Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
hova1 said:
there's no way that this would ever happen.
There is a PC emulator, with afaik no sources released. So it would require one to write a new one from scratch or hope to receive the sources. Don't see it happening soon but if someone feels like picking it up, you never know
smile.gif
. It's not like the CD-i was very powerfull..

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Scorpei said:
It's not like the CD-i was very powerfull..

While that may be the case think about the medium it uses for a moment, hell its in the name! CDs hold 700mb of data and the DS only has 4mb of RAM, we would need some kind of streaming process which would make any emulation slow (look at SnEmul when it tries to play DK Country without a memory pack but times it by a lot more)

Other Problem: The CDi has a 15mhz CPU, we have trouble emulating the 3mhz SNES processor and people have said that it would be impossible to emulate the SuperFX chip which is 10mhz

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Jamstruth said:
While that may be the case think about the medium it uses for a moment, hell its in the name! CDs hold 700mb of data and the DS only has 4mb of RAM, we would need some kind of streaming process which would make any emulation slow

rolleyes.gif

You don't have to load the entire game into RAM at once. It's like saying the DS can't run DS games because it only has 4 MB of RAM while DS games are up to 256 MBs. The CD-i didn't load the entire CD into memory at once either. CD-i games have load times and load routines, and they can wait (without crashing) for the system to load the necessary data from the CD (and that can be used in emulation, because the game "knows" how to wait while the emulator does the loading). And dince it only had 1 MB of RAM, neither the total game size nor the RAM size aren't a problem.

The CPU, on the other hand, might be.

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
The CPU, on the other hand, might be.

Yes, the CPU is possible to emulate on the DS. The CD-i uses a 68070 cpu, which is very similar to the 68000 used by the older macintosh computers. A port of minivmac exists for the DS, and while it is a bit slow, it does work.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
godzilla3456 said:
Well I was wondering if anyone has/make a Philips CD-i Emulator for the DS?
Kind of interested in those sad Zelda spin-offs lol
But even if it could would you really want to play those games? I own one of 'em (and a CD-I obviously) and sad doesn't even begin to describe it
tongue.gif

player1244

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jamstruth said:
...Other Problem: The CDi has a 15mhz CPU, we have trouble emulating the 3mhz SNES processor and people have said that it would be impossible to emulate the SuperFX chip which is 10mhzQUOTE(Jotokun @ Oct 20 2009, 02:02 AM) Yes, the CPU is possible to emulate on the DS. The CD-i uses a 68070 cpu, which is very similar to the 68000 used by the older macintosh computers. A port of minivmac exists for the DS, and while it is a bit slow, it does work.

But a Macintosh 128k (which MinivMacDS emulates) has a 8mhz processor, and it's not really slow in my opinion. I think the CD would be the hardest part to emulate.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The CD-i is one of the worst systems i've ever had the misfortune to play. The controls were terrible and the games were even worse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy