Capcom was integral in allowing us to re-release SvC: The Match of the Millennium on Nintendo Switch," said Laatz when speaking to Nitnendo Life. "While it can be a challenge licensing games and working with third parties at times, we're very grateful that our good friends over at Capcom helped us make porting this title a reality. Much as the spirit of these collaborative titles had back in the day in bringing both companies and players together in a sense, we hope that re-releasing this SvC title after so many years will serve as an opportunity for more releases to come in the future!"

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
  1. ChuChu Rocket!
  2. Crazy Taxi
  3. Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue
  4. Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
  5. Grandia II
  6. Jet Set Radio
  7. Power Stone 2
  8. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
  9. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
  10. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica
  11. Sega Rally Championship 2
  12. Shenmue
  13. Shenmue II
  14. Skies of Arcadia
  15. Sonic Adventure
  16. Sonic Adventure 2
  17. Soulcalibur
  18. Space Channel 5
  19. Toy Commander
  20. Worms Armageddon
There's more, of course, the Dreamcast was ace, but between potential licensing issues (Daytona USA, Metropolis Street Racer) and external peripherals (Samba de Amigo, House/Typing of the Dead, Seaman), this seems like a well balanced list. Maybe a bit platform heavy, and of course these are all games already translated into English so we're missing out on some classics, but I think this genuinely seems like both a high quality and realistic list.
You can post one more if you want to. The list can have 21 games.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
1: Shenmue
2: Sonic Adventure
3: Sonic Adventure 2
4: Soul Calibur
5: Crazy Taxi
6: Marvel vs Capcom 2
7: Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
8: Skies of Arcadia
9: Grandia 2
10: Cannon Spike
11: Mars Matrix
12: Bangai-O
13: Tennis 2k2
14: Jet Grind Radio
15: Power Stone
16: Super Magnetic Neo
17: Chu Chu Rocket
18: Space Channel 5
19: I've never played it but I feel a racer needs to be on this list so I'll just throw in the hat for Metropolis Street Racer
Dream Content 1: El-Dorado Gate (all 7 releases)
Dream Content 2: Rhapsody of Zephyr

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Border Down
Cannon Spike
Cosmic Smash
Crazy Taxi
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Jet Grind Radio
Metropolis Street Racer
Phantasy Star Online
Rayman 2
Rez
Samba De Amigo
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Dreamcontent:
Agartha
SGGG

Tough calls, and I might still change stuff. I debated leaving off 2d fighters as I hate the DC pad for them, but in this hypothetical situation, I figure the machine would be compatible with other controllers anyway.

I would say bring on the SMS Mini lists next but that should probably be 50+ games like the Gen/MD Mini and so few people here care about 8-bit Sega.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SA1
Shenmue 1
Shenmue 2
VOOT
Soul Calibur
DoA2
Grandia 2
Tech Romancer
Crazy Taxi
Sega GT
PSO
MvC2
0079 Rise from the Ashes
Skies of Arcadia
Web Browser
Power Stone
Jet Set Radio
Rez
Chuchu Rocket
Ikaruga

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
I would say bring on the SMS Mini lists next but that should probably be 50+ games like the Gen/MD Mini and so few people here care about 8-bit Sega.
Yes, I agree. I love the Master System library but since it was almost inexistent in USA, I think that a thread about it would be almost dead here. And even listing 50 games would be a little exhaustive and after a certain number of games, probably some people would just spam random games to complete it (even if is not mandatory).
That's why I was thinking in doing one more of this lists thing about Game Boy/Color (I don't think that a N64 thread would be too exciting because 90% of lists would be Nintendo + Rare games) but I changed my mind.
But... about the Master System lists it would work if it the thread is more like a appreciation thread. I have some ideas, but I will talk about it after the final list of this thread is done. Then I will ask for a feedback.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
It looks like there's nothing to ask to correct.
Anyway, since there was some games tied in the last postion, it'll take some more time to find the reviews of these games but I will try my best to post the Top 20 in this Friday/Saturday.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. I expected there to be a link to the next thread when it was posted in the Saturn thread. Almost missed this until I bothered to just do a search to see if it ever happened.

1. Phantasy Star Online version 2
  2. Skies of Arcadia
  3. Cosmic Smash
  4. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  5. Grandia II
  6. SEGA Marine Fishing
  7. Soul Calibur
  8. Typing of the Dead
  9. Rez
  10. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  11. Jet Set Radio
  12. Illbleed
  13. Project Justice
  14. Seaman
  15. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  16. Sonic Adventure
  17. Sonic Adventure 2
  18. Shenmue
  19. Shenmue 2
  20. Fish Life (Bonus)
  21. SEGAGAGA (Bonus)
21 sure is limiting, isn't it? Dreamcast has so many more iconic games to it, like DOA2, or prohibitively expensive games like Cannon Spike. Sure doesn't leave room for stuff like Blue Stinger, which may be considered a memorable launch title but... it's so bad. So, so bad. Illbleed is at least way more interesting and creative by comparison and deserves to be experienced by more people. Also really wanted to get Headhunter in there too... and Power Stone... and Soul Reaver... and Space Channel 5... Damn, the Dreamcast is so cool.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Since many games were ported to other systems, DC isn't that high to me but:
- Daytona usa 2001
- seaman
- sonic adventure 1/2
- crazy taxy
- D2
- Illbleed
- Blue Stinger
- Half life blue shift
- Maken x
- AeroWings
- Alone in the Dark
- Armada
- Bangai-o
- Skies of Arcadia
- Metropolis Street racer
- Phantasy Star Online
- Nightmare Creatures 2
- The Ring: terror's realm
- Sega rally 2.

Runner up positions:
Zombie revenge, sega GT, headhunter, segagaga.

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
1. Sonic Adventure
2. Jet Grind Radio
3. Rez
4. Space Channel 5
5. Crazy Taxi
6. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
7. Skies of Arcadia
8. Shenmue
9. Power Stone 2
10. Virtua Tennis
11. Toy Commander
12. RE Code: Veronica
13. Chu Chu Rocket
14. Project Justice
15. Soul Calibur
16. Dead or Alive 2
17. Rayman 2
18. Tony Hawk 2
19. Grandia 2

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
21 sure is limiting, isn't it?
Yep. It's kind of interesting how that kind of limit works for different systems. Like on SNES, despite it having so many games, there's almost no problems selecting a list of the 20 to put on a mini console (except maybe for RPG fans). With the PSOne, any list of ~20 games just annoys people because people had such diverse PlayStation libraries and even the most popular games were only owned by a relatively small fraction of the ownership. With the Dreamcast, there's a core set of maybe 10 games that most people would probably agree should be on a Dreamcast mini, but then after that there's dozens of games that could reasonably be in the other half.

Since many games were ported to other systems
It's definitely true that a lot of the Dreamcast library ended up getting ported, but I think the passage of time has made a hypothetical Dreamcast mini a good option even for those games. A lot of the games that got ported from Dreamcast are now stuck on a later console, often without backwards compatibility, and a bunch of them have also been delisted from digital storefronts (or were never available on them to begin with). We have a bit of a weird situation now where for owners of current consoles, the most easily available Dreamcast games are Rez and Ikaruga and Shenmue.

May 21, 2021
Blue Stinger (Japanese Version)
Cannon Spike
Cosmic Smash
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Dead Or Alive 2
Ecco The Dolphin: Defender Of The Future
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Grandia II
Headhunter
Illbleed
Jet Set Radio
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes
Power Stone 2
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Skies Of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
SoulCalibur

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Sonic Adventure
Chu Chu Rocket
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
Soul Calibur
Jet Grind Radio
NFL Blitz 2001
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Power Stone
Cannon Spike
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Rival Schools

Mine is just gonna be a Capcom machine lol

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So, here's the options of lists:

*19 games + 2 dream content or
* 20 games + 1 dream content or
* 21 games and no dream content or
* Less than 19 games

Sonic Adventure
SoulCalibur
Power Stone 2
The King of Fighters: Dream Match '98
Resident Evil: Cove Veronica
Toy Commander
Chu Chu Rockets
Fighting Vipers 2
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Sega Rally 2
Jet Set Radio
Rez
Crazy Taxi
MSR
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Project Justice
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Virtua Tennis 2

Dream Title: Road to El-Dorado localized outside of Japan.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Any mini without these games isn't a real Dreamcast mini.

Sonic Adventure
Jet Set Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Soul Calibur
Crazy Taxi
Powerstone
Canon Spike
Shenmue
Seaman
Code Veronica
Rival Schools

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Street Fighter II X
Shenmue 1
Skies of Arcadia
Capcom vs SNK 2
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
Gunlord
uh... I guess Third Stike, too.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be (realistic, not "dream" list):

Power Stone
Chu Chu Rocket
Sonic Adventure
Soulcalibur
Crazy Taxi
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel 5
Bangai-O
Mr. Driller
San Francisco Rush 2049

You're not going to see any racers with licensed cars, sports games, wrestling games and I doubt any RPGs. Can imagine them not giving Powerstone 1 and 2 or Sonic 1 and 2 and I'm not sure

Ideal list would be as above but also:

Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
MSR
Sega Rally
Sega GT

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
  1. Shenmue
  2. Shenmue 2
  3. Jet Set Radio
  4. Sonic Adventure
  5. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
  6. SoulCalibur
  7. Power Stone
  8. Sega Rally Championship 2
  9. Headhunter
  10. Skies of Arcadia
  11. Grandia 2
  12. Virtua Tennis 2
  13. Project Justice
  14. Dead or Alive 2
  15. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  16. ChuChu Rocket!
  17. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  18. Metropolis Street Racer
  19. Space Channel 5
  20. Crazy Taxi
  21. Bonus game: an official translation of the Dreamcast exclusive that all Sega fans want to play... SEGAGAGA!
I really do hope one day that Sega does release a Dreamcast Mini. It wouldn't take much for it to be a worthwhile purchase.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
hmm..
  1. Sonic Adventure
  2. Jet set Radio
  3. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
  4. Crazy Taxi
  5. Shenmue 1+2
  6. Headhunter
  7. Sword of Berserk
  8. Fur Fighters
  9. Carrier
  10. D2
  11. Elemental Gimmick Gear
  12. Grandia 2
  13. Rez
  14. Bangai-o
  15. Soul Calibur
  16. Dead or Alive 2
  17. Power Stone
  18. Fire Pro Wrestling
  19. Ecco the mother effin dolphin
  20. Soul Reaver 2 (bonus)
Stuff that was originally in my list but had to cut:

• Test Drive Le Mans
  • Toy Commander
  • Aero Dancing
  • Rent a Hero no. 1
  • Super Runabout
  • Alien Front Online
  • Blue Stinger
  • Illbleed
  • Floigan Brothers
  • Gunbird 2
  • Napple Tale
  • Re-Volt
  • CHU CHU ROCKET
  • Space Channel 5
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Rayman 2
  • Soul Reaver
  • Gunbird 2
  • Virtua Tennis 2
  • Project Justice
  • Marvel vs Capcom
  • Street Fighter 3 Third Strike

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So many good lists. I'm on mobile so I'll just give a shout out to:

Phantasy Star Online v2

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Super Magnetic Neo
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Soul Reaver
Rayman 2
Monkey Ball Naomi
Chu Chu Rocket
Ikaruga
Rez

TOP 21
OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Now it's time to see the results. I won't change the topic's title now because there will be another small upgrade later about the bonus content (dream content). Then I will talk later what's next. But meanwhile here's the TOP 21 (with 22 games) with some reviews and impressions at the time these games were released:

22. Bangai-O (1999)
Shoot 'em up, Treasure, 1 Player 8 VOTES

Gamers' Republic: A
Grossly under-appreciated, their games sadly absent from the top ten charts, Treasure can nonetheless always be counted upon to deliver fresh and exciting gameplay with every new release. Their first 128-bit effort is not the kind of the game that's going to earn them mainstream success, but Bangaio on Dreamcast is utterly superb, a delicious, free-flying morsel of a shooter that just begs to be played again and again.
The kick of this game lies in the supremely addictive, massive destruction that takes place.The radial burst of fire that blooms from your little mech when you unleash a super causes more carnage than any shooter in recent memory.
In a perfect world, Treasure's first 128-bit game would have been an original one, but this enhancement of the N64 title is so good, I could really care less. Sharper graphics, new levels and bosses, less slow-down, and even more hyper-chaotic action push Bangaio into the shooter stratosphere. And unlike most shooters, this one is nice and long, with dozens of levels.
Those lucky enough to have gotten their hands on one of the only 10,000 copies made for N64 already know the joys of this game, and hopefully many more will get to experience it on Dreamcast. If the conceptual goal of a shooter is spectacular destruction, then Bagaio is Treasure's doctoral thesis. A must-play!

21. Sega Rally 2 (1999)
Racing, Sega, 2 Players 8 VOTES

EGM
You'll no doubt read elsewhere that Rally suffers because it doesn't hold a constant 30 fps, and that is terribly disappointing. You know what though? Who cares? It looks as good, if not better than the arcade game- and has more cars and tracks too. Most importantly the 'feel' of the game is exactly right, and the sense of competition it inspires is topnotch. You actually feel like you are chasingafter the other drivers, and as you work your way through the 10.year championship mode, you find yourself on the edge of your seat desperately trying to get into first place. It's a shame that the multiplayer experience only offers you a two-player game...
9.0 The import version of Sega Rally is still one of my favorite console racers of all time. Aside from a finicky drop in frame-rate from 60-30, the game is beautiful in just about every other respect. I don't quite understand the reason behind the changes in the U.S. version (with the frame rate codes), but the new cars are a blast to use.
9.0 Once you get the hang of it you'll truly appreciate this racer. Car selection is bountiful and full of adjustment options.This is the kind of racing game that'll draw you in for hours at a time. Without a doubt this is the best racing sim for DC.
9.0 It looks a bit more polished than the Japanese version - and wow, is it one damn fine-looking game. Sure, there's no online play, but the game holds up fine without it. If you have a DC and don't have this game, you're missing out.

20. Toy Commander (1999)
Action, No Cliché, 4 Players 8 VOTES

EGM:
Of all of the "toys games" I've seen in the last year or so, I have to say that Toy Commander is my absolute favorite. The combination of different vehicles, mixed with some wonderfully rendered environments and frankly 'charming' gameplay ideas is something that you have to check it out. The concept of a kid playing 'war' with his toys has, to my mind, never been more convincingly portrayed in an action game.Just look at some of the missions... Find a deodorant can and move it to a point in the room where it can get rid of the toxic stench from a pair of sneakers. It's all dramatic, it looks wonderful and is carried off with deep understanding of what kids do to make pretend environments. If only the multiplayer experience matched the one-player game. It seems to be "tacked on" as an afterthought. That aside, I loved it.
7.5 I think we have the Dreamcast first sleeper hit. You get a huge assortments of vehicles to command, but control never gets complicated. Missions are challenging but rarely frustrating . Best of all, the massive fog-free environments really give you the feeling of driving a tiny toy in a big world.
8.0 It's all about great game design: the realistic, yet cartoony environments, the attention to details (like poop in the cat's litter box) and well thought missions. Toy Commander will make you feel like you're starring a Disney CG animated feature... way more than the Bug's life or Army Men games ever did.
9.0 You can tell the development team had a good time making this game. TC has tons of stuff to do in each of the funny and entertaining missions and a variety of vehicles to choose from in each. Plus the graphics and sound are incredible. There have been a lot of toys-in-the-real-world games as of late, but this is the best of the bunch.

19. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (2000)
Fighting, Capcom, 2 Players 9 VOTES

EGM
Aside from boasting an additional six very worthwhile stock fighters, the souped-up sound and graphical superiority helps make Third Strike a more solid gaming experience. Other additions include a new parring style, and a revised combo system. If you've played it in the arcade you can expect a perfect port, outside of the slightly smaller characters. SF2 players looking to get into the new series can expect a relatively high entry barrier - Third Strike has a very serious feel to it, and learning how to parry effectively can take a while. If you don't have [Street Fighter III] Double Impact (*a collection with the two first versions of Street Fighter III*), get Third Strike first and pick up DI for a new perspective if you like the SF3 style.
7.0 Third Strike is much more than just a series of small upgrades like the ones that differentiated Second Impact from the original game. For one it's got Chun-Li and she's got more animation than I"ve ever seen in any 2D game. To see her in motion is simply stunning.
8.5 There's a deep fighting-system customization feature, which is cool. Backgrounds and characters aren't as vibrant or animated as those in Second Impact, but the soundtrack rocks (or "hip-hops" rather) beyond belief.

18. Power Stone 2 (2000)
Action/ Fighting, Capcom, 4 Players 9 VOTES

EGM
The original Power Stone was essentially an amalgamation of two genres - fighting and platform.
Picture this: You're in the middle of a battle and all of sudden, out of nowhere, a gigantic Indiane Jones-style boulder comes crashing into the room. The screen switches to a 2D side scrolling perspective and you and your opponents must keep running to stay ahead of the rolling boulder. The new objective is now to trip up yor opponents so the giant rock will crush them.
Whereas the first game was more just a race to collect all the Powers Stones, the sequel forces you to also master your environment to become a true champion. Power Stone allows up to four people to go in two-on-two matches. It looks like the Dreamcast has yet another title on the way to solidify its reputation as the system of choice for fighting fans.
9.0 Capcom doubles down the pleasure with additional characters, four-player mayhem, and 3D environments that easily eclipse those seen in the fist game. If you missed the first Power Stone, there's no reason to skip the sequel.
8.5 The stages, while relatively few in number, are highly imaginative and interactive, changing even as you play.The fighting system is still pretty simple, but sometimes simple is good.
8.5 The biggest advancement in Power Stone's sequel is the insane levels you fight on. A building you are in may catch fire, forcing you to climb to safety. All while the fighting action never lets up. Fans of the first game will absolutely love this one. Those who disliked the first should try this one.

17. Space Channel 5 (1999)
Dance, United Game Artists, 1 Player 10 VOTES

IGN 9.2
Tetsuya Mizuguchi, the producer behind Space Channel 5, commented at this year's Game Developers Conference, "I have poured the message of love and peace and happiness in Space Channel 5. These were the emotions and desires of this game."
What the!? Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... TIME OUT!!! Space Channel 5 is a game in which you mimic button presses on your controller in synch with an on-screen beat, all in an effort to stop the invading Moroliens from forcing innocent bystanders to dance mindlessly. A cute concept, but where is this "message" you speak of, Miz-san?
And then I played the game through to completion, and I finally understood just what Mizuguchi was talking about. I identified the peace and the love he'd spoken of, noted towards the end of the game that I was inspired like rarely before, and made an attempt to count the number of times I'd smiled uncontrollably while playing. Mizuguchi's space game (he's a "space game producer," afterall) is one of the most memorable gaming experiences ever, and a title that everyone should play through from start to end.
The gameplay at its best almost convinces you that you're doing more than just following what an onscreen character is telling you to do. Don't be surprised if you actually find yourself moving to the beat in some fashion (it's a requirement for me, and I'm damn proud of it).
The game also suffers from Sega's age-old problem of giving us too short an experience. The four levels end up going by rather quickly, and while there is always the goal of improving your score and meeting up with every single character in the game, a couple of extra levels would help immensely.
I think back on all the incredible games I've played on all the various systems out there, and I can't imagine myself having smiled and laughed more than with Space Channel 5.
And that's what Mizuguchi was talking about, claiming to have built the message of love, peace, and happiness into a game in which you zap florescent teletubbies, although there's also a more literal message contained within the game's story itself. Pick up Space Channel 5 and try to overlook the gameplay problems, and you'll understand Mizuguchi's message as well.

16. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (2000)
Survival Horror, Capcom, 1 Player 10 VOTES

EGM
(...) Code Veronica is the best Resident Evil so far, a must play for every Dreamcast owner. It's true that, as far as gameplay features go, there's really nothing new here - in fact it's missing some of the cool new things RE3 had. But Veronica makes up for it just about every other way.
Resident Evil has always been less about play mechanics and more about setting a mood the player feels, and all these things help draw you into the game and achieve that effect. The story helps too. Complaints? Yeah, we have a few. Like how you get stuck right before a boss without the equipament you need to get past them (don't save in the same slot all the time or you're screwed). Or ho there's never seems to be an item box around when you need one. Or all the backtracking you have to do. Anyway, regardless, anyone who's ever enjoyed any of the previous RE games, or adventures games in general - hell, if you like video games at all you should at least give this one a try.
Besides the little love story, Code Veronica's plot is excellent. It steals from a couple of movies (Psycho and The Thing), but what do you expect from a game originanlly inspired by Night of the Living Dead?
9.5 Maybe you've tried a Resident Evil or two before and they weren't your cup of tea, or maybe they just never interested you, but this might be the one who converts you- I've seen it happen to a few people already. Not that Code:Veronica is very different from the previous games, but it takes their best parts and wraps them all up in one incredible-looking package.
9.5 This is vintage RE gameplay packaged with 3D visuals so slick you gotta wonderif PS2 games coul really look much better. Despite some lovey0dovey sappiness, the plot is pure dynamite, and the overall adventure runs longer than past RE games.For every annoying quik, you'll find dozens of scenes and plot twists that make you go, "Wow-this rules!"
10 What a difference real-time graphics make. Not being able to see around corners, watching as the camera pans to reveal a horde of undead... it creates real tension. I've neverthought the DC would've been capable of this level of graphic clarity outside of Soul Calibur. An excellent story line, ambient music, and a lot of genuine "jump out of your seat" moments make it not only the best of the series thus far.

15. Power Stone (1999)
Action/Fighting, Capcom, 2 Players 10 VOTES

EGM
Try not to put this in the same league of Street Fighter. Instead look at Power Stone as a simpler, more action-oriented arcade game. If you want something you can quickly jump into and not have to worry about memorizing combos or knowing too much moves, then give this game a go. The frantic action, speedy animation and colorful graphics, all make for a good time. The interactive backgrounds add a lot as well - it's simple, straightforward and awfully pretty.
6.5 I have mixed feelings about Power Stone. (...) it's simply not a fun game to play (...) [and] it feels imprecise.
7.5 Power Stone is actually pretty cool. The completely different nature of environments takes some getting used to but one you're "tuned in" it's a rewarding game.
8.0 It's a lot easier to pick up and get into immediately than any of the Street Fighter games, and it's fun just to see what kind of moves you can pull off interacting with each stage's environments. Another solid fighter on Dreamcast.

14. Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)
Action, Sonic Team, 2 Players 11 VOTES

EGM
Losing the boring aspects of the last game was definitely the right thing to do: Sonic Adventure 2 feels like a classic Sonic game again, where you speed through one level to the next, Though any stage that doesn't feature Sonic or Shadow really breaks the high-speed flow of the game. Still, the developers make it up for it somewhat by offering some incredibly cool, diverse bosses to fight. Unlike the first adventure game, you have to play all the different characters to advance the game. Not to worry; as with the most Sonic games, the difficult curve in SA2 is just about perfect. If you do happen to get stuck in an area or on a particularly tough boss, the cute little robo-Chaos appear and offer hints to get you through your problem. The only real problem is the god-awful camera control.
7.0 Being a longtime Sonic fan I was happy to see Sonic Team return to more fast-paced, action-oriented gameplay.(...) The bad camera is what kills you 90 percent of the time, destroying much of the enjoyment. Sonic and Shadow's levels are excellently crafted, but playing the rest of the characters (especially Knuckles and Rouge) drags it down. It's good, but the first Sonic Adventure is still better.
7.5 (...) Had it been a GD-ROM full of just Sonic (and his doppelganger Shadow) high-speed loop-de-loop challenges, SA2 would been amazing.Instead, the game gives a little too much time to Tails's leaden E-102 styled platform duties and Knuckles nonstop fetch quests, castrating Sonic 2's main strength. And despite the loveliest graphics ever seen, horrendous camera work spoils it.

13. Project Justice/ Project Justice: Rival Schools 2 (2000)
Fighting, Capcom, 2 Players 11 VOTES

EGM:
Project Justice sets a bold new benchmark for fighting games, 2D or 3D in practically every detail. Twenty-two (with unlockables) fighters come to life through deliciously creative attacks, consisting of mid-air combos, team and three member party super attacks, and subtly comedic moves. The story is basically an extension of the first game, but the fact that there even is a story told between the battles is truly awesome.
9.0 This is Campcom's best 3D fighting series. Star Gladiator 2? Not happenin'. SFEX3? Yuck. Tech Romancer? OK, you got me there, but Project Justice blows them all away due its sheer overall playability, broad selection of characters, minigames, cool-ass story line and excellent graphics. The ultra-responsive gameplay is where it's at though, and the crazy number of tag-team combinations you can pull off, plus the insane sense of humor, is what make this game special. Truly superb.
8.5 The characters are great, the fighting is fast and furious, and the humor is just right. I love the combo attacks and surprising depth of gameplay, but some might be turned off by its quirky style.

12. Rez (2001)
Rail Shooter, United Game Arts, 1 Player 12 VOTES

Note: I know that using official media for games reviews isn't exactly reliable, but I couldn't find a review for the Dreamcast version, only for PS2. So this time, I will be using the review for the Dreamcast Magazine (although, it's not the "official"):

DREAMCAST MAGAZINE (UK) - 82%
Apparently, Sega's United Games Artists wanted to create something a little different and create a whole new genre of games that marries graphics, sound and gameplayer into a perfect videogame whole. What this actually amounts to is a pretty straightforward shoot 'em up on rails with players taking on the guise of a humanoid form - replete with the ability to transcend itself via appropriation of power-ups into pure energy - the task being to infiltrate a super virtual network to awake the central AI 'Eden'.
Rather than exploding with the usual sonic 'boom' upon contact with your trusty laser weapon they actually make a sound or note. And it doesn't stop there. Thanks to the handy 'lock-on' facility, you can link 'kills' together to form, in the loosest sense, a riff or a sequence of notes, and though we have not been told that this is the case, we reckon that, coupled with the throbbing bass line that accompanies the game, you should be able to create beautiful music.
Therein lies the central problem of Rez; is it a shoot 'em-up or is it a music-maker?
Rez is an initially beguiling then bewildering game that will leave the players wanting more. If you play long enough (or even watch someone else for long enough) you'll understand what it makes it so good...
Rez is an essential purchase, so get your hands on it soon.

11. Metropolis Street Racer (2000)
Racing, Bizarre Creations, 8 Players 12 VOTES

IGN 9.1
First of all, yes, this game is piss hard. And no, it isn't "too hard," "too difficult for its own good," or "so hard it ceases to be fun," but rather is the type of game that displays an early learning curve, persistent increase in difficulty, and a continual challenge to even the most experienced driver. Heaven forbid. Metropolis Street Racer's structure is all about teaching you how to drive, and if you play your kudos right, teaching you how to thrive. It may spank you a bit, and it will irritate you on occasion, but by the same token, this game will reward those who are looking for a good race.
But some people will still complain. You can't really blame them, as they been conditioned to have their hand held through almost every gaming experience in the last 5 years. But I have to admit I am a bit disgusted by all the reports I have seen about this title labeling it as a game of supreme difficulty. Reason being is that I am about as casual a racing fan as you'll come across in my business. For the most part, I hate racing sims. And to be honest, if I can consistently remain 2-3 chapters ahead of my required race, then MSR can't be that hard.
the control is so distinct and so rewarding that each new car seems like an entirely new game. As you master the handling on the newest ride you've managed to unlock, you'll see why this game got held so long. Bizarre wanted to hit this nail square on the head, and from a control standpoint, you really get the feeling that they have. This game is a prefect marriage of an arcade racer like Ridge Racer and a tighter sim like Gran Turismo, and while it carries one of the steepest learning curves I've ever seen, that is exactly where the challenge lies.
I suppose I should also mention the multi-player, but in truth, there isn't much worth mentioning, as it is pretty forgettable, due to the reduced camera killing the visibility, the frame-rate taking an even bigger hit, and of course, the inability to honk one's horn in a taunting fashion. Metropolis does include some cool modes, and if you can handle a choppy framerate and reduced field of view, you may like it, but to be honest, I had more fun trading laps for top times with my friends than I did going head to head. I will say that the 'Net mode does give it a little life outside the typical single player experience, but not much.

Thankfully, though, what is here in the single player experience saves this game from being a lot more irritating than it could have been. When all is said and done, MSR isn't revolutionary in the areas you take for granted in a next generation console racer, but it is in all the ways you hope it to be. What it lacks in the visual and audio departments, it more than makes up for with near-flawless control and challenging AI.
his game has a great sense of progression, difficulty and refinement throughout, and while it may be too difficult for people with little patience, it is one of the most rewarding gameplay experiences in the history of the genre. If you don't mind doing a little legwork, this game will really give you a run for your money....that much you can count on. Give it a look.

10. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (2000)
Fighting, Capcom, 2 Players 12 VOTES

EGM
This game is something special. Despite the deluge of Street Fighter-related software, Capcom has released up until now, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 stands out as state-of-the-art in fighting games. Going for a four-button control setup was a great idea as it doesn't penalize Dreamcast owners because of the funky DC-pad. The graphics really benefit from the move to the Dreamcast (and Namoi) hardware. Whereas the first MvC pit you 2 vs. 2, the sequel triples the madness by making it a 3-on-3. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 also nearly triples the roster of the previous version. If you dig on 2D fighters, this is the cream of the crop. A must buy for 2D fighting fans.
9.5 The first MvC on the Dreamcast was well-done, make no mistake. But it's safe to say that the sequel blows it out of the water in just about every aspect. This game is to 2D fighters what Soul Calibur is to the 3D genre. The fact that you can "buy'' new characters and background through points during the gameplay is a welcome addition.. The biggest improvement is the four-button control scheme, which makes for a perfect match with the DC controller. Fighting fans need look no further for their 2D fix.
8.0 I must say that this is by far my favorite Capcom's versus games. So what makes it better? The new control scheme works great - especially for a more casual fighting game fan like myself - and the graphics, animations and characters are topnotch. If you like your fighting fast and furious, with big number combos and screen-filling mayhem, look no further.

9. Grandia II (2000)
RPG, Game Arts, 1 Player 14 VOTES

EGM
RPGs are interactive stories and thanks to its linear approach, Grandia II presents its tales wonderfully. And what a tale is. Thankfully Ubisoft pulled out all the stops and not only did a nifty job on the overall translation, but the superb voice acting as well. A bit too anime'ish in some areas but superb nonetheless. The graphic quality does drop a bit near the end, and most of battles are too easy, but neither of these complains really detracts from overall game. Don't miss it.
9.0 Not only do you get the same great engine from the first game, but the kick-ass graphics made possible by Dreamcast. Ubisoft took the translation and voice acting seriously to the point of hiring a few of the voice actors from MGS. My only gripe is that the music , while good doesn't compare to the soundtrack of the first game. Nonetheless, Grandia II is yet another reason for RPG players across the country to buy a Dreamcast.
9.0 (...) But my favorite part of Grandia II would have to be the battle system like the original Grandia's, it allows for plenty of strategy when you need it, or you can just plow through (even the auto-combat is useful). The way you learn your spells and skills has been slightly refined and works even better- building up your characters has never been so much fun. One of the best RPGs all year

Computer and Video Games: 4/5
Grandia 2 is a fantastic, traditional role-player with humour, surprise and feeling. A strong story is essential for a RPG success, and there are enough well-scripted twists and turns to keep you glued to the screen. One of the most outstanding features of the game is the battle. At first they seem a daunting mish-mash of random stats and power gauges, but with a little perseverance, they become a deeply rewarding aspect of the gameplay (...) and deep and involving tactics are required later in the game.
Thankfully, a helpful tutorial mode is included which eases you into the fighting system. You may prefer to focus first on your hero initially while you learn the ropes, and you can automate other members of your party with a range of AI options. But larer on you'll need to take more direct control over the whole party.
Grandia 2 isn't perfect: it's too easy to lose your bearings and spending time backtracking, the confuse compass not being much help. Nonetheless, with Grandia 2, the DC has a excellent role-player that will habe you hooked until the end - if you have the patience to learn its depths.

8. ChuChu Rocket! (1999)
Puzzle, Sonic Team, 4 Players 15 VOTES

Famitsu 9/9/8/8

EGM
I know what you're thinking. "Chu Chu what?" I know that you're looking to the screenshot and dismissing it as kid's stuff. But please, do me a favor and play this gameRent. Borrow it. Buy it with the intention of returning it. I don't care. Just get it along with three more controllers (with friends attached to them) and experience one of the coolest multiplayer party games that you'll ever see on this system. Sonic Team has created something great - Chu Chu Rocket is brilliant in its simplicity. Within a minute, any gamer (casual or hardcore) can jump right into the action and have fun. The game even supports team play, 2P co-op puzzle modes and internet competition. Even as a one-player game, Chu Chu Rocket cooks, with plenty of puzzles stages (well over 100) to clear. Get it... now, damnit!
9.5 Like most great puzzle games, Chu Chu Rocket is simple to look at , easy to learn and more addicting than chocolate-chip crack. And if the multiplayer modes aren't enough, you get a ton of puzzles modes, co-op games and options. This thing will never get old.
8.5 Chu Chu Rocket is as charming as it is addictive. In fact the game is sort of genius in its purity and minimalism.
9.5 This is one of thos games you can get it right way. While the one player mode is fun in its own right (and no doubt take players hours to master), what really makes this game shine are the multiplayer mode. It' s blast to play online even though there's a lil' lag.

Edge 8/10
Effortlessly the most refreshing game to arrive at Edge's office this year, Chu-Chu Rocket presents its case by offering up one of the best multiplayer experiences coupled with Sonic Team's usual attention to gameplay and balance missing from other titles. The comcept is brain-achingly simple - guide as many mice into your rocket as you can within the time allocation. Whoever has the largest amount of mice when the counter reaches zero wins.
Oneplayer mode offers a series of puzzle-based boards for you to clear (some of them fiendish trick) or the opportunity to play the mais game against CPU opponents (whose AI level is selectable).
But absolutely nothing compares with the thrill of competing against human opponents. Either in team play or in a four-player free for all, Chu-Chu Rocket is utterly addictive. It's also one of the most frantic videogame episodes that you're ever likely to engage in; not only is the pace relentless but the game itself will quickly degenerate into treacherous environment in which your opponents will sabotage your carefully planned route , stealing your mice and sendinfg a cat your way instead.
Grab three friends, buy three joypads and load Chu-Chu Rocket. This is videogaming excellence in its purest form.

7 .Shenmue 2 (2001)
RPG/ Action, Sega AM2, 1 Player 16 VOTES

Gamespot 8.7
If you've played the original Shenmue, you'll know what to expect from Shenmue II's gameplay. You'll go through the various locations you find yourself in, talking to people, solving puzzles, learning new moves, and soaking up the local atmosphere until your watch alarm goes off and you have to call it a day. While the basic control is exactly the same, there have been some refinements that make the gameplay better overall.
The new tweaks to the gameplay, combined with better pacing in its storytelling, make Shenmue II a better game to play through overall. It's rare that you'll find yourself wandering cluelessly through the streets thanks to the support system in the game--you'll be able to save anywhere, and NPCs are far more useful, as is Ryo's notebook. The only slow spots may come when you work to earn money, which you'll need to progress through certain parts of the game.
Building on the cinematic feel of its predecessor, Shenmue II's visuals are far more polished in terms of camera work. The flythroughs of new locations and when the time of day changes maintain a strong visual style. During cutscenes, the camera is constantly in motion, offering unique angles and fluid movement that keeps the game visually interesting.
It's a shame Shenmue II will never see the light of day on the Dreamcast in the US. Its level of polish, technical prowess, and creativity make it one of the DC's finest titles. Fans of the series owe it to themselves to track it down and play it via Japanese or European import.

Edge: 8/10
Following on from Ryo Hazuki's first adventure, which sae his father murder at hands from Lan Di, Shenmue II places you on the warf in Hong Kong ready to tackle chapters 2-5 of this epic tale.
There are no major changes to the formula which underpinned the excellent first game.
Ryo still must find his way through the adventure by collecting guidance from the local community with the odd Quick Time Action event, fighting sequence or mini-game breaking up the intrigue of day-to-day investigations. The game isn't without its flaws though. The control mechanism is just unwieldy as before [and some] slowdown.
While the cut-scenes are as elegant as those of the predecessor, the narrative is more enthralling and surprising.
Shenmue II demands a huge investiment of time and patience, but those willing to make the effort will be rewarded with a scintillating experience.

6. Crazy Taxi (2000)
Racing, Hitmaker, 1 Player 20 VOTES

Computer and Video Games 5/5
You blast through shortcuts in constant race against the clock to get your passengers to their destinations, But mad-in-the-head action isn't the only thing that shoves Crazy Taxi to the top of the pile. Just take a look at the visuals and when this baby moves at full speed, there's no loss of detail or glitching anywhere. But what reaaly puts Crazy Taxi in a league of its own on the Dreamcast is the sheer fun you have while playing it. Racing against the clock, knowing that your next mistake will end your game, is a pure adrenaline rush.
As a conversion, it's flawless and Sega has added a new Dreamcast exclusive mode to offer more of a challenge to arcade veterans. Going back to the old style of seeing who can beat a high score rather then just seeing who can get furthest suits Crazy Taxi perfectly. One of the best arcade conversions to date, and certainly the most fun game on the Dreamcast

EGM:
Crazy Taxi doesn't get bogged down with overly complex concepts or rules... your task is simple; make as much money as you can before you ran out of time. With that in mind, the frenetic pace of the action drives you to take trisks and hurdle about the streets, leaping over other cars and smashing through anything that gets in the way. With the grinding tunes of The Offspring and Bad Religion in the background too, this is a truly exhilarating game. As it is though, everyone here became fiercely competitive as we passed the joypad around trying to beat each other's score. Now when was the last time you did that?
If nothing else, Crazy Taxi is proof that old school gameplay values are still alive and well and still capable of being the driving force behind a really good quality game. After mastering the controls, we defy anyone not to be completely addicted to the thing.
9.5 It's fast, it's immediately gratifying, and doesn't waste time with realism or "rules". Pretty much everything goes and players of any ability will be able to appreciate the game's qualities. It's not the deepest game ever - but it's certainly something to make you proud you own a Dreamcast.
9.0 I have never played a game that so accurately captures the arcade experience and plops it right down in the middle of your home. Graphically and otherwise, CT is a game you should have in your DC library.
9.0 There's virtually no learning curve involved, Simplicity aside, there's enough gameplay to keep you interested for a long time.
9.0 Crazi Taxi is testament to the incredible power and versatility behind the Naomi/Dreamcast alliance. The cities are huge and its inhabitants are full of personality. Crazy taxi strikes a perfect balance between arcade action , and subtle gameplay techniques.

5. Skies of Arcadia (2000)
RPG, Overworks, 1 Player 20 VOTES

EGM
Sega was not trying to create a simply pretty game or an online adventure, instead they concentrated on crafting a deep and moving role playing experience, something we must admit they succeeded in wonderfully.
With Arcadia, Sega returns to the roots of what makes and RPG great - the feelings of discovery and adventure. While you have to do things in a certain order, Skies of Arcadia allows you to travel across vast areas nearly whenever you want, giving the game a very non-linear feel - in stark contrast to Grandia II.
In many ways Arcadia is the next Phantasy Star, and not just because of who's on the development staff - it's also selling horribly in Japan, a performance similar to Sega's original flagship RPG series.
9.5 The story in Arcadia is amazing, not to mention insanely long (there's a very good reason why this gane comes in two CDs, and no, it's not because of CG movies), the characters are full of life, and the graphics , while plain in some areas, are simply breathtaking in others. But the reason I love this game so much is because Arcadia is a real, true-to-goodness traditional RPG filled with all the classic traits that make these games great, but still featuring new aspects to give it a very unique feel.
9.0 Not since Panzer Dragoon Saga has Sega hosted such an engaging RPG on one of its platforms. Combining some of the best features from old and new game influences, SoA outshines some of Square's best efforts at times. The diverse musical score, while not phenomenal, keeps you from wanting to kill the volume after five minutes - a big plus. SoA's a truly must have for RPG gamers.
9.5 Easily the best-looking RPG yet (believe me, get to disc two), Skies of Arcadia lives up to the hype that its Phantasy Star lineage provides. Once you obtain your own ship, start acquiring a crew, and customize the bejeezus out of your island base, the game gets even cooler. While it's not expected for any RPG to reach the heights set by Final Fantasy, Skkies is as good as any Rpg you'll find.Get it.

Gamespot 9.2
Skies of Arcadia is a classical role-playing game at its very core, and it uses a lot of the conventions you may be used to. Its hero is Vyse, a valiant but mischievous young air pirate who sails the skies of Arcadia with his pirate clan, the Blue Rogues. Arcadia is an unusual land - its continents are actually giant landmasses suspended high up in the sky, and magic-powered sailing ships are used by its inhabitants to traverse the vast expanses between these islands.
The first couple of plot sequences give the impression that Skies of Arcadia is merely a standard, derivative role-playing game that's just like countless others. But Skies of Arcadia quickly takes off, and the further it progresses, the more impressive it becomes. What seems like a straightforward story soon becomes much more interesting, and it begins to take many unexpected turns as Vyse and his companions are whisked off to lush new areas.
Rather than use the conventional overhead perspective of most role-playing games, Skies of Arcadia uses a third-person chase camera view that's more common to action games like Mario 64. This third-person view works great for navigating the game's towns and dungeons, and it lets you see a lot more detail in the surrounding environments.
A fundamental component of most any console role-playing game is random monster encounters, and Skies of Arcadia has them in droves. At first, the battles seem to occur in excess. Vyse and crew can be attacked at any time while flying a ship through the skies, as well as while traveling in dungeons or certain other locations. But as the party gains experience, it will gain special attacks that make the flow of battle much smoother, thereby alleviating the stress that comes with the constant random attacks.
Skies of Arcadia is the product of a legacy of role-playing games that hearkens back to Sega's earliest days in the home console market. The game's developer, Overworks, was responsible for the first, second, and fourth games in Sega's classic Phantasy Star series, which is partly why Skies of Arcadia got so much attention when it was first announced last year. Yet the game lives up the high expectations. It's the Dreamcast role-playing game you've been waiting for.

4. Shenmue (1999)
RPG/Action, Sega AM2/Scarab, 1 Player 21 VOTES

EGM
It seems like we've been waiting a lifetime for Yu Suzuki's baby to hit our shores. Shenmue, like so many other Sega titles, promises to push the envelope and break new ground in the adventure game genre, and it does just that. The exploration, Quick Time Events (think of Dragon's Lair) and free battle (now think watered-down Virtua Fighter) all flow together very well to tell an engaging story that only suffers once at the start of disc three.
What makes this game, though, are all the extra things Ryo can do. And unlike traditional RPGs, you really fel like you're living the life of Ryo, out to avenge his father's murder.Shenmue pretty much defines a whole new genre, and will leave anyone who manages tot finish the game with high expectations fot the sequel.
9.5 Shenmue starts out really slowly, but the jaw-dropping graphics are more than enough to keep you interested, as is the opportunity to interact with everyone and everything you see. Once the story really does get under way, though, it's hard to put the game down. Some may view as an overhyped tech demo for Dreamcast, but Shenmue is much more. I've never played a game that integrated so many different genres so well. The real beauty of Shenmue, though, is the incredible amount of extra things you can find and do throughout the adventure.
As far as I'm concerned, Yu Suzuki succeeded in realizing his vision for Shenmue, and here's hoping more follow.
8.5 You can interact with just about everything in a verbal or tactile manner. On the opposite end of the spectrum lies some pretty weak voice acting and translation, which could be avoided with mere subtitles. Because of the obviously Japanese setting, keeping the native language audible would have worked exceptionally. Despite its shortcomings, Shenmue is a uniquely engaging gaming experience.
8.0 You spend way, way too much time in stunted conversations, and with no way to speed up the time you often have to just wait, bored off your butt (the minigames help for a bit, but get old). When you are in the action sequences or when the story is actually progressing, there is nothing like it. Impressive but I wanted more excitement.

IGN 9.7
I can't think of any console game that even begins to put itself in an equal class of graphical quality and style with Shenmue. The goal of creating a realistic virtual world has never been realized till now, and while Shenmue doesn't give you absolute freedom to roam everywhere, it certainly feels like you can go anywhere in this game.
While far from perfect, communicating with other characters is always fun. Most of the people you meet will have their own set of characteristics giving Ryo an impressive supporting cast.
The act of classification is done for the sake of simplifying ideas to ease comprehension. Somehow, the video game industry loves to go beyond ease of comprehension... nowadays, new categories are created in the video game industry just so products can be declared "first of its kind" or have a better chance at end of the year awards. This causes a problem for Shenmue because it combines elements from all types of categories and doesn't specialize in any. Is it considered an RPG because of its leveling up of attacks and interaction with NPCs (non-player characters for you non-D&D types), or is it considered a fighting game because of its solid 3D fighting game engine? Perhaps its an 3D adventure game due to the immense exploration you'll be doing, but what about the Quick Timer Events? Does that make it an action game?
These are the questions that begged to be answered but all one needs to do to find the answer is to be aware of the goal that Yu Suzuki set out, and that was in "pursuing reality".
Then, there are those guys without a Dreamcast... and they may or may not be intrigued by Shenmue but they're probably not going to get a Dreamcast just for Shenmue. You can hear their claims of "waiting for Mario on Game Cube", or "Metal Gear Solid 2 will be better on PlayStation 2", or "Microsoft will buy them all out and X-Box will rule the world". And "they" will pass on buying Shenmue; though "they" hear it is a landmark video game that no one should miss, and it boasts an incredible world to explore and a myriad of things to do, and it incorporates a solid combat system, AND it displays some of the best visuals ever on a console, "they" might say that the camera gets in the way of combat, that there's slowdown when Ryo is around a lot of people, that they don't like the VFstyle of combat, or cite other minor flaws this game may contain. But the strongest and most likely reason is they don't believe in SEGA; that SEGA will only produce two chapters of Shenmue then call the whole thing off. "They" will relish that reasoning and keep reminding those that did buy Shenmue that SEGA is going down.

Perhaps that will happen. Perhaps SEGA will call the whole thing off, leaving us Shenmue fans in the dust. If that were to happen, I would savor the gaming wonderful moments the first chapter of Shenmue gave me, but yes, I will be sad.

However, let me ask you this question: What if Shenmue succeeds and continues all 16 chapters, with each chapter being of equal or better quality than the first chapter?

That's right... "they" will miss being part of video game history. Sad, isn't it?

3. Jet Grind Radio/ Jet Set Radio (2000)
Action, Smilebit, 1 Player 22 VOTES

EGM
Jet Grind Radio is like nothing that I've ever played before. I'd try to draw a comparison to other games but it's not possible. From racing you fellow "Rudies" around town to leave your mark on every flat surface in sight, JGR always kept me coming back for more.
9.0 The game is a godsend. Pioneering the cel-shading technique that will become commonplace in no time, Jet Grind Radio is the sweetest-looking game in town. Couple that with the simple but engaging gameplay and an ass-kicking soundtrack, and the package is practically unbeatable. Why this didn't sell in Japan is beyond me, but you'd be making a mistake if you didn't pick this one up.
9.0 This is one of those rare games that looks so damn good it's fun just to watch other people play. Oh yeah, Jet Grind Radio is a blast to play too. There are a couple of annoyances (...) but overall, JGR is Sega at it's finest: unique, stylish and just plain fun.

Gamespot 9.0
At first glance, Jet Grind Radio looks like an attempt to cash in on the recent skateboarding craze - but nothing could be farther from the truth. Sega's Jet Grind Radio is a game full of redefinitions, forcing you to really rethink what you expect out of a game from an audio/visual standpoint while delivering some exciting, balanced gameplay at the same time.
The game moves at a very nice pace. In the beginning, you have to accomplish a brief set of training exercises that show you the basics of skating, painting, and tricks. The game's first few levels are extremely easy to finish, but after completing the first round of levels and inducting a few new members into your skate posse, the game starts to get rough.
A lot has been said about Jet Grind Radio's graphics in the months leading up to its release, and it's definitely worth repeating here: This game looks simply incredible. The characters and environments aren't made up of that many polygons, but the smooth animation and an amazing use of cel shading (which places a black outline around some of the polys, giving them an almost hand-drawn look - expect to see lots of games stealing this effect in the near future) make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. The game's sound effects and music match the high marks earned by the graphics. The effects, while mostly consisting of grinding noises and the whoosh of spray-paint cans doing their thing, are well done, and the music is an amazing collection of hip-hop beats that fit the action perfectly.
Jet Grind Radio is one of those "something for everyone" games that really make a perfect addition to the Dreamcast library that no one should be without.

2. Soul Calibur (1999)
Fighting, Namco, 2 Players 23 VOTES

Famitsu 10/10/10/10 (only Zelda 64 did it before in Famitsu)

EGM
Thanks to the consistent 60 fps animation, the controls are responsive, intuitive, and best of all, they make sense. With the 8-Way Run system, moving out of corners becomes an important staple of winning strategy. If you lose to a nasty ring-out, it's really nobody's fault but your own. And don't think you are going to master Soul Calibur very quickly, because you are not. Just because you know all the moves and can Guard Impact on a dime doesn't guarantee you a victory. Half of any good fighting game is the freedom it gives you to play mind games on your opponent. Soul Calibur's perfect controls seamless interface and Guard Cancelling system make it an intense battle of psyches. After playing Soul Calibur, there's no turning back... no other 3D fighter even comes close. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.
10 There's so much strategy and there are so may cool moves that this game will keep you going for months. I can't think of anything wrong with it. The Vs. and Arcade modes are enough... but all the extra modes offer so many rewards that it'll keep you hooked. The perfect showcase game. The perfect 3D fighter.
10 There is no better 3D fighting game on the market right now, period.The fighting engine is unbelievable deep, yet intuitive (and leagues better than Soul Blade's). The hidden goods are well worth opening up and much more rewarding than a Force or Ball mode. It's absolutely amazing.
10 Without a doubt, this is the best-looking and playing fighting game I've ever played. Namco has outdone themselves this time, putting together a game that nont only looks fantastic, but has the dept we've all come to expect from Soul Blade/Edge series. Mission Battles alone pump up the hours you'll spend on this game not only playing against friends but unlocking the secrets of this game has.

IGN 10
Where, oh where to begin? How about with the feature of the game that makes me far more interested in playing it than playing Virtua Fighter or Tekken: the story and characters.
Of course, try as a might, some people just won't take interest in the storylines or characters. There are the graphics nuts out there, for instance, whose interest in the product will be for nothing more than its graphical splendor. These individuals can take solace in the fact that Soul Calibur is a indeed a beautiful game. In fact, it's probably the most graphically impressive title you'll see on the American DC this year.
The best part of the game's graphics, though, doesn't lie in its models, but rather in its animation. A quick look at the hidden exhibition mode, in which the characters practice their katas (fighting patterns) will reveal a level of animation closer to reality than has ever been successfully achieved in the arcade or home. The game is actually much improved over its arcade counterpart in this area.
Few games come to mind as "required purchases," games that are so good that they have to be a part of your lineup. The original Soul Edge was such a game, and now Soul Calibur has earned a place alongside its brother. It may or may not be the most complicated fighting game out there - I'm not bold enough to make such a statement. I am bold enough, though, to state that I've never had so much fun with a fighting game than I had when playing Soul Calibur.

Gamespot: 10
Let's get one thing out of the way: Soul Calibur is the best 3D fighting game ever released in the arcades. Better than Virtua Fighter 3. Better than Tekken 3. If that weren't enough, the Dreamcast version one-ups the original arcade release in just about every way imaginable.
Beyond the obvious visual enhancements are the sound and soundtrack supporting it. Making good use of the Dreamcast's powerful Yamaha soundboard, Soul Calibur cranks out crystal-clear weapon effects, recorded at the highest sample rates. While certain effects (like falling in the water) lack some clarity, it's hardly as important as the metallic clanging you hear. Other ambient sounds like footsteps take on a different tone depending on whether you're running on stone or wood. Voice samples are also extremely clear, currently spoken in robust Japanese. The music is an appropriately medieval-sounding score, presumably recorded with a full symphonic orchestra. The numerous compositions have been written with a dynamically epic feel, although there are moments when the cacophony takes a backseat to quieter, more florid pieces.
What most gamers curious about Soul Calibur will want to know are what sort of exclusive features are included. Namco, after all, is known for its superlative home conversions, adding awesome modes and numerous other features, which vastly increases the replay value of the usually short arcade experience. Aside from the usual arcade mode, there are versus, team battle, time attack, survival, extra survival, practice, Internet, mission battle, and museum modes. While the majority of these modes are by now considered staples in the fighting game genre, the mission and museum modes that will pique most people's interest.
Kicking out an unprecedented number of special effects at an unassailable 60fps, all in mega-high resolution, with supercharged gameplay nailing it all down, the only way this game will look any better is to play it using Sega's PC monitor-compatible VGA box. If you have one of those, the game is on a completely different visual level than anything else out there. While it may seem bandwagon-esque to say this game is worthy of a perfect score, it really isn't much of a stretch to say it is. Yes, it is a fighting game, a genre with a fairly limited scope, but insofar as fighting games go, Soul Calibur is mind-numbing perfection. Namco has taken the best and made it considerably better. The level at which the company has done so is practically unprecedented. Think state of the art. Absolutely brilliant in all aspects, as far as games of this type go, Soul Calibur is the undisputed king of the hill. It is essential in any gamer's collection.

1. Sonic Adventure (1998)
Action, Sonic Team, 1 Player 24 VOTES

EGM
Adventure is a masterpiece of a game, every inch finely detailed. It proves that you can make a 3D game that has the gameplay of a classic 2D platformer. This is the first platform game I can think of where the story intertwined between seven playable characters so well and yet so differently. Each of SA's characters has new levels, bosses and objectives, making it feel like a new game with each one (and play though all of them to see the games's real end). Only problme with this game is the camera. It takes getting used to as its switches automatically, causing your directional pad to switch too. Even though it's fixed up quite a bit from the Japanese version, it's a long way from perfect. A true classic, and this is just the first generation.
9.0 This is one of those must-buy launch titles. What really blows me away is the imaginative level design - intense is only one of the words that come to mind. The sheer amount of speed of the thing is most impressive as well. Last thing, seven characters each with multiple routes makes for replay value galore.
9.5 Even with all of the old school Sonic nostalgia attached, Adventure is a game you should pick up for your Dreamcast. It really captures all of the great things from 16-Bit Sonic games and puts them into a natural, awe-inspiring 3D world, The only problems that I have with Adventure is the camera and the characters voices. But overall, it rocks!
8.5 What's more impressive is that it manages to capture the spirit of the old 2D games in a gorgeous 3D environment. Sure, it may have some camera problemas, and some of the boss fights might be intensely infuriating... but this is a great game with plent to it. Crank the sound ifyou love hair metal.

Gamespot: 9.2
While Sonic's game is roughly twice as long and a far more thrilling ride, each character's game is fun in its own way. Even with the characters' respective play differences, Sonic Adventure's design is very straightforward and linear, so the game is always fast and fun. Yes, fast - Sonic is easily the fastest 3D platformer to date, setting the game apart from the largely collection- and exploration-based games that fill the market. The game's few bosses are well done and inventive, but they only seem to whet the player's appetite for more - or at least more difficult ones.
While its level design almost never ceases to amuse, Sonic does have a few signs of rushed production that directly affect gameplay. The game's camera is the most notable issue, but collision problems occasionally show up, as well. Most of the time, the camera doesn't get in the way of play, but it's annoyingly spastic in tight areas, and it can get caught under floors and behind walls, sometimes resulting in unnecessary deaths. Collision problems can also result in Sonic's untimely demise, sometimes causing Sonic to careen straight through a normally solid wall.
Under the high-resolution, mip-mapping, and other graphical buzzwords lies a genuinely attractive game. The game's huge, detailed environments exude the visual style that made the Sonic games some of the best-looking on the Genesis. The textures are crisp and varied, and the midlevel load times are short and sweet.
Sonic Adventure is a must-have game for the Dreamcast, and it's a blast for the entire twenty-odd hours of gameplay. With the Chao-breeding simulation and the minigames, Sonic offers much more beyond the completion of its story. Fans of the Sonic series will definitely be pleased with Sonic Adventure - it truly carries and builds on the style of the original games. Even with its flaws, Sonic Team has produced a 3D experience unlike any to date.

Computer and Video Games 5/5:
Every once a while comes a game that completely blows you away and is unlike anything else you've ever seen before. Sonic is that kind of game. Amazing in every way, from mind-blowing graphics and super sonoc speed to the actual size of game itself. Its huge.
The extra characters you get to play allow you to enjoy the design of levels in different ways. Sonic speed through every location so you don't have time to admire the smallers details, while other characters allow you to do this.
One of best features in the game are the incredible A-Life: little creatures that need you help to evolve and survive. By freeing animals in the main levels, you can breed them with A-Life.
Sonic is a real showcase game: it demonstrates the power of Dreamcast while at same time is fantastic.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, all of the games I still own on Dreamcast, including Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi 2, MvC2, Capcom vs SNK 2, Power Stone 2, etc.

Dream Content results
OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
The Dream Content!
The Dream Content was the bonus section of the lists. I wanted to talk a little more about these games.
Segagaga was the most voted with 6 points, followed by Capcom's RPG Eldorado Gate, with 3 citations. Half Life, Soul Reaver 2 and Monkey Ball had two citations each and all the other games had only one point each.

Segagaga/SGGG (Translation)

The game developed for Sega after the company announced the end of Dreamcast. In this RPG you are a Sega's fan that had to save it from being bankrupted, being part of the program called "Sega Simulator".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV7FNMnCgXY
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

El-Dorado Gate (Translation)

So here's the a quickly preview from EGM:
"The first edition of Capcom's serial RPG is out now in Japan. The graphics certainly have some style: characters by Final Fantasy artist Yoshitaka Amano and nice, soft Saga Frontier 2-ish backgrounds, but the battle look rather dull. The elemental-based combat system is cool, though, and while the game may be short (about five hours or so), it's also quite cheap."
The game had 7 volumes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisCWtOygCo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Reaver 2 (Cancelled)
45535-legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-dreamcast-screenshot-portals-are.jpg

45549-legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-dreamcast-screenshot-and-all-was.jpg

Soul Reaver 2 is a sequel of Soul Reaver 1 (well... that's obvious...). It was developed for Sega Dreamcast and Playstation 2 but only the PS2 version came to reality. The Dreamcast version was cancelled because the poor sales of Dreamcast and followed by the end of production of it announced by Sega in 2001. While I didn't find anywhere how complete was this version of the game, there are some screenshots available on the internet.

Monkey ball (port)

Monkey ball is a Sega Naomi game released exclusively for Arcades. Since it's a Naomi game, porting wouldn't be very difficult. This game was never ported anywhere.
I tried to play and record my gameplay but I failed hard. The sequel (Super Monkey Ball) had a Game Cube port.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1E7sWbTN_U

Half Life (Cancelled)
Half Life was the "best first person shooter of all time". Announced as a late 2000 release, the game was delayed to June 2001. But then in early 2001, Sega announced the production of Dreamcast would be ceased. Then, some weeks before the game's release, Sierra On-Line announced that the port of the game was cancelled due "changing market conditions". Some magazines even had reviews and guides for the game.
Even though, years after, the game's ISO was leaked and is playable for Dreamcast.
Computer and Video Games gave a 5/5 stars for the game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAdyzzDltHM

Agartha (Cancelled)
During the winter of 1929 in a Romanian village that was partially destroyed by a landslide that occurred during a mysterious earthquake, a subterranean city exists called Agartha. This is where evil is being kept prisoner and is desperate to escape. Kirk the human hero will encounter a series of characters from villages, the living dead, fanatics from an evil sect, monsters, demons, solider monks, priests, archangels and the Sentinel who is the ultimate personification of evil. As Kirk you can decide to save as many innocent people as possible or to trigger the arrival of chaos on earth. As Kirk's morals waver between good and evil, this ambiguity changes the aims of the adventure and the narration of the story.

Agartha is a cancelled horror adventure that was planned by the French softhouse No Cliché (Toy Commander) for the Sega Dreamcast.
Here's one the developers quotes about the state of the game in unseen64:

www.unseen64.net

Agartha [Dreamcast - Cancelled] - Unseen64

Preserving Details, Screenshots, Videos & more Lost Media for Agartha [Dreamcast - Cancelled] Help us to remember cancelled video games!

At that time, the story was written and being scrutinized by the team. I would say that 10-15 % of the landscape was completed. We only had one main moving character, a fistful of animated living deads and furnitures.
The studio bosses (we were Sega 'internals') were on a meeting with Sega Europe to increase the production team capacity when they were told that Dreamcast was cancelled and all dev studios were being closed or sold. A brutal ending for the team (based on 'Alone in the dark' originators) and therefore for this exciting production.
And yes, Cursed Moutain looks like it. But we had a better story ;-)

www.youtube.com

Agartha Demo [Dreamcast Prototype] - [Clean Sequences]

This shows an Agartha demo build which is believed to be dated from March 09, 2001. Gameplay does not exist in this build, however it's possible to bring up ...

Fist of North Star (port)

Also known as Hokuto no Ken, it was a game developed in 2005 by Arc System Works and produced by Sega in Atomiswave arcade. Ported in 2008 for PS2.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Panzer Dragoon Orta or Gunvalkyrie
Excerpt from Sega Retro:

According to Takayuki Kawagoe, despite fan pressure, there were no plans in place to bring a Panzer Dragoon title to the Sega Dreamcast, with the team suggesting the original Saturn trilogy had reached a "logical conclusion". The idea of bringing a game to the Xbox came following Smilebit's research into the console during the development of Jet Set Radio Future and Gunvalkyrie.
Gunvalkyrie, on the other hand has some footage for Dreamcast.
www.youtube.com

GunValkyrie Dreamcast Beta Trailer (Unreleased)

http://www.unseen64.nethttp://www.segagagadomain.com

Sakura Wars 3 and 4 (translation):
The first 4 titles of this series were never localized (there's a fan translation for the first game for Sega Saturn). Also, there' s a group that is translating the 3rd game, for Dreamcast.
www.youtube.com

Sakura Wars 3 Gameplay, With VMU Screen

Footage of the first battle in Sakura Wars 3 (also known as Sakura Taisen 3). During battles, the Visual Memory Unit (memory card) displays a real-time map a...
www.youtube.com

Sakura Wars 3 English Translation Project - Update #1

This video is from a translation project that is a work in progress. All content is subject to change.We are urgently seeking Dreamcast hackers experienced i...

Propeller's Arena (Cancelled):

The game was finished but it didn't released because 9/11. It was an airplanes battle game where you had to shoot e defeat the other 3. The game was leaked and it's possible to play it.

www.youtube.com

Propeller Arena (2001) Playthrough (Cancelled because of 9/11) SEGA Dreamcast / iPlaySEGA

Yu Suzuki's lost Masterpiece...This amazing game was cancelled because of the tragic events of 9/11...We will NEVER forget!!Full "Shameless Cats" playthrough...

The Rhapsody of Zephyr (translation)

This SRPG is based in Dumas' book The Count of Monte Cristo (don't watch the movie, the book is infinitely better). See the video (the others in youtube was the PS2 or playing it in the Windows, but this one listed below is played on Dreamcast even with low quality of the image).
www.youtube.com

"Rhapsody of Zephyr" Dreamcast

Looks wise it is similar to FFIII and fighting wise is kind of resembles Shining Force CD.

Fish Life
This video explains about what it is:
youtu.be

Juppon Gatana - Sega Fish Life [Exclusive Close up] (ENG)

Press here for more information!√ Versión en Español del Video: https://youtu.be/lE75UeWSmZ8Released in June, 2000. This console was built in order to be a ...

Bleemcast! Metal Gear Solid
Bleem! was some kind of Playstation emulator that could play the games with enhanced graphics on Dreamcast. Of course, Sony wasn't very happy with it and then sued Bleem! for unfair competition. Even losing the case, Sony kept suing them and even (according to wikipedia) threatened retailers selling this products. With no money to pay the defense costs, bleem went out of bussiness, but before that released Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3.

Shenmue 3:
The only versions that were greenlighted for Dreamcast were I and II. Could a Shenmue 3 on the old engine be a better game? Maybe, who knows...

The final Update
OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
THE FINAL UPDATE!!!

The second update is about the other games. These 4 games were before in the TOP 21 but after the last wave of lists, they stayed behind:

Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting (2001)
Fighting, Capcom, 2 Players

Gamespot 7.9
Capcom vs. SNK 2 adds some new characters, moves, game mechanics, backgrounds, and music. There's a lot of the same graphics, sounds, and gameplay. The changes in the game will have a more significant impact depending on how serious you are about your 2D fighters. The new additions make the game technically superior to the first.
Depending on how you count, Capcom vs. SNK 2 adds about half a dozen new characters to the original. There are close to 40 different characters available in the game, though of course not all of them are completely unique.
Aside from all the characters, perhaps the most interesting gameplay feature in Capcom vs. SNK 2 is the availability of six different fighting styles to choose from, compared with two in the original. The game calls these "grooves," and they're designed to mimic the gameplay styles of previous Capcom and SNK fighting games.
The game has a few hidden secrets, the most interesting of which is certainly the option to create your own groove.
Capcom vs. SNK 2 offers just enough additions and changes to be justifiable as the next complete game in the series, though it doesn't take any major detours. If by chance you missed out on the first game, you'll find that Capcom vs. SNK 2 is one of the best 2D fighting games available. It's cut from the same cloth as countless other Capcom fighting games, but it's got more features, more characters, and more depth than a lot of them.

Virtual Tennis (2000)
Sports, Sega AM3/ Hitmaker, 4 Players

EGM:
I've said several times in the last year but here it goes anyway - this is the most incredible-looking sports game I've ever seen. The intuitive controls and character reaction time are right on target. Beginners just move to the ball and hit the button, but it's much harder to exploit the techniques needed to really jam. You will even find some nifty mini-games to prepare you for the harder tournaments. My only knock on the game is the replay value.
8.0 With an emphasis on easy gameplay and an arcadey feel,I wondered how virtua Tennis would compare with its sins cousins of the vaunted "2K" series. Well, for all the sim features that may not be present, the foundation of each game succeeds in fast, fun and varied action.
9.5 Virtua Tennis has the elusive magic that draws everyone in - hardcore sports fans and casual gamers alike. This is more than a hopelessly addictive tennis game, my friends, it is a tennis experience. I haven't yelled at a game, rejoiced at a game, and cried with a game the way I did in VT's matches. Buy it. Buy it now.

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram MSBS (1999)
Action, CRI, 2 Players

EGM: 8.5
Virtual On gained a sort of cult following on the Saturn, and it's safe to say fans of the original will be ga-ga over Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram. It seems like Activision knows how to not mess with a good thing, so you're basically getting the Japanese version of the game. VO:OT features a full-single player mode, a somewhat underwhelming training section and the always-exciting split-screen multiplayer mode. In two-player mode you have the choice of a horizontal or vertical split as well two different settings featuring "windows" that don't fill up the screen. Although the windows are tad small, , they don't suffer from slowdown seen in the full screen-split modes. The only other downfall is the learning curve using the standard DC controllers, Otherwise it's full-speed mech fighting action the way it's meant to be. This is a solid addition to any DC action fan's library.

Phantasy Star Online (2000)
RPG, Sonic Team, 1 Player

Edge: 9/10
It looks heavenly from the images, but when people have such high expectations from a game, it's easy to be suckered into believing something's there when it's not. Consume the rumours and predictions across the internet and you'll find it's a socially acceptable EverQuest or it's Diablo II in full 3D, or it's what happens when marshmallow J-Pop meets Dungeons & Dragons. There's some truth in all of these assertions but in reality Phantasy Star Online deserves better than to be described as a corruption or advancement of an existing title: this is something new, and it feels like an epiphany.
Without a strafe or Z-lock, the game combat feels more Gauntlet than Zelda. In fact, it cheapens the game to such an extent that the action is quickly boring as one player mode and provides little long term interest. But why should anyone expect it to? The game is titled Phantasy Star Online for a reason and those ignoring this will be disappointed by the endless repetition.
Connect, though, and suddenly the combat dnamic falls into place. Different team combinations bring different gameplans, experienced players help the weak, and the items are divided fairly amongst the fighters. PSO is essentially a co-operative game and you'll be hard pressed to find a friendlier online community. Everyone watches each other's backs. Everyone smiles when a dragon is slayed.
It's genuinely rare that a game both excels and innovates to this extent while remaining effortlessly simple. Some will curse that simplicity, declare the game as too straightforward or the storyline overly linear. They're missing the point. Atmospherically, Phantasy Star Online is absolutely without rival, and that's what makes it unmissable. More simply, it's a dream.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

And finally each game that got at least 1 vote/ citation is listed below. First, the number of votes and then the game.

7 Capcom vs SNK 2 (position 23)
6 Cannon Spike
6 Cosmic Smash
6 Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
6 Phantasy Star Online
6 Rayman 2
6 Virtua Tennis
5 Dead or Alive 2
5 Ecco the Dolphin: Defenders of the future
5 Samba De Amigo
5 Seaman
4 Blue Stinger